PDA

View Full Version : Gamers...PSP or DS

jcrod
12-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Anyone knows which one will be better. The DS is out right, when is PSP coming out?

My daughter been bugging me for a gameboy advance, but I rather wait and get her the new version. She has a gameboy color now.

SpursWoman
12-08-2004, 12:20 PM
We looked up the DS and it's about $250....I don't know about your daughter, but as many times as I've rescued my son's Gameboy XP from the trash, the washing machine, between the cushions on the couch...etc....I'd go with the least expensive...

:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Where are you looking, SW?

Everywhere I've seen the DS, it's been about $170-$190.

Samurai Jane
12-08-2004, 12:29 PM

Bestbuy.com has it for $150, but they're sold out...

12-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

What the hell is DS and PSP?

Sincerely,

Tragically Unhip

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-08-2004, 12:39 PM
http://www.nintendo.com/systemsds

http://psp.ign.com/

SpursWoman
12-08-2004, 12:49 PM

Online somewhere....

My son asked for it and I was checking it out....after I saw that, and thought about how many times his was almost destroyed, I quit looking. :lol

maxpower
12-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Anyone knows which one will be better. The DS is out right, when is PSP coming out?

My daughter been bugging me for a gameboy advance, but I rather wait and get her the new version. She has a gameboy color now.

DS without a doubt.

The only thing they will have in common is that they are considered
"portable". Aside from that they are geared toward totally different consumer segments.

I don't know that sony even knows what it wants psp to be. Portable gaming platform or portable multimedia player. I think developers may not flock to it based on a few things...it will be expensive, it will probably not be widely adopted, it is somewhat unwieldy, it does not have the pedigree of the nintendo portables...and it may be too advanced for what it will primarily be used for...which will in turn compromise what can be done with it. I can't imagine a contraption that promises to be as advanced as the ps2 to have a great battery life. To achieve that promise, it will have to overcome the limitations imposed by it's portable size.

It's something like putting a V-12 engine into the body of a yugo. In theory it should be able to do what a v-12 can do but the limitations of the components surrounding it will be an obstacle.

Unless you are an early adopter, I'd give the psp a year to find if it has legs. After all it is sony's first foray into handleld market.

Shelly
12-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

What the hell is DS and PSP?

Sincerely,

Tragically Unhip

Don't feel bad...I didn't know either!

What's the big difference between DS and GameBoy Advance SP? Bigger screen?

We have both GB Advance and the SP version.

jcrod
12-08-2004, 01:38 PM
DS without a doubt.

The only thing they will have in common is that they are considered
"portable". Aside from that they are geared toward totally different consumer segments.

I don't know that sony even knows what it wants psp to be. Portable gaming platform or portable multimedia player. I think developers may not flock to it based on a few things...it will be expensive, it will probably not be widely adopted, it is somewhat unwieldy, it does not have the pedigree of the nintendo portables...and it may be too advanced for what it will primarily be used for...which will in turn compromise what can be done with it. I can't imagine a contraption that promises to be as advanced as the ps2 to have a great battery life. To achieve that promise, it will have to overcome the limitations imposed by it's portable size.

It's something like putting a V-12 engine into the body of a yugo. In theory it should be able to do what a v-12 can do but the limitations of the components surrounding it will be an obstacle.

Unless you are an early adopter, I'd give the psp a year to find if it has legs. After all it is sony's first foray into handleld market.

Ok, you convinced me. Thanks. Now to go see if any are left.

gophergeorge
12-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Hell, I must suck as a father.... I just recently bought my kids a PS2

jcrod
12-08-2004, 02:25 PM
^^^You do, you're only about 3yrs late.

LOL, JK.

SpursWoman
12-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Hell, I must suck as a father.... I just recently bought my kids a PS2

Don't feel bad....me, too. And only because the PS1 quit working and I couldn't get it fixed. :lmao

Duff McCartney
12-08-2004, 03:56 PM
I want to get the PSP because I heard it will have MP3 abilities and stuff.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Fuck portable games. I WANT AN IPOD!

JoeChalupa
12-08-2004, 04:51 PM
What is an IPOD?

I too just got a PS2, well last Christmas and still have not mastered any of the games. GTA Vice City is my newest vice though and that game is way old.

Shelly
12-08-2004, 05:27 PM
What is an IPOD?

I too just got a PS2, well last Christmas and still have not mastered any of the games. GTA Vice City is my newest vice though and that game is way old.

An IPOD is an MP3 player