View Full Version : Vassilis Spanoulis, Welcome to San Antonio

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 09:35 PM
If you need directions, call me.

Vassilis Spanoulis

http://www.nba.com/media/act_vassilis_spanoulis.jpg

Background
In 2005-2006

Averaged 15.5 points and 3.1 assists in 23 games of Euroleague play with Panathinaikos AO Athens … shot .618 (84-136 FG) from the field and was .368 (25-68 3FG) from 3-point range … earned 2005-06 All-Euroleague Second-Team honors and a spot in the 2005 Greek All-Star Game … helped Panathinaikos win the 2005-06 Greek National League title and the 2006 Greek National Cup … Panathinaikos advanced all the way to the Euroleague Quarterfinals, where they were defeated by Tau Ceramica Baskonia in a thrilling best-of-three series to advance to the Final Four.

In International Play

Began his career playing with Greek youth teams GS Larissa and Keravnos Larissa … made his debut in the Greek A2 League during the 1999-2000 season with Larissa, playing there through the 2000-01 season … spent four seasons with Maroussi Athens (2001-02 through 2004-05) before joining Panathinaikos (2005-06) … member of the Greek National Team, playing in the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens and the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Japan … led Greece with 22 points in a 101-95 victory over the U.S in the Semifinals of the 2006 FIBA World Championship … his Greek team went on to capture the silver medal in Saitama, Japan … won a gold medal with Greece at the 2005 European Championship … has been a member of the Greek Under-20 National Team, winning a gold medal at the 2002 European Under-20 Championship … his two free throws with 13 seconds helped to seal a 77-73 win over Spain in the gold-medal game in 2002 … was a member of the Greek Junior National Team, capturing a bronze medal at the 2000 European Junior Championship.

In Life

Born Vassilis Spanoulis on Aug. 7, 1982, in Larissa, Greece … name is pronounced Va-SILL-is SPA-new-lis … older brother, Dimitris, also played basketball with GS Larissa.

In Transactions
Selected by Dallas in the second round (50 th overall) of the 2004 NBA Draft … Rockets acquired draft rights from the Mavericks in exchange for Houston’s draft rights to Luis Flores (55 th overall) on June 24, 2004 … signed a multi-year contract with the Rockets on July 19, 2006.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/vassilis_spanoulis/index.html

Marcus Bryant
He's made his last visit already.

Kori Ellis
He's staying in Europe.

timvp
07-12-2007, 09:36 PM
He's never going to play for the Spurs. Read the other thread.

spurscenter
I know guys. Its a post to get to know him.

He is probably lost on the 1604.

DOMINATOR
you forgot his best stat... 10 turnovers a minute

boutons_
07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm miss him already! Good luck, Vassilis! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smicry.gif

AFBlue
07-12-2007, 09:38 PM
So he'll NEVER play in the NBA again...is that right?

timvp
07-12-2007, 09:40 PM
So he'll NEVER play in the NBA again...is that right?

Correct. He wants out of his NBA contract to sign with a Greek team for five years.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 09:41 PM
It'd be hilarious if Buford didn't know he wasn't coming back over.

spurscenter
Spanoulis' NBA rookie season in 2006-07 season saw limited playing time in his rookie season with Houston averaging 8.7 minutes per game, scoring 2.7 points per game on 31.9% field goal shooting, in 31 games played off the bench. [6]

During Spanoulis' first NBA season there was a dispute between him and the team's head coach Jeff Van Gundy over playing time. Much of this stemmed from the team's General Manager Carroll Dawson having promised Spanoulis about 20 minutes of playing time each game off the bench, playing at both of the guard spots. There was an issue between the team's management, Spanoulis, and the coach as well over the contract that Spanoulis had signed. In order to sign with the Rockets and fulfill his dreams of playing in the NBA, Spanoulis took a considerably smaller contract than the one that was being offered to him by his Greek team Panathinaikos. He still had one year under his contract with Panathinaikos, but his buyout was small and could be paid by the Rockets. Panathinkaikos countered the Rockets contract offer of $5,832,000 US dollars (equivalent to 4,665,600 Euros at the time) over 3 years with an offer of 13,200,000 Euros over 5 years, a contract that at the time (July 18th, 2006) was worth the equivalent of $16,500,000.

This meant that Spanoulis essentially agreed to play for Houston at a price of $1,944,000 per season for 3 years, passing up on Panathinaikos' offer of $3,300,000 per season over 5 years, just for a chance of playing in the NBA. Since Spanoulis gave up a total of $10,668,000 in order to play for the Rockets and was promised playing time in return as one of the contract negotiations, it led to a falling out between Spanoulis and the team's coach Van Gundy, after Van Gundy benched Spanoulis, citing that rookie players are dangerous for coaches that are in contract years and that Spanoulis was too foul prone and lacking in outside shooting touch to be a good fit in Van Gundy's offensive system. Van Gundy was in fact in a contract year, as he had just an option year left on his coaching contract with Houston.

After the Rockets organization hired Rick Adelman as the team's new head coach in the off-season, there was a great rave about Spanoulis will shine under the new coach's offense system. However due to "family reasons", Spanoulis decides that he will not remain in the NBA, nor play with any European basketball club but instead going back to his home country.[7] Spanoulis was traded to the San Antonio Spurs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasileios_Spanoulis

AFBlue
Correct. He wants out of his NBA contract to sign with a Greek team for five years.

I wanted that to be rhetorical....so that I wouldn't literally beat my fists against the wall and end up paying for it later....

THANKS!

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 09:43 PM
So basically the Spurs switched international prospect headaches with the Rockets and ended up with a migraine. Fucking awesome.

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Vassilis Spanoulis: "Houston likes me a lot"
by Jorge Sierra / July 30, 2005
You were selected in the NBA Draft last year. Was that a surprise for you or were you expecting it?

Vassilis Spanoulis: Not totally surprised, but a little bit because I hadn't not gone to the United States to take part in workouts like most players do. I went to the United States, but only to Detroit. And the reason was to see the Finals with some people there, not to work out for teams. Houston was finally the team that took me. They had been watching me for thee years, since we took the European Championship in Lisbon with Greece. I was surprised with that, because I was thinking Detroit would take me. I thought they were very interested. But Houston made a trade with Dallas and picked me ahead of the Pistons. And it was a pleasure that Houston did that.

How did you find out that you had been selected?

VS: My agent called me and told me I had been drafted. It was great. And then the Rockets called me. They told me they have been watching me for a long time and that they were very, very, very excited to choose me.

What made you happier: being selected in the NBA Draft or playing in the Olympic Games with Greece?

VS: Oooh... That's a difficult thing. I'd say both. Playing for the national team is great, play for my country... 10 million people is watching you. That's a big thing. But on the other hand, playing in the NBA is my dream. I really want to play there. I can't say. I think you can't compare those two things.

Were you upset with the way things went in Athens for Greece?

VS: Not happy, but not upset. I think we took a good step, because the results of the national team in previous years had not been good. I think we had a good performance and that was a good first step to improve in the future. I have a lot of trust in the people in the national team and the talent we have there. I believe a lot in that group and I think we are going to make something big in future years.

You've had a great year with Maroussi. What do you think are the main reasons you improved so much this season?

VS: The faith in my game. Coach Yannakis had a lot of confidence in me and gave me a lot of freedom. The main thing is I have confidence in myself and I'm very ambitious for the future. I work a lot, many hours after practice. I work a lot on what have been my weaknesses. You know, my shot, my three-point shooting...

Did you stay in touch with the Rockets over the year?

VS: All the time. I spoke like two or three times a month with the Rockets management. Six or seven times some months. And after every game, I speak with the scouts of the team and they say "congratulations" and things about the game. I speak very often with the vice president of the team and they tell me they like me a lot and that they want me very much.

I guess the Rockets wanted you to play in the summer league with them. Why did you decide not to go?

VS: We decided it was the best thing that I take some rest and fix some small injury problems that I've had. I think it was the best to save my body for the national team a little bit and take care of some problems in the knee with a physiotherapist.

You recently signed with Panathinaikos, which is a very big team in Europe. It's a three-year contract, right?

VS: Yeah, three years.

Do you have a clause in the contract that would allow you to leave the team if the Rockets came calling?

VS: Yes, I have opt-out clauses. I have an opt-out clause after the first year of the contract. We decided we should put a buyout option in the contract and we reached an agreement on that.

Do you know how much money would that be?

VS: Hmmm... I think it's around $400,000 or something like that.

So it's pretty affordable.

VS: Yes, yes.

Why do you think Greek players – guys like Antonis Fotsis, Efthimios Rentzias and others – have not had success in the NBA so far?

VS: The way I see it, if you decide to go to the NBA, you must be 100 percent sure that's what you have to do. It was a great thing for them to go, but I think it's not good if you are not ready 100 percent. The thing for me is to go there ready and play. Maybe things would have gone better for other players had they stayed one or two more years in Greece before going to the NBA.

If you had to describe yourself as a player, what would you say?

VS: First of all, when I hit the court, whether it is a one-one-one game or a real game, I never think that I can lose. I never want to lose and I never think the other teams is going to beat us. I'm very competitive, I have a lot confidence, I play hard and I always play aggressive.

Jorge Sierra is the editor of HoopsHype.com

http://www.hoopshype.com/interviews/spanoulis_sierra.htm

ShoogarBear
07-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Nice of him to show the Spurs a little Greek-style before he left.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2007, 09:46 PM
If he re-considers and wants to play for the Spurs. Do you guys like him as a player?

timvp
07-12-2007, 09:47 PM
So basically the Spurs switched international prospect headaches with the Rockets and ended up with a migraine. Fucking awesome.

The worst part is that after the Spurs let Spanoulis out of his contract, they'll lose the rights to him.

Marcus Bryant
If he re-considers and wants to play for the Spurs. Do you guys like him as a player?

Maybe he could be the 5th swing someday.

dg7md
I don't think he will stay in Europe. I am thinking he'll be talked into coming here, once that happens, goodbye Beno.

timvp
07-12-2007, 09:48 PM
If he re-considers and wants to play for the Spurs. Do you guys like him as a player?He could actually be a pretty good player.

But his agent was adamant that he would never come back to America.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't think he will stay in Europe. I am thinking he'll be talked into coming here, once that happens, goodbye Beno.

He's not in Europe. He played for the Rockets last year. He has an NBA contract right now. He wants out of it to go back to Greece and play.

And he's not a point guard. So it shouldn't effect Beno.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 09:49 PM

He turns the ball over like no one else. So there's that.

remingtonbo2001
07-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Oh man, who was that guy a few years back.....Said he was 99.9% sure he wasn't returning to play again....Then 2 years pass and he's suiting up for the fucking WIZARDS!

Are you 99.9% sure that Vassilli isn't coming?

I wouldn't want to come back to America if I thought it was like HOUSTON.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 09:52 PM
He could actually be a pretty good player.

Who are you kidding? He's terrible.

timvp
07-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Who are you kidding? He's terrible.He was the best player on that Greek team that beat the US.

But it doesn't matter because he's not coming over. He could be Michael Jordan and it wouldn't matter because he's staying in Greece forever and the Spurs will lose their rights to him.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 09:55 PM
He was the best player on that Greek team that beat the US.

But it doesn't matter because he's not coming over. He could be Michael Jordan and it wouldn't matter because he's staying in Greece forever and the Spurs will lose their rights to him.

Maybe he just hated Van Gundy and Houston that much?

Nah, time for another bottle.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 09:55 PM

Cue Jasikevicius sub-thread.

At least they're not paying him $4M/yr. But we are turning into the Pacers, it seems.

DOMINATOR
07-12-2007, 09:56 PM

he did say he was T-mac in greece

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 09:57 PM
You know what's great? Remember last year's Luis Scola discussions, we were talking about what kind of contract he was worth? The Rockets just signed Spanoulis to his contract, which was at the time the highest starting contract for a 2nd round pick or something. Now the Spurs have that contract and Houston has Scola.

Circles, man, within circles.

Extra Stout
07-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Other than his inability to shoot or pass, he's great. He can get the ball across half-court under pressure, though.

timvp
07-12-2007, 10:00 PM
You know what's great? Remember last year's Luis Scola discussions, we were talking about what kind of contract he was worth? The Rockets just signed Spanoulis to his contract, which was at the time the highest starting contract for a 2nd round pick or something. Now the Spurs have that contract and Houston has Scola.

Circles, man, within circles.:lmao

I remember when I told you to go look up the name Vassilis Spanoulis to find the highest paid second round of all-time. You said you didn't know much about him.

Sadly, we both know more about him than we ever wanted to know.

:depressed

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Maybe he is being traded with Beno to Tau for Scola?

Full circle baby!

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Well, if the Rockets were able to talk to Scola before the deal perhaps the Spurs did the same with the Greek. Even then, the Spurs dealt two bigs who can play in this league and score in the post for perhaps a reserve guard, 2nd round pick, and cash.

:shootme

leemajors
07-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Maybe he is being traded with Beno to Tau for Scola?

Full circle baby!
scola was part of this trade. i'll willfully ignore the trading part.

ShoogarBear
07-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Well, if the Rockets were able to talk to Scola before the deal perhaps the Spurs did the same with the Greek. I bet the Spurs didn't even bother to find out his phone number, and will feign to be shocked when he says he's not coming back.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
I bet the Spurs didn't even bother to find out his phone number, and will feign to be shocked when he says he's not coming back.

I don't think they'll feign. Their heads are so big (and up their asses), they assume everyone wants to play for them.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
He could actually be a pretty good player.

But his agent was adamant that he would never come back to America.

Remember when you picked him before me in the fantasy draft last summer and I cussed you for the next ten minutes? :lol :bang

YODA
07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
tell me if im wrong. It sounds like we just traded back ups and got a 2nd round pick for scola. It also sounds like the Spurs knew this guy wanted to not play in US too. Thus, im guessing the Spurs will appease this guy and let him out of his contract.
If this is the case, we get ride of Scola, who was never coming over, we get rid of Butler, who was never gonna play and overpaid and we dont have to worry about Vassillas contract since he doesnt even want to be here.
With all this in mind, It looks like:
1. Got rid of Scola, who was never gonna come here anyway
2. Got aVasillas, who doesnt want to be here, meaning we can probably get out of this contract
3. Got a 2nd round pick
4. Got rid of Butler, were we were overloaded at Center ,PF and was over paid.
5. Opened up 1 and probably 2 spots for players like white and mahimi to make roster

What dp you think?

Yoda
Do or do not,,,there is no TRY!!!

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 10:40 PM
the thing is Butler has upside compared to Horry next year.

and Scola is coming to houston with chip on shoulder.

saniboy
07-13-2007, 01:48 AM
Hi guys!I m from Greece and i know that kill-bill(as we call him)have already agreed with Panathinaikos.The only thing he wants is to be free to leave nba . its not about playtime, he didnt adjusted to american life,travels etc plus family problems.
He is a really good player with a good drive and split out moves but he wants the ball to his hands to make his game ,he is not a static shooter(JVG sucks).

I m a Spurs but also a Panathinaikos fun.I think greek team needs him more!
Spurs got Manu for these stuff!

See u in our preseason game.Best nba team vs Best european team!