PDA

View Full Version : Another Trade In The Works?

Buddy Holly
07-12-2007, 09:49 PM
What if there's another trade in the works involving Beno, Barry or others?

Maybe the trade of Butler and Scola for basically nothing was a way to open a roster spot for Ian.

Maybe there's another trade coming?

Let's let this play out.

itzsoweezee
07-12-2007, 09:50 PM
What if there's another trade in the works involving Beno, Barry or others?

Maybe the trade of Butler and Scola for basically nothing was a way to open a roster spot for Ian.

Maybe there's another trade coming?

Let's let this play out.

so ian is the savior now? hahaha. dude is fucking garbage.

timvp
07-12-2007, 09:50 PM
This trade doesn't point to a further trade. The Spurs are still under the luxury tax. There was no added roster spot. All it did is remove two assets that could have been used in a future trade.

Buddy Holly
07-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Maybe it makes way for a signing? They lose Jackie's contract and probably won't absorb Spanoulis because he's dead set on not playing in the NBA.

Maybe they're trying to make a play in the FA market now.

Buddy Holly
07-12-2007, 09:54 PM

I said he was a the savior? Where? :rolleyes

I said they open a roster spot and can now bring in Ian or any player for that matter.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Dude, stick to housing and urban development already.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 09:59 PM
If they're so hot for Ian, dump White and sign him.

Don't trade fucking Scola to a team than can beat you down the line. That's ludicrously stupid.

If this opens up for a trade, Barry or whatever, there's 20-25 ways to do it without trading to a immediate conference rival.

Buddy Holly
07-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Dude, stick to housing and urban development already.

Bite me. Yeah, I know, great comeback.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-12-2007, 10:08 PM
knowing the SPurs it looks like they will give away Beno to the Cavs for NOTHING

and re-sign Barry to a max extension

jcrod
07-12-2007, 10:09 PM
it doesn't matter if it paves way for a future signing/trade. They could've done better than a freaking second round pick for both. Shit I would've been happy with a Euro stash away.

Buddy Holly
07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
it doesn't matter if it paves way for a future signing/trade. They could've done better than a freaking second round pick for both. Shit I would've been happy with a Euro stash away.

Who knows what they could have gotten, I doubt anyone here actually is inside on this information, I doubt anyone here works for them in the inside. I also seriously doubt they past up other better offers than this. It'd be blatant sabotage if they did and I don't see them as some corrupt company that does that.

When one of you guys gets put in the position of working out NBA trades, then maybe you can put to use your skills that would have gotten the Spurs Dwight Howard for Scola and Butler.

CubanMustGo
07-12-2007, 10:12 PM
knowing the SPurs it looks like they will give away Beno to the Cavs for NOTHING

and re-sign Barry to a max extension

Damn dude, go support a fucking team worthy of your intelligent, witty takes.

The Hawks sound about right.

jcrod
07-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Who knows what they could have gotten, I doubt anyone here actually is inside on this information, I doubt anyone here works for them in the inside. I also seriously doubt they past up other better offers than this. It'd be blatant sabotage if they did and I don't see them as some corrupt company that does that.

When one of you guys gets put in the position of working out NBA trades, then maybe you can put to use your skills that would have gotten the Spurs Dwight Howard for Scola and Butler.

True, but you could've probably gotten a second pick from half the league. Tell me why the Fuck would you trade him to the Rockets of all people??? Might as well done it to the Mavs or PHX.

Buddy Holly
07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Who knows, none of us, only them. It sorta stings now but let's see if it'll still sting at the start of the season.

Man of Steel
07-12-2007, 11:28 PM
I hope this is just a piece to a puzzle that makes sense.

But I have to admit--trading to a conference rival--for basically nothing more than cash and "consideration" does seem lame. I would hope that the Spurs FO could have gotten more than that--maybe at least a future first rounder in 2010--something--anything.

I am shocked--disappointed like hell.

But I have to admit--I was this way last summer as well.

Still...

Please dear God--make this just a smal piece of a better puzzle...

Nathan Explosion
07-13-2007, 12:29 AM

Finally someone who gets it. These people may be high on Butler and Scola, but other GMs may not think so. Not to mention that no one other than the Spurs FO knows what was going on in those talks. Not the press, and certainly not the fans.

lotr1trekkie
07-13-2007, 09:04 AM
On the face of it this is a dumb deal. Maybe it works this way. If Scola pays the 2.5 mill buyout this year he will expect a lot more money then we would pay. Maybe Nocioni type money maybe. If Scola had waited till next year we would have to choose between him and Splitter. Splitter is younger, taller and we would have gone with him. I think Oberto's blending into our system sealed Scola's fate. You have to assume that nobody offered more for Scola's rights. Houston offered a #2 and "other considerations"[?] and agreed to take Butler's salary off our hands. It wouldn't surprise me if the Rockets cut him loose. We didn't want to do that but the Rockets might.

ploto
07-13-2007, 09:07 AM
It would have been a better move simply to let Scola sign a long term deal in Europe than to give him to the Rockets for nothing to shed a one year $2M contract.

If they were trying to unload Malik's or Rasho's contract then maybe it might make sense. But to get rid of a short-term cheap contract like Butler's... No.

Soul_Patch
07-13-2007, 09:19 AM
We should see if the cavs will sign and trade varejo and maybe throw in eric snow (if we are lucky and he will play for free) for duncan and parker, we can release ginobili from his contract. We then should go pull some top rated iranian talent over here, sign em to 25 year contract for 20 bucks a year...holt can bring in his son (does he have one?) to coach...and we could just play at the local ymca! Maybe we can trade the ATT center?

what a season it would be!! imagine all the money saved!!!!1

genghisrex
07-13-2007, 09:27 AM
This trade didn't set us up for anything unless you believe that a Rockets second round pick is a hot commodity (and worth more than the rights to Scola). If the Spurs needed to clear a roster spot immediately, they could have waived White (they're going to do that come July 31 anyway). And if someone wants a late pick, we could trade our own and/or the one from the Raptors.

Besides, you generally make and announce this kind of deal at the same time as a "real" trade unless you're comfortable with the initial trade as-is. Making the stupid move first is risky in case the smart one falls through. In this case, we likely don't have to worry about that. It's just a stupid deal and there's nothing smart to follow.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 09:29 AM
They made this deal to shave off $5 mil in payroll and have a shot at $2 mil more.

BigBigSpur
07-13-2007, 09:35 AM
It is said that the Spurs may go for Udoka.

George Gervin's Afro
07-13-2007, 10:03 AM
How does the spanoullis deal affect the cap? if he chooses not to honor his contract does this count against the cap? if they buy him out does his contract count against the cap?

Gros Membres!
07-13-2007, 10:25 AM
They made this deal to shave off $5 mil in payroll and have a shot at $2 mil more.
Honestly, I'll take that over Butler's "potential".

TDMVPDPOY
07-13-2007, 10:27 AM

yeh that

dude cant even dominate french league or have the same impact or post up the decent numbers there, and you guys want to bring him over

mandel17
07-13-2007, 10:28 AM
The reason this trade will never make sense is because we traded a top PF to a rival in our own division!! If the Rockets end up bringing Scola over and he becomes a good NBA player, the Spurs will look completely incompetent. However, I don't think the Spurs would ever willingly help out another contender. They must know something about Tau Ceramica that we don't. Maybe Tau has more money to offer Scola than any NBA team, who knows? There has to be some logic behind a trade that, on the surface, looks incredibly dumb.....

djohn14
07-13-2007, 10:33 AM
This means Splitter will be over next year. Nobody knows if Mahinmi is good or not. There are players better suited to play Euro ball (Maceo Baston, Fabricio Oberto, ect), so maybe he is better suited to play in the NBA.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 10:33 AM
The reason this trade will never make sense is because we traded a top PF to a rival in our own division!! If the Rockets end up bringing Scola over and he becomes a good NBA player, the Spurs will look completely incompetent. However, I don't think the Spurs would ever willingly help out another contender. They must know something about Tau Ceramica that we don't. Maybe Tau has more money to offer Scola than any NBA team, who knows? There has to be some logic behind a trade that, on the surface, looks incredibly dumb.....

Houston gives up the benefit of Spannisllous walking away from his contract and is willing to take back Butler's contract and Scola.

Spurs give up Butler and Scola and get back $6.1 mil in payroll savings and cash.

There's the 'logic.'

Not that I agree with it.

SAGambler
07-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Who knows, none of us, only them. It sorta stings now but let's see if it'll still sting at the start of the season.

Why sting? How many people on here have said Butler was fat, slow and lazy and would only ride the pine anyway?

And everyone that actually thinks Scola is/was ever going to be bought out and brought over stand up and shout "Amen".

All I can figure is that it's off season and if the FO managed to get LBJ AND Kobe on this team, people would bitch about the FO because apparently they have lttle else to do.

703 Spurz
07-13-2007, 12:55 PM
We should see if the cavs will sign and trade varejo and maybe throw in eric snow (if we are lucky and he will play for free) for duncan and parker, we can release ginobili from his contract. We then should go pull some top rated iranian talent over here, sign em to 25 year contract for 20 bucks a year...holt can bring in his son (does he have one?) to coach...and we could just play at the local ymca! Maybe we can trade the ATT center?

what a season it would be!! imagine all the money saved!!!!1

4 time champions, class of the entire league, and you write utter and complete bullshit like this?

No wonder I don't come here often dickweed

ploto
07-13-2007, 01:27 PM
People are assuming Spitter will come next summer but he has a miilion dollar buy out next summer that he has to pay half of and he is only guaranteed a two year contract worth $1.6M. Is he going to be jumping for joy at 2 years and a million dollars not counting taxes, agent,... when Tau may offer him a nice big contract. And if things work out with the Spurs- then yippee- he gets 2 more cheap years.

wildbill2u
07-13-2007, 06:26 PM
What would have happened if we didn't trade Scola's rights this time around. I know that Houston has to sign him pretty quick (15th?) or he has to stay with Tau.

Isn't Tau going to offer him a lot of money to stay since he's their star? If he has to give up up to 3 millions to come over won't the Rockets have to pay him double that to equal what Tau will offer? And what about the income tax he'll have to pay on that?

I don't think Houston signing Scola is an easy job because of the money he'll demand to offset his buyout. Wouldn't it be funny if he signs again with Tau?

Reckless28
07-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Houston has already said they will adjust his pay of offset the buyout.

O-Factor
07-13-2007, 09:39 PM
I'd love to see Beno and Barry packaged and traded for something...

tsb2000
07-13-2007, 09:58 PM
I'd love to see Beno and Barry packaged and traded for something...
Like a bag of twix candy bars. :)

exstatic
07-13-2007, 10:06 PM
People are assuming Spitter will come next summer but he has a miilion dollar buy out next summer that he has to pay half of and he is only guaranteed a two year contract worth $1.6M. Is he going to be jumping for joy at 2 years and a million dollars not counting taxes, agent,... when Tau may offer him a nice big contract. And if things work out with the Spurs- then yippee- he gets 2 more cheap years.
The thing is, besides you being a dumb bitch, that's all he can EVER get. That's all he can get here. That's all he can get from any team, because of this little thing called the first round salary scale. He just need to decide two things, one thingif his first decision is no: does he want to play in the NBA, and when does he want to start playing in the NBA. It's a given that his first contract is set in stone.

exstatic
07-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Like a bag of twix candy bars. :)
Beno would eat them.