PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs find spot for Scola, Butler — Houston

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:07 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071307.01D.BKNspurs.trade.35d9aa1.html

Spurs find spot for Scola, Butler — Houston

Web Posted: 07/12/2007 10:51 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Ending a five-year relationship with Luis Scola, during which his agent once famously declared the Argentine forward was being held prisoner in the "country of liberty," the Spurs finally found a home for him, about 200 miles from their own.

The Spurs traded Scola's draft rights and center Jackie Butler to the Houston Rockets on Thursday evening for guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a 2009 second-round pick and cash.

A 2002 second-round draft pick of the Spurs, Scola has been playing for Spanish team Tau Ceramica, where he is generally regarded as one of the best players in Europe. The Spurs had hoped to sign him two years ago, but his buyout was too large, so they instead opted to bring over his friend and countryman, center Fabricio Oberto.

The Spurs had since fielded offers for Scola, but didn't find anything to their liking until this week. A year ago, Scola's agent accused the Spurs of preventing his client from reaching the NBA, saying "in the country of liberty, he is being held prisoner."

"As an organization, we felt responsible to allow Luis to pursue his dream of the NBA," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said, "and this was the best opportunity to realize his value."

While the trade potentially landed Houston a starting power forward, it did little for the Spurs other than reduce their payroll and open up a roster spot. The trade removed the $2.4 million Butler was due to make this season, and the Spurs also might not have to pay Spanoulis the $1.9 million he is slated to earn.

After playing sparingly last season, Spanoulis had already told the Rockets he wanted to return to Greece. The trade isn't expected to make him change his mind: Two weeks ago, his agent, Miodrag Raznatovic, said, "They could trade him to San Antonio and he could be the starting point guard, and he would say, 'No, I cannot.'"

If the Spurs have to pay all or part of Spanoulis' salary, it will be offset by the cash the Rockets included in the deal.

The Spurs didn't think they would have room for Scola even after next season because they plan on signing one of his teammates on Tau Ceramica, forward Tiago Splitter, their first-round draft pick in June. They also are re-signing Oberto.

Butler signed with the Spurs a year ago, but rarely played after reporting out of shape. Though he has shown improvement and is just 22 years old, team officials questioned whether he would ever be successful playing in their defensive system, which requires their big men to make reads and communicate with teammates.

"With our roster intact, it would appear unlikely that neither (Butler nor Scola) would impact our rotation," Buford said.

The Spurs had hoped to trade Scola outside their division and were close to sending him to Cleveland, but a three-team deal that would have sent Butler to Sacramento fell apart. A potential trade to send Butler to New Jersey also didn't materialize, so the Spurs decided to package Scola with him.

The Spurs re-signed two of their own free agents Thursday, solidifying deals with forward Matt Bonner (three years, $9 million) and Jacque Vaughn (two years, $2.5 million). They had hoped to also sign Detroit forward Amir Johnson to an offer sheet, but he agreed to take less money (three years, $11 million) to stay with the Pistons.

Buford wouldn't comment on whether trading Butler increased the odds the Spurs will sign Ian Mahinmi, their 2005 first-round pick, except to say, the trade "gives us roster options."

With Johnson off the market, the Spurs could turn their attention to Portland free-agent swingman Ime Udoka. Udoka, who turns 30 in August, averaged 8.4 points and 3.7 rebounds while starting 75 games for Trail Blazers.

Udoka is a rugged defender and a dependable 3-point shooter, skills he shares in common with Bruce Bowen, the player he would most likely back up.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I wonder if the Spurs made that 3 year, $12 mil offer to Udoka.

Thanks be to God that they didn't land Johnson for more than 3 years, $11 mil. At least it doesn't get any worse.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-12-2007, 11:10 PM
They better have.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks be to God that they didn't land Johnson for more than 3 years, $11 mil. At least it doesn't get any worse.

That would have been another awful move. Udoka at that kind of money will also be a bad move.

ploto
07-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Do you really believe what it says about Johnson- after the fact.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:14 PM
That would have been another awful move. Udoka at that kind of money will also be a bad move.

Nah, has played a full season and fits in very well with the Spurs' defensive scheme.

timvp
Even the Spurs have trouble twisting this trade in their favor :lol

Props to Kori for the Amir Johnson call. That's who she wanted the Spurs to go after and I guess the Spurs did.

My realistic first option this summer was Udoka. We'll see if that goes anywhere.

Still a horrible trade but the Spurs can make it palatable if they go out and bring in another player.

Aggie Hoopsfan
All in all I had the spirit of the article right...

Spurs take advantage of Houston desperation, pick up future picks for bench fodder
by Johnny Ludden

San Antonio - Just two days after another lackluster summer league performance, Jackie Butler was packaged with the rights to Luis Scola in an I-10 deal that netted the Spurs what will undoubtedly be a high future second round draft pick and monetary considerations with the Houston Rockets.

Butler, whose offense in the Las Vegas Summer League overshadowed his poor defensive showings and lack of defense and certainly bulging waist line, willl serve as a backup to the slow-footed Yao Ming. It also rids the Spurs of what some insiders considered a locker room problem that manifested itself in complaints of not enough playing time in favor of his Spanish speaking front court compadres.

Scola's insistence on a long term deal starting at the mid-level exception, and stubborn refusal to join the Spurs for off-season workouts in San Antonio in favor of a relaxed off-season at home in Argentina, cemented his place in the deal.

In exchange, the Spurs receive a 2009 future draft pick and Vincent Spanoullis from the Houston Rockets. Spanoullis isn't expected to return to the states to play in the NBA, and the Spurs hope to negotiate a buyout of his contract in order to create enough cap room to use their midlevel exception.

With the exception, the Spurs hope to acquire the rights to one of Golden State's plethora of available wings - Mickael Petrus or Matt Barnes - though both are expected to command contracts above what the Spurs are able to offer.

If those opportunities fall through, look for the Spurs to sign 2006 first round pick Ian Mahimi and bring him over to work with their newly acquired Toros NBDL franchise, or call it an off-season and prepare to defend their crown with the same lineup that dominated the Cleveland Cavaliers 4-0 while earning the franchise title number four.

Mr. Body
Nah, has played a full season and fits in very well with the Spurs' defensive scheme.

I'd be okay with Udoka, but he doesn't fill a need, he's way too small for a solution SF, and he's too old for a long contract.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:16 PM
I'd be okay with Udoka, but he doesn't fill a need, he's way too small for a solution SF, and he's too old for a long contract.

3 years isn't too long for a 30 year old. Height isn't everything. Bowen's the same height and that hasn't held him back. Udoka would at least salvage something out of this offseason.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 11:18 PM
But why do we need Udoka? Where does he play? Whose minutes does he take?

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:20 PM
But why do we need Udoka?

Because Bowen is 47 years old and not under contract after the 2007-08 season.

Where does he play?

Swingman rotation. Takes the opponents' best perimeter option on the floor on D. Corner 3. You know the drill.

Whose minutes does he take?

Barry's. A little of Finley's. Manu's at 27.5 minutes a night and Bowen's at 30. That leaves 40 minutes a night at the 2/3 for someone else.

timvp
07-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Bringing in Udoka would hopefully be followed by trading Barry somewhere for even more help.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Um, okay. I find it hard to believe the Spurs will go out and sign Udoka since they piss themselves with fear at the luxury tax so much.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:23 PM
If the Spurs have any hope of keeping the current defensive system in place they need a guy like Udoka to pick up the reigns after Bowen goes to the place where DRob went.

Barry? Hopefully the Spurs don't pass on a possible Bowen successor for Barry.

timvp
07-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Udoka would be nice. But then again, the Spurs always love to put out that glimmer of hope to throw you off the fact that they just made a move for purely monetary reasons. I doubt they went after Amir Johnson. I doubt they really go after Udoka.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Um, okay. I find it hard to believe the Spurs will go out and sign Udoka since they piss themselves with fear at the luxury tax so much.

They just shedded Butler's salary and if they can at least scare a Greek then they will have pocketed his salary in cash too.

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 11:25 PM
I've realized this is all prelude to signing Elton Brand next summer. Without this deal it wouldn't have happened, so now I'm pretty stoked about it. Don't ask me to explain how it works.

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 11:26 PM
UDOKA , hmmm

maybe

timvp
07-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Udoka is pretty much the perfect Bowen replacement (with the caveat being you have to spend $3-4M on the player).

He's the same age Bowen was when Bowen came to the Spurs. Shoots most of his shots from the corner and is good at doing so. He's shorter than Bowen, but he's also thicker. He's a better scorer and rebounder, but obviously isn't as good of a defender.

It is almost scary how much Udoka's situation looks like Bowen's situation before Bowen joined the Spurs.

spurscenter
07-12-2007, 11:28 PM
I've realized this is all prelude to signing Elton Brand next summer. Without this deal it wouldn't have happened, so now I'm pretty stoked about it. Don't ask me to explain how it works.
'
Elton Brand as a spurs would be amazing next to Duncan wow.

How does it work?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Udoka would be nice. But then again, the Spurs always love to put out that glimmer of hope to throw you off the fact that they just made a move for purely monetary reasons. I doubt they went after Amir Johnson. I doubt they really go after Udoka.

Yep, they're running this one by the Spurs front office off-season playbook.

Capt Bringdown
07-12-2007, 11:34 PM
While the trade potentially landed Houston a starting power forward...

The Spurs must know that Scola isn't NBA material, or this deal doesn't make much sense, does it? Wouldn't it be better to just hang on to him, since we got close to zilch in return?
Kinda dissappointing to say the least.

Solid D
07-12-2007, 11:34 PM
The Holt Cat 2007-08 San Antonio Spurs

1st Team.. 2nd Team .. Sport Coat Rotation
Oberto..........Elson........Mahinmi
Duncan.........Horry........Bonner
Bowen...........Barry.........? ? ?
Finley............Ginobili.......Barry
Parker...........Vaughn......Udrih

jcrod
07-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Udoka is only 6'5, hardly Bowen's replacement. He cant play the 3 unless the other 3 is small.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2007, 11:38 PM
I wanted them to look at Amir Johnson and I believe they did. But they probably wanted to pay him under a milliion a year.

I'm not against Udoka, but I'd also like them to look at Singleton as well as Matt Barnes, who isn't getting any contract offers for higher than $2M a year, it seems.

milkyway21
07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
I'm happy for Scola he finally made it to the NBA.
But I'm sad he's leaving the Spurs.
I'm sad he's on the WC/same division team-Houston.

I'm sad Butler didn't make it to the roster this season but at 22, he can grow more and play more minutes with another team bec Spurs is already loaded and he doesn't fit in with the Spurs' kind of play. Good luck.

I hope this Udoka -

With Johnson off the market, the Spurs could turn their attention to Portland free-agent swingman Ime Udoka. Udoka, who turns 30 in August, averaged 8.4 points and 3.7 rebounds while starting 75 games for Trail Blazers.

Udoka is a rugged defender and a dependable 3-point shooter, skills he shares in common with Bruce Bowen, the player he would most likely back up.
.. will be an asset to the team.

I hope.:angel

Oh no. Houston now is loaded with talents and BIG men. :depressed

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2007, 11:40 PM
They had hoped to also sign Detroit forward Amir Johnson to an offer sheet, but he agreed to take less money (three years, $11 million) to stay with the Pistons.

ploto
07-12-2007, 11:47 PM
So we are supposed to actually believe that the Spurs offered 3 yrs and $12 M to him?

Mr. Body
07-12-2007, 11:48 PM
So we are supposed to actually believe that the Spurs offered 3 yrs and $12 M to him?

It's hard to swallow. That's practically Brent Barry money.

koopa
07-12-2007, 11:50 PM
The Holt Cat 2007-08 San Antonio Spurs

1st Team.. 2nd Team .. Sport Coat Rotation
Oberto..........Elson........Mahinmi
Duncan.........Horry........Bonner
Bowen...........Barry.........? ? ?
Finley............Ginobili.......Barry
Parker...........Vaughn......Udrih

i think horry is gonna be the nba version of roger clemens next season, so bonner will be off the bench before horry........... damn, the spurs are the nursing home of the nba

picnroll
07-12-2007, 11:50 PM
gfy bitch

mystargtr34
07-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Amir Johnson looks like a meaner tougher Kirilenko. He only just turned 20 :s

Budkin
07-13-2007, 12:08 AM
I still can't fucking believe we just made this trade.

milkyway21
07-13-2007, 12:14 AM
quote from Houston:

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said he expects Scola to help his team immediately.

"He adds experience and toughness at a position of need on our roster and is an NBA-ready player with a very high basketball IQ," Morey said in a statement.

Scola is coming to the NBA this year people!

mystargtr34
07-13-2007, 12:16 AM
rub it in

ploto
07-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Still a horrible trade but the Spurs can make it palatable if they go out and bring in another player.
Even if they bring in another player, can it really make it palatable? There are a number of other ways to find a roster spot or cut salary.

ploto
07-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Notice of course, the painting of Scola in a bad light and the Spurs trying to come off as the good guys who are letting him into the NBA. :donkey

JamStone
07-13-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm a self admitting Isiah Thomas apologist. But, I must note that there were plenty of Spurs fans--and fans of other teams as well--that thought the Spurs had taken Isiah to the shed again by "stealing" Jackie Butler from the Knicks with Isiah not wanting to match the offer the Spurs made. Some fans even went so far as to say Jackie Butler would end up being the Spurs starting center at some point last season. Turns out Jackie Butler was no more than a one year lease that couldn't even get off the inactive list on most nights, and he wasn't missed in New York.

I know Isiah still has made plenty of blunders and has been one of the worse GMs in the NBA, except perhaps when it comes to drafting players and getting good value where he drafts them. But, I want to make this note that not matching the Spurs' offer to Jackie Butler does not belong on some list of examples of how the Spurs FO outsmarted Isiah, even if Butler ends up being a solid NBA player down the line.

Again, just a Detroit-biased Isiah apologist making a note. And, Malik Rose's contract, David Lee, and Mardy Collins for Nazr Mohammed wasn't too bad for the Knicks as well, even though it wasn't bad for the Spurs either.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:40 AM
Isiah has a true eye for talent. Watching his summer league team proves it (Randolph Morris was punishing Spencer Hawes, by the way). There's been some revision of the Mohammed trade, especially given what Isiah's turned the draft picks the Spurs spent to make the deal happen - David Lee or Balkman would be great now. Marty Collins would be great right now.

Butler's a good player and was a steal last summer, if he didn't pan out. The Spurs pissing him away for luxury savings shouldn't mean much, but no, the Spurs are not a smarter team at this point than what Isiah has been doing.

drmvp
07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Just saw this trade...

As a Rice University alum who had the orgasmic pleasure of watching up close and in person that part-beast, part-ballerina otherwordly virtuoso known as Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon, let me for one moment take off my Spur's sombrero and slip back into my Rocket's hat. From deep in the heart of my fond memories of beer and barbeque at Drexler's World Famous BBQ & Grill on 2300 Pierce, let me give a big shout out to those goddamned motherfucking idiots known as R.C. Buford and Peter Holt:

Bwwwwaaahhhahhhaaaaaaaahhhaaaaaaaahhaaaahaaaahhhhh haaaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa aahhhhahahahahhhhhhahhahahahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaahahahha!

You've just been PWNED by CIA Morrey and his Lindsay plant.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 12:47 AM
Isiah has a true eye for talent. Watching his summer league team proves it (Randolph Morris was punishing Spencer Hawes, by the way). There's been some revision of the Mohammed trade, especially given what Isiah's turned the draft picks the Spurs spent to make the deal happen - David Lee or Balkman would be great now. Marty Collins would be great right now.

Butler's a good player and was a steal last summer, if he didn't pan out. The Spurs pissing him away for luxury savings shouldn't mean much, but no, the Spurs are not a smarter team at this point than what Isiah has been doing.

Howard
Lee
Collins

The FO knows what it is doing.

Quasar
07-13-2007, 01:57 AM
DId the Spurs just hire Isiah? This is the most stupid trade i've ever heard of!

2 players with a lot of potential for a player who's not gonna play and a SECOND round pick?

What's going on? They are preparing excuses just in case they don't repeat?

And they trade the players to the SAME division?!!

Streakyshooter08
07-13-2007, 02:26 AM
They tradet then within the same division? That is even worse. If Scola comes over THIS year Houston will be once a again a dangerous team:

Ming
Scola
McGrady
Batier
Alston

I am officially pissed now!!!!!

mystargtr34
07-13-2007, 02:29 AM
wow lol Isiah looks like Jerry West compared to RC right now

drmvp
07-13-2007, 02:39 AM
They tradet then within the same division? That is even worse. If Scola comes over THIS year Houston will be once a again a dangerous team:

Ming
Scola
McGrady
Batier
Alston

Rockets GM Morey sounds like he is very confident in signing Scola this year.

Also, don't forget about the Mike James trade, and their first round pick Aaron Brooks has looked tremendous in the summer league (pick #31 Carl Landry is doing well too).

mikekim
07-13-2007, 03:03 AM
I just read the news of the trade. I'm pretty shocked. Actually I think I'm too shocked to stay awake...I'll sort it all out in the morning. I'm sure it'll make sense then.

I'm thinking maybe Butler was really worth nothing (at least in the Spurs system)...and the Spurs did intentionally force-feed him the ball in summer league to raise his value a lot. The Spurs know more about Butler than any of us on here. So I guess I can convince myself to trust them on that (for now).

And scola? I wasn't a big fan of the whole "scola, the savior of the spurs" thing. And I had more doubts than praises of his effect in the NBA.

But man...is this really all we could've gotten for those guys? I'm sure we could've gotten more... wow... This feels like the "oh shit" moment after you make an ill-advised trade in fantasy basketball which felt 100% right at the time you made the trade.

It'll all feel better in the morning. It'll all make sense in the morning.

milkyway21
07-13-2007, 03:12 AM

Ming
Scola
McGrady
Batier
Alston

i hope that rumor about Francis returning to Houston is officially dead right now.: :(

drmvp
07-13-2007, 03:18 AM
Rockets GM Morey sounds like he is very confident in signing Scola this year.

Also, don't forget about the Mike James trade, and their first round pick Aaron Brooks has looked tremendous in the summer league (pick #31 Carl Landry is doing well too).

Oh, and I almost forgot that Spurskiller Bonzi Wells is back, and now has those happy-smiley warm fuzzies after being reunited with his daddy, Rick Adelman.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2007, 04:09 AM
Scola better fucking suck.

Spurs Brazil
07-13-2007, 04:21 AM
Is Udoka RFA or UFA?

Spurs Brazil
07-13-2007, 04:51 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4965031.html

Rockets in position to sign Spanish-league star
Morey expects Scola to be with team next season; Spanoulis shipped to Spurs in trade

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

LAS VEGAS — The Rockets took their search for a power forward around the planet and found just what they wanted available.

The Rockets completed a deal to land the rights to forward Luis Scola, one of the stars of Argentina's 2004 gold-medal-winning Olympic team and twice the MVP of the Spanish league. They will send guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a 2009 second-round pick and cash to San Antonio for Scola and reserve center Jackie Butler.

Scola, a 6-9, 230-pound forward who was the 56th player taken in the 2002 NBA draft, had been one of the most coveted unsigned players in the world but became increasingly difficult to sign as he emerged as the star of Tau Ceramica (Vitoria, Spain), one of the top powers in Europe.

The Spurs permitted the Rockets to talk with Scola, 27, in recent days and, although contract negotiations were not permitted, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey was confident Scola was ready to make the move to the NBA.

``We're planning to sign Luis,'' Morey said. ``He's excited to play in Houston. We expect to see him in a Rockets uniform next year. Luis is very motivated to come to the league and is very motivated to play with Yao (Ming) and Tracy (McGrady).

``The Spurs gave us permission to speak with him about three days ago, and we had a long conversation.''

Teams are not permitted to make offers until the deal is complete, but the Rockets likely will be able to offer Scola between $3 million and $3.5 million for the first year. Morey would not discuss the parameters of the deal he has in mind.

Scola, who had a deadline of Saturday to tell Tau if he would be leaving, has a buyout of reportedly $3 million. Under league rules, the Rockets are allowed to pay only $500,000 of that but can structure the contract to ease the initial impact of the buyout.

``For sure, he's one of the best power forwards in Europe, for sure,'' said Rockets forward Lior Eliyahu, who played against Scola twice last season. ``He's a good penetrator, can (score) off the pass, can face the basket, back to the basket. I remember him as a leader. He is the leader of the team.''

Scola averaged 15.5 points and 5.9 rebounds in the Euroleague this year and averaged 14.3 points and 5.6 rebounds in seven years with Tau in the Spanish league.

Cleveland Cavaliers assistant general manager Lance Blanks, the director of scouting for the Spurs when Scola was drafted, said Scola will fit well with the Rockets.

``He plays with a lot of passion,'' Blanks said. ``I think he has a unique ability to score. He has shown how crafty he can be. He really understands the game. His basketball IQ is pretty high. He really is a good acquisition for them.''

While the deal should bring the Rockets their power forward, it also could mean Spanoulis' freedom.

Spanoulis and his agent, Miodrag Raznatovic, could not be reached Thursday, but last week, Raznatovic said Spanoulis would never play for the Rockets or any team in the United States. He even added, ``They could trade him to San Antonio and he could be the starting point guard, and he would he would say, `No, I cannot.' ''

Spanoulis played in 31 games last season, averaging 2.7 points and in 8.8 minutes. Butler, a 6-10, 260-pound center, played in just 11 games with the Spurs after he was acquired from the Knicks. Butler, 22, has averaged five points on 53.9 percent shooting in 69 career games.

Butler has one guaranteed season, worth $2.35 million, remaining on his contract.

Morey said the deal does not change the Rockets' intentions to sign Chuck Hayes and Dikembe Mutombo. But with little room likely left in the mid-level exception, the Rockets could try to sign Mutombo for the veteran's minimum.

``Jackie is someone we wanted in the deal,'' Morey said. ``Obviously, we had a need at center. He'll have a shot to prove it.''

But the prize in the deal was Scola.

``He has a pretty complete game in terms of an offensive skill-set, defensive integrity. He was MVP of the Spanish League, the best league outside the US, two of the last three years. He's been Euroleague first team which I would say makes him a top five player over the there.

``If I had to describe him, he's just a winner.''

yavozerb
07-13-2007, 05:55 AM
In the paper on page 5D it indicates a plan to bring over Splitter this year!! I did not see this mentioned on MySA.com article.

SenorSpur
07-13-2007, 06:04 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071307.01D.BKNspurs.trade.35d9aa1.html

Spurs find spot for Scola, Butler — Houston

Web Posted: 07/12/2007 10:51 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Ending a five-year relationship with Luis Scola, during which his agent once famously declared the Argentine forward was being held prisoner in the "country of liberty," the Spurs finally found a home for him, about 200 miles from their own.

The Spurs traded Scola's draft rights and center Jackie Butler to the Houston Rockets on Thursday evening for guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a 2009 second-round pick and cash.

A 2002 second-round draft pick of the Spurs, Scola has been playing for Spanish team Tau Ceramica, where he is generally regarded as one of the best players in Europe. The Spurs had hoped to sign him two years ago, but his buyout was too large, so they instead opted to bring over his friend and countryman, center Fabricio Oberto.

The Spurs had since fielded offers for Scola, but didn't find anything to their liking until this week. A year ago, Scola's agent accused the Spurs of preventing his client from reaching the NBA, saying "in the country of liberty, he is being held prisoner."

"As an organization, we felt responsible to allow Luis to pursue his dream of the NBA," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said, "and this was the best opportunity to realize his value."

While the trade potentially landed Houston a starting power forward, it did little for the Spurs other than reduce their payroll and open up a roster spot. The trade removed the $2.4 million Butler was due to make this season, and the Spurs also might not have to pay Spanoulis the $1.9 million he is slated to earn.

After playing sparingly last season, Spanoulis had already told the Rockets he wanted to return to Greece. The trade isn't expected to make him change his mind: Two weeks ago, his agent, Miodrag Raznatovic, said, "They could trade him to San Antonio and he could be the starting point guard, and he would say, 'No, I cannot.'"

If the Spurs have to pay all or part of Spanoulis' salary, it will be offset by the cash the Rockets included in the deal.

The Spurs didn't think they would have room for Scola even after next season because they plan on signing one of his teammates on Tau Ceramica, forward Tiago Splitter, their first-round draft pick in June. They also are re-signing Oberto.

Butler signed with the Spurs a year ago, but rarely played after reporting out of shape. Though he has shown improvement and is just 22 years old, team officials questioned whether he would ever be successful playing in their defensive system, which requires their big men to make reads and communicate with teammates.

"With our roster intact, it would appear unlikely that neither (Butler nor Scola) would impact our rotation," Buford said.

The Spurs had hoped to trade Scola outside their division and were close to sending him to Cleveland, but a three-team deal that would have sent Butler to Sacramento fell apart. A potential trade to send Butler to New Jersey also didn't materialize, so the Spurs decided to package Scola with him.

The Spurs re-signed two of their own free agents Thursday, solidifying deals with forward Matt Bonner (three years, $9 million) and Jacque Vaughn (two years, $2.5 million). They had hoped to also sign Detroit forward Amir Johnson to an offer sheet, but he agreed to take less money (three years, $11 million) to stay with the Pistons.

Buford wouldn't comment on whether trading Butler increased the odds the Spurs will sign Ian Mahinmi, their 2005 first-round pick, except to say, the trade "gives us roster options."

I love the way Buford tries to spin this as though the FO was being so alltruistic in doing Scola a favor by "allowing him to pursue his dream of playing in the NBA". Give me a fucking break. Why doesn't he just come out and admit that the organization wanted to get underneath the cap to reduce its luxury tax liability?

His comments related to Scola's value are curious too. Does he really expect us to believe this Houston trade was the best offer they had for Scola? And they threw in Butler for good measure? Please!

As far as the deal itself, I would have hoped the Spurs would have negotiated the dreaded "future considerations" component. At least give us all the illusion that something else was coming from the Rockets.

I wonder how possible the Udoka rumors really are?

George Gervin's Afro
07-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Even the Spurs have trouble twisting this trade in their favor :lol

Props to Kori for the Amir Johnson call. That's who she wanted the Spurs to go after and I guess the Spurs did.

My realistic first option this summer was Udoka. We'll see if that goes anywhere.

I think your a bit biased..or a very smart man :lol

George Gervin's Afro
07-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Just saw this trade...

As a Rice University alum who had the orgasmic pleasure of watching up close and in person that part-beast, part-ballerina otherwordly virtuoso known as Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon, let me for one moment take off my Spur's sombrero and slip back into my Rocket's hat. From deep in the heart of my fond memories of beer and barbeque at Drexler's World Famous BBQ & Grill on 2300 Pierce, let me give a big shout out to those goddamned motherfucking idiots known as R.C. Buford and Peter Holt:

Bwwwwaaahhhahhhaaaaaaaahhhaaaaaaaahhaaaahaaaahhhhh haaaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa aahhhhahahahahhhhhhahhahahahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaahahahha!

You've just been PWNED by CIA Morrey and his Lindsay plant.

4 x nba champ motherf*cking idiots.... You do realize that the only offer we had for scola were 2nd round picks ? your CIA tandom has 18 guys under contract...

justanotherspursfan
07-13-2007, 08:44 AM
At least if we end up picking up Udoka we're doing something comprehensible: unloading prospects to create space for a guy who can actually help our rotation this year as we try to repeat.

That doesn't mean it's not a shitty trade, but after moves like Splitter that are geared toward putting pieces in place for the future, it would be nice to see us make a move that might help us NOW.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 08:45 AM
At least if we end up picking up Udoka we're doing something comprehensible: unloading prospects to create space for a guy who can actually help our rotation this year as we try to repeat.

That doesn't mean it's not a shitty trade, but after moves like Splitter that are geared toward putting pieces in place for the future, it would be nice to see us make a move that might help us NOW.

Or they could just enjoy the fact that they removed $5 mil in salary and someone gave them a couple extra mil in cash.

:greedy

justanotherspursfan
07-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Or they could just enjoy the fact that they removed $5 mil in salary and someone gave them a couple extra mil in cash.

:greedy
No, I'm fully aware of that. I just mean that if they actually do land a guy like Udoka, it would take some of the sting away. Whether they really will get a guy like that is still wide fucking open.

velik_m
07-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Hello spanoulis, goodbye Beno.

The rockets should try T-Mac for Kobe. :P

djohn14
07-13-2007, 09:33 AM
"The Spurs didn't think they would have room for Scola even after next season because they plan on signing one of his teammates on Tau Ceramica, forward Tiago Splitter, their first-round draft pick in June. They also are re-signing Oberto."

This is talking about next year correct?

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 09:35 AM
"The Spurs didn't think they would have room for Scola even after next season because they plan on signing one of his teammates on Tau Ceramica, forward Tiago Splitter, their first-round draft pick in June. They also are re-signing Oberto."

This is talking about next year correct?

Yeah. I don't believe Splitter even has a buyout opportunity this summer.

Testing
07-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Why did the Spurs re-sign Vaughn and Bonner??????? I hope Spurs mgt doesn't expect Vaughn to duplicate his lucky streak of not making any major mistakes as he did last postseason....Vaugn would get abused by teams like the Mavs, Rockets, etc. And Bonner got 0 playing time so why would it be a priority to re-sign those two for the next 2-3 years?????????????? Esp Vaughn....

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 09:59 AM
They're cheap and fill a role. You know, standard Spurs' operating procedure.

WalterBenitez
07-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Shit .... shit ... shit ... shit

Testing
07-13-2007, 10:03 AM
What role does bonner fill? he didnt get any minutes...esp since he has Horry/Eslon/Oberto ahead of him in rotation.

Vaughn is done, I dont know why peopel think he play great defense, he doesn't.

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 10:08 AM
I was so ticked off last night. Not because Scola isn't going to be a Spur, but because I think they got ripped off with this trade. They gave two bigs who have a lot of potential for cash. Oh well. We'll see what happens. They may have the money or trade in the works to bring in someone like Pietrus.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 10:08 AM
What role does bonner fill? he didnt get any minutes...esp since he has Horry/Eslon/Oberto ahead of him in rotation.

Horry can't play forever. That role would be the 4 man with 3 point range.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 10:12 AM
I was so ticked off last night. Not because Scola isn't going to be a Spur, but because I think they got ripped off with this trade. They gave two bigs who have a lot of potential for cash. Oh well. We'll see what happens. They may have the money or trade in the works to bring in someone like Pietrus.

Nah, they did this deal because they netted $4.9 mil in payroll expense reduction and $1.9 mil in cash, for a grand total of $6.8 mil. Mahinmi replaces Butler as the project big on IR for $700K next season. So the Spurs make out $6.1 mil ahead. Maybe they turn around and put those benefits to good use. Maybe.

BacktoBasics
07-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Further proof that Scola's rights had little to no value. I hope all of you that thought his rights would land some kind of high quality role player or starter feel stupid now. If there was a better offer they would have taken it even if it meant being over the luxury tax.

djohn14
07-13-2007, 10:37 AM
If Pietrus came...I would be like hi mr. Pietrus...welcome. Seriously though, I think if he came, he could help us get another title. Do you think Tony being on our team would help him to come here. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Pietrus has said he would like to play for San Antonio. Parker on the team is one reason he has said so. He would be a good fit on the Spurs team in my opinion. The only problem is that he is a restricted free agent.

I think now that the salary cap numbers are out, more teams will make more moves.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Pietrus isn't coming to SA unless the Spurs offer him $30 million.

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 10:52 AM
There are a lot of free agents who could make good role players for the Spurs. The off season has just started. This was a bad trade so far in my eyes, but the Spurs could still redeem themselves.

If they fire R.C they would really redeem themselves.

rasho8
07-13-2007, 11:40 AM

Spurs are not smarter than ISIAH!!! Thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Hmmm... the championshiop team isnt managing anything any better than the worst team with the highest salary in the NBA... who sucked!!

Thats just a foolish statement.

SAGambler
07-13-2007, 11:50 AM
I wanted them to look at Amir Johnson and I believe they did. But they probably wanted to pay him under a milliion a year.

I'm not against Udoka, but I'd also like them to look at Singleton as well as Matt Barnes, who isn't getting any contract offers for higher than $2M a year, it seems.

I could get behind a Matt Barnes in Spurs clothing if the price is right. That guy brings a lot of hustle with his game.

SAGambler
07-13-2007, 12:01 PM

I know it's hard to remember, since it's been so long ago, but Bonner was getting pretty regular minutes right up until the leg injury.

This is going to be Horrys last year, and we need to groom someone to replace him.

Already this past season Pop tried to give Horry a lot fewer minutes, especially in back to backs, so I think that is where you will see Bonner come in.

Bonner is the only other big we will have besides Horry that can spread the floor because of his 3 pt threat. Fabs and Elson can't fill that bill.

As to Vaughn, I guess if he just doesn't make any huge mistakes while he is on the floor, he has pretty much done what they expect of him.

While I have always said for some reason he just scares the shit outta me when he is on the floor, I have to admit, he has managed to give Tony adequate rest without screwing things up. So as long as he does that I guess I would be satisfied with him as the back up. Although I think they should try to acquire someone and move him to 3rd.

stéphane
07-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Just a silly question...
Why is everybody mad about this trade?
I mean who seriously thought spurs were bringing scola this year or next year?
Second yeah we lost Buttler OMG !! 3.5M for a guy who doesn't even play I just call that throwing away the money...
and please don't come with the "Buttler will break in he has all the skill to be an all star" excuse. He's been with the spurs enough for the coaching staff to know if he's worth keeping or not. One roster spot, cap flexibility for next year and a 2nd rounder...I'm ok with that.
mmm and btw where all of you did read that scola signed with houston...?

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Just a silly question...
Why is everybody mad about this trade?
I mean who seriously thought spurs were bringing scola this year or next year?

My guess is you haven't read any of the post analysis. The Spurs greatly assisted an up-and-coming division rival at the expense of... nothing.