PDA

View Full Version : Thread for those who work in the Spurs FO

Nathan Explosion
07-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Please post why this is a bad trade. Remember, this is limited to those who helped build a team that now has 4 trophies in the case, and only those people.

My assumption is that this thread will die if one follows the rules.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2007, 12:32 AM
My assumption is you're a dumbass. If you don't like what people are saying, go post at http://www.spursfrontofficenutriders.com

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:34 AM
I work in the Spurs F.O. but am rustling up a resignation letter after this disgrace.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-13-2007, 12:37 AM
For a journalist, you sure wish people would shut the hell up, don't you?

Nathan Explosion
07-13-2007, 12:42 AM
I'm not a journalist. I'm studying to be a spin doctor. Big difference.

My point was, since no one has intimate knowledge of what went down, how can we claim to know better than the front office? Has it ever dawned on you that maybe, just maybe, this is the best offer the Spurs could get?

You think?

But don't let me stop you all from making stupid statements claiming to know more than the Spurs FO. I mean, all they've done is build a contender for the last decade, producing the best winning percentage in all of sports over that decade. I mean, how hard is that?

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:43 AM

How do you study to be a spin doctor? Don't you just have to lose your soul? Kick puppies, rape nuns?

ploto
07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
As someone who has given them thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars, I have the right as a customer.

Clutch20
07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
.......and I'm working on my 4th beer, soon to be followed by some rum..........
I honestly want the best for my team. That's a given. I also am aware of how endurance impacts on the total picture.

Youth = endurance

Venerability = composure

Where is that mix going to end up?

Who will give it and will it be enough?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2007, 12:47 AM

My point was, since no one has intimate knowledge of what went down, how can we claim to know better than the front office? Has it ever dawned on you that maybe, just maybe, this is the best offer the Spurs could get?

You think?

But don't let me stop you all from making stupid statements claiming to know more than the Spurs FO. I mean, all they've done is build a contender for the last decade, producing the best winning percentage in all of sports over that decade. I mean, how hard is that?

Staying put and eating the couple million would have been a better offer.

It's comical that some 'tard on an internet board would get all bent out of shape about criticism of the Spurs front office.

Like someone else mentioned, some of us have spent some jack on the Spurs, as a consumer of their product we have the God given right to complain (plus it's America. If you don't like what everyone here has to say, either scroll or log off).

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-13-2007, 12:49 AM
Don't you just have to lose your soul? Kick puppies, rape nuns?

Pretty much.

PR people are the fucking devil.

Nathan Explosion
07-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Staying put and eating the couple million would have been a better offer.

It's comical that some 'tard on an internet board would get all bent out of shape about criticism of the Spurs front office.

Like someone else mentioned, some of us have spent some jack on the Spurs, as a consumer of their product we have the God given right to complain (plus it's America. If you don't like what everyone here has to say, either scroll or log off).

What's comical is how bent out of shape you so called fans are getting because of this trade that will have absolutely no impact on this team next year. Scola wasn't coming over to play for the Spurs. And he doesn't make the Rockets better than the Spurs either. Butler wasn't playing next year as well. And he doesn't make the Rockets better than the Spurs.

And yet, you have some fans ready to renounce their team over this? And yet, I'm the one overreacting, right?

By the way, if you don't like what I have to say, you can ignore it or log off as well. It works both ways you know.

I'm trying to preach rationality here, but it seems everyone wants to scream the sky is falling.

Well, have at it Chicken Little.

Nathan Explosion
07-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Pretty much.

PR people are the fucking devil.

You know it. I may not like Karl Rove. In fact, I despise the guy. He's a cancer that's tearing this country apart.

But the guy knows what he's doing. I have to give him credit for that. Nothing has been able to stick to Bush, no matter how much he fucks up.

vander
07-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Please post why this is a bad trade. Remember, this is limited to those who helped build a team that now has 4 trophies in the case, and only those people.

My assumption is that this thread will die if one follows the rules.

:lol :lol :lol

right right, and if you are not a politician you can't criticize the government either :rolleyes

spurscenter
07-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Dear Fan Forums ,

Im sorry, I pressed Enter by mistake. Its too late.

Sincerely

Dennis

Nathan Explosion
07-13-2007, 01:00 AM
:lol :lol :lol

right right, and if you are not a politician you can't criticize the government either :rolleyes

You can criticize all you want. However, if you think you can do a better job than these people, you're just fooling yourselves.

But don't let my humility get in the way of your arrogance, or stupidity, whichever you want to call it.

Man of Steel
07-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Nathan--

Of all the trades the Spurs FO--or draft choices--have they ever made a mistake?

Nathan Explosion
07-13-2007, 01:27 AM
They've made mistakes. However, everyone acts like this trade is the worst trade in the history of the NBA. I didn't know Bill Walton posted on these forums, but apparently he does.

I did highlight some trades/signing that the Spurs made that have contributed to this run of 3 in 5. I can list them again though.

Signing an out of work player cut by the 76ers named Stephen Jackson. Without the Spurs, is he still in the NBA right now? Signing Claxton as a capable backup, and then Vaughn helping the Spurs maintain at the PG when Parker is out or struggling.

Getting a smart player with a penchant for hitting big shots who goes by the name of Horry (Game 5 Pistons Finals anyone).

Getting a player to sign with a team who's a direct rival of the one that just cut him, and then coming up huge in the playoffs against that same team. Everyone forgets how great Finley was in that Dallas series in 06, especially igniting the Spurs with those monstrous dunks over Dampier.

Barry has contributed some timely shooting, especially against the Suns. Oberto was a great pick. Little used SF Bowen coming on was a great pickup, where he took his defense to a whole other level. And then there's the whole drafting Gino and Parker, and then having the smarts to keep Gino instead of Giricek.

The Spurs FO hasn't always had great picks, but looking back, you can't say that they haven't done a great job.

Now that my son has fallen asleep (finally), I'm off to bed myself.

I suggest everyone just sleep on this trade, and see how you feel in the morning. I bet many of you all won't feel it's the worst trade in the history of civilization by the time the sun comes up.

T Park
07-13-2007, 01:50 AM
Nothing has been able to stick to Bush, no matter how much he fucks up.

nothings been able to stick?

What fucking planet do you live on.

remingtonbo2001
07-13-2007, 08:23 AM
My assumption is you're a dumbass. If you don't like what people are saying, go post at http://www.spursfrontofficenutriders.com

WTF.... :jack

Don't get my hopes up...Foney Links?!!!

ShoogarBear
07-13-2007, 08:25 AM
I have a better idea. Why don't we start a thread where you have to have spent over a certain amount in season tickets to post?

That will make about as much sense as this one.

samikeyp
07-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I don't work in the front office so I imagine Nathan doesn't think I am allowed an opinion but here it goes:

I think it was a bad trade because the Spurs:
a) traded within the division--never a good thing
b) traded two potentially decent to good players
c) essentially received nothing in return.

IMO, Scola alone was worth more than the Spurs received...Scola and Butler together were worth wayyy more than what the Spurs received.

But then again, I don't work in the Spurs FO...I am just a loyal 30+ year fan who has never wavered in that loyalty through good times and bad. No biggie.

td4mvp3
07-13-2007, 09:26 AM
anyone who thinks the money they spent on season tickets or a ticket entitles them to anything other than the chance to watch a basketball game is deluding themselves. your opinions count for nothing because you didn't buy the team. this is not a publicly traded company, and it's not a restaurant. the customer isn't right any of the time. you want to take your fandom somewhere else? have at. at some point, the team starts losing money and holt sells it and makes more money and cares zero. and if you want to call yourself a diehard, bleed silver and black fan, then you just roll with it, because, again, your opinion counts for naught. not that you can't give it until you're face is sky colored. but know that it's for naught.

samikeyp
07-13-2007, 09:35 AM
I agree they count for nothing as far as shaping the team goes, but Nathan is implying that we are fans are not allowed to have or allowed to voice said opinions. Will our opinions as fans change anything? No. Do we still have the right to voice them? Yes.

samikeyp
07-13-2007, 09:38 AM
you want to take your fandom somewhere else? have at.

and show me where I said I was taking my "fandom" anywhere?

I have been loyal to this team longer than a lot of posters here have been alive will not change that. To say or imply anything to the contrary is foolish ignorance.

You're not a fool...are you?

BacktoBasics
07-13-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm going on the record with

"I told you so"

I've said it all along, Scola's rights have no value.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2007, 09:53 AM
To accommodate dknights411, Nathan Explosion, and tdmvp3, the forum will be shut down at midnight.

No one posting here has NBA GM experience, which is a requirement of theirs to criticize trades and moves the team makes.

Due to this experience requirement, all NBA games will be shown with no sound, because none of the commentators has been a GM.

Everyone is also banned from discussing personnel moves at work, because again, they don't meet the GM requirement.

Thanks for your cooperation. :music

AFBlue
07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
I don't work in the front office so I imagine Nathan doesn't think I am allowed an opinion but here it goes:

I think it was a bad trade because the Spurs:
a) traded within the division--never a good thing
b) traded two potentially decent to good players
c) essentially received nothing in return.

IMO, Scola alone was worth more than the Spurs received...Scola and Butler together were worth wayyy more than what the Spurs received.

Echo these sentiments exactly, though I'll add some thoughts...

It appears that the Spurs included Butler in the deal for salary purposes and it made sense to include him because he wasn't likely to get minutes.

Why did the Spurs not think to make Elson the "salary filler"? He was very inconsistent on defense, and losing Elson would've given Jackie Butler that opportunity to play additional minutes.

I guess the Spurs FO just had their minds made up that Elson was better for this team than Butler....a sentiment I don't agree with in the least.

But again, I agree with this poster's three main reasons for why this trade sucked.

1) Traded the only two frontline players in the entire organization (including players overseas that Spurs own rights to) that have a legitimate low-post game.

2) Traded individuals that may not have had much impact for the Spurs, but that are certain to be significant contributors (AT LEAST Scola) for a team that is a sure-fire post-season team and one that is not too many pieces from being a legit contender. Oh yeah, and they play in the same division...the Spurs will see them four times at least this year.

3) The Spurs received NOTHING in return. Two legit players for a late second round pick in two years and a minescule $5M in cap relief this year....that is, assuming they don't sign anyone else to fill the spot, because then you have to add that players salary and double it to discover the difference (as they are STILL over the lux tax threshold).

Overall, HORRIBLE trade.

leemajors
07-13-2007, 10:02 AM
How do you study to be a spin doctor? Don't you just have to lose your soul? Kick puppies, rape nuns?
you listen to the spin doctors.

michaelwcho
07-13-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm trying to preach rationality here, but it seems everyone wants to scream the sky is falling.

Well, have at it Chicken Little.

Demonizing people because their opinions differ from yours is not rationality.

Reducing a gamut of reactions to a complex transaction to "the sky is falling" is neither insightful, nor penetrating.

michaelwcho
07-13-2007, 10:35 AM
I agree they count for nothing as far as shaping the team goes, but Nathan is implying that we are fans are not allowed to have or allowed to voice said opinions. Will our opinions as fans change anything? No. Do we still have the right to voice them? Yes.

I think that the FO-apologists exhibit truly interesting behavior. The fascinating thing is that these guys will parrot management-talk, although it apparently has no bearing on their self-interest. I think they represent a situation where the PR and spin of the corporate interests have completely shaped their values. They will repeat the dubious half-truths of a paid spin-doctor or public official, but without being paid for it! Isn't it strange?

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Spurs gave up Butler and Scola's rights for $6.1 mil in payroll savings and cash plus a late 2nd round pick. We'll see if they put any of that to good use.