PDA

View Full Version : You guys did make a run at Amir

Vinnie_Johnson
07-13-2007, 10:08 AM
He just turned your money down.

The Spurs re-signed two of their own free agents Thursday, solidifying deals with forward Matt Bonner (three years, $9 million) and Jacque Vaughn (two years, $2.5 million). They had hoped to also sign Detroit forward Amir Johnson to an offer sheet, but he agreed to take less money (three years, $11 million) to stay with the Pistons.

Solid D
07-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Maybe he thought he could get floor time in Detroit city.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Dodged a bullet there, at least.

TDMVPDPOY
07-13-2007, 10:27 AM
moppin the palace

Vinnie_Johnson
07-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah he new he would never see floor time with The Great James White there.

Solid D
07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah he new he would never see floor time with The Great James White there.

$3.5 Million per' wearing a sportcoat at games versus $600K wearing a sportcoat. About the same I guess.

Hemotivo
07-13-2007, 12:22 PM
:tu

Vinnie_Johnson
07-13-2007, 12:29 PM
$3.5 Million per' wearing a sportcoat at games versus $600K wearing a sportcoat. About the same I guess.

That might of been why he turned the spurs down. He will get paying time this year per Joe D.

smrattler
07-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Is Joe D the coach and Flip just a puppet? Maybe that's why they seemed to tune him out so long ago.

Solid D
07-13-2007, 01:07 PM
That might of been why he turned the spurs down. He will get paying time this year per Joe D.

Yep, paying time and playing time.

Maybe he thought he could get floor time in Detroit city.

timvp
07-13-2007, 01:11 PM
I just don't get the Spurs. The Spurs got impatient with Butler after a year. So what do they do?

Try to get a younger player for double the guaranteed money, of course. Even if the Spurs would have landed him, the Spurs would have traded Amir next summer in a similar cost cutting move.

And if this is true, it doesn't say much for how much the Spurs like Mahinmi and Splitter. . .

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 01:13 PM
I just don't get the Spurs. The Spurs got impatient with Butler after a year. So what do they do?

Try to get a younger player for double the guaranteed money, of course. Even if the Spurs would have landed him, the Spurs would have traded Amir next summer in a similar cost cutting move.

And if this is true, it doesn't say much for how much the Spurs like Mahinmi and Splitter. . .

This does kind of throw in question what they're doing, their 'vision' of a team, and the rest of their assets. As long as they're around the lux tax, any bizarre thing is possible.

My guess is Splitter gets moved to Phoenix for about $110.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:21 PM

Right. Swap out Butler for Johnson and get a late 2nd round pick for Scola.

Now it's enjoying $6.85 mil.

Yeah, that definitely makes you wonder. Scola can play in today's NBA, as we'll unfortunately find out. At the end of the day, what matters most is how you can field the best supporting casts over the next couple of seasons while TD and Manu are in their early 30s.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't like Johnson at 3 years, $11 mil. Really I don't like Johnson that much at all. Doing this deal to sign him would have made it worse. At least now they can use the payroll savings for someone a little more proven.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:33 PM
I guess we can look forward to the Spurs selling off Mahinmi and Splitter.

timvp
07-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Going after Amir Johnson kinda throws a wrench in the take that the Spurs did this because they are so high on Mahinmi and Splitter. Their first option in summer is a 20-year-old, 6-foot-11 freak of an athlete.

That's odd, considering that Mahinmi is 20-years-old, 6-foot-11 and a freak of an athlete. Splitter is 22-year-old and also 6-foot-11.

Makes you wonder . . .

Vinnie_Johnson
07-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't like Johnson at 3 years, $11 mil. Really I don't like Johnson that much at all. Doing this deal to sign him would have made it worse. At least now they can use the payroll savings for someone a little more proven.

Not trying to be a jerk but what did you think of the Bonner deal then? Amir is going to be a nice player once you get to see him play you will see why the spurs wanted him.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Maybe they saw Johnson able to see some minutes at the 3. Maybe.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Not trying to be a jerk but what did you think of the Bonner deal then? Amir is going to be a nice player once you get to see him play you will see why the spurs wanted him.

Bonner's at least proven in this league and fits in the Spurs' O.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Maybe they saw Johnson able to see some minutes at the 3. Maybe.

No they tried that he is a four that could bulk into a 5. He is the fastest palyer on the team.

Darrin
07-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Amir Johnson--top-six pick in this year's NBA draft.

For better or worse, he'll make as much money as Yi Jialian.

ABDENOUR POWER
07-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Amir made his summer league debut today with 17 points, 12 boards, and 3 (recorded) blocks (they missed a bunch). Not too shabby, but I wasn't incredibly impressed either - he needs to develop some moves, instead of getting all his points off of athletic ability/put backs. Considering well he does already though, without really being able to create his own shot, once he gets a few moves he could be very good indeed.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Amir made his summer league debut today with 17 points, 12 boards, and 3 (recorded) blocks (they missed a bunch). Not too shabby, but I wasn't incredibly impressed either - he needs to develop some moves, instead of getting all his points off of athletic ability/put backs. Considering well he does already though, without really being able to create his own shot, once he gets a few moves he could be very good indeed.

Not too shabby for a 20 year old kid.

Solid D
10-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Bump

Amir Johnson Is Pistons' Starting PF

Oct 05, 2008 5:10 AM EST
Detroit Coach Michael Curry has said that Amir Johnson is, as of now, the Pistons' starting power forward, the Detroit News is reporting.

"Amir does things without having to have the ball," Curry said. "He's able to pick up baskets through his activity, by running the floor and playing off the other four guys. He does all the intangible things, and through that, he's able to create offensive opportunities for himself."

"I am glad I got the opportunity," Johnson said. "It's been a long time coming. I've been sitting on that bench for three years. I am ready to play."

(Also posted in SpursTalk's Basketball Central Forum) http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106431

Buddy Holly
10-05-2008, 02:48 PM
So it seems the Spurs FO was smarter than the average fan, eh boo boo?

Allanon
10-05-2008, 03:05 PM
So it seems the Spurs FO was smarter than the average fan, eh boo boo?

Amir probably would have fit in as a long 3 in the West since he's pretty athletic and could have guarded the big Small Forwards...Diaw, Peja, Odom, Outlaw, Artest.

But Bonner has a cool nickname, you can't just buy that.

Manufan909
10-05-2008, 03:21 PM
The Red Rocket cannot be beat!!!

angelbelow
10-05-2008, 03:24 PM
okay.

Bruno
10-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Amir probably would have fit in as a long 3 in the West since he's pretty athletic and could have guarded the big Small Forwards...Diaw, Peja, Odom, Outlaw, Artest.

Johnson defending Peja ? :lmao

You obviously have enver watched him play, so stop talking from your ass.

Bruno
10-05-2008, 03:33 PM
BTW, Spurs have their Amir Johnson. His name is Ian Mahinmi.
If Johnson succeed in the NBA, it will be a good sign for Mahinmi.

Manufan909
10-05-2008, 04:18 PM
If he can get serious minutes.

exstatic
10-05-2008, 04:45 PM
If he can get serious minutes.

If he can get out of the trainer's room.

mrspurs
10-05-2008, 05:25 PM

Agreed again, only you own the site and i dont so when i say it im negative. And when you say its the truth. go figure.

pad300
10-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Going after Amir Johnson kinda throws a wrench in the take that the Spurs did this because they are so high on Mahinmi and Splitter. Their first option in summer is a 20-year-old, 6-foot-11 freak of an athlete.

That's odd, considering that Mahinmi is 20-years-old, 6-foot-11 and a freak of an athlete. Splitter is 22-year-old and also 6-foot-11.

Makes you wonder . . .

TiMVP, I think, in hindsight, that you have an error in perspective here. The summer we drafted Splitter, we also resigned Bonner and Oberto. We signed Udoka, and as noted in this thread, made a run at Johnson(among others, I can't recall if we also made a run at Washington's Blatche...). In hindsight, it's not that the Spurs aren't confident in Mahinmi and Splitter, I think it's that they predict the future pattern of the league to feature ultra-athletic bigs.
Assume that signing Johnson means Bonner isn't resigned... Our roster of bigs on opening night looks like: Duncan, Oberto, Mahinmi, Johnson, Elson, Horry. Not a big difference, given that Johnson played 764 minutes this season for detroit, while Bonner played 853 for us, and Bonner got more minutes due to resting TD and injuries (eg the infamous Golden State game).
Assume that Splitter comes over as expected - our big man roster this season looks like: Duncan, Oberto, Mahinmi, Splitter, Johnson, KT. Looks pretty sweet to me. I think the Spur FO 1) really wants a highly athletic big and 2)expects at least 1of 3 prospects to bust for some reason or other(ie. having 2 of 3 from (Splitter, Mahinmi, and Johnson) alongside TD in 2012 looked real tempting...

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Agreed again, only you own the site and i dont so when i say it im negative. And when you say its the truth. go figure.

It's also because of the fact you're a fucking idiot.

ChumpDumper
10-05-2008, 05:32 PM
The Spurs want athletic big men.

Big surprise.

Allanon
10-05-2008, 06:05 PM

Well, I've seen you talk out of your ass alot before Bruno.

So don't just laugh, please explain why Amir can't possibly guard Peja?

ex's iPhone
10-05-2008, 06:33 PM

probably because timvp mixes in about 85% positive takes,unlike your always negative ass.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-05-2008, 06:34 PM
probably because timvp mixes in about 85% positive takes,unlike your always negative ass.

:lol Why do you make a separate account for your iPhone?

exstatic
10-05-2008, 06:38 PM
:lol Why do you make a separate account for your iPhone?

So I don't have to constantly toggle images, sigs, and avatars on and off. They make the page load slowly.

:lol

Bruno
10-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Well, I've seen you talk out of your ass alot before Bruno.

:rolleyes

So don't just laugh, please explain why Amir can't possibly guard Peja?

Have you seen Johnson play ?
He isn't a SF and the idea of him chasing Peja on the perimeter is quite ridiculous.
You also called Charles Gaines a SF.
So it seems that you judge players without even knowing them. It's quite disturbing.

Bruno
10-05-2008, 08:36 PM
BTW, Johnson sucks for the first preseason game (at least statically).

Allanon
10-05-2008, 09:00 PM
:rolleyes

Have you seen Johnson play ?
He isn't a SF and the

Amir Johnson 6'9 - 210 pounds
Peja Stojakovic 6'10 - 230 pounds

Ah so, Amir Johnson, a 6'9, 210 pound guy is a "Power Forward" but Peja who is 6'10" and 230 pounds is a small forward? So a Power Forward is supposed to be smaller than a "small" forward? Is that what you are trying to say? Is this some more of your french backward logic...maybe your boy Tony Parker should be a Center?

Hornets: Chandler-Center, David West PF, Peja SF

idea of him chasing Peja on the perimeter is quite ridiculous.

Amir Johnson 6'9 - 210 pounds -21 years old (very athletic)
Peja Stojakovic 6'10 - 230 pounds - 31 years old (not athletic)

So, a 21 year old athletic guy can't chase around and defend a, bigger, slower, fatter 31 year old jumpshooter with a bad back?

So it seems that you judge players without even knowing them. It's quite disturbing.
You may know French basketball but your NBA knowledge is very naivette. :depressed

Bruno
10-06-2008, 05:05 AM
Unreal. :lol

Keep thinking that he is a PF, I don't give a fuck. You can even think he is a PG if you want.
Whatever you think, it won't change the reality and the fact that Johnson is a PF.

And FYI, Johnson isn't 6'9" 210lbs. He has grown and added some weight since he came in the NBA. the spot you play on a court doesn't depend only on your body. It also depends on your skills and mindset.

[/discussion]

Allanon
10-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Unreal. :lol

Keep thinking that he is a PF, I don't give a fuck. You can even think he is a PG if you want. Whatever you think, it won't change the reality and the fact that Johnson is a PF.

... the idea of him chasing Peja on the perimeter is quite ridiculous.

I didn't say Amir wasn't a power forward, I said he can guard Peja and you laughed like a petit monkey but still can't explain why he can't guard Peja....learn to read english.

You also avoided the question, "Why can't Amir guard Peja?"

Amir is faster, younger and just a little smaller than Peja; don't be stupid, Amir can guard Peja just fine.

And FYI, Johnson isn't 6'9" 210lbs. He has grown and added some weight since he came in the NBA. the spot you play on a court doesn't depend only on your body. It also depends on your skills and mindset.
[/discussion]

Amir was around 200 pounds when he joined the NBA, he's maybe 210-215 pounds right now. When he plays power forward, he is an undersized "small ball" power forward which is OK in Euro basketball. Compare him with your boy Ronny Turiaf who is a NBA West Conf. size power forward at 6'10, 250 pounds.

This isn't Euro small ball, this is NBA basketball, learn this before you say somebody else is "talking out of their ass" because you are the one doing it.

timvp
10-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Bruno is actually dead right. Peja would set the all-time three-pointers made in a game if he was guarded by Amir Johnson. I actually really like Amir and I think he should have gotten more time, especially last year. But he's strictly a bigman defender. And he's not even very good at that ... he tends to float and not always keep track of his man. Luckily he makes up for it in the interior because he's a very good athlete with quick feet and a quick jump.

But you put him out on the perimeter and he'd get destroyed. You can't put a perimeter roamer on Peja (as the Spurs found out last year when they tried to put Manu on him), you especially can't put an interior roamer on Peja. Amir would constantly get sucked into the middle and Peja would go wild.

Amir is athletic but he's definitely a four or five. Any honest Piston fan would tell you how much of a disaster it would be if Amir all of a sudden was asked to guard perimeter players. Especially one like Peja who demands a guy in his face constantly.

Allanon
10-06-2008, 05:41 AM
Bruno is actually dead right. Peja would set the all-time three-pointers made in a game if he was guarded by Amir Johnson. I actually really like Amir and I think he should have gotten more time, especially last year. But he's strictly a bigman defender. And he's not even very good at that ... he tends to float and not always keep track of his man. Luckily he makes up for it in the interior because he's a very good athlete with quick feet and a quick jump.

But you put him out on the perimeter and he'd get destroyed. You can't put a perimeter roamer on Peja (as the Spurs found out last year when they tried to put Manu on him), you especially can't put an interior roamer on Peja. Amir would constantly get sucked into the middle and Peja would go wild.

Amir is athletic but he's definitely a four or five. Any honest Piston fan would tell you how much of a disaster it would be if Amir all of a sudden was asked to guard perimeter players. Especially one like Peja who demands a guy in his face constantly.

Amir is 6'9 and lighter and quicker than Peja, why can't he keep up with Peja? This doesn't make sense. With his size, Amir's a tweener that can play either small forward or PF.

It's easy to say this but where's the proof, any proof of small foward jumpshooters torching him?

timvp
10-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Amir is 6'9 and lighter and quicker than Peja, why can't he keep up with Peja? This doesn't make sense. With his size, Amir's a tweener that can play either small forward or PF.

Amir Johnson keeps on growing. Arnie Kander, Detroit's strength and conditioning coach, said the 20-year-old is 6-foot-11 1/2. He was 6-9 in 2005 when the Pistons drafted him.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2007/10/mohammed_comes_to_camp_stronge.html

So you want to put a seven-footer on Peja?

Allanon
10-06-2008, 06:18 AM
But you put him out on the perimeter and he'd get destroyed. You can't put a perimeter roamer on Peja (as the Spurs found out last year when they tried to put Manu on him)

Any honest Piston fan would tell you how much of a disaster it would be if Amir all of a sudden was asked to guard perimeter players. Especially one like Peja who demands a guy in his face constantly.

November 11, 2007 - Pistons vs Lakers

Amir spent quite a bit of time on Radmanovic, a small forward, who is almost exactly the same size as Peja and plays on the "perimter". He also spent time on Cook, another Laker small forward and a perimeter player.

I provide proof, not just speculation.
hxLXmKSukCE

timvp
10-06-2008, 06:23 AM
Amir spent quite a bit of time on Radmanovic, a small forward, who is almost exactly the same size as Peja and plays on the "perimter". He also spent time on Cook, another Laker small forward and a perimeter player. He had one of the best games everRadmanovic is 6-foot-10 himself and has played most of his career at power forward. Brian Cook has played his ENTIRE career at power forward.

:lol @ calling Brian Cook a small forward. That'd be like calling Matt Bonner a small forward if Bonner were 20 pounds overweight.

freedom&justice
10-06-2008, 06:26 AM

It's easy to say this but where's the proof, any proof of small foward jumpshooters torching him?

According to the most recent info, Amir is 6'11, 230 now. He's still fast as heck, but he's not going to be near as effective if he's guarding people on the perimeter. He has the physical ability, certainly, but that's not his game. It wouldn't be in the Pistons' best interest, anyway, since he's perhaps their best rebounder in that starting lineup. :toast

Allanon
10-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Amir Johnson keeps on growing. Arnie Kander, Detroit's strength and conditioning coach, said the 20-year-old is 6-foot-11 1/2. He was 6-9 in 2005 when the Pistons drafted him.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...p_stronge.html

So you want to put a seven-footer on Peja?

Your article was dated on October 7th, the video above is one month later so yes, if that article is true, I would. Freedom&Justice, this is the same, he was 6'11 before that Laker game according to timvp's article. And if you watch that video, you see him defending Radman on the perimeter, something which timvp said he "couldn't do". :lol

Radmanovic is 6-foot-10 himself and has played most of his career at power forward. Brian Cook has played his ENTIRE career at power forward.

:lol @ calling Brian Cook a small forward. That'd be like calling Matt Bonner a small forward if Bonner were 20 pounds overweight.

Ramanovic on the Lakers is a small forward and the same size as Peja who also played Power Forward and Small Forward on the Kings. Peja is 6'10 fellas.

Brian Cook + Odom + Kwame means that Brian Cook is the small forward, you can see all 3 on the court at the same time in that video with #25 Amir guarding him.

freedom&justice
10-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Your article was dated on October 7th, the video above is one month later so yes, if that article is true, I would. Freedom&Justice, this is the same, he was 6'11 before that Laker game.

Ramanovic on the Lakers is a small forward and the same size as Peja who also played Power Forward and Small Forward on the Kings.

Brian Cook + Odom + Kwame means that Brian Cook is the small forward, you can see all 3 on the court at the same time in that video with #25 Amir guarding him.

Bad memories, that video. Good riddance, Flip Murray. Anyway, his new weight is what's interesting there, since he's apparently the heaviest he's ever been now. Last year, Amir's true height was a bit of an issue since he was often referred to as being 6'10, as well. The recent update simply made it official. :toast

Amir's biggest problem is fouling. On the perimeter, he tends to reach in too much from what I've seen. That could still change as he gains more experience, though, and even then, his shotblocking and rebounding ability is needed more inside, as neither Sheed nor Kwame are very good at either, and Maxiell's rebounding leaves a lot to be desired.

timvp
10-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Ramanovic on the Lakers is a small forward and the same sizeYou can't compare Peja with Radmanovic to begin with. The Spurs defended Radmanovic with Duncan in the 2005 playoffs. That doesn't make Duncan a small forward. And besides, Peja is like 500 times more lethal from the outside than Radmanovic.

Duncan has also guarded Cook ... since Cook is a power forward.

as Peja who also played Power Forward and Small Forward on the Kings. He rarely played PF on the Kings. He played much fewer minutes at PF in his Kings career than Radmanovic has played PF in the last three seasons.

Brian Cook + Odom + Kwame means that Brian Cook is the small forward, you can see all 3 on the court at the same time in that video with #25 Amir guarding him.Odom would be the small forward in that lineup.

Allanon
10-06-2008, 06:53 AM
You can't compare Peja with Radmanovic to begin with. The Spurs defended Radmanovic with Duncan in the 2005 playoffs. That doesn't make Duncan a small forward. And besides, Peja is like 500 times more lethal from the outside than Radmanovic.

Radman is not as good as Peja but he is the same size which is the best I could do since I can't find a Piston/Hornet game video.

You also said this to cover ALL perimeter players, not just Peja:

Any honest Piston fan would tell you how much of a disaster it would be if Amir all of a sudden was asked to guard perimeter players.

Duncan has also guarded Cook ... since Cook is a power forward.
Duncan is an all around defensive player and can guard multiple positions, much like Amir.

He rarely played PF on the Kings. He played much fewer minutes at PF in his Kings career than Radmanovic has played PF in the last three seasons.
Rarely doesn't mean he hasn't. He has played Power Forward and he is power forward/small forward size. One of his unique attributes.

When Radmanovic starts with Odom and Pau/Kwame, he is the small forward and it's been like this for 2 years. Radman only starts at PF if Odom is injured. Like it or not, he's a Laker Small Forward, I can make some screen caps of 2007/2008 games with the starting lineups showing he's small forward if you like.

Odom would be the small forward in that lineup.
Odom cannot shoot 3's, but Cook can. So when the Kwame, Odom, Cook/Radman were on the court Odom plays PF in the low post and Brian Cook plays SF spotting up on the perimeter.

He has the physical ability, certainly, but that's not his game. It wouldn't be in the Pistons' best interest, anyway, since he's perhaps their best rebounder in that starting lineup.
I agree that it may not be the best use for him to guard the perimeter but he can, and HAS done it, something that both timvp and bruno say he can't do.

timvp
10-06-2008, 07:09 AM
You also said this to cover ALL perimeter players, not just Peja:Which is true. You think Amir is capable of guarding small forward full time? He can do it in spot matchups but to ask him to turn into a perimeter defender overnight would be disastrous.

Duncan is an all around defensive player and can guard multiple positions, much like Amir.So Duncan was the long three we've been looking for? Should have told us sooner.

:smokin

When Radmanovic starts with Odom and Pau/Kwame, he is the small forward and it's been like this for 2 years. Radman only starts at PF if Odom is injured. Like it or not, he's a Laker Small Forward, I can make some screen caps of 2007/2008 games with the starting lineups showing he's small forward if you like.I said Radmanovic has played most of his career at power forward. Most of his career he was with the Sonics, not the Lakers. He was obviously the starting small forward last year.

Odom cannot shoot 3's, but Cook can. So when the Kwame, Odom, Radman were on the court Odom plays PF in the low post and Brian Cook plays SF spotting up on the perimeter.By this logic, Tony Parker was the Spurs power forward when Robert Horry was in the game. Positions are more defined on who they can defend. Who defended small forwards, Odom or Cook?

I agree that it may not be the best use for him to guard the perimeter but he can, and HAS done it, something that both timvp and bruno say he can't do.He can't do it successfully over the long haul. Again, he can do it when the matchups are right. But he'd get light up by Peja, who was your original example.

Allanon
10-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Which is true. You think Amir is capable of guarding small forward full time? He can do it in spot matchups but to ask him to turn into a perimeter defender overnight would be disastrous.

What are you talking about? Against the Lakers, he was constantly guarding the Lakers SF on the perimeter and help on the interior. I think he'd be a very good defender on the perimeter and help when needed because he's quick enough.

So Duncan was the long three we've been looking for? Should have told us sooner.
:smokin
No, I said Amir would have been the long 3, it's in my first post of the thread which Bruno thought was impossible.

I said Radmanovic has played most of his career at power forward. Most of his career he was with the Sonics, not the Lakers. He was obviously the starting small forward last year.

You said "He played much fewer minutes at PF in his Kings career than Radmanovic has played PF in the last three seasons."
Raman has been with the Lakers for the last 3 seasons playing Small Forward and rarely played PF because Odom plays 35+ minutes a game and his PF backup was Ronny.

By this logic, Tony Parker was the Spurs power forward when Robert Horry was in the game. Positions are more defined on who they can defend. Who defended small forwards, Odom or Cook?
Cook guarded the big small forwards like Peja, Odom took on the smaller small forwards like Josh Howard.

He can't do it successfully over the long haul. Again, he can do it when the matchups are right. But he'd get light up by Peja, who was your original example.

Where is the proof of this? I've seen him play almost an entire game against small forward perimeter guys. Bruno says "he can't" and you said it would be a disaster. The video shows he can do fine on the perimeter.

You added this in to not cover just Peja, so I showed you Radmanovic, a perimeter player in the video. And Amir did a fine job on Radman and Cook, both perimeter players.

Any honest Piston fan would tell you how much of a disaster it would be if Amir all of a sudden was asked to guard perimeter players.

I've showed you proof of him doing a pretty good job on the perimeter, you and Bruno only say he can't but can't come up with any proof/vids of him getting torched on the perimeter.

Unfortunately, I am off to bed now, my work shift is over. Keep posting, I promise I'll respond tonight when I get back into work :D

timvp
10-06-2008, 07:29 AM
What are you talking about? Against the Lakers, he was constantly guarding the Lakers SF on the perimeter and help on the interior. I think he'd be a very good defender on the perimeter and help when needed because he's quick enough.The Lakers run some huge small forwards. You can't use the modern day Lakers as an example of how he'd fair against most of the NBA. The Lakers are the biggest team in the league ... by far. Radmanovic, Odom and Walton would be power forwards on most teams ... but they are small forwards on the Lakers.

How do you think Amir would do going against the likes of Pierce, LeBron, Redd and all the other multidimensional small forwards in the league?

No, I said Amir would have been the long 3, it's in my first post of the thread which Bruno thought was impossible.You've only provided proof of two players Amir can guard ... both of whom can also be guarded by Duncan. Until this point, you haven't proven Amir is any more of a long three than Duncan.

You said "He played much fewer minutes at PF in his Kings career than Radmanovic has played PF in the last three seasons."Actually I said: "Radmanovic is 6-foot-10 himself and has played most of his career at power forward."

Raman has been with the Lakers for the last 3 seasons playing Small Forward Really? You might want to count that one again . . .

and rarely played PF because Odom plays 35+ minutes a game and his PF backup was Ronny.More like rarely because he's on the biggest team in the NBA.

Cook guarded the big small forwards like Peja, Odom took on the smaller small forwards like Josh Howard.I call major BS on Cook guarding Peja. Major BS.

Where is the proof of this? I've seen him play almost an entire game against small forward perimeter guys. Bruno says "he can't" and you said it would be a disaster. The video shows he can do fine on the perimeter.The video proves he can guard quasi power forwards. Congrats.

I've showed you proof of him doing a pretty good job on the perimeter, you and Bruno only say he can't but can't come up with any proof/vids of him getting torched on the perimeter.That's because a coach would get fired if he put Amir on Peja. Or Cook on Peja, for that matter.

mrspurs
10-06-2008, 09:43 AM

i tell the truth and everyone knows it. if you dont like it ignore it just like im gonna ignore you number 117. i dont call people names like most of yall playbabies, i simple tell it like it is.:lol you have no clue:lol

mrspurs
10-06-2008, 09:48 AM

Bruno is right on the money. Anyone who thinks differently has no clue.:rollin

Big P
10-06-2008, 10:34 AM
:corn:

JamStone
10-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Amir can defend the perimeter about as well as he can defend the low post, which is, not very well for either position. But, it's not for lack of agility or lack of lateral quickness that he can't defend the small forward position. It's lack of experience and the fact his aggressiveness would lead to overplaying a small forward, meaning he could easily be juked by ball fakes, head fakes, pump fakes, and other techniques a savvy veteran small forward may have at his disposal of skills.

With experience, patience, development, and the proper coaching, Amir Johnson definitely has the athletic ability, specifically the quickness, to defend the small forward position.

Amir also has his share of problems defending big men. So far in his career, he has been too weak to adequately defend a big man in the low post because his core strength and upper body strength were lacking. He's gotten by on pure athleticism and quickness. But, he fouls too much as he goes for the shot block all the time.

See, it's not something physical with Amir as it pertains to his ability to defend either position. It's simply practical experience and knowing how to defend each position from a mental standpoint.

As for his size and height, I question him being 6'11" even now. They were claiming he was 6'10 1/2" last season and he was clearly at least 2 maybe 3 inches shorter than Rasheed still. So unless Rasheed has been lying his whole career and is really 7'2", Amir is probably still close to 6'9". But, if it's true he's around 230 lbs., that's definitely a plus for him facing starting caliber power forwards in the league.

If there's a comparison to be made with Amir in terms of size and athletic ability, I would say Darius Miles before his injuries.

timvp
10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Lakers didnt make the playoffs in 05.Radmanovic wasn't on the Lakers in '05. :lol

Allanon thinks Radmanovic has been on the Lakers the last three years. lakaluva apparently thinks Radmanovic has been on the Lakers the last four years. In reality, Radmanovic has been on the Lakers the last two seasons.

Perhaps they are confusing him with Luke Walton?

IronMexican
10-06-2008, 12:56 PM
2 years of Space Cadet and I am sick of him. Whyyy mitch! you could have voided it:depressed That money could be in Ronny's hand right now.

JamStone
10-06-2008, 02:46 PM

As I mentioned above in my earlier post, it's not for lack of quickness or athleticism. With the right coaching, patience, and development, Amir Johnson could guard the small forward position adequately. He can't do anything that well on the court for lack of practical experience in real and meaningful playing time in games. He doesn't have the game experience to remain disciplined on a guy like Peja. But, he has the athleticism and quickness to defend Peja. As I mentioned and you mentioned, he gets killed inside as well, because of his lack of strength and lack of discipline. An up-and-under move by a post player gets him like 90% of the time.

Now, it remains to be seen how much he has improved not only physically but from a mental approach standpoint this year. I would put Amir on a guy like Peja before I would put him on David West. Amir is going to take his lumps at whatever position he plays this season because it's been suggested that he's going to play meaningful minutes this year. Any, veteran player, regardless of position, will be able to outwit Amir often. But, that goes with the territory in developing the kid. He needs the practical game experience in order to get a better feel for the game and understanding of how players think and play.

ChumpDumper
10-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Radmanovic wasn't on the Lakers in '05. :lol

Allanon thinks Radmanovic has been on the Lakers the last three years. lakaluva apparently thinks Radmanovic has been on the Lakers the last four years. In reality, Radmanovic has been on the Lakers the last two seasons.

Perhaps they are confusing him with Luke Walton?
The people who know the least about the Lakers are their fans.

Allanon
10-07-2008, 01:21 AM
The Lakers run some huge small forwards. You can't use the modern day Lakers as an example of how he'd fair against most of the NBA. The Lakers are the biggest team in the league ... by far. Radmanovic, Odom and Walton would be power forwards on most teams ... but they are small forwards on the Lakers.

This goes back to my original post which you and Bruno disagreed with. I specifically stated huge 3s in the Western Conference.

The Hornets run a huge small forward too, his name is Peja. :lol

How do you think Amir would do going against the likes of Pierce, LeBron, Redd and all the other multidimensional small forwards in the league?

I specifically named long 3s in the West in my first post, why are you bringing in other guys into the convesation? Where do I mention Pierce, LeBron, Redd?

You've only provided proof of two players Amir can guard ... both of whom can also be guarded by Duncan. Until this point, you haven't proven Amir is any more of a long three than Duncan.

Has Duncan ever guarded Peja?

Actually I said: "Radmanovic is 6-foot-10 himself and has played most of his career at power forward."

The video proves he can guard quasi power forwards. Congrats.
Uhm, hello? Peja is a quasi-power forward ... 6'10, 230 pounds. As we both know, Peja played Power Forward in Sacramento.

That's because a coach would get fired if he put Amir on Peja. Or Cook on Peja, for that matter.
Again, just more speculation.

That video proved you wrong...Amir was not a disaster covering Ramanovic on the perimeter. Are you denying such an event ever happened?