PDA

View Full Version : Butler & Scola next year. Put up.

picnroll
07-13-2007, 11:14 AM
After all the drama put up. What will Scola and Butler do next year?

I say Butler, unless there is an injury, is planted on the bench and gets 5 PPG and 3 Rs.
Scola I'll say 9 and 4.

Budkin
07-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Both make the all-star team and lead Houston to the title.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Butler: 5 and 4
Scola: 11 and 4.

SAGambler
07-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Butler rides the pine most of the year, except for garbage time.

Scola never leave Europe.

AFBlue
07-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Scola never leave Europe.

Uhh...they've been in discussion about a contract over the past 3 or 4 days and have already floated a roundabout number of $3M in the first year.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Scola 14 and 5.5. Makes an All-Rookie team.

Butler? 8 and 4.

AFBlue
07-13-2007, 11:27 AM
As far as the topic of this thread...

Scola with 14pts and 5rebs in 30MPG

Butler with 7pts and 4rebs in 15MPG*

*Look for Adelman to value scoring over defense and youth over experience by going with Butler over Mutumbo by season's end.

AFBlue
07-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Scola 14 and 5.5. Makes an All-Rookie team.

Butler? 8 and 4.

Damn...it looks like I copied you, when I didn't.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Well, hopefully we're wrong. I don't think so.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Scola will be avg. 15pts a game and the SPurs look like fukking morons

Tippecanoe
07-13-2007, 11:36 AM
meanwhile

Spanoulis 18 ppg, 3 rpg, 5 apg.....in Greece

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-13-2007, 11:39 AM
meanwhile

Spanoulis 18 ppg, 3 rpg, 5 apg.....in Greece

:lol

and Barbosa, the player the SPurs FO traded his rights too, goes on to have another great NBA season

Spurminator
07-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Butler will play less than 20 games, all garbage time. Whatever numbers he puts up against those scrubs, he gets. But even if he remains with the Rockets, he will not be an impact player. I expect him to be out of the league by 2011.

Scola = 6 and 4.

SpursChampsIII
07-13-2007, 11:41 AM
They COMBINE for 8 and 4...at best. I would rather give spots to Maninmi and Splitter the next couple of years than to continue to wonder about the potential of Butler and Scolla...how long have we been doing that? I think Spurs management knows more about how to handle their business than the armchair GMs in here. Give some people a million dollars and they'll complain that it was in one dollar bills. Give some people 4 championships and now Spurs management has no idea how to handle their business. Go figure.

Bruno
07-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Butler : garbage time.
Scola : 8 and 4 with 20 MPG playing bad defense.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-13-2007, 11:49 AM
scola wont get more than 8-9 pts with 4 boards.

that's STILL more then the P.O.S around Duncan in the front court

Hemotivo
07-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Scola 14 pts 4 reb
Butter 2 reb

timvp
07-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Scola averages 16 and 6.

Butler averages 4 and 3.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Scola - 8 and 4 this season. 13 and 5 the following year.
Butler two seasons from now - 9 and 6.

objective
07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Scola: 15, 6.5, 1 bpg

Butler: 6 & 5

SenorSpur
07-13-2007, 01:27 PM
I've seen Scola play a couple of times and he was always one of the better players on the Argentina team. He was good, but I wouldn't call him dominat. However, I've always been leery as to how his game would translate into the NBA. After all, it's not like he's was taking mofos down on the block and abusing them consistently.

That said, I still would've gotten more than a song and bag of marbles for him.

justanotherspursfan
07-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Scola -- 9 and 3
Butler -- limited PT in 20-30 games, more TOs than RBs.

Mr. Body
Scola will be the third option on Houston and Yao is a really nice passer. That'll suit Scola very well.

ploto
Butler will hardly play this year except for when Yao is out with his annual injury.

Scola will average 12 and 6.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Houston's a pretty ideal spot for Scola to showcase his talents. Van Gundy's no longer the coach, which some here still seem to believe.

spursfaninla
07-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Lets say Scola does average 15 and 5. Are those the numbers you want out of a pf? MAYBE out of a sf, but that rebounding is terrible.

Especially considering he is going to get those numbers if he starts. If he is getting 20mpg, he will be lucky to get 8 and 4.

butler will see no playing time in houston.

ShoogarBear
07-13-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't care what they actually do next year. It doesn't matter.

What will always matter is that the Spurs should have gotten a lot more for them, and could have, but they didn't want to have to pay any salaries now, or on a first-round pick.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't care what they actually do next year. It doesn't matter.

What will always matter is that the Spurs should have gotten a lot more for them, and could have, but they didn't want to have to pay any salaries now, or on a first-round pick.

How about actually using the talent they had on hand? Butler didn't have to be moved. Scola could fit in a Spurs rotation with TD now resting 15 minutes a night. To me that was the better alternative than gifting those two to a rival.

ShoogarBear
07-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Maybe the Spurs could have used Butler and Scola. I don't know, that's up for debate. It's also up for debate how much the Rockets will get out of Scola and Butler. I don't pretend to be able to predict the future, but I think they both will help the Rockets.

However, the fact is the Spurs basically said to the Rockets, "here, at ZERO RISK to you, take these two players who, in the worst-case scenario, will only suck up $5 million of cap space, and in the meantime, we will do nothing to help ourselves." How much effort would it have taken to get a first-round draft pick from Houston? If Scola had been eligible for this year's draft, he would probably have been a top 15-20 pick.

objective
07-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Scola: 15, 6.5, 1 bpg

Butler: 6 & 5

Allow me to revise after further consideration for a transition period and an assumption that Yao and McGrady won't miss major time

Scola: 12.5, 6, 1.0

Butler: 5 & 3.5

Dartherus
07-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Allow me to revise after further consideration for a transition period and an assumption that Yao and McGrady won't miss major time

Scola: 12.5, 6, 1.0

Butler: 5 & 3.5
I'm sure he can get better than that easily, even with Yao and Tmac sharing the scoring load.

cholo
07-13-2007, 09:16 PM
scola 10 and 4

butler - no significant playing time

E20
07-13-2007, 09:26 PM
http://www.interbasket.net/players/scola.jpg
Scola looks like laid out a loud burp and :lol @ his eye.

O-Factor
07-13-2007, 09:30 PM
I just cant wait for the first Spurs/Rockets game, with Scola battling Tim....and Tim owning him.

whottt
07-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Scola: 9 and 4
Butler: 6 and 3 with 3 assists in 2 and a half minutes per game. Is passed out under own basket rest of time.

Seriously though...if Jackie makes the rotation he'll put up good numbers and Adelman will love his passing...however, that won't make him run up and down the court any better.

I'll say 4 and 2 for Jackie in an IR fodder year.

Only because Adelman doesn't like rookies any more than any other coach of a playoff contender....but Adelman is going to be intrigued by Jackie's passing. It'll be a contest to see how long he can handle Jackie playing like it's a YMCA game and taking 40% of the plays off if the mood hits him.

whottt
07-13-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm sure he can get better than that easily, even with Yao and Tmac sharing the scoring load.

And Banzi....and Luther Head...and whoever the PG is...

Mike James?

And Juwan if he's still there...

bigfundamental21
07-13-2007, 10:26 PM
And Banzi....and Luther Head...and whoever the PG is...

Mike James?

And Juwan if he's still there...

Juwan was traded to Minnesota

hsxvvd
07-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Scola to avg - 10ppg 6rpg.

and 15ppg 9 rpg when Ming goes down for his yearly injury.

Roxsfan
07-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Both make the all-star team and lead Houston to the title.
:elephant

Roxsfan
07-13-2007, 11:55 PM
I just cant wait for the first Spurs/Rockets game, with Scola battling Tim....and Tim owning him.

who's going to guard Yao :dizzy

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-14-2007, 03:17 AM
Scola - 8 and 4 this season. 13 and 5 the following year.
Butler two seasons from now - 9 and 6.

Agreed.

picnroll
07-14-2007, 07:59 AM
who's going to guard Yao :dizzy
Who's Scola going to guard.
Brand?
KG?
Duncan?
Dirk?
West?
Aldridge?
Odom?

Scola is quite possibly a defensive mismatch made in heaven for other teams. Can't wait to see his +/-s and the foul trouble he'll be in could limit him to 15 MPG. Spurs may have used him effectively as a spot energy guy, but the Rockets penciling him in as their starting PF to play heavy minutes. :rollin

ArgSpursFan
07-14-2007, 09:23 AM
it´s depends on the minutes they get.
Scola averaging 30 MPG=10/5(in roockie season)
Butler can be usefull for them too,coze Yao tends to get in foul trouble all the time.
Butler can be a 4/4 guy next year with 15 mpg,and if he keeps loosing weigth and working out.

ArgSpursFan
07-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Who's Scola going to guard.
Brand?
KG?
Duncan?
Dirk?
West?
Aldridge?
Odom?

Scola is quite possibly a defensive mismatch made in heaven for other teams. Can't wait to see his +/-s and the foul trouble he'll be in could limit him to 15 MPG. Spurs may have used him effectively as a spot energy guy, but the Rockets penciling him in as their starting PF to play heavy minutes. :rollin
Manu´s +/- were always better when He was on the court in the Arg.National team,It could happen the same to T-Mac.Who knows.
As far as difense goes on the NBA I think It would take him half of the reg season to adjust to the NBA rules and way of play.

picnroll
07-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Oberto, a better defender than Scola, is a foul machine and has trouble staying on the floor against the better PFs. and Cs Where does that leave Scola?

ArgSpursFan
07-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Oberto, a better defender than Scola, is a foul machine and has trouble staying on the floor against the better PFs. and Cs Where does that leave Scola?

ok,First of all,let me say I love Fabri.
Now,when I comes to compare him with Scola,it goes down like this..................
Scola´s BBIQ>Oberto´s BBIQ
Scola´s defense>>>Oberto´s Difense
Scola´s Offense>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oberto´s Offense.
Plus Luis is way more Athletic and faster tham Fabricio.

ArgSpursFan
07-14-2007, 09:40 AM
you´ll see it next season.They´ll probably have to guard eachother.

picnroll
07-14-2007, 10:23 AM
ok,First of all,let me say I love Fabri.
Now,when I comes to compare him with Scola,it goes down like this..................
Scola´s defense>>>Oberto´s Difense
First time I've heard that. When the Argentine's played the USA who was on Duncan?

ArgSpursFan
07-14-2007, 10:38 AM
First time I've heard that. When the Argentine's played the USA who was on Duncan?

Ask J.O´Niel,who was guarding him when USA played Argentina.and also ask him what happened.

Dartherus
07-14-2007, 10:38 AM
The best ofensive player is often kept from guarding the oposing offensive star, even when he's good at D. Just a matter of keeping your best inside ofennse fresh and out of foul trouble I guess.

But yes, I consider Oberto's D better than Scola most of the time, however, in important games, and when needed, I've seen good D executed by Luis against the best inside player of the rival team, he is still foul prone, but when asked or needed, he has managed to show good D.

IMO, he has the potential to have defense, only was assigned the less dangerous player to defend most of the time and saved energy, it wasn't lack of D skills most of the time.

picnroll
07-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Ask J.O´Niel,who was guarding him when USA played Argentina.and also ask him what happened.
You mean that below the rim, block from behind legend. Show me a block, face to face, above the rim and I'll be impressed. Hell, Parker in the same postion would be capable of that block.

picnroll
07-14-2007, 10:51 AM
The best ofensive player is often kept from guarding the oposing offensive star, even when he's good at D. Just a matter of keeping your best inside ofennse fresh and out of foul trouble I guess.

But yes, I consider Oberto's D better than Scola most of the time, however, in important games, and when needed, I've seen good D executed by Luis against the best inside player of the rival team, he is still foul prone, but when asked or needed, he has managed to show good D.

IMO, he has the potential to have defense, only was assigned the less dangerous player to defend most of the time and saved energy, it wasn't lack of D skills most of the time.
Sorry but a slow footed Yao or Scola being backed by a slow footed Scola or Yao on the P&R doesn't scare me much. I think it's safe to say the Rockets' vaunted defense won't be so vaunted next year.

ArgSpursFan
07-14-2007, 10:54 AM
You mean that below the rim, block from behind legend. Show me a block, face to face, above the rim and I'll be impressed. Hell, Parker in the same postion would be capable of that block.

you asked who was better out of them two(fab and Scola)and I responsed.
Them you ask which NBA big guy Scola has defended and I responsed too.
o don´t know if He´ll be capable to be a good shot blocker in the NBA,but I know for sure that He´ll be way better tham what you are trying to make him look like.
BTW,Scola can own Ian Mahinmi any given day in the NBA or any other turnament.

picnroll
07-14-2007, 10:58 AM
BTW,Scola can own Ian Mahinmi any given day in the NBA or any other turnament.
On that we agree. But then again I'm not expecting Mahinmi to be starting for the Spurs next year, maybe ever.
I have no certainty how good Scola will be but I have a feeling, particularly year one his defense will be a liability as will his +/- against many of the guys he goes against and is forced to guard to protect the even slower footed Yao.

kingmalaki
07-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Hmm, what Scola puts up depends on how the rest of our roster shapes out. We still have 6 PG's on the roster (I am counting Head as one simply because of his height) so we could get another PF in the door via trade.

If we start the season with Scola/Hayes as our PF's then of course Scola will start, especially in an Adelman system. I don't know much about his game, but simply because we have no one else he should get 7 boards a game. Hayes got 7 a game last year and he is a 6'6 undrafted journeyman. He may get around 12 pts a game...again simply because he starts. Hayes got 6 a game just off T-Mac finding him for easy lay-ups, and he has NO offensive game. I would expect Scola to be 5th on the chart when it comes to shot attempts (Yao, T-Mac, James, Bonzi).

I'll be happy either way. It seems like he is better than any PF we could have obtained for the MLE, and we currently don't even have a signed PF on the roster.

Leetonidas
07-14-2007, 09:46 PM

and Barbosa, the player the SPurs FO traded his rights too, goes on to have another great NBA season
Oh my God shut the fuck up and kill yourself already you fucking idiot. That was Phoenix's pick, not the Spurs'. They wanted him, not the Spurs.

Spurminator
10-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Bump for Butler predictions.

lrrr
10-29-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't know how good a passer Yao really is, I mean, he avg 2.0 APG to go wiht 3.5 TO a game. And we all know how much TMac likes to pass. Throw in a PG like Rafer...

16 ppg for Scola is stretching it, he'll need plays to be actually called for him, dunno how often that is going to happen.

milkyway21
10-30-2007, 02:30 AM
Butler is gone. He was axed, right?

so what he'd do now? go back to NY?

porscha
10-30-2007, 03:13 AM
Butler is fat and lazy, I'm glad we got rid of him.

mystargtr34
10-30-2007, 03:18 AM
Perhaps Isaiah knew all along :)

nil.ball
10-30-2007, 05:17 AM
Scola will average 10 points and about 7 rebounds. Butler will average 1.5pts and 1.0 rbs in New York.

wildbill2u
10-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Houston was right to take Scola since they were worried about the PF slot and had room.

Scola will do all right for them. He'll put up decent numbers because he'll get minutes in Houston that he wouldn't have got here.

I predict he'll be like Oberto. Pick up a lot of garbage rebounds and points simply because he understands the game and the importance of positioning. When you don't have crazy athleticism, you have to be a student of the game to succeed.

We born to be bad
10-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Oh my God shut the fuck up and kill yourself already you fucking idiot. That was Phoenix's pick, not the Spurs'. They wanted him, not the Spurs.

We offense was improved because of our personnel addition. Barbosaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Thanks Spurs.:lmao

wildbill2u
10-30-2007, 10:45 AM
We offense was improved because of our personnel addition. Barbosaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Thanks Spurs.:lmao
You welcome. You offense still can't win championships so we laughing at you laughing at us. :lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Butler will be in Europe averaging 13 and 8.

picnroll
03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
bump

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Scola to avg - 10ppg 6rpg.

and 15ppg 9 rpg when Ming goes down for his yearly injury.

A lot of close predictions.

whottt
03-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Scola: 9 and 4

And that's from an unabashed Scola hater who still thinks he's a scrub.

As for Yao or TMac getting injured...that's the rule not the exception. I don't think they've both been healthy for an entire season yet since they've been on the same team. Not a hard prediction, in fact I'd be willing to bet the Spurs were accounting for it also.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-13-2008, 08:17 PM
And that's from an unabashed Scola hater who still thinks he's a scrub.

As for Yao or TMac getting injured...that's the rule not the exception. I don't think they've both been healthy for an entire season yet since they've been on the same team. Not a hard prediction, in fact I'd be willing to bet the Spurs were accounting for it also.

True...perhaps we're not witnesses the channelling of Nostradamus.

DAINTX
03-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Scola will continue to make the Spurs F.O. look (when you take the long view) uncharacteristically dumb. 14/8, and a play-making catalyst.

picnroll
05-03-2008, 11:34 AM
bump

Final tally 10.3 points, 6.4 rebounds

Winner is hsxvd at 10 and 6.

24.7 minutes, .515 FG%.

Harry Callahan
05-03-2008, 11:37 AM

Is Basbosa REALLY that good? No.

He's great when it's not the playoffs. He posted a donut in the Spurs series. Just another salary cap killer. BTW spurs drafted him FOR phoenix to make it clear.

PlayoffEx-static
05-03-2008, 12:21 PM

You want to know what he would do on a real team? Just look at Marion in Miami. Without the benefit of that Phoenix Fun-n-Gun offense, his numbers dropped across the board, other than rebounding, no surprise on a bad team. He shot over 52% the last three years or parts of years in PHO, and around 32% from 3. He shot 46% and 26% in Miami. Barbosa is a system player, nothing more.

Bruno
05-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Butler : garbage time.
Scola : 8 and 4 with 20 MPG playing bad defense.

I was quite close.
Butler sucked and was even cut.
Scola played bad defense and thanks to crappy Houston frontcourt and some injuries, he played more than 20 mpg.
Per 20 minutes, he averages 8.4 points and 5.2 rebounds.
Scola did just a better job at rebounding the ball than what I thought.

Scola has had a quite good rookie season. However, he will need to play way better next year to make the Scola trade as horrible as he was described by some people...

Allanon
05-03-2008, 02:18 PM
There's only 1 Butler worth talking about in the NBA, Caron Butler.

Scola turned out better than anybody anticipated

10 ppg
52% shooting
6 Rebounds

in only 24 minutes. Given 42 minutes, he'd be a 18 and 12 guy with a very high percentage.

He's made a name for himself in Houston and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the All Star team in the next 2 years as a coach's reserve pick.

Better than advertised with alot of hustle, I wish the Lakers could have picked him up when he was available.

wildbill2u
05-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Scola did all right on the ppm and rpm. He was probably a net loss on defense against quality PFs like Boozer, but that happens to a lot of folks who defend against boozer.

Not an All-star in the NBA but a good role player for Houston.

beck253
05-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Scola did all right on the ppm and rpm. He was probably a net loss on defense against quality PFs like Boozer, but that happens to a lot of folks who defend against boozer.

Not an All-star in the NBA but a good role player for Houston.

I am not so sure... look at the numbers...

Boozer 16 pts 11.7 rbs 43%FG on 15 FG atts per game...

Scola 14 pts 9.3 rbs 45%FG on 11 FG atts per game...

Pretty close even against a touted Top 5 PF...