PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi & Splitter the year after next. Put up.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 11:35 AM
The Spurs went with Mahinmi, Splitter, and $6.8 mil in cost savings and cash this year over Butler and Scola.

So what will Mahinmi and Splitter put up (pts and rebs) in the 2008-09 season?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 11:37 AM
What will the frontcourt look like that season?

BacktoBasics
07-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Mahinmi will do absolutely nothing. He doesn't even deserve the roster spot. I can't say for Splitter.

picnroll
07-13-2007, 11:43 AM
The Spurs went with Mahinmi, Splitter, and $6.8 mil in cost savings and cash this year over Butler and Scola.

So what will Mahinmi and Splitter put up (pts and rebs) in the 2008-09 season?
Correction to the premise. Scola was not an option. HE WOULD NOT PLAY FOR THE SPURS. PERIOD. Let's get that right as the point of reference for all future discusiion. You could have had Butler and the piece of the MLE used on him in '06-'07 or Scola in '06-'07, not both. You couldn't have Scola in '07-'08 for the crown jewels.

With that I'll say Mahinmi is a disappointment and Splitter as a rookie is 10 and 7 with very good D in 30 mpg

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Horry gone. Splitter replaces Elson. Bonner takes Horry's.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Correction to the premise. Scola was not an option. HE WOULD NOT PLAY FOR THE SPURS. PERIOD. Let's get that right as the point of reference for all future discusiion. You could have had Butler and the piece of the MLE used on him in '06-'07 or Scola in '06 not both. You couldn't have Scola in '07-'08 for the crown jewels.

With that I'll say Mahinmi is a disappointment and Splitter as a rookie is 10 and 7 with very good D in 30 mpg

That's not a given. All we know is that the Spurs didn't want Scola.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Mahinmi will do absolutely nothing. He doesn't even deserve the roster spot. I can't say for Splitter.
Cue whottt.

Tippecanoe
07-13-2007, 11:45 AM
splitter will be a beast

book it

picnroll
07-13-2007, 11:45 AM
That's not a given. All we know is that the Spurs didn't want Scola.
Nope. Read Sam's posts. Sam gets his info in all likelihood directly from a tall red headed person.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Horry gone. Splitter replaces Elson. Bonner takes Horry's.
C OBERTO/SPLITTER
PF DUNCAN/BONNER/MAHINMI

To me this doesn't look like a good frontcourt.
Splitter: 9 and 7.
Mahinmi: 5 and 4.

mystargtr34
07-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Splitter as a rookie -- 10pts 7rbs 1blk 25 mins
Mahinmi as a rookie -- 2.3pts 2.5 rbs 8mins

mystargtr34
07-13-2007, 11:47 AM
C OBERTO/SPLITTER
PF DUNCAN/BONNER/MAHINMI

To me this doesn't look like a good frontcourt.

How about....

Duncan/Splitter/Oberto
Brand/Mahinmi/Bonner

??? not bad i rekon

Spurminator
07-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Splitter, if he's here, 6 and 4.

Mahinmi won't be.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 11:50 AM
How about....

Duncan/Splitter/Oberto
Brand/Mahinmi/Bonner

??? not bad i rekon
:smokin

Bruno
07-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Too soon to say.

SpursChampsIII
07-13-2007, 11:51 AM
More than Butler and Scola. Splitter will average better numbers by himself than those two.

Hemotivo
07-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Splitter 5 pts 5 reb
Ian DNP

mystargtr34
07-13-2007, 11:58 AM
How about....

Duncan/Splitter/Oberto
Brand/Mahinmi/Bonner

??? not bad i rekon

thats good till bout 2012/2013 then comes the time of Tiago and Ian :downspin:

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Splitter 7 ppg, 5 rpg
Mahinmi 1.1 ppg, 0.7 rpg

mystargtr34
07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Splitter, if he's here, 6 and 4.

Mahinmi won't be.

Mahinmi me we can agree on. Splitter aint no college soph rook.... hes a 5 year Euroleague PRODUCT :lol he can hold down that C spot as soon as he arrives for 10 years.

djohn14
07-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Scouts are saying that Splitter is NBA ready NOW. I think Mahinmi will be better than you think, but it will be his 3rd or 4th season before he gets a good deal of PT.

samikeyp
07-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Scouts are saying that Splitter is NBA ready NOW. I think Mahinmi will be better than you think, but it will be his 3rd or 4th season before he gets a good deal of PT.

I have heard that. On draft night, the ESPN crew was saying that Splitter could have gone higher if he had come out last year.

Still doesn't help the Spurs for the upcoming season though.

Spurs Brazil
07-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Tiago 7pts 4rebs
Ian 5pts 3rebs

urunobili
07-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Mahimni... gets here and does nothing. injuries etc... Splitter 11.2 and 6.7 and All Star rookie vs. sophomores MVP award

timvp
07-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Splitter struggles to average 10 points per 40 minutes in Euroleague and people are putting him down for 10 points per 30 minutes in the NBA? :lmao

Splitter averages 4 and 4.

Mahinmi averages 3 and 2.

Bruno
07-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Splitter struggles to average 10 points per 40 minutes in Euroleague

Are you sure ?

timvp
07-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Oberto was a better scorer than Splitter in Europe. Is Oberto going to start averaging 10 points for the Spurs?

Solid D
07-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Splitter 5 ppg 5 rpg .8 bpg

Mahinmi 2.1 ppg 2.5 rpg .8 bpg and 5.1 fpg (fouls)

samikeyp
07-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Oberto was a better scorer than Splitter in Europe. Is Oberto going to start averaging 10 points for the Spurs?

No...he's going to average 20!!! :lol

I picked the wrong day to start sniffing glue. :(

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 01:58 PM
I think Mahinmi might still be in DLeague.

Tiago should put up a solid 7 and 4 (unless he plays 30+mpg and then he might get 9 and 6).

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Key Stat for 2008-09 season:

Mahinmi $700K
Splitter $700K

Solid D
07-13-2007, 02:01 PM
:lol

picnroll
07-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Splitter vs Bargnani (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1176)

Top 5 Euroleague performers (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1198)

Brazil in the FIBA Cup (http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html)

vs Greece
- The only reason that Brazil was in reasonable striking distance at the end of the 3rd quarter was the torrid shooting of Marcelo Machado. He had 14 pts. in the quarter on 4 3pts. & ended the game with 25 pts. on 7/11 from 3pt. land. Tiago Splitter was the other bright spot for Brazil, since Barbosa & Varejao really struggled. Splitter was very active once again and finished a ton of lay-ins, but also hit a couple huge elbow jumpers in the 4th--one to give Brazil the lead with 4 minutes to go. Tiago had 18 pts. on 8/11 & 8 boards. Former SA Spur Alex Garcia helped out by hitting some big 3pts. (4/5 on 3s) to total 17 points. Marcelo Huertas provided great energy all game long on both ends. He was a key component to their defensive pressure & also really did a great job pushing the ball in transition. Barbosa did contribute 8 assts & Varejao was active which led to 7 rebs. (4 off), but he was 0/5 from the floor & had 4 TOs.

vs Turkey
- Barbosa & Tiago Splitter were basically the majority of the Brazil offense in the 1st half--combining for 28 of Brazil's 37 1st half points. Brazil stayed close by forcing TOs (20 overall), which help them get out in transition. Barbosa was super the whole game driving the ball to the basket & drawing fouls in the process--Leandro led Brazil with 26 pts. But once he got to the line he struggled mightily--8/16 including 2 big misses late. Splitter scored all his 13 pts. in the 1st half to go along with 8 boards. Varejao had a real rough night shooting the ball--2/12 overall--but did bring some nice effort on defense & on the boards (7). But why he took so many 3pt. shots (0/4), I'm not sure. Marcelo Machado provided some support for Barbosa in the 2nd half, finishing with 13 pts.

Doesn't sound like a guy who is guranteed to struggle much on O or D.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Doesn't sound like a guy who is guranteed to struggle much on O or D.

You are pointing out some good games. But on the season in Euroleague, he average 9 points per game. I think it's unrealistic to expect he'll average more than that in less NBA minutes in his first year.

picnroll
07-13-2007, 02:20 PM
You are pointing out some good games. But on the season in Euroleague, he average 9 points per game. I think it's unrealistic to expect he'll average more than that in less NBA minutes in his first year.
He doesn't really need to score a lot of points if he can contribute elsewhere effectively. Not exactly as if the Spurs center position has been a main cog in the wheel of late.

Splitter was not a featured part of Tau's offense. It will be interesting to see how he does next year without Scola around. That may be a much better read of his offensive game. I find it encouraging that in big games Splitter could produce, even when other kinown players dropped the ball.

objective
07-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Splitter: 6 & 5, 1.0 blocks

Mahinmi, 2 & 3, with a lot of DNP-CDs

timvp
07-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Let's make a scouting reporting on Elson from that one game against the Pistons and then shop him around the league. :rollin

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 02:24 PM
It will be interesting to see how he does next year without Scola around. That may be a much better read of his offensive game. I find it encouraging that in big games Splitter could produce, even when other kinown players dropped the ball.

Agreed.

timvp
07-13-2007, 02:29 PM
If Splitter averages 10 and 7 as a rookie, I'll change my name to Splittervp. And you can hold me up to that.

There's no way in hell he's going to step off the boat and put up better numbers than he was in Euroleague. He averaged 8.6 rebounds per 40 minutes and is going to come to the US and average 7 in 30 minutes?

I can see him building up to that throughout the years but no way as a rookie.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Splitter is a totally different player on the Brazilian NT. He shoots outside shots, handles the ball on drives, and is wholly an offensive force. He's not used that way at all at Tau.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 02:30 PM
He doesn't really need to score a lot of points if he can contribute elsewhere effectively. Not exactly as if the Spurs center position has been a main cog in the wheel of late.

Splitter was not a featured part of Tau's offense. It will be interesting to see how he does next year without Scola around. That may be a much better read of his offensive game. I find it encouraging that in big games Splitter could produce, even when other kinown players dropped the ball.

Would Splitter get many touches in SA?

timvp
07-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Splitter averaged 0.5 blocks per 40 minutes in Euroleague. Just an FYI for those thinking he's going to be a shot blocking machine in the states.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Splitter averaged 0.5 blocks per 40 minutes in Euroleague. Just an FYI for those thinking he's going to be a shot blocking machine in the states.

He's much better with steals.

objective
07-13-2007, 02:36 PM

shhh, don't tell anyone about Mahnmi being near 0.6

anyways,

I put him at 1.0 out of hope. Scola has been the better shotblocker in euroleauge competition, and I have him next season at 1.0, so I think in two years time Splitter might be able to be his equal.

picnroll
07-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Splitter is known as a good interior defender both on and off the ball and it's been noted he won't give up position or commit unnecessary fouls going after shots.

Should be a lot of threads form last night and today to bookmark for future references.

objective
07-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Splitter is known as a good interior defender both on and off the ball and it's been noted he won't give up position or commit unnecessary fouls going after shots.

Should be a lot of threads form last night and today to bookmark for future references.

I would hope that most people know that shotblocking isn't in and of itself indicative of defense.

PJ Brown was a marginal shotblocker most of his career but still played good defense.

this thread was about stat predictions.

Bruno
07-13-2007, 02:43 PM
shhh, don't tell anyone about Mahnmi being near 0.6

and 2.3 in french league.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 02:45 PM
and 2.3 in french league.

As long as he goes up against French players in the NBA, he'll be fantastic.

Bruno
07-13-2007, 03:00 PM
As long as he goes up against French players in the NBA, he'll be fantastic.

Maybe you should get a clue about european BB before speaking about it.
A hint for you : Only 3 players have averaged more than 2 block per 40 min in euroleague in euroleague, they are 25 in nba.

wildbill2u
07-13-2007, 05:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlrqMS7tp-A

Everyone needs to look at this 9 minute vid which shows Splitter virtually taking over a game when Scola goes out with fouls. It's not the typicl highlight reel of just a few outstanding plays. Check out the pick and rolls, the rebounds, steals, defense. The kid can play.

I think Splitter--who starts for powerful Tau alongside Scola right now--would easily fit into the Spurs and play significant minutes for a rookie when he comes over.

I don't think Mahimi makes the team this year.

ploto
07-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Maybe you should get a clue about european BB before speaking about it.
A hint for you : Only 3 players have averaged more than 2 block per 40 min in euroleague, they are 25 in nba.

I am pretty positive Rasho averaged 2 blocks per 40 minutes in Euroleague. :spin

itzsoweezee
07-13-2007, 09:27 PM
who gives a shit? they both suck.

whottt
07-13-2007, 11:45 PM
The Mahinmi haters are going to get owned.

I suggest all go back and watch him play again....

Bruno
07-14-2007, 03:00 AM
Some news about Mahinmi injury :
Mahinmi rehab is going well. He is ahead of schedule and should be back before the 8 weeks planned.

timvp
07-14-2007, 03:03 AM
Some news about Mahinmi injury :
Mahinmi rehab is going well. He is ahead of schedule and should be back before the 8 weeks planned.That's if Mahinmi was injured at all.

If the Spurs wanted to showcase Butler to up his trade value, they wouldn't want Mahinmi getting in the way. Plus who gets injured going up for a dunk? No one that I know, excluding Marcus Camby of course.

:stirpot:

whottt
07-14-2007, 04:04 AM
Plus who gets injured going up for a dunk?

You'd be surprised (http://www.bballone.com/davidr/spurs/images/spurs13_resize.jpg)

Not that I disagree with the point you are making...

And obviously the Spurs were showcasing Butler.

I just went back and looked at Ian's totals from last year...pretty similar to Jackie's numbers...except Ian was younger. I was particularly impressed with Ian's numbers in the final game against a talented Jazz squad that included Paul Milsap.

The main thing Ian needed to work on was his strength...and everything I have read seems to indicate Ian has indeed worked on that and the Spurs are very happy about it.

Ian's more of a rebounder than Butler is IMO.

timvp
07-14-2007, 04:07 AM
You'd be surprised (http://www.bballone.com/davidr/spurs/images/spurs13_resize.jpg)

Non picture link?

whottt
07-14-2007, 04:08 AM

Or if you don't like that...in 03 when he was going up for a dunk and got fouled by Webber up high...ended up missing quite a bit of time IIRC.

timvp
07-14-2007, 04:17 AM

Or if you don't like that...in 03 when he was going up for a dunk and got fouled by Webber up high...ended up missing quite a bit of time IIRC.

Mahinmi's was a non-contact injury.

whottt
07-14-2007, 04:25 AM
IIRC Drob got his thumb stuck in the net on a dunk...It might have been a shot block...but I'd put money on it being a dunk before I would a block.

That injury was always hard to pinpoint when it happened IIRC...because he played a few games after it happened. But I remember seeing the game where he first looked at his thumb running down the court after a dunk....then like a week later they said he most likely done for the regular season and hurt it in that game I saw him look at his thumb after the dunk...then again, that was 15 years ago and I haven't seen a replay of the event since then...so I could be way off...I'm usually not on this sort of thing though.

John McClane
07-14-2007, 04:25 AM
Didn't some fucker from the Celtics end his career trying to dunk during a dead ball?

timvp
07-14-2007, 04:29 AM
I just went back and looked at Ian's totals from last year...pretty similar to Jackie's numbers:huh

You must have clicked on a wrong link somewhere in your researching.

Mahinmi
24.3 minutes
8.3 points
5.7 rebounds
.6 blocks
.2 assists

Butler
28.0 minutes
12.2 points
7.0 rebounds
1.0 blocks
2.4 assists

If by "pretty similar" you meant "Butler dominated Mahinmi in every category" then I understand your mistake. I like Mahinmi and hope he'll do good but:

A) Butler put his numbers to shame in every category.

B) If Mahinmi is the second coming, why did the Spurs try to sign Amir Johnson?

Ian's more of a rebounder than Butler is IMO.Try again. On top of that, fat ass Butler blocked more shots. Mahinmi averaged the same amount of blocks he averaged in Euroleague.

whottt
07-14-2007, 04:35 AM
:huh

You must have clicked on a wrong link somewhere in your researching.

Mahinmi
24.3 minutes
8.3 points
5.7 rebounds
.6 blocks
.2 assists

Butler
28.0 minutes
12.2 points
7.0 rebounds
1.0 blocks
2.4 assists

If by "pretty similar" you meant "Butler dominated Mahinmi in every category" then I understand your mistake. I like Mahinmi and hope he'll do good but:

A) Butler put his numbers to shame in every category.

B) If Mahinmi is the second coming, why did the Spurs try to sign Amir Johnson?

Try again. On top of that, fat ass Butler blocked more shots. Mahinmi averaged the same amount of blocks he averaged in Euroleague.

Go look at it on a game by game basis.

timvp
07-14-2007, 04:36 AM
IIRC Drob got his thumb stuck in the net on a dunk...It might have been a shot block...but I'd put money on it being a dunk before I would a block.

That injury was always hard to pinpoint when it happened IIRC...because he played a few games after it happened. But I remember seeing the game where he first looked at his thumb running down the court after a dunk....then like a week later they said he most likely done for the regular season and hurt it in that game I saw him look at his thumb after the dunk...then again, that was 15 years ago and I haven't seen a replay of the event since then...so I could be way off...I'm usually not on this sort of thing though.

Robinson hurt his thumb when he collided with Kenny Gattison of the Charlotte Hornets. You don't remember the season flashing before your eyes?

Robinson tried to tough it out but it looked pretty ugly when it happened.

timvp
07-14-2007, 04:39 AM
Go look at it on a game by game basis.

Good idea. Since averages aren't derived from games played.

whottt
07-14-2007, 04:42 AM
Robinson hurt his thumb when he collided with Kenny Gattison of the Charlotte Hornets. You don't remember the season flashing before your eyes?

No, I don't. In fact I didn't think much about it at all...I just remember him looking down at his hand....and I am almost certain he did it after a dunk. And I remember saying WTF when I found out he was going to miss the rest of the regular season...

I don't remember anything like that...and I am pretty sure he played a few games after it happened and scored like there no problems whatsoever.

Robinson tried to tough it out but it looked pretty ugly when it happened.

Then I must have been taking a piss or something when the initial incident happened. I don't remember it being the result of any kind of collision at all...I do think it was against the Hornets though....Hornets or Sixers.

whottt
07-14-2007, 04:43 AM
Good idea. Since averages aren't derived from games played.

Averages are averages and not an indication of peak perfomance...

Averages are the statistical equivalent of racism.

timvp
07-14-2007, 04:50 AM
No, I don't. In fact I didn't think much about it at all...I just remember him looking down at his hand....and I am almost certain he did it after a dunk. And I remember saying WTF when I found out he was going to miss the rest of the regular season...

I don't remember anything like that...and I am pretty sure he played a few games after it happened and scored like there no problems whatsoever.

Yeah he played like three or four more games. His final game he shot pretty poorly and the wrap thing on his hand was bothering everything he was trying to do. He didn't want the surgery but the doctors said it could be career-ending if he hurt it further.

Then I must have been taking a piss or something when the initial incident happened. I don't remember it being the result of any kind of collision at all...I do think it was against the Hornets though....Hornets or Sixers.

Unless there is a youtube or something out there, you'll have to trust me. But I remember the exact play. Kenny Gattison and David Robinson collide. Robinson immediately grabs his thumb. Replays ugly. 10-year-old timvp fears the worst.

whottt
07-14-2007, 05:06 AM
Yeah he played like three or four more games. His final game he shot pretty poorly and the wrap thing on his hand was bothering everything he was trying to do. He didn't want the surgery but the doctors said it could be career-ending if he hurt it further.

Fair enough...you might have seen something I didn't...and I genuinely might have been taking a piss when the actual incident happened. I just remember seeing him look at his hand after a dunk and shaking it.

Unless there is a youtube or something out there, you'll have to trust me. But I remember the exact play. Kenny Gattison and David Robinson collide. Robinson immediately grabs his thumb. Replays ugly. 10-year-old timvp fears the worst.

Well I never saw any kind of replay...but I'll check with my old man who was at the game too. It might have been nice if he'd told me that bit of info...instead of letting me find it out in the middle of a message board argument 15 years later.

whottt
07-14-2007, 05:11 AM
And BTW...you really do yourself a disservice by not checking Ian's stats more thoroughly...Ian had some crappy games, he also had some really nice games. Just like Butler...difference is...Ian's fouls were because of playing too hard, and being too light..those weren't Jackie's problem.

No doubt Jackie is a more polished offensive player than Ian(although I bet Ian wouldn't blow 14 fucking dunks in a row)...but Ian is definitely more of a hustler, defender, rebounder. IOW...the type of player the Spurs want.

And say what you want about the Spurs going after Amir...but it's pretty obvious the Spurs wanted Ian on the roster this year from early on(and probably still do). I'm glad they went after Amir...since he's got more NBA experience than Ian...the fact that they were willing to cut Jackie loose inspite of being more experienced should tell you all you need to know about their plans for Jackie. If the Vegas League doesn't...

The Spurs CIAed the entire forum memberships of ST and SR with the Butler Summer League show. No one figured he was being showcased...

They don't want a guy who total contributions to the team will consist of some nice passes and jump shots on the 40% of plays he has the energy to participate in...

whottt
07-14-2007, 05:47 AM
2007 Game 1 Butler:

24:28 mins
11 pts (3-8FG, 5-5FT)
5 rebounds
6 assists
1 steals
2 blocks

2006 Game 1 Mahinimi

23:00 mins
4 pts (0-3FG, 4-6FT)
3 rb
0 ast
2 st
2 bl

Game 2 Butler:

27:45 mins
7 pts (2-12FG, 3-3FT)
5 rb
0 ast
0 st
2 bl

Game 2 Mahinimi:

30:22 mins
13 pts (4-5FG, 5-7FT)
8 rb
0 ast
0 st
2 bl

Game 3 Butler:

29:26 mins
16 pts (8-14FG, 0-0FT)
12 rb
2 ast
0 st
0 bl

Game 3 Mahinimi:

22:18 mins
16 pts (6-10FG, 4-4FT)
7 rb
1 ast
2 st
0 bl

Game 4 Butler:

28:11 mins
16 pts (8-15FG, (0-0FT)
7 rb
2 ast
0 st
1 bl

Game 4 Mahinimi:

17:16 mins
2 pts (1-3FG, 0-0FT)
5 rb
0 ast
2 st
0 bl

Game 5 Butler:

30:33 mins
11 pts (4-7FG, 3-4FT)
6 rb
2 ast
0 st
0 bl

Game 5 Mahinimi:

Side note...I didn't really need another reason to hate Utah..but the fucking Adobe boxscores have provided one...anyhooo:

26:51 mins
5 pts (1-3FG, 3-6FT)
3 rb
0 ast
0 st
0 bl

No game 6 for Jackie...

Game 6 Mahinimi:

26:20 mins
10 pts (3-7FG, 4-4FT)
8 rb
0 ast
1 st
1 bl

whottt
07-14-2007, 05:55 AM
As you can see...

Ian was the superior rebounder per minutes played with the exception of one huge game by Butler.

He also got to the line more, much more, per game, beating Jackie's total every time but 1.

He also showed a surprising knack for stealing the ball...getting multiple steals in many games.

The difference is?

Jackie is an experienced NBA player who has spent 2 full seasons in the NBA, including a full sesason with the Spurs, and part of a third season also with the Knicks...the Spurs were featuring him, running offense to show off his passing, and pulling him off the court as soon as he started to tank...doing everything in their power to make him look good....

Ian on the other hand was a guy that was playing on a much deeper team, was younger, less experienced, wasn't not being featured in any way...and was not expected to make the team.

Making blanket stat analysis...es...on the players is a bad move.

Ian was every bit as impressive as Jackie in every thing except passing...and more impressive once all the factors are considered...more impressive in the categories important to the Spurs I might add.

The Spurs give exactly jack shit about bigman assist totals...they don't even care about their PG's assist totals.

Mahinimi>Butler is the obvious conclusion here.

Add in the fact that Ian wasn't sucking wind after 5 min stints and actually got into the shape the Spurs wanted him to be in(without Pop's foot up his ass on a daily basis O might add)...and his fouls were actually the result of effort...instead of bailouts.

And well...you're just flat out wrong to rate Butler over Ian...especially given the Spurs needs and Pop's wants.

I used to think you understood Spurs basketball...now I am going to have to reconsider...

You want Brad Miller, not Marcus Camby...no wonder you are upset about this trade...

whottt
07-14-2007, 06:04 AM
Oh..and the Rockets got CIAED...I'm convinced of it.

The Spurs deliberately tried to showcase Jackie's passing knowing it was going to appeal to Adelman...and covered his faults as best they could...they also surrounded him with utter shit to make him appear much better(relative to the guys around him).

CIA...quite brilliant when you think about it.

And don't you think if Scola was as good as everyone thinks he is the Spurs would have paid the 3 mil per year? Instead of Oberto? or Bonner? They had 5 years to watch him...even if they didn't like him...they could have still signed him and dealt him later...unless of course Luis was veing an asshole and refusing to play for them...which says enough about Scola to make hte idea of dumping his ass a wise one.

They knew it wouldn't work...

CIA all the way.

drmvp
07-14-2007, 06:39 AM
whottt, that was a really nice bit af analysis on Mahinmi. You've given me some hope that he'll turn out. Thanks.

Then I see this:

Oh..and the Rockets got CIAED...I'm convinced of it.

Let this good doctor leave you with a bit of medicinal haiku:

Hits head with stick; Fuck you!
Smiles, bows;
Namaste.

The yin and yang of whottt. Gotta love it!

whottt
07-14-2007, 07:14 AM
It's not a fluke that the Spurs were running hte offense through a guy they intended to trade from game 1...

If the Spurs had any intention of keeping Jackie...he played well enough to justify keeping him.

The fact that the skill of his that stood out the most(his passing) just so happens to be the the favorite skill of a coach for a team with cap space to trade...

No coincidence here....

And if Vaginis actually does change his mind about playing with the Spurs(their international roster)...allowing them to move Beno or Barry...perhaps even both to a team in need of a couple of vet guards with championship experience...

The Spurs are going to come out of this looking absolutely brilliant...

Especially if Scola turns out to be the worlds slowest uptempo bigman(paired with the worst running bigman in the NBA) as I think he will be....not to mention his lack of media savy...and tendency towards whining.

whottt
07-14-2007, 07:16 AM
I mean what if Scola and Butler both suck....

It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Vaginis doesn't suck BTW...the Rockets wanted him back. The Spurs did not want Scola...or Butler, as is obvious.

They want a dunking, rebounding, shotblocker..who can run on offense and play D in a half court set...both of which Mahimimi can do...and Butler and Scola can't(do both).

picnroll
07-14-2007, 07:29 AM
That's if Mahinmi was injured at all.

If the Spurs wanted to showcase Butler to up his trade value, they wouldn't want Mahinmi getting in the way. Plus who gets injured going up for a dunk? No one that I know, excluding Marcus Camby of course.

:stirpot:
Up Butler's trade value? They had to package Scola to get rid of him. Hell, if they hadn't "showcased" Butler would they have had to package Duncan to move his ass?

Bruno
07-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Vaginis should be back in Greece.
He has already said that the trade doesn't change the fact that he want to be back in Greece.
Vaginis will likely play for Panatinaikos next year.

drmvp
07-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Vaginis doesn't suck BTW...the Rockets wanted him back.

Hey, I agree that if V-Span comes, and he lives up to the following alleged Spurs' scouting report (which has since been taken off his Wikipedia profile) on him, then the trade looks a little less lopsided:

NBA Scouting Report From San Antonio Spurs October 2006

While most competition in European basketball is considered to be either at the NCAA division one College basketball level or lower, competition in the Spanish league Asociación de Clubs de Baloncesto, Italian league Serie A (basketball), and Greek league A1_Ethniki is considered to be one step above the college level, even one step above the NBDL level. The Greek league is more recently considered the top competitive level of European basketball. Spanoulis' success at that level, combined with his success in the 2006 World Basketball Championship and the 2004 Olympics, which are considered to be near to NBA level competition, shows that he has legitimate NBA talent.

This was highlighted by Spanoulis leading the Greek National team to a victory over the United States National team team during the 2006 World championship final four round. Spanoulis scored 22 points in that game and regularly abused NBA point guards Chris Paul, Kirk Hinrich, and Dwyane Wade on both ends of the floor, offensively one on one, as well as in the pick-and-roll, and also on the defensive end in one on one assignments.

Spanoulis is a lightning-quick play-maker guard that can play either position in the back court due to his size at 6'4 3/4" in shoes (1.95m) and at a training camp weight of 203 pounds (92kg). Generally considered to have been a more talented prospect coming out of the European level to the NBA than Manu Ginobili was. Can get into the lane and penetrate at will. Incredibly dept at running the pick-and-roll offense. Will pick up fouls at an amazing rate, even better than Dwyane Wade will. Excellent finisher around the basket and excellent free throw shooter. Tremendous open court and half court abilities on offense. Can create open layups/dunks and open 3 point shots for teammates at will. Breaks down the opposing defense whenever he wants to.

Outstanding one on one defender at either guard spot. Can swipe it from any guard when he wants to. Even though his wingspan is only 6'5" (1.96m) he more than holds his own in the post on defense against bigger and stronger guards. A lock down defender against point guards even on the NBA level. Not a great team defender at the NBA level yet, but has all of the tools to be one and should learn this under Jeff Van Gundy's tutelage in Houston as he has amazing lateral quickness with his feet, great hand speed, and a good solid NBA body, as well as a high basketball IQ on the defensive end of the floor.

Not a good shooter from NBA 3 point range, but has an excellent jump shot from 18-21 feet and has the ability to shoot 37% to 41% from that range. Needs to add about 5 feet of range to his jump shot in order to succeed on a team that features both Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. Unbelievable court vision and passing ability. A highlight reel assist waiting to happen. Very reminiscent of Steve Nash in his passing and play-making abilities. Like Nash, basketball IQ is off the charts with the rare ability to connect on passes that no other players besides them would even dare to attempt. Should take some time for his teammates to learn to play with him because of this. A drawback of this is that he will always have a high number of turnovers.

Very turnover prone much like Manu Ginobili. Tends to play out of control and helter skelter in a fashion similar to Ginobili at times and like Ginobili also has this defect in his game. However, also extremely competitive and willful in game situations much like Ginobili. Also excels in big-game moments and in the highest levels of competition like Ginobili. Also similar penetration and finishing ability to Tony Parker, although not as good of a ball-handler as Parker. Superior point guard instincts and court vision to Parker. Like Parker not much NBA 3 point range, but is a better shooter than Parker is from 15-21 feet.

Not a great athlete by NBA standards, but a solid one. More than athletic enough to lock down defensively on the perimeter and get into the lane and finish or dish off at the NBA level. Incredible first step, even Leandro Barbosa like. Won't dunk on anyone but will finish in the paint like Parker. Very intriguing point guard prospect with a huge upside.

Maybe the Spurs really do like V-Span, and want to convince him to join the team?

picnroll
07-14-2007, 07:49 AM
If Spurs and he agree to negate his contract does that also negate the Spurs' rights to Vaginitis?

whottt
07-14-2007, 08:10 AM
Yeah...

But what if the Rocket we just hired had a good relationship with Vaginis...what if he knows something?

I don't blame that poor bastard for wanting no part of America again...if you were a pg who had to spend a year(including a summer) in Houston, playing Van Gundy's offense(from the doghouse) with a SuperStar like TMac...how would you feel about America?

We're lucky the kid didn't commit suicide after that brutal experience.

As it is...Beno doesn't' even play anymore...and while he's less of a gigantic snatch than this greek kid...Houston sucks...I'll give Spatula a pass on not wanting to play there. Don't blame him...I was just in Houston a couple of weeks ago. It still sucked.

San Antonio is a totally different town and atmosphere....it's even built around an old building...like most of Greece.

picnroll
07-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Yeah...

But what if the Rocket we just hired had a good relationship with Vaginis...what if he knows something?

I don't blame that poor bastard for wanting no part of America again...if you were a pg who had to spend a year(including a summer) in Houston, playing Van Gundy's offense(from the doghouse) with a SuperStar like TMac...how would you feel about America?

We're lucky the kid didn't commit suicide after that brutal experience.

As it is...Beno doesn't' even play anymore...and while he's less of a gigantic snatch than this greek kid...Houston sucks...I'll give Spatula a pass on not wanting to play there. Don't blame him...I was just in Houston a couple of weeks ago. It still sucked.

San Antonio is a totally different town and atmosphere....it's even built around an old building...like most of Greece.

Agree. I had the possibility to do some training at a great institution in Houston and later a position there. I turned both down just because it's Houston.

whottt
07-14-2007, 08:28 AM
If the Spurs are interested in him...they can always just say, why not try a training camp and see if you change your mind...if you still want out it'll be done.

whottt
07-14-2007, 08:31 AM
See...I think the Spurs could probably move Barry and Beno...I just don't think want too without having replacements. I don't think they have the faith in Finley that the board does...and I know they want a third PG(and it's obvious Beno is about done here).

If they can get Vaginis(who has a year of NBA experience) and Udoka, that frees them up to move Barry and Beno....and IMO, cut White or Williams as well(or both). With little or no worries.