PDA

View Full Version : M.Stein on the trade

Spurs Brazil
07-13-2007, 01:01 PM
When you combine payroll savings, Vassilis Spanoulis' virtually certain return to Europe and Houston's cash contributions, San Antonio saved an estimated $7 million by trading the draft rights to Argentine power forward Luis Scola and little-used Jackie Butler to Houston on Thursday.

The Spurs were hoping to send Scola out of their conference -- as part of a three-way trade with the Kings and Cavs that would have landed Scola and Bibby in Cleveland before collapsing Thursday -- but decided that the financial benefits were too significant to keep Scola away from the neighboring Rockets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2935125

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:01 PM
$6.8 mil, Marc.

-MB

Vito Corleone
07-13-2007, 01:05 PM
this is the reality of the NBA today.

ploto
07-13-2007, 01:05 PM
the financial benefits were too significant to keep Scola away from the neighboring Rockets.

Repeat until it sinks in...

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Yay, money!!

It's almost like we didn't win the championship this year.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Actually, $6.851 mil to be exact, assuming that Houston gave the Spurs cash equal to Spannissslououous' salary next season.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Actually, $6.851 mil to be exact, assuming that Houston gave the Spurs cash equal to Spannissslououous' salary next season.

And Spanner doesn't get wise and ask for that money.

td4mvp3
07-13-2007, 01:33 PM
which, as stein wrote
saved an estimated $7 million by
it sounds like you're saying he got his facts wrong, which isn't the case. or am i missing something?

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Just making it exact. So?

td4mvp3
07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Just making it exact. So?
just sounded like you were calling him out for some reason that i couldn't figure out.

spvrs
07-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Wow... Yes Holt is evil. He didn't want to spend a mere 5 million dollars more a year on guys that will never leave the bench.

Newsflash, we aren't Dallas, New York or the Lakers. Reality is different for a team in small market S.A.

So 5 million dollars is chump change now??

SAGambler
07-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Wow... Yes Holt is evil. He didn't want to spend a mere 5 million dollars more a year on guys that will never leave the bench.

Newsflash, we aren't Dallas, New York or the Lakers. Reality is different for a team in small market S.A.

It always is when it's someone elses money.

degenerate_gambler
07-13-2007, 04:33 PM

yeah.

and according to the numerous gm's we have on this board and their kee eye for talent, butler and scola are stars-in-the-making. and james white is right there as well..

pad300
07-13-2007, 04:34 PM
From Chad Ford new article on managing the salary cap:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=2934997&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dford_ch ad%26id%3d2934997

5. Don't give away assets.

This is the rule that most teams follow, which is why many around the league were shocked that the Magic didn't try harder to get something in return for Milicic. Say what you will about Darko -- whether you think he is a bust or still has potential, he is a roster asset.

Replace the words Magic with Spurs and Milicic/Darko with Scola. You figure it out...

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Giving assets away is cool when the owner saves $7 mil. :jack

whottt
07-13-2007, 04:37 PM
So obviously...the Spurs weren't that scared of trading Scola to a divisional rival....

I've watched him play...I agree with them. Scola isn't good enough to lose that kind of money over...

He's a non rebounding non defensive undersized PF who is going to be matched up against Tim Duncan...

Exactly what am I supposed to be afraid of here?

Props to the Spurs for not being pussies and fearing Scola like he's Tim Duncan or something...like Marcus Bryant does.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Stein should just shut the hell up since he's never been a GM.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 04:38 PM
So obviously...the Spurs weren't that scared of trading Scola to a divisional rival....

I've watched him play...I agree with them. Scola isn't good enough to lose that kind of money over...

He's a non rebounding non defensive undersized PF who is going to be matched up against Tim Duncan...

Exactly what am I supposed to be afraid of here?

Props to the Spurs for not being pussies and fearing Scola like he's Tim Duncan or something...like Marcus Bryant does.

Eh, I don't "fear" Scola. He's a talented player that the Spurs just gave up for no talent. Go punch one out to your Barry Wallbanger.

whottt
07-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Actually...they got a better deal for him from the Rockets than they would have from the Cavaliers...

And guess what...the Rockets are shittier team than the Cavaliers.

Adelman is great, but he's never been able to overcome choking players...and he's now got a team built around 3 of them.

They'll probably get a better draft pick out of it as well since TMac and Yao probably won't be able to even walk in 2 years.

Bad business would have been taking shittier deal because they were afraid of Scola.

Me? We already have Scola...his name is Oberto.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Actually...they got a better deal for him from the Rockets than they would have from the Cavaliers...

Fucking A they did.

Bruno
07-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think this trade will make Rockets better ?

Rockets would have been better if they had spend their MLE on a PF like Joe Smith instead of spending him on Scola.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Wouldn't it be better to not gift a couple of low post scoring bigs to another team in your division? The only difference in the Cavs-Kings deal is that the Spurs wouldn't have gotten the $1.89 mil for Spanniouloussss.

whottt
07-13-2007, 04:48 PM
MB...Jackie Butler was a liability, not an asset.

Sin,

The NBA

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 04:49 PM

Probably.

Rockets would have been better if they had spend their MLE on a PF like Joe Smith instead of spending him on Scola.

Oh my God, kill me now.

whottt
07-13-2007, 04:50 PM

I agree...

Spursfans seem to think Adelman plays rookies or something.

They also seem to think that TMac and Yao aren't game to game injury concerns with uncomplimentary games.

I hope they play Scola and Butler over Hayes and Mutombo. I really hope they do.

smrattler
07-13-2007, 04:50 PM

Better? Well, with Adelman running things... two bigs that love to score quickly and not expected to play defense too well? At the least it's a good match.

whottt
07-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Mr. Body is still upset we aren't paying Javtokas 3 mil per.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Brains turning to mush in this thread.

Bruno
07-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Probably.

No, whottt is with me :elephant

Oh my God, kill me now.

We will see who is better next year between Scola and Joe Smith.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Mr. Body is still upset we aren't paying Javtokas 3 mil per.

I'm still pizzed I fucked your mother. Crabs suck.

whottt
07-13-2007, 04:57 PM
If Scola maximizes his potential he might put up 15 and 6, and it's arguable whether or not that will actually improve the Rockets since those numbers will likely come at the direct expense of Yao...

But he wouldn't have done that on the Spurs....and in fact, he probably wouldn't have gotten off the bench for us anymore than Oberto did his first year...if even that much, since Oberto can defend...and Scola can't.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 04:59 PM
What's going to be great is if we repeat, these chowderheads are gonna go around saying, "See! I said that was a great trade!"

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Houston should put more points on the board next season with Adelman at the helm so I don't think Scola would take that much away from Yao on the offensive end, and that's not necessarily a bad thing as Yao can focus more on cleaning up the glass.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 05:01 PM
MB...Jackie Butler was a liability, not an asset.

Sin,

The NBA

So much so that the Rockets paid the Spurs $2 mil and a 2nd round pick for him, since Scola is worthless.

bigzak25
07-13-2007, 05:03 PM
they didn't goto a contender for the title. no big deal.
they save the cash. whatever works.

i still can't believe bonner gets 9 mil. must be a helluva locker room guy.

and longshot barnes...who knows...

i still want artest...:cry

hedo for artest is the rumor...

but beno and barry for artest would be a dream come true.

que sera sera.

Just Win. Everything else is for the water cooler.

whottt
07-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Houston should put more points on the board next season with Adelman at the helm so I don't think Scola would take that much away from Yao on the offensive end, and that's not necessarily a bad thing as Yao can focus more on cleaning up the glass.

Adelman's offense isn't going to do jack shit with Yao on the court...except kill Yao(and Butler).

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Adelman's offense isn't going to do jack shit with Yao on the court...except kill Yao(and Butler).

It will free up Yao to be clean-up man in the paint and otherwise allow him to focus on defending the paint on the other end.

mardigan
07-13-2007, 05:13 PM
If Divac can run up and down the court in that offense, I think Yao will be alright

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 05:15 PM

You've never watched an Adelman team, have you? They're not run-n-gun like the Suns.

whottt
07-13-2007, 05:16 PM
It will free up Yao to be clean-up man in the paint and otherwise allow him to focus on defending the paint on the other end.

Yao can't run...and since he's arguably their best offensive player at least in terms of shooting PCT...I'll enjoy the Rockets taking the Spurs d on 4 on 5. While Yao focuses on D.

The pieces in Houston don't fit...the best thing they had going for them against us was their half court game...Scola weakens that...Adelman weakens that.

whottt
07-13-2007, 05:20 PM
You've never watched an Adelman team, have you? They're not run-n-gun like the Suns.

Um...I've watched two eras of Adelman teams...one that played D...and one that didn't.

And you are wrong...the Kings were run and gun...

Adelman is a great coach, but he can't over come a core of chokers...and the pieces of this team don't fit. Not to mention the injury issues of their two best players.

Cavs>>>>Rockets

whottt
07-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Best part of all of this...

Once Adelman turns the Rockets into whiners...you guys will be minimalizing them way more than I am now.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 05:22 PM
whottt needs to watch more basketball and stare less at his framed 8" X 10" pic of Barry.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 05:23 PM
As long as Adelman can not totally lose the defensive focus in Houston and improve the offense they will have improved this summer, thanks in no small part to the Spurs.

whottt
07-13-2007, 05:24 PM
If Divac can run up and down the court in that offense, I think Yao will be alright

Amazing...I know for a fact that you have been a Spursfan for a while...yet somehow, you've never actually seen Yao play.

He's physically incapable of playing in that style of offense.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 05:25 PM
How much of a racehorse was Kevin Duckworth? Buy a clue.

whottt
07-13-2007, 05:25 PM
As long as Adelman can not totally lose the defensive focus in Houston and improve the offense they will have improved this summer, thanks in no small part to the Spurs.

Actually...what they've done is move further away from Yao...

whottt
07-13-2007, 05:26 PM

That was a different team, that played a different style...if they go that route, Scola is useless.

And Duckworth was Seattle Slew compared to Yao...anyway.

whottt
07-13-2007, 05:28 PM

I do have to give you props for bringing up those championship Blazer teams though...way to prove your point.

If not for Rod Strickland....they wouldn't have been able to choke as much as they did.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm pretty sure whottt has never seen an Adelman team.

Money316
07-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks Spock, you anal bastard!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l185/KiSsInTHeRaINxo/untitled.jpg

whottt
07-13-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure whottt has never seen an Adelman team.

The fact that you don't think Adelman's Kings ran, proves that you weren't watching them. They ran every chance they could get.

Find someone that agrees with you...

Slinkyman
07-13-2007, 06:17 PM
What's going to be great is if we repeat, these chowderheads are gonna go around saying, "See! I said that was a great trade!"
Whether we repeat or not, this trade will not have an impact either way.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 06:41 PM
That was a different team, that played a different style...if they go that route, Scola is useless.

And Duckworth was Seattle Slew compared to Yao...anyway.

rofl. Hang it up man.

td4mvp3
07-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Whether we repeat or not, this trade will not have an impact either way.
then i fail to see why any of this trade becomes a big deal. the future of the spurs? please. they've got years to fix whatever ails them if this means nothing for next year.

Pistol...2K4
07-13-2007, 09:22 PM

Doesn't Pop basically own Rick Adelman though?? I really don't see H-town as that much of a threat in the near future given that they hired Adelman...I am more concerned with what Phx and Dallas do(and more Dallas than Phx).