PDA

View Full Version : Cuban submits app. to buy the Cubs...

41times
07-13-2007, 03:24 PM
So will your favorite guy to hate get out of basketball if he is successful in buying the Cubs?

The rumored price for the Cubs is around 600 Million. The Mavs are reported to be worth around $500 million.

Will he sell the Mavs to buy the Cubs or will he split time.

I'm not sure he can get enough approval votes from the league owners to be allowed to purchase the Cubs.

Apparently Bud Selig and some of his croonies don't like innovative and outspoken owners like Cube. So he may lobby against him???

CosmicCowboy
07-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Cuban in a league without a salary cap will be fun to watch.

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 04:15 PM
I will burn my Cubs hat and never cheer for them again if he becomes owner.

Dingle Barry
07-13-2007, 04:28 PM
As a Cards fan, this would both crack me up and piss me off at the same time.

SpurCapita
07-13-2007, 05:16 PM
I think Cuban did this because he just realized that "Cub" is in his last name. Cubes owns the Cubs. Lets hope that his middle name doesn't turn out to be "Spursula."

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Cuban in a league without a salary cap will be fun to watch.
:lol

mardigan
07-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Hope he gets them, he would be good for baseball imo

lotr1trekkie
07-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Cuban don't buy the Cubs! Please Stevie make Holt an offer he can't refuse. At long last we would have an owner who truly understands basketball. Our Tight fisted owner only knows how to win. Letting Nash and Finley go, for nothing, were strokes of genius. Please come to SA so we too can glow in your brilliance.

GoSpurs21
07-13-2007, 06:32 PM
no way in hell the traditional owners allow a wildcard loud mouth by any MLB team much less a storied franchist like the Cubs. Cuban will never own a MLB team.

Strike
07-13-2007, 08:07 PM
I will burn my Cubs hat and never cheer for them again if he becomes owner.

Why? It's not like the Cubs previous and current owners have done shit in 100 years!

Maybe Dallas hasn't won a title since Cuban bought the team, but look at the Mavericks before Cuban's ownership and look at them now.

Chokers or not, Dallas is a contender for the crown year in and year out. I'd like to see what he can do with my beloved Cubbies.

I don't care that he is the owner of an NBA team that I hate. I've been hoping for this ever since the rumors started.

Findog
07-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Rumor has it Tony LaRussa will be replaced with Don Nelson if this goes through.

Findog
07-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Letting Nash and Finley go, for nothing, were strokes of genius. .

Do you know anything about basketball? Nash's cap-hold was replaced with Dampier. Without Dampier, we have to double-team Tim Duncan. Without Dampier, we don't beat the Spurs.

Finley signed his contract under the previous CBA. They saved $50 million in lux tax payments by cutting him. I don't recall needing him to get to the Finals either.

The Spurs are any Western team's biggest obstacle to the Finals. Trading a PG that can't guard Tony Parker in exchange for a big to help contain Tim Duncan is a pretty good swap in my book. Not having to deal with luxury tax payments in Finley's case is pretty nice too. We've gone further without them than we ever did with them.

Trainwreck2100
07-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Do you know anything about basketball? Nash's cap-hold was replaced with Dampier. Without Dampier, we have to double-team Tim Duncan. Without Dampier, we don't beat the Spurs.

Finley signed his contract under the previous CBA. They saved $50 million in lux tax payments by cutting him. I don't recall needing him to get to the Finals either.

:lol :lol

With Dampier, you haven't won a title, and you lost a guy that ended up winning 2 MVP's. But giving up Finley had to be done.

Findog
07-13-2007, 08:28 PM
:lol :lol

With Dampier, you haven't won a title, and you lost a guy that ended up winning 2 MVP's. But giving up Finley had to be done.

The Mavs were never going to beat the Spurs with Nash at PG and not having the salary slot to get a big like Damp. No, we haven't won a title, but Diop and Dampier are an absolute necessity if you want to have a prayer of beating San Antonio. We don't have to double-team him all the time and we can stay home on your shooters. The Suns don't have the interior defenders necessary to contain or neutralize Duncan.

As for Nash's two MVPs, whatever. He's not even the best PG in the game. Kobe is the best wing/guard, Tim is the best big. Anything else is just media masturbation. I don't much care about Dirk's MVP either. I suppose it would be boring to give it to Duncan or Kobe year after year.

tsb2000
07-13-2007, 08:43 PM
The Mavs were never going to beat the Spurs with Nash at PG

Funny, neither are the Suns! :lol

As for Nash's two MVPs, whatever. He's not even the best PG in the game.

Paging Mr Parker...Mr. Parker, please raise the finals MVP trophy...the one that counts! :clap

lotr1trekkie
07-13-2007, 08:51 PM
I guess Findog is talking about 2006 when Dampier contained Tim for 34 and 14. In retropect you should be wishing the refs had called that last foul on Tim so you wouldn't have humiliated yourselves against a very ordinary Eastern rep. I know Nash can't cover Tony but name a point guard who can--no one. Most teams puts someone else on him. If I were Cuban I'd offer Harris and Howard for Nash. Nash would make Dampier look like semi-Amare.

Help A Brother Out
07-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Turns out Finley didn't need the Mavs to win a title.

spursreport
07-13-2007, 09:05 PM
As for Nash's two MVPs, whatever. He's not even the best PG in the game. Kobe is the best wing/guard, Tim is the best big. Anything else is just media masturbation. I don't much care about Dirk's MVP either. I suppose it would be boring to give it to Duncan or Kobe year after year.

Who is better than Nash at the pg spot? The only guy I would even say is a healthy Baron Davis. Hell I would take Nash over Irk in a heartbeat. Clutcher, tougher, better leader, has more heart, and he makes his teamates better even when they were missing Amare last season. Irk may have made the finals but that was due to Amare being out the year which depleted the Suns frontline.

Help A Brother Out
07-13-2007, 09:07 PM
SpursReport ate my balls.

exstatic
07-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Cuban jumping on the scorer's table and screaming "conspiracy!!!" at David Stern pretty much ensured that he'll never own an MLB club.

tmtcsc
07-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Perennial losers...perfect.

Help A Brother Out
07-13-2007, 10:18 PM
MLB doesn't care for New Money.

Kriz-Maxima
07-13-2007, 10:20 PM
I think he would be good for MLB. The Mavs have not won a title but they are now a winning franchise, not only in games. I dont think it will happen but I hope it does. You might not like Cuban but he does his work and he does it well.

Findog
07-13-2007, 10:45 PM
I guess Findog is talking about 2006 when Dampier contained Tim for 34 and 14. It was 32 and 13 straight up. Most teams have to double him. Dampier and Diop afford us that luxury. If it was Shawn Bradley or Raef LaFrentz on TD straight up, your shooters would light us up.

Nash can't cover Tony but name a point guard who can--no one.

It depends on what you mean by "cover": Shut him down? You don't shut down elite players. Keep them from going completely nuts? I got a name for you, his name is Devin Harris. Parker's had his share of really good games against us, but he doesn't consistently light us up they way he does others.

If I were Cuban I'd offer Harris and Howard for Nash.

That is why you post on Spurstalk.com and Donnie Nelson is president of basketball operations for the Dallas Mavericks, assuming you're not being snarky.

Findog
07-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Who is better than Nash at the pg spot? The only guy I would even say is a healthy Baron Davis.

Jason Kidd, Tony Parker, Baron Davis, Deron Williams, Chris Paul > Nash. Plug any one of those guys into Nash's spot and the Suns don't skip a beat. I might even take Allen Iverson over Nash.

Hell I would take Nash over Irk in a heartbeat.

30 out of 30 GMs would disagree with you.

Irk may have made the finals but that was due to Amare being out the year which depleted the Suns frontline.

It was also due to getting past San Antonio. We're capable of beating the Suns with Amare. Nash and Amare are 7-5 against us over the last three years. That's hardly ownage. By the same token, the Spurs are 4-8 in their last 12 games against the Mavericks. Who would seriously argue by virtue of that recent history and us winning the last playoff series that San Antonio can't beat Dallas? If we use your Suns with Amare > Mavs logic, then Dallas owns the Spurs, lock, stock and barrel. And in both cases, it's just not true.

Findog
07-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Turns out Finley didn't need the Mavs to win a title.

That's irrelevant to whether or not it was a good move for Dallas to avoid the lux tax hit from his contract. They had no control over his destination (did you think he was gonna sign with Charlotte?), have eliminated his new team in the playoffs and acquired financial flexibility by releasing him. On a personal note, once the Mavs were eliminated, I was rooting for the Spurs and am happy for him.

spursreport
07-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Jason Kidd, Tony Parker, Baron Davis, Deron Williams, Chris Paul > Nash. Plug any one of those guys into Nash's spot and the Suns don't skip a beat. I might even take Allen Iverson over Nash.

30 out of 30 GMs would disagree with you.

It was also due to getting past San Antonio. We're capable of beating the Suns with Amare. Nash and Amare are 7-5 against us over the last three years. That's hardly ownage. By the same token, the Spurs are 4-8 in their last 12 games against the Mavericks. Who would seriously argue by virtue of that recent history and us winning the last playoff series that San Antonio can't beat Dallas? If we use your Suns with Amare > Mavs logic, then Dallas owns the Spurs, lock, stock and barrel. And in both cases, it's just not true.

You are capable but you haven't proven that yet. The Suns managed to beat you without Joe Johnson and a weaker bench in 05. The Mavs cant hold a healthy Suns team in check like the Spurs can. The Suns can get any basket they want on them. Nash and Amare can run that pick and roll all day long resulting in tons of dunks and layups. If Josh Howard or any key player (Howard,Harris) outside of Irk was out when they played the Suns in a series, you would be saying the same exact thing.

You would think after not having Amare all season and Nash leading them to a 50 win plus season and nearly pushing the Mavs 7 games with a depleted roster, that you would give Nash a little more respect. Chris Paul is a badass but he isnt better than Nash. He also needs to actually get his team to the playoffs before that talk can even start to happen. Parker is a better defensive player but no way does he reach Nash's level in terms of making players better. Deron Williams? God let your hate for Nash go. Kidd? still a good pg but at this stage give me Nash over him.

If GM's were looking for a superstar to build around with heart, guts, toughness, clutchness and intangibles that make their teamates better and it was between these 2 players...Nash>Irk hands down. Irk doesnt make his teamates better. He admitted (while showing it on the court as well) indirectly to the media that he is mentally weak when he said "I am going to take what the Warriors give me" and "the warriors are getting to my head". "If we lose game 4 we are done" What kind of leader says that shit? When the Mavs really needed their leader to step up these past 2 playoff series when their season was on the line, what did Irk do? NOTHING! He was scared to step up and be a man. He was intimiated and gave up which led to the team giving up. Nash is NEVER afraid to take big shots and he isnt afraid to get put on his ass. He will take charges and bust his ass off night in and night out. He managed to take an injured Suns team to the WCF. He ran into the Spurs but he didnt choke. They just werent good enough. Nash still was fighting and never letting his team quit. He did everything he could, it just wasnt enough. If saying that Nash winning the MVP is a joke, I wonder how Irk winning it makes the NBA look.

Findog
07-14-2007, 12:09 AM
You would think after not having Amare all season and Nash leading them to a 50 win plus season and nearly pushing the Mavs 7 games with a depleted roster, that you would give Nash a little more respect.

I have loads of respect for Nash, I watched him for six years in Dallas, he's one of my all-time favorite players, but I know what he is and isn't.

Chris Paul is a badass but he isnt better than Nash. He also needs to actually get his team to the playoffs before that talk can even start to happen.

Get back to me when Paul has something to work with like Amare and Marion.

Parker is a better defensive player but no way does he reach Nash's level in terms of making players better.

You need to play on both ends of the floor. I watched TP outplay Nash for four years in Dallas. Nothing's changed now that he's in a Suns jersey.

Deron Williams? God let your hate for Nash go. Kidd? still a good pg but at this stage give me Nash over him.

Hate? LOL. I love Nash. He's awesome. I just happen to realize that he's a perfect fit in that system. There's five guys that could come in and play PG for Phoenix and the Suns would be just as good.

If GM's were looking for a superstar to build around with heart, guts, toughness, clutchness and intangibles that make their teamates better and it was between these 2 players...Nash>Irk hands down.

God, let your hate of Dirk and the Mavs go if you're going to keep slobbing Steve Nash and building him up into something he's not. GMs also look at things like talent. Dirk is more talented than Nash and he's led a team to a Finals appearance.

Irk doesnt make his teamates better.

Dirk's not a PG. He gets open looks for his teammates by drawing double teams. Perhaps you failed to notice Terry failing to hit water from a boat. Or Avery getting worked like a punching bag by Nellie. Or nobody able to keep Davis in front of them. None of those things were Dirk's fault. What WAS Dirk's fault was putting up 19, 10 and 3 when they need him to put up 27 and 12 to win. They lost as a team, with Dirk doing his part.

He admitted (while showing it on the court as well) indirectly to the media that he is mentally weak when he said "I am going to take what the Warriors give me" and "the warriors are getting to my head". "If we lose game 4 we are done" What kind of leader says that shit?

You're doing a bad job of distorting and characterizing what he said. And you're pretty much making up shit on those last two quotes. He said if the Mavs fell behind 3-1, it would be pretty hard for them to overcome it. That's not an admission of surrender, just acknowledging that Game Four was a must-win. You must be that fucking bitter over losing to us to constantly hate on the guy. Did he kick your dog or sleep with your wife?

When the Mavs really needed their leader to step up these past 2 playoff series when their season was on the line, what did Irk do? NOTHING! He was scared to step up and be a man. He was intimiated and gave up which led to the team giving up. Nash is NEVER afraid to take big shots and he isnt afraid to get put on his ass. He will take charges and bust his ass off night in and night out. He managed to take an injured Suns team to the WCF. He ran into the Spurs but he didnt choke. They just werent good enough. Nash still was fighting and never letting his team quit. He did everything he could, it just wasnt enough. If saying that Nash winning the MVP is a joke, I wonder how Irk winning it makes the NBA look.

Okay, Dr. Phil, whatever you say. No matter that the Mavericks couldn't guard Wade. I didn't realize that was Dirk's assignment. Dirk put up 29 points and 15 rebounds when we were eliminated in G6 against the Heat, I didn't realize that was doing "nothing" with the season on the line. Pay no attention to Dirk's 5-0 record in Game 7 either. Or the numerous team failures against Golden State. I don't know how Dirk winning a regular season award makes the NBA look, since they almost always give it to the best player on the team with the best record, but I do know how your facile "commentary" makes you look.

I love Nash, but it's not hating on him to point out he's not the best PG in the game and that he's in a perfect situation in Phoenix. Dirk's more talented and he's taken his team farther than Nash has. Dirk's got a Finals appearance under his belt with a guy that put up 15 and 10 as his sidekick. Nash has two All-Stars, two guys on the all-NBA defensive teams and he still can't get it done. I get it, you don't like Dirk or the Mavs. God, you sound just as pathetic as the loser Suns trolls that keep blaming David Stern for losing their series.

spursreport
07-14-2007, 12:35 AM
I have loads of respect for Nash, I watched him for six years in Dallas, he's one of my all-time favorite players, but I know what he is and isn't.

Get back to me when Paul has something to work with like Amare and Marion.

You need to play on both ends of the floor. I watched TP outplay Nash for four years in Dallas. Nothing's changed now that he's in a Suns jersey.

Hate? LOL. I love Nash. He's awesome. I just happen to realize that he's a perfect fit in that system. There's five guys that could come in and play PG for Phoenix and the Suns would be just as good.

God, let your hate of Dirk and the Mavs go if you're going to keep slobbing Steve Nash and building him up into something he's not. GMs also look at things like talent. Dirk is more talented than Nash and he's led a team to a Finals appearance.

Dirk's not a PG. He gets open looks for his teammates by drawing double teams. Perhaps you failed to notice Terry failing to hit water from a boat. Or Avery getting worked like a punching bag by Nellie. Pr nobody able to keep Davis in front of them. None of those things were Dirk's fault. What WAS Dirk's fault was putting up 19, 10 and 3 when they need him to put up 27 and 12 to win. They lost as a team, with Dirk doing his part.

You're doing a bad job of distorting and characterizing what he said. And you're pretty much making up shit on those last two quotes. He said if the Mavs fell behind 3-1, it would be pretty hard for them to overcome it. That's not an admission of surrender, just acknowledging that Game Four was a must-win. You must be that fucking bitter over losing to us to constantly hate on the guy. Did he kick your dog or sleep with your wife?

Okay, Dr. Phil, whatever you say. No matter that the Mavericks couldn't guard Wade. I didn't realize that was Dirk's assignment. Dirk put up 29 points and 15 rebounds when we were eliminated in G6 against the Heat, I didn't realize that was doing "nothing" with the season on the line. Pay no attention to Dirk's 5-0 record in Game 7 either. Or the numerous team failures against Golden State. I don't how Dirk winning a regular season award makes the NBA, look since they almost always give it to the best player on the team with the best record, but I do know how your facile "commentary" makes you look.

I love Nash, but it's not hating on him to point out he's not the best PG in the game and that he's in a perfect situation in Phoenix. Dirk's more talented and he's taken his team farther than Nash has. Dirk's got a Finals appearance under his belt with a guy that put up 15 and 10 as his sidekick. Nash has two All-Stars, two guys on the all-NBA defensive teams and he still can't get it done. I get it, you don't like Dirk or the Mavs. God, you sound just as pathetic as the loser Suns trolls that keep blaming David Stern for losing their series.

Irk did lead his team to the Finals as they beat an Amareless Suns team in the WCF. I am sorry but Nash led that team that far says more about him as a player. The fact he literally had no bigman and took his team that far. Of course I hate the Mavs but I go by what I see on the games. You are defending Irk saying he did all he could but I call bullshit on that. He is SOFT! Duncan isnt a pg either yet he makes his teamates better. It has to deal with if you really believe and rub that off to your teamates. Irk isnt that player. In game 6 vs the Heat Dirk was great for the FIRST 3 QUARTERS! The 4th he went 0-4 for 2 points and was scared shitless to take any big shot. Explain that to me. Passing to fucking Dampier in the closing seconds and not even wanting to take the final shot. Nash is 5-0 in game 7's as well. Ignore that fact as well. While Irk is a different player from Nash, Nash does things that dont show up on the stat sheet that Irk cant do. He doesnt rely on others to take big shots for him. He isnt afraid of physical play. He doesnt quit on the team. He has heart. He makes his teamates better which is what SUPERSTARS do. The facts hurt. Irk is overrated plain and simple and he has shown why.

Findog
07-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Irk did lead his team to the Finals as they beat an Amareless Suns team in the WCF.

Dirk did something Nash cannot, and that is beat a championship-caliber team like San Antonio.

I am sorry but Nash led that team that far says more about him as a player. The fact he literally had no bigman and took his team that far

Taken to seven games by the two LA teams. Wow! Color me awestruck. We would've beaten them in five if our guys weren't so damn pleased with themselves for knocking off San Antonio two days earlier.

Duncan isnt a pg either yet he makes his teamates better. Never said Dirk was as good as Duncan. Nobody is.

Passing to fucking Dampier in the closing seconds and not even wanting to take the final shot.

How bout that runner over Shaq at the end of Game 5? How bout passing to a wide-open Dampier underneath the basket when he was triple-teamed in overtime to put Dallas up by one point before Wade's final possession? Passing up a shot is sometimes the right play when you have three fucking guys draped all over you and somebody is wide fucking open underneath the basket. You're just picking and choosing specific moments to make a definitive judgment about a guy. Guys have bad games and bad series. They don't define someone anymore than their highest moments.

He doesnt quit on the team. He has heart. He makes his teamates better which is what SUPERSTARS do. The facts hurt. Irk is overrated plain and simple and he has shown why

If any of that were true, Dirk could never have gotten his team past the Spurs and into the Finals. You can't just selectively pick and choose different moments of a guy's career to make a sweeping judgment. Dirk has come up small sometimes and he's come up big. If Steve Nash is so great, explain to me how he can't lead a team to a Finals with two All-Stars, two All-Defensive team members and the 6th man of the year.

You're just crapping all over Dirk because he was good enough to beat your team. Harp all you want over us beating the Suns without Amare, but you play who you play, and we're not exactly helpless against Amare either. Does 4-8 and losing a playoff series to Dallas make the Spurs our bitch? No. Neither does 5-7 and losing to them three years make us the Suns bitch either.

spursreport
07-14-2007, 03:31 AM
Dirk did something Nash cannot, and that is beat a championship-caliber team like San Antonio.

Taken to seven games by the two LA teams. Wow! Color me awestruck. We would've beaten them in five if our guys weren't so damn pleased with themselves for knocking off San Antonio two days earlier.

Never said Dirk was as good as Duncan. Nobody is.

How bout that runner over Shaq at the end of Game 5? How bout passing to a wide-open Dampier underneath the basket when he was triple-teamed in overtime to put Dallas up by one point before Wade's final possession? Passing up a shot is sometimes the right play when you have three fucking guys draped all over you and somebody is wide fucking open underneath the basket. You're just picking and choosing specific moments to make a definitive judgment about a guy. Guys have bad games and bad series. They don't define someone anymore than their highest moments.

If any of that were true, Dirk could never have gotten his team past the Spurs and into the Finals. You can't just selectively pick and choose different moments of a guy's career to make a sweeping judgment. Dirk has come up small sometimes and he's come up big. If Steve Nash is so great, explain to me how he can't lead a team to a Finals with two All-Stars, two All-Defensive team members and the 6th man of the year.

You're just crapping all over Dirk because he was good enough to beat your team. Harp all you want over us beating the Suns without Amare, but you play who you play, and we're not exactly helpless against Amare either. Does 4-8 and losing a playoff series to Dallas make the Spurs our bitch? No. Neither does 5-7 and losing to them three years make us the Suns bitch either.

You always go back to the Spurs series of 2006 as defining his moment of greatness but what about his last 2 playoff series? After all those years of losing in the playoffs you would think they would have finally learned. Irk finally had that chance to get him and his team over that hump and it didnt happen. No excuses for not stepping up in the 4th quarter of those elimination games. Spurs gave Irk too much respect which should of never happened. You never give a pussy jumpshooting 7 footer that much respect. If he drives, put his ass on the floor. Irk and most of that Maverick team is afraid of constant contact so it would of resulted in him driving less and shooting more clanking jumpers. It wasnt just Wade and B-diddy that was the only reason why it caused you to lose that series. It was their style of physical play. Spurs werent physical with the Mavs like Miami and Golden State were. That was the type of play dallas couldnt adjust to because it was the first team who didnt give them that much respect in that 06 year. They bullied the Mavs around especially Irk and they couldnt respond to it. It intimidated them and made them feel inferior to the heat and to the warriors. This has always been a serious weakness (along with lack of low post scoring) for Dallas and Irk and it still is. I am crapping all over Irk because he is what he truly is...soft and overrated! That one playoff season where the spurs gave him too much respect doesnt cover up for that. I have seen him fold/choke alot more than prevailing in the postseason. 19 ppg in the first round isnt a good thing by any means. The MVP ppg average dropped down 5 points from his regular season ppg and he shot 38% fg and 21% from the 3 point line. :rolleyes Yeah he really was doing his thing that series.

Findog
07-14-2007, 03:58 AM
Spurs gave Irk too much respect which should of never happened. You never give a pussy jumpshooting 7 footer that much respect.

You don't know anything about basketball. The reason the Spurs played him that way is because they have to. There's only one Bruce Bowen to go around. Stick him on Dirk and there's nobody on your team to guard Howard. Put him on Howard and there's nobody to guard Dirk on the high post. Oberto can't do it and it negates a major strength of yours to draw Duncan away from the basket. Dirk is a shooting guard in a 7 footer's body. Duncan can hit an 18 foot jumper consistently but that's not where you play him. It has nothing to do with "respect." If you think Golden State and Miami don't respect Dirk, then perhaps you didnt notice the constant double teams he drew. Call him names all you want, but it just exposes your bias and grudge. Just as we are a matchup nightmare for the Spurs, put Baron Davis and four swingmen on the floor against a team like the Mavs is a matchup nightmare for us. What the hell do you think Don Nelson had in mind when he made that trade for Jax and Harrington? As a Mavs fan, I hated it, but as a basketball fan, that kind of engineering is brilliant.

Duncan is an excellent defensive player, but he doesn't have the skillset to defend a guy like Dirk out on the high post, or a lanky small forward like Josh Howard. With Dampier out with a torn rotator cuff, who is a guy like Dirk supposed to guard when Don Nelson throws out Baron Davis and four 6'7 wings? They turned him into a defensive liability. Nellie has always had a knack for coming up with mismatches. You can keep talking about "willpower" and "heart" and "courage" all you want, but X's and O's prevail every single time. If there's a common denominator to our last two playoff series, it's no perimeter defense. And it's almost cost us against Phoenix (Nash) and Houston (McGrady). Until the Mavs can get a Bowen of their own, it's going to continue to be a potentially fatal weakness.

The MVP ppg average dropped down 5 points from his regular season ppg and he shot 38% fg and 21% from the 3 point line. Yeah he really was doing his thing that series.

I don't recall saying Dirk had a good series against the Warriors. I do recall saying that his coach and his teammates stunk it up as well. I think it says a lot about a guy that 19 and 10 is considering suckitude by his standards. You're describing a spare, not a Franchise guy having a subpar series.

spursreport
07-14-2007, 04:07 AM
You don't know anything about basketball. The reason the Spurs played him that way is because they have to. There's only one Bruce Bowen to go around. Stick him on Dirk and there's nobody on your team to guard Howard. Put him on Howard and there's nobody to guard Dirk on the high post. Oberto can't do it and it negates a major strength of yours to draw Duncan away from the basket. Dirk is a shooting guard in a 7 footer's body. Duncan can hit an 18 foot jumper consistently but that's not where you play him. It has nothing to do with "respect." If you think Golden State and Miami don't respect Dirk, then perhaps you didnt notice the constant double teams he drew. Call him names all you want, but it just exposes your bias and grudge.

If Irk drives put him on his ass. Do that a number of times and he doesnt drive. It wears him out and makes him less effective. He cant handle that style of play. As I said respect Irk as a player you have to deal with but be aggressive on him and show no fear. When he drives put him on his ass and keep doing that over and over again because it will wear him down mentally and physically. I love how you make excuses for him every single time. You didnt respond to my other points because you know I am right and it pains you to admit it. Go ahead and believe your overrated "superstar" is good enough to lead you to a title. It will only lead to more disapointment when he shows his true colors again next season.

Findog
07-14-2007, 04:11 AM
When he drives put him on his ass and keep doing that over and over again because it will wear him down mentally and physically. I love how you make excuses for him every single time. You didnt respond to my other points because you know I am right and it pains you to admit it.

What "points" would those be? You keep calling him a pussy in lieu of making an argument. There's no points to refute. You can't seem to address my argument about the matchups. Bruce Bowen guarded Dirk during the San Antonio series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Bowen play a physical style of defense? Didn't seem to bother Dirk. The last two series hinged on Wade averaging 35 ppg and Baron Davis getting 25 and 5 on 57% shooting from the floor than anything Dirk did or didn't do.

You are funny, I've never encountered this much bitterness from a Spurs fan before. It's one thing for a Heat or Warriors fan to dismiss Dirk, but Spurs fans should know better what the guy is capable of. I'll criticize him for not playing up to his standards against Golden State, but I'm not going to say things that aren't true. I'm not going to put everything at his feet when his teammates didn't do their jobs either.

Go ahead and believe your overrated "superstar" is good enough to lead you to a title. It will only lead to more disapointment when he shows his true colors again next season.

Tell me more, Nostradamus. I don't know what the future does or doesn't hold. Hmm, Dirk is 29, Josh is 26, Devin is 25, Diop is 23, Jet is 30. Good thing I have you to tell me there's no need to pay attention to my team for the next six years.

Switchman
07-14-2007, 10:55 AM
No salary cap = fucking joke.

And Yankees fans think they are badass when their teams salary equals the bottom 5 mlb teams combined.

bdubya
07-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Cuban'd be a great fit in Wrigleyville; he'll have his pick of loudmouth fratboy mook-ass.

FromWayDowntown
07-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Rumor has it Tony LaRussa will be replaced with Don Nelson if this goes through.

That would be remarkable -- Cuban can purchase the Cubs and at the same time have the Cardinals' manager replaced? He's truly amazing.

Holmes_Fans
07-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Okay, Dr. Phil, whatever you say. No matter that the Mavericks couldn't guard Wade. I didn't realize that was Dirk's assignment. Dirk put up 29 points and 15 rebounds when we were eliminated in G6 against the Heat,

He also hit the go ahead shot towards the end of regulation, the at the end of OT in game 5. Both were trumped by dwades free throws though.

Findog
07-14-2007, 08:07 PM
He also hit the go ahead shot towards the end of regulation, the at the end of OT in game 5. Both were trumped by dwades free throws though.

Hey, all that matters is that he's not perfect. Therefore he's WORTHLESS and the Mavs need to cut his ass.

Findog
07-14-2007, 08:07 PM
That would be remarkable -- Cuban can purchase the Cubs and at the same time have the Cardinals' manager replaced? He's truly amazing.

Well, given the long-time rivalry between St. Louis and Chicago, who better to manage the Redbirds than Cuban's nemesis?

rwb
07-14-2007, 09:23 PM
He couldn't be interested in a team I couldn't care less about? For gosh sakes, buy the freaking Yankees if you're going to stick your johnson into baseball. I'd rather keep cheering for a losing Cubs franchise than have to tolerate Cuban. Maybe he decided basketball games are too short and it doesn't give him enough air time. I can see him now, jumping onto the field to argue with the umpire about a strike. :rolleyes

HJNTX
07-14-2007, 10:06 PM
So will your favorite guy to hate get out of basketball if he is successful in buying the Cubs?

The rumored price for the Cubs is around 600 Million. The Mavs are reported to be worth around $500 million.

Will he sell the Mavs to buy the Cubs or will he split time.

I'm not sure he can get enough approval votes from the league owners to be allowed to purchase the Cubs.

Apparently Bud Selig and some of his croonies don't like innovative and outspoken owners like Cube. So he may lobby against him???

I'm sure you meant, "a-holes like Cuban.." :vomit: