PDA

View Full Version : Why all the fuss about trades/SA office moves?

greens
07-13-2007, 04:49 PM
I don't understand why some people are getting so angry over the trade of Scola/Butler and other Spurs office moves or non moves...

Honestly, I personally could care less about who the Spurs trade or don't trade...as long as the following core is in tact:

Manu/Tim/Tony/Bruce+Pop

That's what keeps winning championship. Everyone else is just an added bonus.

I don't get all the fuss about Butler, who barely had any playing time...and who didn't exactly add to this championship run. And Scola, whose contract was a big issue in the first place...it's not like he was here to help the Spurs win any of their championships...

So what did we lose by not having Butler/Scola...nothing.

I truly believe that the amazing big four of Brucey/Timmy/Tony/Manu plus an awesome coach Pop is all that matters.

sabar
07-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Empowering a division rival doesn't exactly up our odds at repeating, and it hurts us even more 2 years down the line when those two are used to the Rocket's system. I could care less about Butler and Scola -- if we had traded them to any other team than the Rockets/Mavs.

whottt
07-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Because being the defending champions isn't enough...

You also have to have a flawless draft record and spend more money than Steinbrenner...

The Truth #6
07-13-2007, 04:57 PM
A lot of players on the team are about 97 years old. I think people were hoping to develop young talent to keep the dynasty going.

greens
07-13-2007, 05:01 PM
A lot of players on the team are about 97 years old. I think people were hoping to develop young talent to keep the dynasty going.

The "old guys" won championships in 03, 05, and 07. Every single championship team during that time had a ton of veteran players.

So why change something if it had worked before?

And sabar, I highly doubt that Butler/Scola are going to "empower" the Rockets/Mavs... :p:

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 05:03 PM
We needed another thread like this.

PM5K
07-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Because that's what real fans do, they watch Summer League games, and nit pick every player signing, cut, or trade, especially when it's summer and there isn't much else to talk about.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Why the concern? Giving up talent without getting comparable talent in return is not a good thing in the NBA. Also, I guess I was on the bandwagon long before most of you and recall what it was like when the Spurs had shitty supporting casts. Losing talent for nothing to save a little is foolish.

If the Spurs don't win the title next year, I'm sure most of you will feel that the Spurs have the talent they need.

Reckless28
07-13-2007, 05:20 PM
still need better wing players that can shoot the 3's.
who's out there that will take beno and barry?

lotr1trekkie
07-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Udoka sounds like a solid addition. Comes in immediatlly to spell Bruce. He takes pressure off Manu also so Manu can play the #2 more. His addition also means we can keep White or Williams as a project for one season --no pressure. The only problem is that if he suits up every nite then Udrih or Barry will go to the IL and that doesn't make sense

Kamnik
07-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Because a lot of people here think they are basketball gods and know way more than Pop and Bufford.

SenorSpur
07-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Because in the ever-changing competitive landscape that is the NBA, a team cannot rest on its laurels - even if they did just win a championship. They must seek to improve the team and not just shave off salary. That's not to say they need to spend money friviously as the Dallas', Orlando's and Knicks of the world.

More than that, a team that has limited trade assets doesn't simply give them away for the least amount of return value.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Because a lot of people here think they are basketball gods and know way more than Pop and Bufford.

At this point I'm pretty sure they do.

td4mvp3
07-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Because in the ever-changing competitive landscape that is the NBA, a team cannot rest on its laurels - even if they did just win a championship. They must seek to improve the team and not just shave off salary. That's not to say they need to spend money friviously as the Dallas', Orlando's and Knicks of the world.

More than that, a team that has limited trade assets doesn't simply give them away for the least amount of return value.
but a team also has to look long-term and put itself in a position to improve its team, particularly when the market is san antonio. you save a little here, spend a little there. someone already posted the five teams that paid luxary tax, with the spurs among them, so to say they're cheap and unwilling to spend is untrue. they have spent, now they save a little. can't blame 'em, especially after winning the title. hell, how much more will the team make if it repeats? judging by the ratings numbers and the little national exposure the team gets, not much, and probably not $7 mil more.

td4mvp3
07-13-2007, 08:24 PM
The "old guys" won championships in 03, 05, and 07. Every single championship team during that time had a ton of veteran players.

So why change something if it had worked before?

And sabar, I highly doubt that Butler/Scola are going to "empower" the Rockets/Mavs... :p:
you forgot that the 99 team weren't spring chickens either. mario elie, jaren jackson, freakin' avery.

greens
07-14-2007, 03:38 AM
Why the concern? Giving up talent without getting comparable talent in return is not a good thing in the NBA. Also, I guess I was on the bandwagon long before most of you and recall what it was like when the Spurs had shitty supporting casts. Losing talent for nothing to save a little is foolish.

Talent? Honestly, I'll admit that I haven't seen Butler play at all...but from what I hear, he wasn't "all that"...so I don't see how the Spurs trading him means they are loosing a talent...Butler was a non factor to the recent championship. His value to the team is not huge...

And Scola had a contract that Spurs couldn't get him out off...

Plus the Spurs have now more cash to try to get at least one decent player...

The way I see it, the Spurs can change and trade anyone as long as they don't touch the big four of Manu/Tim/Tony/Bruce....It will still be the same team, but with different supporting cast...

It feels like every year when the Spurs don't make too huge of a changes, people call them "old" and say they cannot possibly win...or "that's it, the window had closed on them..." And yet, the Spurs win a championship, regardless of all the talk...