PDA

View Full Version : Jeter "ain't all the way black"

Slinkyman
07-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Sincerely,
Gary Sheffield

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2935737)

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-13-2007, 07:53 PM
I love Sheffield. He doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks and says the dumbest shit ever.

His problem is that he doesn't know how to state his cases very well. I'm sure there is a lot of truth in what he says, but he's one of those people who just grates on others whenever he speaks.

As long as you keep hitting bombs, you can talk about whatever you like, Gary.

Slinkyman
07-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Gary is 38, has 476 HRs and has hit 274 HRs since turning 30. No way he's on Roids!!!

jochhejaam
07-14-2007, 05:55 AM
I love Sheffield. He doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks and says the dumbest shit ever.

His problem is that he doesn't know how to state his cases very well. I'm sure there is a lot of truth in what he says, but he's one of those people who just grates on others whenever he speaks.

So what does he do for an encore to his latest rant? Hits a Grand Slam in a 6-3 Tiger win over the Mariners.

Go Gary, Go!

Thunder Dan
07-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Sheffield is an idiot. All you have to do is listen to him speak. He and Sheed are two of a kind

07-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Gary is 38, has 476 HRs and has hit 274 HRs since turning 30. No way he's on Roids!!!

Aaron hit 389 homers after the age of 30. Ruth? 405.

Must have been on steroids too, eh?

Vizzini
07-14-2007, 11:04 AM

Here here. If saying whatever is on his mind will keep the dingers coming, I am all for it.

Thunder Dan
07-14-2007, 11:37 AM
He needs to shut up and play baseball. He isn't going to solve world problems. He needs to cut the Jessie Jackson shit out and play the game he is paid handsomly to play.

jochhejaam
07-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Sheffield is an idiot. All you have to do is listen to him speak. He and Sheed are two of a kind
Torre, is that you?

StylisticS
07-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Torre, is that you?
No Gary, I don't think that's that's your former manager, Joe Torre.

exstatic
07-14-2007, 02:01 PM
The bad thing about this is that the Tigers owned on the Yanks last year in the post-season, but Sheff has just given them a ton of bulletin board material.

jochhejaam
07-14-2007, 03:51 PM
The bad thing about this is that the Tigers owned on the Yanks last year in the post-season, but Sheff has just given them a ton of bulletin board material.
Scary, especially in light of the good possibility that the Yanks will not even be in the playoffs.

OldDirtMcGirt
07-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Sheffield has officially moved into Curt Schilling territory with this. Just shut the fuck up.

T Park
07-16-2007, 02:58 AM
If this was a white guy that said this the other way around, he would be getting the John Rocker treatment.

Good old hypocrisy and double standards.

God Bless America.

John McClane
07-16-2007, 04:53 AM
If this was a white guy that said this the other way around, he would be getting the John Rocker treatment.

Good old hypocrisy and double standards.

God Bless America.

Remember, they are allowed due to the slavery that was never imposed on them because none of them were alive in the early 1800's. :rolleyes

Hypocricy for EVERYONE!!

dg7md
07-16-2007, 05:56 AM

Yep...

DarkReign
07-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Great player. Stupid human being.

The rumors of his ignorance are not greatly exaggerated.

Thunder Dan
07-16-2007, 02:40 PM
It's funny he claims Torre is racist but he is going to pass judgement on what Jeter is or isn't. The reason he doesn't get respect is becuase he isn't a person who deserves it. Shit, look at how many teams he has been with. Obviously nobody thinks highly enough of him to keep him around a long time

jochhejaam
07-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Sheffield admitted that he says crazy things and in light of tha his opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

Most people don't vocalize every thought that runs through their mind, Sheffield is one of the few that does. He really doesn't care what people think of what he says, in fact I think he's somewhat amused by all the fuss his comments create. He feeds off of controversy.

Thunder Dan
07-16-2007, 04:49 PM
he is just trying to sell his book. He couldn't even wait untill after his career to write one. It's basically going to be 3/5 of a story. Nobody will want to read it though anyway.

jochhejaam
07-16-2007, 05:02 PM
he is just trying to sell his book. He couldn't even wait untill after his career to write one. It's basically going to be 3/5 of a story. Nobody will want to read it though anyway.

He's controversial, somewhat of an enigma if you will, and on top of that he's a great ballplayer. There's not a better time for a book to be on the market than when you're the center of attention.
Sounds like the ingredients for a hot selling book are in place.

Thunder Dan
07-17-2007, 02:47 PM
He's controversial, somewhat of an enigma if you will, and on top of that he's a great ballplayer. There's not a better time for a book to be on the market than when you're the center of attention.
Sounds like the ingredients for a hot selling book are in place.

See I disagree; here is why:

He has only been controversial of late. I mean think about it, he has done some things in the past that have made you scratch your head, but nothing way out there like he is doing now. He is a good player, but not great. He will be in the Hall of Fame, but he isn't the guy kids dream about being when they are older, like say Griffey. He is just a good baseball player, nothing else; he is now trying to make himself more. Outside of the cities he plays in (and even that is a reach), nobody really cares about him. No guy would dream about being him, like a Jeter or A-Rod. No kids want to grow up to be him, like Griffey or David Ortiz. He is just a good baseball player. Good enough for the Hall of Fame, but not great enough to become more than that. There is a huge list of these guys: (here are some off the top of my head)

Dave Winnfield
Paul Molitor
Wade Boggs
Ryne Sandberg
Gary Carter

these guys where all very good baseball players, but they are not guys you would need to know more of their life story. They were good players, but not the best of their era. They don't have personalities that make kids want to be them. They are just baseball players, nothing more.

DarkReign
07-17-2007, 04:29 PM
^ pretty good list for off the top of your head.

07-17-2007, 06:10 PM
You lost me when you said Big Papi was a great, one of a kind player.

Thunder Dan
07-18-2007, 08:42 AM
You lost me when you said Big Papi was a great, one of a kind player.

I didn't list him as that. I put him as someone kids want to be when they are older. Kids all over the US love that guy

jochhejaam
07-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Sheffield's trying to make money (sell a book) at the expense of others, so I'd categorize him as greedy, ruthless, shameless and a great ballplayer.

jochhejaam
07-18-2007, 06:25 PM
. He is a good player, but not great.
He's up to 477 Home Runs and has a darn good chance of cracking the top 10 all time home run list (he'd need 569). Top Ten and he's only a "good player"?
C'mon Dan...

Thunder Dan
07-19-2007, 08:29 AM
He's up to 477 Home Runs and has a darn good chance of cracking the top 10 all time home run list (he'd need 569). Top Ten and he's only a "good player"?
C'mon Dan...

Sammy Sosa has more home runs than he does, I wouldn't say he is great.

Marklar MM
07-19-2007, 10:58 AM

he roided and used corked bats.

jochhejaam
07-19-2007, 05:29 PM
How many players would you consider great, and who are they? (I have a feeling you have a very short list)

Flight3107
07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
he roided and used corked bats.

You have no proof that Sammy took sterioids, while Sheffield admitted to using steroids

jochhejaam
07-19-2007, 06:14 PM
You have no proof that Sammy took sterioids,
A reasonable person/baseball fan would be inclined to believe that he did.

Flight3107
07-19-2007, 06:33 PM
A reasonable person/baseball fan would be inclined to believe that he did.

Like I said, you have no proof, where as Sheffield has admitted that he himself took steroids.

Do I think Sosa took Roids? Sure, but I have no proof, therefore I am not going to go out a say that he did indeed take roids.

Burn531
07-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Like I said, you have no proof, where as Sheffield has admitted that he himself took steroids.

From the link in this thread:

As for Bonds, Sheffield says "if I took what Barry Bonds took, why don't I look like him?" He also says that he never took steroids because "the bottom line is steroids is something you stick in your butt -- period."

He added that he would be willing to talk to baseball's steroids investigator, former Senator George Mitchell. "I don't feel like it's all that much of a threat to me," he said.

Flight3107
07-20-2007, 12:04 AM
As for Bonds, Sheffield says "if I took what Barry Bonds took, why don't I look like him?" He also says that he never took steroids because "the bottom line is steroids is something you stick in your butt -- period."

He added that he would be willing to talk to baseball's steroids investigator, former Senator George Mitchell. "I don't feel like it's all that much of a threat to me," he said.

Ummmm...... Sheffield admitted to a federal grand jury to taking a steroid cream.

And if you or sheffield believe that steroids can only be injected in the ass, you are both morons.

Thunder Dan
07-20-2007, 07:48 PM
How many players would you consider great, and who are they? (I have a feeling you have a very short list)

your right, very short because you can't throw "great" around. Its the highest other than legendary

Greats (people like this)
Reggie Jackson
Nolan Ryan
A-Rod
Griffey
Cal Ripken Jr
Johnnie Bench
Clemens

Legendary (people like this)
Ruth
Pete Rose
Ted Williams
Jackie Robinson
Aaron
Mantle

samikeyp
07-20-2007, 07:53 PM
I would put Jackie, Ruth and Williams on the great list ahead of Griff and A-Rod. Just my .02.

I do think though that if not for being hurt, Junior could be pushing 700 right now.

jochhejaam
07-20-2007, 08:37 PM
your right, very short because you can't throw "great" around. Its the highest other than legendary

Greats (people like this)
Reggie Jackson
Nolan Ryan
A-Rod
Griffey
Cal Ripken Jr
Johnnie Bench
Clemens

Ripken's great and Sheffield's only "good"?

Ripken played in 700 more games and had 3,200 more at bats than Sheffield yet despite that disparity consider the following:

Home Runs
478 - Sheffield
431 - Ripken

Stolen Bases
236 - Sheffield
36 - Ripken

Slugging Pct
.527 - Sheffield
.447 - Ripken

OBP
.398 - Sheffield
.340 - Ripken

Career BA
.298 - Sheffield
.276 - Ripken

Walks
1,349 - Sheffield
1,149 - Ripken

For the sake of consistency, and to support your own definitions of great ballplayers vs. those that are merely good ballplayers, you need to either add Sheffield to your list of greats or re-categorize Ripken as a good player

Do something with Johnny Bench too (nothing against Bench or Ripken, just your grading system), who had a career BA of .267 with 381 homeruns. Sheffield leads him in every major offensive category.

And if you're figuring character into the equation, remove Pete Rose from your legendary list.

Flight3107
07-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Cal has been to 19 AS games
2 AS game MVP's
Rookie of The Year
AL MVP 83,91
2 GG
8 Silver Slugger awards
And was the best SS during his time

Then you have probably the best cather of All-Time in Johnny Bench

who won

Rookie of The Year
10 Gold Gloves
2 NL MVP's 70,72
1 WS MVP
14 AS Game appearances

And those two have never admitted to taking steroids like Sheffield.

I will take Cal and Bench all day over Sheffield and his juiced stats.

jochhejaam
07-21-2007, 08:15 AM
I will take Cal and Bench all day over Sheffield and his juiced stats.
Sheffield's 6th among all Major League baseball player in Home Runs this year and is on pace for 40 HR's, 112 RBI's and 146 Runs. Those numbers would give him his best year ever and obviously it's done without the aid of "juice".
Oh, and add in that he's doing this at the age of 38.

Here's proof that he's a great hitter without the C&C, any proof that what he took aided his stats?

I didn't think so.

jochhejaam
07-21-2007, 08:18 AM
And if you or sheffield believe that steroids can only be injected in the ass, you are both morons.
I forgot to comment on what a classy response that was.
That's a true indication of a juvenile mindset and a reflects poorly on you, not your intended target.

Thunder Dan
07-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Ripken's great and Sheffield's only "good"?

Ripken played in 700 more games and had 3,200 more at bats than Sheffield yet despite that disparity consider the following:

Home Runs
478 - Sheffield
431 - Ripken

Stolen Bases
236 - Sheffield
36 - Ripken

Slugging Pct
.527 - Sheffield
.447 - Ripken

OBP
.398 - Sheffield
.340 - Ripken

Career BA
.298 - Sheffield
.276 - Ripken

Walks
1,349 - Sheffield
1,149 - Ripken

For the sake of consistency, and to support your own definitions of great ballplayers vs. those that are merely good ballplayers, you need to either add Sheffield to your list of greats or re-categorize Ripken as a good player

Do something with Johnny Bench too (nothing against Bench or Ripken, just your grading system), who had a career BA of .267 with 381 homeruns. Sheffield leads him in every major offensive category.

And if you're figuring character into the equation, remove Pete Rose from your legendary list.

right, but being great isn't all about stats. It's 90% of that, but having your name in the record books for a record that will never be broken will turn a good player into a "great" player. Cal Ripken was a first ballot hall of famer, Shef will not be. Heck, Jackie Robinson is only legendary bacusae of breaking the color barrier. He was a good player, but having done that made him so much more than he was.

Pete Rose holds the record for the most career hits, which in itself should make him legendary; but his involvment in gambling is what will make him legendary. Legendary guys are guys we will hear stories about 40 years from now. Rose is one of those guys.

Flight3107
07-21-2007, 11:48 AM
I forgot to comment on what a classy response that was.
That's a true indication of a juvenile mindset and a reflects poorly on you, not your intended target.

Sorry, but you are a moron if you believe steroids can only be injected in the ass.
Next time dont use such a moronic quote as evidence that Sheffield did not take steroids.

Thunder Dan
07-21-2007, 12:17 PM
All I'm really saying though is that Gary Sheffield is a good baseball player, but I won't feel like I'm missing anything if I don't read his book. His story is pretty much going to be the same as all the other thousands of guys who go through baseball. Now, since he knows there are tons of people like me who could give a shit about him, he is trying to make headlines to sound more intresting than he really is. Gary is just trying to cash in more on his fans. I would like to read a Pete Rose, Jackie Robinson, or Mickey Mantle book, but a Gary Sheffield book? No way, I, along with most of American, could give 2 shits about him. Thats all I'm saying

jochhejaam
07-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Sorry, but you are a moron if you believe steroids can only be injected in the ass.
Next time dont use such a moronic quote as evidence that Sheffield did not take steroids.
Next time make an effort to keep the facts straight. Look back a few posts and you'll discover that I wasn't the one to submit that quote.

RIF

No comment on post #41?

Marklar MM
07-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Sheffield stated that he had taken both the cream and clear, although at the time he did not know what they were.

Flight3107
07-21-2007, 02:45 PM
No comment on post #41?

HGH

Flight3107
07-21-2007, 02:46 PM
although at the time he did not know what they were.

I believe that as much as I believe OJ.

Marklar MM
07-21-2007, 02:49 PM
I believe that as much as I believe OJ.

hey i don't believe him either. I am sure at one point in time he was on roids.

jochhejaam
07-21-2007, 04:23 PM
HGH
That's it? :lol You would have looked less foolish if you hadn't replied at all.

jochhejaam
07-21-2007, 04:23 PM
A refresher article regarding Sheffield and "The Cream"

Yankee says Bonds told him about BALCO
ESPN.com news services
Updated: October 5, 2004, 8:55 PM ET

Sheffield told the magazine that he thought "the cream" was cortisone-based -- he applied it to his surgically repaired knee -- and that he so little suspected its true ingredients that he openly kept it in his locker.

"I was mad. I want everybody to be on an even playing field," Sheffield told the magazine.

Bonds, through a spokesperson, declined to address Sheffield's comments in the magazine, saying only, "I wish nothing but the best for Gary. I want him to win the MVP. He deserves it."

Bob Holley, the lawyer for BALCO president Victor Conte, said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Tuesday that "BALCO provided Gary Sheffield with no illegal substances and the check BALCO received from Sheffield was for legal nutritional supplements."

Sheffield, who spends much of the article detailing what he considers to be Bonds' character flaws and explaining why he no longer wants to be a friend of Bonds', said he was shocked and angry when it was reported that BALCO's "the cream" and "the clear" were designer steroids. <---Sounds true to me mainly because Bonds was smart enough to keep what could become incriminating information to himself. Bonds had nothing to gain and much to lose by sharing more than the bare minimum about the substances he was using.>
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1895380

Based on a combination of factors, e.g., his disdain for Bonds, keeping the knee ointment openly in his locker, and the banner year he's having at the age of 38 without any illegal substances I have come to the following conclusions:
1. I find Sheffield's contention that he didn't know the substances were illegal to be entirely plausible.
2. I don't believe his usage improved his performance.

At the same time, I know there are close-minded individuals, hellbent on believing the worst about Sheffield, who are incapable of objective thought on the subject.

T Park
07-24-2007, 04:38 AM
Sheffield stated that he had taken both the cream and clear, although at the time he did not know what they were

I've got ocean front property in Arizona to sell to the people who believe that.