PDA

View Full Version : Knicks pay $45 million in luxury tax

picnroll
07-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Cheap Spurs one of only five teams to pay tax.link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2935728)

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-13-2007, 07:20 PM
$196,082 for the Spurs

damn, I'm sure Holt had to sell his 7 houses and his liver to pay that off

Buddy Holly
07-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Of course you'd come in here and grace us with that 7 year olds world of knowlegde.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Of course you'd come in here and grace us with that 7 year olds world of knowlegde.

and right on cue you follow me into every thread to comment on me

Buddy Holly
07-13-2007, 07:26 PM
and right on cue you follow me into every thread to comment on me

I think I've done that once, this thread. But you're an easy target, like the fat kid playing dodge ball.

But whatever floats your boat.

Again, loved your knowlegdable take on the matter. Now are you off to post another wildly mornic thread that is titled with fifty exclamation points and massive capped words?

picnroll
07-13-2007, 07:39 PM
$196,082 for the Spurs

damn, I'm sure Holt had to sell his 7 houses and his liver to pay that off
What about those cheap ass 25 owners who paid nothing? Where's the sheit for them?

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-13-2007, 07:45 PM
*plays follow the leader*

Buddy Holly
07-13-2007, 07:48 PM
So you have no response to the fact that Spurs are one of only 5 teams out of 30 that will pay the lux tax. Yet you and other continue to call them cheap. Kind of ironic, huh? If you don't know what that word means, look it up.

FromWayDowntown
07-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Hmmmm. The Spurs exceeded the tax threshold by about $200,000 and were able to win the title. The Knicks exceeded spent freely and had lots of ping-pong balls.

Yeah, looking at that list, spending lots and lots of money is decidedly the formula for achieving NBA success. I don't see why the Spurs won't immediately increase their payroll to the $80 million - $100 million range.

Cheap ass bastards with the 5th largest taxable payroll in the league.

Buddy Holly
07-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Not to mention they're the "worst front office team in all the entire NBA."

FromWayDowntown
07-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Not to mention they're the "worst front office team in all the entire NBA."

Well, that's obvious -- they're on the same list as the Knicks and Timberwolves!!

Findog
07-13-2007, 08:15 PM
The Knicks honestly don't suffer from paying the lux tax. In that media market, with that ownership group's deep pockets, $45 million is peanuts to them.

They've made horrible personnel decisions, but what's keeping them from contention is WHO they're overpaying, not that they're overpaying. What incentive does a team like that have to get under the cap?

jdaveah
07-13-2007, 10:31 PM
the spurs technically didnt lose money to the luxory tax since all the teams are getting a distribution of something like 1.7 million when all the money is evened out...so the spurs are actually making less money than the other teams by 200K but they arent losing anything

jaespur21
07-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Yet you and other continue to call them cheap. Kind of ironic, huh? If you don't know what that word means, look it up.

i find it ironic that picnroll was bein sarcastic with his callin the spurs cheap comment when its obvious now that they arent that bad. and u failed to see the sarcasim is funny

ploto
07-14-2007, 01:08 AM
You do realize that the Knicks still make a lot more money anyway.

jag
07-14-2007, 03:50 AM
i find it ironic that picnroll was bein sarcastic with his callin the spurs cheap comment when its obvious now that they arent that bad. and u failed to see the sarcasim is funny

I failed to find a whole lot of "sarcasm"(i think that's the word you were looking for) in picnroll's post. I'm confused at why he started this thread when just yesterday he was talking about how tired he was of the spurs FO.

I get sick of spurs fans acting like children in here when such a small thing happens.

picnroll
07-14-2007, 07:47 AM
I failed to find a whole lot of "sarcasm"(i think that's the word you were looking for) in picnroll's post. I'm confused at why he started this thread when just yesterday he was talking about how tired he was of the spurs FO.

I get sick of spurs fans acting like children in here when such a small thing happens.
Please post where I said I was tired of the Spurs' front office related to spending. I have posted the opposite many times. I don't expect them to be fiscally imprudent nor do I want them or any other team to be. If I had my way there woulod be an absolute hard cap and a completely level playing field (minus the endorsement advantage large markets have that nothing can be done about).

I am tired of the FO's drafting record since Parker. Hopefully Splitter will reverse that sorry trend.

inconvertible
07-14-2007, 09:42 AM
CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP ass ownership. fuck the fans, fuck TD.

SpursWoman
07-14-2007, 09:46 AM
the spurs technically didnt lose money to the luxory tax since all the teams are getting a distribution of something like 1.7 million when all the money is evened out...so the spurs are actually making less money than the other teams by 200K but they arent losing anything

I thought only teams that were under the cap received any of the distribution? :wtf

picnroll
07-14-2007, 10:20 AM
I thought only teams that were under the cap received any of the distribution? :wtf
Me too.

Mr. Body
07-14-2007, 10:24 AM

That changed in the last CBA.

michaelwcho
07-14-2007, 10:47 AM
It's kind of sad that winning championships isn't particularly profitable (in comparison of course)

Bruno
07-14-2007, 11:08 AM

You're right.

$55.6M were collected last year with the luxury tax.

The 25 teams under the tax get 1/30th of the money collected ($1.85M).
The 5 * 1/30th not given to teams under the tax ($9.26M) has been used by the league to help teams that lose money.