PDA

View Full Version : What if Scola turns out to be a bust in the NBA?

lefty
07-13-2007, 07:30 PM
He may be a great player in Europe, but that doesn't mean he is going to succeed in the NBA.

Remember, TP was an average PG in Europe

Nobody (except Don Nelson) believed in Nowitzki when Dallas drafted him

We have yet to see Luis in an NBA game.

So, before we go hillbillie ape crap on the Spurs front office, let's calm down, wait and see.

Maybe we'll be laughing in a few years...

lefty
07-13-2007, 07:55 PM
:madrun :madrun

FromWayDowntown
07-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Inconceivable!!

AFBlue
07-13-2007, 08:10 PM
I doubt he'll be bad enough to make the late second round pick received in return for him AND Butler justifiable.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Then pretty much everybody owes the Spurs FO an apology...

FromWayDowntown
07-13-2007, 08:23 PM
I doubt he'll be bad enough to make the late second round pick received in return for him AND Butler justifiable.

Do you really think that if the Spurs had held out for a #1 that they would have ever gotten any value from Scola?

I don't. I think that if the Spurs had refused to deal him without getting a #1 pick, there would have never been another opportunity to deal his rights and that pick would have been a complete waste. It's a calculated gamble on the Spurs' part, undoubtedly. If Scola proves to be a monster, it will have been the better course to simply let him rot away in Europe. But I'm guessing that no team has watched Scola as much as the Spurs have and I'm guessing that in the course of that evaluation time, the Spurs decided that Scola wasn't worth paying the numbers the Rockets are going to pay him. If he bests the evaluation, the Spurs will have been burned. If he proves to be a journeyman-type big, the Spurs will have at least gotten something for nothing.

The assumption that Scola is going to be a difference-making NBA player in the near term strikes me as one built almost entirely on faith.

lefty
07-13-2007, 08:32 PM
I agree ; we have won 4 titles and our front office has something to do with it.

Plus, Spurs are the best when it comes to scouting ballers playing in Europe (I read a nice article about that, maybe on the SA express-news, don't remember) ; TP and Manu were steals, and I'm pretty sure Spurs have been observing him long enough to know what they're doing.

samikeyp
07-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Then I will be a lot happier. :)

AFBlue
07-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Do you really think that if the Spurs had held out for a #1 that they would have ever gotten any value from Scola?

I don't. I think that if the Spurs had refused to deal him without getting a #1 pick, there would have never been another opportunity to deal his rights and that pick would have been a complete waste. It's a calculated gamble on the Spurs' part, undoubtedly. If Scola proves to be a monster, it will have been the better course to simply let him rot away in Europe. But I'm guessing that no team has watched Scola as much as the Spurs have and I'm guessing that in the course of that evaluation time, the Spurs decided that Scola wasn't worth paying the numbers the Rockets are going to pay him. If he bests the evaluation, the Spurs will have been burned. If he proves to be a journeyman-type big, the Spurs will have at least gotten something for nothing.

The assumption that Scola is going to be a difference-making NBA player in the near term strikes me as one built almost entirely on faith.

Spurs got what will likely be a late second round pick in exchange for Scola. If you were to look at every late second rounder ever drafted, I think you'd say that most never make an NBA roster, let alone become productive NBA players. I

f Scola exceeds those lowly expectations, I don't think it was worth it to trade him and would rather him been left overseas....simple logic.

Help A Brother Out
07-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Scola will have a productive and meaningless NBA career.

Roxsfan
07-13-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm sure the op wants him to be a bust, so he can feel better about how the spurs FO fawked this trade up. Scola will be a very good player and yes the spurs fawked this up. :dizzy

koopa
07-14-2007, 12:35 AM
if the spurs had let scola rot in europe, it would've made the spurs look bad to the public because they are keeping a young man from living his dream to play in the nba

but i don't think he'll be worth a shit, he doesn't play that good of defense, he doesn't rebound well, so i doubt he makes the spurs wish they never traded him......... i pretty much guarantee he won't live up to all the hype he has gotten over the past couple of years, he won't live up to that award he got the best player not in the nba or some shit............

the only shitty thing is we have to wait till 2009 to get a draft pick, and i wouldn't be surpised if it's a high second round draft pick cause the rockets aren't that good, tmac is never healthy for the whole season, and i think a fast paced offense is gonna kill yao, he may say he likes it, but he won't be able to keep up for long periods of time..........and their role players suck complete ass...........

Roxsfan
07-14-2007, 12:59 AM
if the spurs had let scola rot in europe, it would've made the spurs look bad to the public because they are keeping a young man from living his dream to play in the nba

but i don't think he'll be worth a shit, he doesn't play that good of defense, he doesn't rebound well, so i doubt he makes the spurs wish they never traded him......... i pretty much guarantee he won't live up to all the hype he has gotten over the past couple of years, he won't live up to that award he got the best player not in the nba or some shit............

the only shitty thing is we have to wait till 2009 to get a draft pick, and i wouldn't be surpised if it's a high second round draft pick cause the rockets aren't that good, tmac is never healthy for the whole season, and i think a fast paced offense is gonna kill yao, he may say he likes it, but he won't be able to keep up for long periods of time..........and their role players suck complete ass...........

wow, it must be true b/c you guarantee it :rolleyes .........you don't know shiit about shiit. What you are basically ranting about is what you WISH will happen so stfu. :ihit

ploto
07-14-2007, 01:05 AM
... it's not like the Rockets gave up anything for him.

thewatcher
07-14-2007, 01:07 AM
you can bet everything you want that he will be a close to a max contract player, at least. he will be the second best argentine in the nba, just behind manu.
mark my words, seriusly.

koopa
07-14-2007, 01:07 AM
wow, it must be true b/c you guarantee it :rolleyes .........you don't know shiit about shiit. What you are basically ranting about is what you WISH will happen so stfu. :ihit

naw it's ok, i will continue to say scola won't live up to the hype, if you don't like it, how about go to a rockets board and read the scola is god post there, cause i've never liked scola and now that he's a rocket it will grow to hate......... so go on with your false hope of making it past the first round.......and by the way, shit is spelled with one i.........

Roxsfan
07-14-2007, 01:11 AM
naw it's ok, i will continue to say scola won't live up to the hype, if you don't like it, how about go to a rockets board and read the scola is god post there, cause i've never liked scola and now that he's a rocket it will grow to hate......... so go on with your false hope of making it past the first round.......and by the way, shit is spelled with one i.........

no shiit dumbazz....Captain FAWKING obvious......Bet you're going to tell me I didn't spell fawking/azz correctly. I always add an I b/c on most other boards it will appear like this: ****.

back on topic, I don't need to stay at clutchcity to see his God status, I just need to read the suicide letters posted here on spurstalk.

Yeah, the roxs will never get past the first round like Tim Duncan won't get old and the Spurs won't ever suck again like the ALWAYS had pre-duncan.

koopa
07-14-2007, 01:26 AM
no shiit dumbazz....Captain FAWKING obvious......Bet you're going to tell me I didn't spell fawking/azz correctly. I always add an I b/c on most other boards it will appear like this: ****.

back on topic, I don't need to stay at clutchcity to see his God status, I just need to read the suicide letters posted here on spurstalk.

Yeah, the roxs will never get past the first round like Tim Duncan won't get old and the Spurs won't ever suck again like the ALWAYS had pre-duncan.

well you won't get a post like that from me cause i don't go crazy when the spurs trade away a 27 year old player that hasn't been in the nba and has all this hype that he probably won't live up too

and i realize the spurs will go back to just being happy to make the playoffs kinda like the rockets are but by the time duncan retires he'll have 5 or 6 rings so i'll be happy and won't mind it.............. and the spurs didn't suck pre duncan, they just couldn't get over the hump, something the rockets wouldn't have done if mj didn't go retarded and "retire" from the nba.............

and again, scola won't live up to all the hype he has, and the only impact he'll make is about 10-15 points a night, but no one will fear a pf that doesn't rebound very good and doesn't play that good of defense, so go on and cry cause i didn't say scola will be great

windwave
07-14-2007, 01:35 AM
He may be a great player in Europe, but that doesn't mean he is going to succeed in the NBA.

So, before we go hillbillie ape crap on the Spurs front office, let's calm down, wait and see.

Well, you are giving the wrong examples. You are saying players that weren't so great in Europe can become MVP(or final MVP) in NBA. That doesn't mean great player in Europe will do crap in the NBA.

A better example maybe: Sarunas Jasikevicius

MVP of the 2003 European Basketball Championship
Led Lithuania over the US in the Olympics
Won 2003-2005 Euroleague
Numerous other MVPs award in Europe

Done nothing in the NBA so far

Roxsfan
07-14-2007, 01:36 AM
well you won't get a post like that from me cause i don't go crazy when the spurs trade away a 27 year old player that hasn't been in the nba and has all this hype that he probably won't live up too

and i realize the spurs will go back to just being happy to make the playoffs kinda like the rockets are but by the time duncan retires he'll have 5 or 6 rings so i'll be happy and won't mind it.............. and the spurs didn't suck pre duncan, they just couldn't get over the hump, something the rockets wouldn't have done if mj didn't go retarded and "retire" from the nba.............

and again, scola won't live up to all the hype he has, and the only impact he'll make is about 10-15 points a night, but no one will fear a pf that doesn't rebound very good and doesn't play that good of defense, so go on and cry cause i didn't say scola will be great

that's original, by that thinking SA has only 3 rings...*99 doesn't count

You think it bothers me that we won when MJ retired? I love it. The roxs passed up on MJ in 84 and picked up hakeem-own d.Rob-the dream. Ironically, he led the roxs to back to back championships the years mj retired.....see that back there in bold, back to back.....yeah...too bad your spurs can't figure that out. What's your excuse for the Spurs not winning in 94 and 95? Last I checked, they were in the NBA back then..that's right they sucked. Rockets made it to the finals in 1981 and 1986? What did the Spurs do in the 80s and most of the 90s......nothing. Face it, the spurs were garbage b4 TD, and will be garbage after.

btw, I look forward to Roxs vs Spurs this season.....

thewatcher
07-14-2007, 01:39 AM
Well, you are giving the wrong examples. You are saying players that weren't so great in Europe can become MVP(or final MVP) in NBA. That doesn't mean great player in Europe will do crap in the NBA.

Won 2003-2005 Euroleague

but hes not argentinian :)

thewatcher
07-14-2007, 01:45 AM

seems you didnt watched scola enough.
looking foward to see you eat your words about luisito

koopa
07-14-2007, 01:46 AM
that's original, by that thinking SA has only 3 rings...*99 doesn't count

You think it bothers me that we won when MJ retired? I love it. The roxs passed up on MJ in 84 and picked up hakeem-own d.Rob-the dream. Ironically, he led the roxs to back to back championships the years mj retired.....see that back there in bold, back to back.....yeah...too bad your spurs can't figure that out. What's your excuse for the Spurs not winning in 94 and 95? Last I checked, they were in the NBA back then..that's right they sucked. Rockets made it to the finals in 1981 and 1986? What did the Spurs do in the 80s and most of the 90s......nothing. Face it, the spurs were garbage b4 TD, and will be garbage after.

back to backs are worthless if you never go back again, i rather win every other year then win twice in a row and then become a team that fights just to get into playoffs and then exits early............. and 80's don't count for me since i was born in 85 and don't remember shit from that decade, and the 90s sure we only won during the strike shortened season but 03, 05, and 07, proved that was no fluke, and it's not like a lot of other teams were winning in the 90s, that decade was owned by mj except when he retired, texas teams go the benefit of those years......... so go on saying we sucked then, cause the past don't matter much, cause right now, in your terms, the rockets suck, and the spurs are the best, and right now is all that matters........

again, no team will fear scola, i think all the fast gaurds are licking their chops now that they will have a tired yao and scola guarding the paint (i say tired yao because his body isn't made for up tempo games, he seemed tired in van gundy's shit ass offense)

windwave
07-14-2007, 01:53 AM
again, no team will fear scola, i think all the fast gaurds are licking their chops now that they will have a tired yao and scola guarding the paint (i say tired yao because his body isn't made for up tempo games, he seemed tired in van gundy's shit ass offense)

It's JVG's defense that tires Yao, not his shit ass offense.

koopa
07-14-2007, 02:07 AM
It's JVG's defense that tires Yao, not his shit ass offense.

well if that defense tired him out, i'm sure a up tempo offense will too, cause i doubt all the running he'll be doing will keep him fresh for the quarter that matters and taht's the fourth

Roxsfan
07-14-2007, 02:08 AM
back to backs are worthless if you never go back again, i rather win every other year then win twice in a row and then become a team that fights just to get into playoffs and then exits early............. and 80's don't count for me since i was born in 85 and don't remember shit from that decade, and the 90s sure we only won during the strike shortened season but 03, 05, and 07, proved that was no fluke, and it's not like a lot of other teams were winning in the 90s, that decade was owned by mj except when he retired, texas teams go the benefit of those years......... so go on saying we sucked then, cause the past don't matter much, cause right now, in your terms, the rockets suck, and the spurs are the best, and right now is all that matters........

it's not about you, its about the spurs..... You can say what you want about back to backs.......but that is pretty bad(not having that) imo. It's like, they earn it and then piss it away....at least one should be b2b.....perhaps that will come next season. Yeah, the roxs went away after the 2 wins, but that coincided with hakeems decline and ultimately being traded. What the heck do you think will happen when TD declines and retires or is traded.........yep.....irrelevancy. Enjoy it for now......

don't get me wrong...I like the spurs as a team.....its some of the fans that I can't say the same of. And yes the roxs(as all teams do) have plenty of weirdos....and no.....I'm not one of them... :pctoss

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2007, 02:11 AM
Who the fuck are the Roxs?

Fast Dunk
07-14-2007, 02:12 AM

Remember, TP was an average PG in Europe

Maybe we'll be laughing in a few years...

You can only wish...

koopa
07-14-2007, 02:12 AM
it's not about you, its about the spurs..... You can say what you want about back to backs.......but that is pretty bad(not having that) imo. It's like, they earn it and then piss it away....at least one should be b2b.....perhaps that will come next season. Yeah, the roxs went away after the 2 wins, but that coincided with hakeems decline and ultimately being traded. What the heck do you think will happen when TD declines and retires or is traded.........yep.....irrelevancy. Enjoy it for now......

don't get me wrong...I like the spurs as a team.....its some of the fans that I can't say the same of. And yes the roxs(as all teams do) have plenty of weirdos....and no.....I'm not one of them... :pctoss

damn, if you ain't weird one, then i wonder what the rest are like, cause it's pretty weird to be calling the rockets the roxs, and it's pretty weird to get up set because someone talked down on a 27 year old euro player, and it's pretty wierd that you turned this thread from a scola thread to about back to back titles

our 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> then y'alls 2

any power foward >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> scola

deal with it

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Roxs = rockets ?????????

GAY.

Fast Dunk
Who the fuck are the Roxs?

The Rockets you fucking ignorant ...

Fast Dunk
You are GAY

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2007, 02:14 AM
The Rockets you fucking ignorant ...Ignorant is an adjective motherfucker.

You fucking stupid. You're such a stupid.

Fast Dunk
07-14-2007, 02:19 AM
You are still a dumb-fuck

lefty
07-14-2007, 02:26 AM

Won 2003-2005 Euroleague

Marciou wasn't so bad ; he even had an 18 ppg season, shooting 50 %

Roxsfan
07-14-2007, 02:30 AM
well if that defense tired him out, i'm sure a up tempo offense will too, cause i doubt all the running he'll be doing will keep him fresh for the quarter that matters and taht's the fourth

I think you have Adelmans up-tempo game taken a bit too literally. By up tempo, they simply want to advance the ball up a bit more quickly and take the best available shot/play earlier in the shot clock; then rebound and create second opportunities. NOT run and gun like the golden state warriors and p.suns.

Yao can be used in the high post distributing to cutters down low, hitting his mid-range J shot and also mixing it up down low where no one can stop him. Under JVG, he was basically THE option evey play and always played with his back to the basket(this is where he got tired), his passing and face-up game were locked away. This won't happen under Adelman. Adelman adjusts to his players strengths and jvg forced his players to adapt to him.....especially with yao constantly defending the high pnr..under jvg.

Roxsfan
07-14-2007, 02:36 AM
Roxs = rockets ?????????

GAY.

it takes 1 2 *no 1

disclaimer for Alvarez the school teacher bitch.......*know

Fast Dunk
07-14-2007, 02:37 AM
Marciou wasn't so bad ; he even had an 18 ppg season, shooting 50 %

Are you serieous???

Or are you just hurt about your cheap front office ineptitud?

You can't compare Scola to Sarunas Jasikevicius???

Scola plays a different position, a postion that is required in the NBA (See your very own Duncon)

Roxsfan
07-14-2007, 02:38 AM
damn, if you ain't weird one, then i wonder what the rest are like, cause it's pretty weird to be calling the rockets the roxs, and it's pretty weird to get up set because someone talked down on a 27 year old euro player, and it's pretty wierd that you turned this thread from a scola thread to about back to back titles

our 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> then y'alls 2

any power foward >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> scola

deal with it

I don't care that he was talked down, I just want to make it clear the spurs fawked this up and you hope and pray that he is a bust.......so your fo boyfriends will look golden and will then buy you more panties or whatever the hell you want.

Roxsfan
07-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Ignorant is an adjective motherfucker.

You fucking stupid. You're such a stupid.

listen school teacher bitch........

he can say you fucking ignorant.....stopping short of saying asshole.

it looks like this you fucking ignorant......

Kori Ellis
07-14-2007, 02:53 AM
There's a troll forum for trash talk. This is a basketball forum.

Grow up or move along.

Thanks.

Bruno
07-14-2007, 02:56 AM
... it's not like the Rockets gave up anything for him.

They will give up a lot of money for him (Scola's contract + Butler's salary + cash).
If Scola is a bust (and it's possible), it would have been a bad deal for them.

Fast Dunk
07-14-2007, 03:07 AM
Scola won't be a bust but a Rockets steal

Spurs fans can only hope he is a bust to cover up for their team's biggest mistake in franchise history [/timvp, aggiehoops fan]

Typhoon
07-14-2007, 03:36 AM
A lot of assholes wishing he will be a bust, fuck them...I wish Scola the best and from the games I have seen him play... (Argentina, Tau) I doubt he will be a bust.

TDMVPDPOY
07-14-2007, 05:05 AM
his going to sign a 3yr 10mill

wtf was the spurs doing? fuk

romain.star
07-14-2007, 05:28 AM
the good thing is....... now that scola is gone maybe all the Argentinian trollers will leave Spurs talk

WalterBenitez
07-14-2007, 06:40 AM
If Luis is a good player, better than ... what to say ... NAZR ... believe me this forum will shit a lot of people :lol

WalterBenitez
07-14-2007, 06:41 AM
the good thing is....... now that scola is gone maybe all the Argentinian trollers will leave Spurs talk

I'd love to contact you to send you a present .. your address is...?
:idiot

SRJ
07-14-2007, 08:18 AM
All of this is irrelevant - it's obvious that Scola never wanted to sign here, so who cares whether he's a bust or not?

ArgSpursFan
07-14-2007, 08:54 AM
They will give up a lot of money for him (Scola's contract + Butler's salary + cash).
If Scola is a bust (and it's possible), it would have been a bad deal for them.

the only European Bust in the NBA will be Ian Mahinmi.Book it. :fro

ArgSpursFan
07-14-2007, 08:56 AM
I bet Scola would´ve singed with the spurs two weeks ago for the same money they gave Matt Bonner.

ArgSpursFan
07-14-2007, 08:58 AM
So,now my question is:
what if Scola turns out to be a 15/7 player and Splitter and Mahinmi turn out to be busts.???????
masive suicide??????

Dennis Lindsey
07-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Even if Scola does turn out to be a bust, I gave him to the Rockets for basically nothing. They win regardless unless I can get V-Span to play, which I doubt. Don't worry, we have four titles. I just wanted to help out my former team, I hope you guys don't hold this against me. I will make it up! Anyways, here is a exclusive picture of us sealing the deal with the Rockets:

http://images.chron.com/photos/2007/05/22/6701580/311xInlineGallery.jpg

ArgSpursFan
07-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Even if Scola does turn out to be a bust, I gave him to the Rockets for basically nothing. They win regardless unless I can get V-Span to play, which I doubt. Don't worry, we have four titles. I just wanted to help out my former team, I hope you guys don't hold this against me. I will make it up! Anyways, here is a exclusive picture of us sealing the deal with the Rockets:

http://images.chron.com/photos/2007/05/22/6701580/311xInlineGallery.jpg

:lmao

Roxsfan
07-14-2007, 12:20 PM
There's a troll forum for trash talk. This is a basketball forum.

Grow up or move along.

Thanks.

K, but he started it :smokin

Roxsfan
07-14-2007, 12:21 PM
A lot of assholes wishing he will be a bust, fuck them...I wish Scola the best and from the games I have seen him play... (Argentina, Tau) I doubt he will be a bust.

cool

lefty
07-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Are you serieous???

Or are you just hurt about your cheap front office ineptitud?

You can't compare Scola to Sarunas Jasikevicius???

Scola plays a different position, a postion that is required in the NBA (See your very own Duncon)

Oops, sorry, my mistake ; I was tired when I read that yesterday ; I thought u were talking about Marciulonis (who had a good NBA career)

ShoogarBear
07-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Even if Scola is a bust, it won't change the fact that the Spurs should have gotten a first round pick out of the trade.

lefty
07-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Here we go again............ :madrun

Last season, everybody was crticizing the Spurs FO for not getting Magette, saying we needed him to win a title........... guess what ? we rolled, baby.

SO what now ? no Scola, no 1st round pick....so we are screwed ?

SAGambler
07-14-2007, 02:18 PM
The only solution to just shut everyone the fuck up is for the Spurs to go out and win another title.

But I suppose that even if they win every game but 1 in the playoffs, there will be those that claim they could have swept, if only they had kept Scola.

Personally, I don't know what the huge deal is over a guy that has never played one minute in the NBA. There are a lot of could have beens in the past.

lefty
07-14-2007, 02:25 PM
The only solution to just shut everyone the fuck up is for the Spurs to go out and win another title.

But I suppose that even if they win every game but 1 in the playoffs, there will be those that claim they could have swept, if only they had kept Scola.

Personally, I don't know what the huge deal is over a guy that has never played one minute in the NBA. There are a lot of could have beens in the past.

I agree

Johnny RIngo
07-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Jasikevicius v2.0

Russ
07-14-2007, 05:29 PM
So,now my question is:
what if Scola turns out to be a 15/7 player and Splitter and Mahinmi turn out to be busts.???????
masive suicide??????
No, probably another title. Because Scola, Splitter, and Mahinimi are all way, way off to the side as far as determining how this team does.

Everyone is concerned with who players 9-12 will be on the roster. But a much bigger factor will be, for example, whether the ageless Bruce Bowen suddenly hits a wall and can't be the essential contributor to titles that he has been. But that's so much less interesting to discuss in this, the hot stove league . . .

rwb
07-14-2007, 09:32 PM
All of this is irrelevant - it's obvious that Scola never wanted to sign here, so who cares whether he's a bust or not?

I agree completely. Unless I've missed something, Scola has never seemed to want to play for the Spurs, so why fight tooth and nail over him? His ego seems a little too inflated to fit in, anyway. Maybe he wants to be the only Argentinian on the team.

SAGambler
07-15-2007, 08:39 AM
I agree completely. Unless I've missed something, Scola has never seemed to want to play for the Spurs, so why fight tooth and nail over him? His ego seems a little too inflated to fit in, anyway. Maybe he wants to be the only Argentinian on the team.

Since the Spurs have owned his rights for several seasons, and have probably watched miles and miles of tape on the guy, there has to be some reason that no one is talking about as to why they let him go.

Then you have Manu and Fabs, who have played with this guy. Don't you think if those two thought he could have contributed to another championship run, they would have convinced Pop and the FO to bring him over?

Somethings up with this guy, that no one is talking about. Maybe we'll see what it is the first matchup with H-Town.

I just don't see the FO giving him up for literally nothing, plus throwing in Butler to boot, without a good reason.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Since the Spurs have owned his rights for several seasons, and have probably watched miles and miles of tape on the guy, there has to be some reason that no one is talking about as to why they let him go.

Then you have Manu and Fabs, who have played with this guy. Don't you think if those two thought he could have contributed to another championship run, they would have convinced Pop and the FO to bring him over?

Somethings up with this guy, that no one is talking about. Maybe we'll see what it is the first matchup with H-Town.

I just don't see the FO giving him up for literally nothing, plus throwing in Butler to boot, without a good reason.

That is the gorilla in the room. Then again, maybe the Spurs found a way to accomplish two of their goals this summer (dump Butler and get something for Scola's rights) for $7 mil and didn't think twice about it.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2007, 09:08 AM
No, probably another title. Because Scola, Splitter, and Mahinimi are all way, way off to the side as far as determining how this team does.

Everyone is concerned with who players 9-12 will be on the roster. But a much bigger factor will be, for example, whether the ageless Bruce Bowen suddenly hits a wall and can't be the essential contributor to titles that he has been. But that's so much less interesting to discuss in this, the hot stove league . . .

If the trade removes the internal limitations to picking up a nice piece for an area of greater concern (ie Udoka) then it looks somewhat better.