PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Bowen

SequSpur
07-14-2007, 01:02 PM
What kind of year is this guy going to have?

He is basically last in statistics for starting small forwards in the NBA, but he leads the league in the stuff between the ears. He is smart, he destroys his opponent mentally. He is probably way underpaid, he should've won a DPOY trophy a few times...

Where does he fit in now? If he came off the bench, he wouldn't provide a spark, because he's not offensive, he can't rebound. When do you pull the plug?

AFBlue
07-14-2007, 01:07 PM
What kind of year is this guy going to have?

He is basically last in statistics for starting small forwards in the NBA, but he leads the league in the stuff between the ears. He is smart, he destroys his opponent mentally. He is probably way underpaid, he should've won a DPOY trophy a few times...

Where does he fit in now? If he came off the bench, he wouldn't provide a spark, because he's not offensive, he can't rebound. When do you pull the plug?

Well he's signed through this year, and I'm sure that is all the Spurs FO will focus on. Hopefully his age does not catch up with him in mid-season and he is able to maintain his defensive dominance. If not, Spurs might be in trouble...

IMO, he'll be okay though.

SequSpur
07-14-2007, 01:10 PM
If you're going to give nice guy money (ie Bonner) away to a player, I would've rather see Bowen get it, That dude deserves that last year 8 mill deal that sorry ass Avery got.

polandprzem
07-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Guys like Bruce dissapear in a matter of moment.
You will just know he is not able to play at the high level.
Just like AJ was finished when TP came.

This might be his last, but who knows?

Next summer will be crucial for the spurs organization. Till that time they need to find some swings.

This will be the last year of the "old" spurs.

exstatic
07-14-2007, 02:50 PM
When do you pull the plug?
July '08

greens
07-14-2007, 02:58 PM
I really believe Bruce still has at least 2-3 years of decent playing time left in San Antonio. I don't see him slowing down this season or the next. He keeps his body in amazing shape.

Yes, the age is catching up...but then again, it seems the fans expect him to slow down almost every year...

Either way, the Spurs would have a very difficult time winning without their best defender...so let's hope Bruce can play for at least a few more years...

AFBlue
07-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Guys like Bruce dissapear in a matter of moment.
You will just know he is not able to play at the high level.
Just like AJ was finished when TP came.

This might be his last, but who knows?

Next summer will be crucial for the spurs organization. Till that time they need to find some swings.

This will be the last year of the "old" spurs.

I wonder who will be available to fill that starting SF role for the Spurs next year...

With all of the current players receiving extensions, it's tough to see how the Spurs will have more than MLE money ($5M) to go after a replacement player...so who will it be?

AFBlue
07-14-2007, 03:10 PM
I really believe Bruce still has at least 2-3 years of decent playing time left in San Antonio. I don't see him slowing down this season or the next. He keeps his body in amazing shape.

Yes, the age is catching up...but then again, it seems the fans expect him to slow down almost every year...

Either way, the Spurs would have a very difficult time winning without their best defender...so let's hope Bruce can play for at least a few more years...

If Bruce extends beyond next season for anything more than the veteran minimum, it will be a mistake by the Spurs FO. This guy does one thing very well and has meant alot to this team....but the end of his career is near.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Ime Udoka!

T Park
07-14-2007, 03:12 PM
I thought

Bowen = Garbage?

Sequ wrong again?

Shocker.

Guajalote
07-14-2007, 03:14 PM
The way Pop and everybody in the FO has established the "team" mindset, I think of the Spurs as an engine. You've got the core three guys, with each other person contributing a less necessary, yet vital part of the engine. I think that Bowen anywhere else, would be less successful. But here, he thrives because each person carries a certain amount of the load and he can focus and be good a just a few things.

I see him like Kevin Willis. He's just one of those guys that keeps himself constantly in shape and never seems to slow way down, the way that a lot of players do. (Dominique Wilkins after his achilles tear, Larry Bird when his back finally went, etc.)

I think he's got at least 2-3 more very productive years ahead of him. After that, if the Spurs hang onto him and he's still in passable condition, I think the Spurs use him in a Horry-type way, training a Udoka (sp?) type or another long 3.

smrattler
07-14-2007, 03:18 PM
This isn't boxing. A guy doesn't age overnight. You see the gradual decline, especially in top tier NBA athletes that are so maticulous in caring for themselves physically like him.

He was the runner-up again in DPoY last year. He's still going. If late in the season you see him less effective, maybe this is near the end. But expect the first half of the season to look similar to this year.

polandprzem
07-14-2007, 04:02 PM
If Bruce extends beyond next season for anything more than the veteran minimum, it will be a mistake by the Spurs FO. This guy does one thing very well and has meant alot to this team....but the end of his career is near.

Well it's amazing how the spurs are not able to find the right guy on the 3 spot in this team. As we know they are looking for one for 7,8 years now and no success. So finding one this year will be difficult as hell.
Oh well they can always go for a trade, and that means we are letting one of our shooters go and that is not good.

Most ppl were hoping White will progress and be able to steal some of Bowens minutes this year with a hope to be a good replacment the year after.

Now everything smells CIA and that's quite a good sign.

SenorSpur
07-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Bruce is truly one of the most well-conditioned athletes IN THE LEAGUE. Think about it. Night after night he takes the opposition's toughest perimeter player and has to chase him all over the court and deny him the ball in the process.

This guy is tough - mentally and physically. I believe he's got at least another 2-3 productive years left. I just hope his understudy - whoever that is - can get in here and begin to absorb the wealth of knowledge and techniques he possesses.

exstatic
07-14-2007, 05:13 PM
If he weren't the fanatical workout warrior, he'd probably already have aged out of the league. He is slowing down, though. It's harder to notice because his motor runs, but he isn't as quick as even a year ago. Another thing to consider is that one more sign and symptom of aging is the jumper goes south because of your legs. If that were to happen, he becomes about worthless overnight.

Kori Ellis
07-14-2007, 05:14 PM

I'm guessing they'll offer him another 2 year contract after this season if he wants it. Bowen started in the NBA late, doesn't have to expend much energy on offense, and keeps in better shape than almost anyone. As a result, he has much less "NBA mileage" on his body than most 36 year olds. I know he's old but he was awesome in the 2007 playoffs and I think he has a few more good years left.

That being said, they need to get a good player behind him so that Bruce can start teaching him all the tricks of the trade.

timvp
07-14-2007, 05:16 PM
bruce didn't shoot the ball well last year...

...until the games counted.

timvp
07-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Bowen started in the NBA late

To compare, 28-year-old Kobe Bryant has played 10,000 more NBA minutes than Bruce Bowen.

I think Bowen's age will catch up to him pretty soon but it's tough to say exactly when since he has the NBA wear and tear of a player in his mid-20's rather than mid-30's.

greens
07-14-2007, 06:30 PM
bruce didn't shoot the ball well last year...

Clutch 3 in Game 5 of Spurs/Suns series...How about another 3 with a bonus stare at a Amare...and add that all up to Game 3 of the Finals against Cleveland when the big three was struggling at the beginning, and Bruce was keeping the Spurs in the game with his 3 point shootage.

greens
07-14-2007, 06:40 PM
but i know it must be like, hundreds of words!

:) :) :)

barbacoataco
07-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Bowen could have 2-3 good years left IMO. He never has had blazing speed, and he doesn't need it to be effective. Some players are not injury prone, and can stay in shape almost to the age of 40.
The weakness of Bowen is that stronger players can post him up. If it is possible to get Udoka, he might help in those situations.
I wonder if the Spurs will play him less minutes next year, to maybe extend his career. The past several years he has logged a lot of minutes. If someone like Udoka or White could take some of those minutes, it might help keep him fresh.

SequSpur
07-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Udoka sucks.

John McClane
07-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Udoka sucks.

Well it looks like Udoka will be a great player. All because this jackass doesn't like him.

lotr1trekkie
07-14-2007, 09:10 PM
We don't have 3 championships without him. Don't throw him under the bus just yet. I would expect his # to be retired