PDA

View Full Version : Trade Exceptions

AFBlue
07-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Since the Spurs FO is apparently adamant about not paying luxury tax to an excess, I figure the Spurs will eventually look to move one or more of their players for cash or more likely, for a trade exception.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew what teams held trade exceptions and how much those trade exceptions were for.

At present, the Spurs are not significantly over the lux tax threshold and could probably just get rid of Udrih for a trade exception....but if they decided to sign another FA, it might be Barry on the block.

The only one I know of is the Cavs $2M exception, so here's two hypotheticals....

1) Udrih for $2M exception straight out

2) Barry for $2M exception and expiring contract of Ira Newble

Anyone else have additional information on trade exceptions or any ideas for realistic trade scenarios involving cost-cutting?

SequSpur
07-14-2007, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't get rid of Barry. You know what he brings, he can contribute threes, run the offense, mix it up a little.

Why trade him? He isn't the problem. The problem is all bigs outside of Duncan, Horry and Oberto. The rest of the crew sucks ass and is probably the worst in the NBA and NBDL. With Parker, Manu, Finley and Barry in the backcourt, the Spurs are the elite of the NBA and the reason they've won again. Quit shifting the real needs onto something that isn't broken. The Spurs need one more big to lock this mother up and they traded him to houston. Now they need to figure something else out.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Milwaukee has an exception. I think around 7M.

AFBlue
07-14-2007, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't get rid of Barry. You know what he brings, he can contribute threes, run the offense, mix it up a little.

Why trade him? He isn't the problem. The problem is all bigs outside of Duncan, Horry and Oberto. The rest of the crew sucks ass and is probably the worst in the NBA and NBDL. With Parker, Manu, Finley and Barry in the backcourt, the Spurs are the elite of the NBA and the reason they've won again. Quit shifting the real needs onto something that isn't broken. The Spurs need one more big to lock this mother up and they traded him to houston. Now they need to figure something else out.

I wouldn't get rid of Barry and I don't think he's a problem. Again, if the Spurs stand pat, filling their roster out with White and Williams, they won't be "significantly" over the lux tax threshold.

But there are rumors of $3M deals for Udoka and $4M/year for Amir Johnson....maybe Barnes will enter the discussion. And the writing on the wall is that White may be on his way out, so who fills that 15th spot and for how much $$$?

If any one of those rumors are true and the Spurs are actively looking to add payroll, they will put themselves in a position to be "significantly" over the lux-tax threshold and payout MILLIONS to the league.

IF that happens, the likeliest candidate to leave, IMO, would be Barry because he's making $6M (which would clear Spurs of lux-tax concerns if it were off the books), he's in the final year of his deal (no $$ beyond this year for other teams), and he's a 3pt-shooting veteran. Don't forget, Finley was clearly ahead of him in the rotation (minutes-wise) by the end of the season.

Bottom Line: I'm not saying it's my preference to trade Barry, but if the Spurs add payroll through another player (especially if that player is a wing), Barry would be the likeliest candidate to be shipped out.

Leetonidas
07-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I personally think the Spurs should get rid of Beno to the Cavs, and then use Barry as a PG to backup Tony. It would work perfectly. The guy has tremendous court vision and is one hell of a slick passer.

AFBlue
07-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Milwaukee has an exception. I think around 7M.

Thanks!

And Milwakee might need help in their backcourt with Boykins opting out of his deal.

SequSpur
07-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Udoka is 28, 6 5 and really hasn't done shit in the nba. He started for a losing team. Again, Scola was the better option.

2pac
07-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Golden State has a 9mm exception from the JRich deal.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Sonics have a 9.5 exception from the Lewis deal.

ShoogarBear
Wait, I thought you couldn't trade the trade exceptions.

AFBlue
Udoka is 28, 6 5 and really hasn't done shit in the nba. He started for a losing team. Again, Scola was the better option.

Francisco Elson was a third-string center on a fringe-playoff Denver Nugget team...

That didn't stop the Spurs from giving him $3M/yr and essentially choosing him over Butler as the salary-filler for the Scola trade.

Bottom Line: Sometimes the Spurs FO does things that make absolutely no sense to you, me, or anyone.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Does anyone know if Milwaukee's exception was affected in any way with the Mo Williams resiging?

AFBlue
07-14-2007, 03:28 PM

That's what they're for Shoog....to use them to acquire a player via trade without giving up a player in return.

Darkwaters
07-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Anyone else have additional information on trade exceptions or any ideas for realistic trade scenarios involving cost-cutting?

Golden State obviously has that 10M exception from the Jason Richardson trade. But I'm not sure if they'd simply hold that for a bigger player than the likes of Barry or Beno.

El_Mago
07-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Trade exceptions can not be used to sign players.

Can they be broken up in half or into pieces though?

AFBlue
07-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Golden State obviously has that 10M exception from the Jason Richardson trade. But I'm not sure if they'd simply hold that for a bigger player than the likes of Barry or Beno.

I'm sure they're thinking KG....

Plus with GS's exception as well as the Sonics' exception, it would require the Spurs to give up more than Barry. Who else would the Spurs be willing to part with to make the deal work?

AFBlue
07-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Trade exceptions can not be used to sign players.

Can they be broken up in half or into pieces though?

IIRC, a trade exception has to be used in full.

Darkwaters
07-14-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm sure they're thinking KG....

Plus with GS's exception as well as the Sonics' exception, it would require the Spurs to give up more than Barry. Who else would the Spurs be willing to part with to make the deal work?

I think anybody but the big 3 could be traded in the right deal for the right player. But its hard to imagine somebody offering us the "right player" for our scraps. We're the team that gives up Scola and Butler for a 2nd rounder...not the other way around. :pctoss

Bruno
07-14-2007, 03:40 PM
There are 3 ways to dump a contract :

1) Trade the player for a trade exception.
One thing to know is that you can't package a player with a trade exception to get a player with a bigger salary than teh TE. Your second trade is illegal.
You can use the TE only for a player with a slary lower than the TE+$100K.

Trade exceptions big enough for Udrih :
CLE, $2,100,000
DAL, $2,600,000
DEN, $2,900,000
GS, $2,100,000
IND, $4,000,000
NJ, $3,600,000
PHO, $2,900,000

Trade exceptions big enough for Barry :
SEA, $9,350,000
GS, $10,000,000

2) Trade the player to a team under the cap :
Charlotte and Milwaukee could still be under the cap.

3) Trade the player for a player with a non guaranteed contract.
You have the list here :
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2654216

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Denver and Indiana can use Beno.

timvp
07-14-2007, 03:43 PM

One thing to know is that you can't package a player with a trade exception to get a player with a bigger salary than teh TE. Your second trade is illegal.

CLE, $2,100,000
DAL, $2,600,000
DEN, $2,900,000
GS, $2,100,000
IND, $4,000,000
NJ, $3,600,000
PHO, $2,900,000

SEA, $9,350,000
GS, $10,000,000

You have the list here :

4) Trade a player for a player who is too scared to play in the NBA and wants to stay in Greece and will release the team from his contract.

Bruno
07-14-2007, 03:44 PM
4) Trade a player for a player who is too scared to play in the NBA and wants to stay in Greece and will release the team from his contract.

:lol

Bruno
07-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Denver and Indiana can use Beno.

Denver is over the Luxury Tax. I'm not sure they are ready to spend $3.5M for udrih while they ahve signed Atkins a week ago.
Indiana is maybe the less unlikely destination for Udrih.

ShoogarBear
07-14-2007, 03:47 PM
I was getting confused about that part where it can't be in a package deal.

4) Trade a player for a player who is too scared to play in the NBA and wants to stay in Greece and will release the team from his contract.But but, weren't all the Scola supporters talking about how Euroleague ~ NBA?

Bruno
07-14-2007, 03:50 PM
I was getting confused about that part where it can't be in a package deal.

When a team has a $5M trade exception, the team can us it 'of a part of it) to get a player paid less than $5.1M. You can't add the trade exception with a $5M player to get a $10M player.

Steve-O-Matic
07-14-2007, 03:53 PM
If a team trades away players with a higher combined salary than those they acquire in return (we'll call this initial deal "Trade #1"), they receive what is called a Traded Player Exception, also known colloquially as a "Trade Exception". Teams with a trade exception have up to a year in which they can acquire more salary in another trade (Trade #2) than they send away, as long as the gulf in salaries for Trade #2 is less than or equal to the difference in salaries for Trade #1. This circumvents the rule which normally does not allow teams over the salary cap to acquire net additional salary in trades. This exception is particularly useful when teams trade draft picks straight-up for players; since draft picks have no salary value, often the only way to get salaries to match is to use a trade exception, which allows trades to be made despite unbalanced salaries.

AFBlue
07-14-2007, 04:36 PM

CLE, $2,100,000
DAL, $2,600,000
DEN, $2,900,000
GS, $2,100,000
IND, $4,000,000
NJ, $3,600,000
PHO, $2,900,000

SEA, $9,350,000
GS, $10,000,000

You have the list here :

Thanks for the info...

exstatic
07-14-2007, 04:46 PM
You can't. What would happen would be that we would create our own exception of $6M by moving Barry with nothing in return. It's good for one year.

exstatic
07-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Does anyone know if this exception goes away like the standard ones when you drop far enough below the cap figure, or does it stay in place for a year, regardless?

Edit: never mind. just read stev-o-matic's post.

pad300
07-14-2007, 09:20 PM

CLE, $2,100,000
DAL, $2,600,000
DEN, $2,900,000
GS, $2,100,000
IND, $4,000,000
NJ, $3,600,000
PHO, $2,900,000

SEA, $9,350,000
GS, $10,000,000

You have the list here :

Hey Bruno, where did you get your list of Trade Exceptions? Do you keep your own, or is it on the web somewhere?