PDA

View Full Version : Question about contacts

LuvBones
07-14-2007, 04:35 PM
For anyone that wears the disposable contacts, have you ever opened up a new batch and have them sitting in the case with solution for a couple of weeks? I thought I had lost my contacts earlier so I opened up a new pair and then found the ones I was using. I hate wasting a pair when they cost like $45 for 3 pairs. http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smibang.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smibang.gif

johnsmith
07-14-2007, 04:36 PM
I've been wearing a years supply of disposable's for the last 4 years.

I'm almost positive that's not good for my eyes.

E20
07-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Luvbones w/Glasses >> Luvbones w/o Glasses

johnsmith
07-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Luvbones w/Glasses >> Luvbones w/o Glasses

Great, now the comparison photo's will be posted by Luvbones of her wearing glasses and not wearing glasses.

She'll be shocked at the response.

CuckingFunt
07-14-2007, 04:38 PM
I've never worn contacts, I like my glasses better. Probably not advisable to take too many risks with something you're going to be putting on your eyeball, though.

LuvBones
07-14-2007, 04:40 PM

I'm almost positive that's not good for my eyes.:wow Uhh no I don't think that's good. They haven't dissolved in your eyes yet??

LuvBones
07-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Great, now the comparison photo's will be posted by Luvbones of her wearing glasses and not wearing glasses. Sorry I don't own a pair of glasses.

missmyzte
07-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Don't let them go to waste. They don't start to spoil when you break the seal, it has only to do with the time they are actually in your eyes.

phyzik
07-14-2007, 05:04 PM

Its not, trust me, first hand experience.

I did that, after a while my eyes constantly felt dry and they eventually where always red (well, for like a week). I became extremely sensative to light and could hardly drive in the daylight because it was so hard to keep my eyes open (with sunglasses it was fine). I eventually went to optomostrist to get a new prescription for glasses.... they couldnt test my eyes because they where so enflamed... I had to pay $80.00 for some really tiny bottle of Doctor prescribed eyedrops and use that for a week with special contacts that costs even more just so they could get my eye prescription... and even then they couldnt get a totally accurate reading.

The problem is deposits build up on the contacts regardless of how well you clean them... you keep using them and your eyes WILL get infected.

lesson learned.

LuvBones
07-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Don't let them go to waste. They don't start to spoil when you break the seal, it has only to do with the time they are actually in your eyes.http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smielephant.gif good I was worrying they would dry up if I don't use them for a while. Thanks!

Shelly
07-14-2007, 07:23 PM
sheyitt, I sleep in mine all the time. My eye doc know this. I've slept in mine since I started wearing diposables 20 years ago.

Right now I'm wearing http://www.jnjvision.com/acuvue_oasys.htm They are the most comfortable contacts I've ever worn. However, I've only worn Acuvue lenses.

Melmart1
07-14-2007, 07:28 PM
sheyitt, I sleep in mine all the time. My eye doc know this. I've slept in mine since I started wearing diposables 20 years ago.

Right now I'm wearing http://www.jnjvision.com/acuvue_oasys.htm They are the most comfortable contacts I've ever worn. However, I've only worn Acuvue lenses.
Yeah, I sleep in mine constantly for probably almost a decade now with no issues (knock on wood). I do use eyedrops and stuff but I am sure I don't take them out as often as I should.

Shelly
07-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I sleep in mine constantly for probably almost a decade now with no issues (knock on wood). I do use eyedrops and stuff but I am sure I don't take them out as often as I should.

Same here. I think that I'm just so used to wearing them, that I don't even realize they're in my eyes. I try to to take them out more in the winter when it's less humid out cuz my eyes tend to be dryer.

SpursWoman
07-14-2007, 08:24 PM
I've always wondered how Chris isn't blind yet ... I think he wears his disposables for months at a time at the very least.

Shelly
07-14-2007, 09:15 PM
:lol

When mine start getting blurry, I change them. And my new ones are about $75 for two boxes.

I can tell how long I extend them...my yearly appointment gets later and later every year.

Melmart1
07-14-2007, 09:16 PM
75 for two boxes? Holy shit! I get about six boxes for 90 bucks, I think.

Sunshine
07-14-2007, 09:26 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only stupid one who does that. I've been wearing the same pair since September of 2006.

TheSanityAnnex
07-14-2007, 09:35 PM
I have ones that are supposed to be slept in. I can wear them for a month straight. They are nice.

LuvBones
07-14-2007, 10:09 PM
I have ones that are supposed to be slept in. I can wear them for a month straight. They are nice.What are they called?

Phil Hellmuth
07-14-2007, 10:16 PM
i hope to God I don't develop any eye diseases, I tend to sleep in my contacts a lot. I have now been not risking it anymore. enough is enough,

TheSanityAnnex
07-14-2007, 10:19 PM
What are they called?Focus Night & Day.

I stopped wearing my old contacts because they were uncomfortable and I had to change them daily. I can't even feel these newer ones and it is really nice to not have to change them daily. No problems with them and I've had them for over two years.

u2sarajevo
07-14-2007, 10:24 PM
I used to sleep in my disposable contacts.

Then one day it was like my body or eyes had enough and I woke up in the middle of the night and my eyes were burning. They felt like they were on fire. I took the contacts out and put them in solution for the first time in who knows how long.

I didn't put them back in for 2 days. And ever since I am by the book (every 2 weeks change the contacts, take them out every night).

Just as an aside to this whole thing.... if you get bothered by your contacts after wearing them a week, start using aosept disinfectant (also marketed as clear care) and the aosept lens cup. Every time you put your contacts in after disinfected in that stuff it's like they are brand frickin' new.

Shelly
07-14-2007, 10:26 PM
75 for two boxes? Holy shit! I get about six boxes for 90 bucks, I think.

I switched from Acuvue 2 which $40 something for two boxes to Acuvue Oasys, which are more obviously. But they are oh so comfy.

Last year my eye doc gave me a trial pair of a different brand which the name escapes me. I think they were ones that you where for a month, but I couldn't stand them. I kept feeling like I constantly had to blink to clear them. Drove me totally up the wall.

I just read my own link and mine are approved to wear up to 6 nights in a row...ha! I'll never take them out! :lol

LuvBones
07-14-2007, 10:33 PM
I really need to switch to these contacts you can sleep in! When I'm not home it's such a hassle remembering to bring a case and solution with me. I've thrown so many pairs away just because I won't leave them in my eyes when I sleep.

leemajors
07-14-2007, 10:40 PM

my brother double times his 24 hour ones wearing them only 8-12 hours per day. can't stand the things myself, but then my eyes are irritated easily.

TheSanityAnnex
07-14-2007, 11:03 PM
I really need to switch to these contacts you can sleep in! When I'm not home it's such a hassle remembering to bring a case and solution with me. I've thrown so many pairs away just because I won't leave them in my eyes when I sleep.:tu

I used to not wear them because I'd get so pissed at having to put them in every morning. Now I don't worry about it and can actually read road signs on the freeway.

E20
07-14-2007, 11:17 PM
So for anybody that wears contacts, have you ever thought you were wearing contacts, but you weren't and you tried to take them out and all you did was poke your eyeball until you realized you didn't have any contacts on?

Yeah, and that is a long question. :lol

LuvBones
07-15-2007, 03:21 AM
So for anybody that wears contacts, have you ever thought you were wearing contacts, but you weren't and you tried to take them out and all you did was poke your eyeball until you realized you didn't have any contacts on?

Yeah, and that is a long question. :lolI've done it before.. my eye was all red before I realized it was already out. and another time I put two contacts in the same eye. It was too early in the morning. :lol

ShoogarBear
07-15-2007, 06:57 AM
My advice: don't screw around with your eyes. Ever. It only takes one mistake, and some eye infections last your lifetime.

SAtoDallas
07-16-2007, 02:03 PM
I use O2 Optix made by Ciba Vision, according to my doc they allow twice as much oxygen to penetrate(so you can sleep in them) to get to the eye which obviously is better for the eye. You wear them for a month then throw 'em away and put on a new pair. I think I pay something like 110.00 for a year supply. No matter what type you have though you should always remove them from your eye for a period of time (like maybe one full day a week or so) to allow your eye to breathe. It's hard to do that though I don't always do it but it is best. To answer the question if you have them in solution they'll be fine.

to21
07-16-2007, 06:24 PM
My advice: don't screw around with your eyes. Ever. It only takes one mistake, and some eye infections last your lifetime.

As a corneal transplant patient and as a person who has got 4 infections from wearing contacts too long.........I agree 100 %.

Take care of your eyes people. If you been lucky and have never gotten sick, then I hope you never do.

loveThe23
07-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Focus Night & Day.

I stopped wearing my old contacts because they were uncomfortable and I had to change them daily. I can't even feel these newer ones and it is really nice to not have to change them daily. No problems with them and I've had them for over two years.

Wow, those kind of contacts actually exisit? thats awesome.. its a real bitch taking them out in the night, and especially now when school starts, putting them in every morning and worrying if theyre gonna bother you... ugh, an even bigger bitch. i wish my doctor actually tells me about this stuff :pctoss

are they risky in any way for your eyes? thanks!!

DarkReign
07-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Two words.

Lasik Surgery.

LuvBones
07-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Two words.

Lasik Surgery.:tu Definitely what I'm going to do in '08.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-17-2007, 12:15 PM
I have fairly sensitive eyes and contacts just weren't getting the job done so I opted for lasik last fall. I love it. I purchased a lifetime warranty so I can get re-zapped for free if my vision ever falls below 20-20.

Avitus1
07-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Yea I wear contacts for much longer then they should be worn. You'll be fine.