PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs WILL repeat: I guarantee it

SpursDynasty
07-14-2007, 10:57 PM
People could talk all day about how the Spurs haven't done well in the draft since getting Duncan. What's more important, doing well drafting new guys who can't hang in the NBA, or BEING THE WINNINGNEST TEAM IN ALL OF PRO SPORTS IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, ALONG WITH 4 CHAMPIONSHIPS! That is the way it's done, you have your key cornerstone player, and you build around him. Have we had another Duncan-level player since getting Duncan in 97? No. That's why I think Spurs Dynasty 21 is an idiot. I have never seen so much fucking complaining AFTER WE JUST WON THE DAMN CHAMPIONSHIP.

To say the Spurs without Duncan are dogshit? NO SHIT. Why the hell do you think we only won 20 games or so in 1996-1997 season? We didn't have our leader. Why do you think we didn't repeat in 2000? Duncan was out. That's like saying the Lakers are shit without Kobe, or the Mavs are shit without Dirk (Though they are close to being shit WITH Dirk).

And since when is Duncan surrounded with bums? You have 2 All-Stars in Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. You have a CONSISTENTLY first-rate defensive stopper in Bruce Bowen who makes "young and athletic and marketable" players like Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James look like 12th grade high school players. Oh, not to mention what he did to the "young and athletic and exciting" Phoenix Suns. He made them throw up a bunch a bricks.

To say anyone rides Duncan coattails to a championship is to also say that Phil Jackson rode Jordan, Shaq, and Kobe's coattails to 9 championships.

There is no such thing as a "fluke" pick. Poppovich turns players chosen late in the draft into top-notch NBA players (Example: The 28th overall pick in the 2001 draft recently became the Finals MVP). I guess that is a fluke too, right? One thing that sets the Spurs apart from other organizations is they want players with good attitudes. Sounds cheesy, but Stephen Jackson doesn't fit that description. Jermaine O'Neal chose not to come here. What has he done in Indiana? Sat on his fat ass while collecting no trophys or rings. And darn, we didn't get Leandro Barbosa! Shit, we can't win without him! I don't think anyone here takes Duncan for granted. Maybe you do.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-14-2007, 10:58 PM
We need Tony to make another guarantee like he did last year.

barbacoataco
07-14-2007, 11:39 PM
I pretty much agree with the original post.

coachmac87
07-14-2007, 11:48 PM
thats a great post...cant say it much better...people need to realize with a healthy tim duncan the spurs will be in contention every year...that is an absoulute fact!! people need to realize tony parker has arrived..and thats an addition because he became a premier player during these playoffs...and manu is manu dont need to say much more and as long as the core is mediocore the spurs will be absolutley fine

Roxsfan
07-14-2007, 11:48 PM
how can you guarantee something you have NO control over :wtf

Switchman
07-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Spurs lucked out HUGE this past season with the mavs getting knocked out, and the PHX suns series turning into a fucking circus.

This year will prove they will NEED to get younger and more athletic.

Sense
07-15-2007, 12:37 AM
How can we win an other championship? Isn't Duncan retiring because Scola and Butler are gone??!!! :dramaquee

SRJ
07-15-2007, 02:09 AM
Spurs lucked out HUGE this past season with the mavs getting knocked out, and the PHX suns series turning into a fucking circus.

I'll admit that Dallas would have been the toughest team for us to face, but your explanation of the Phoenix series is asinine. Even with the suspensions, they could have won game five; and if they were that good, they would have won game six when they had a full bench and the Spurs were missing Robert Horry.

If the Spurs-Suns had gone seven games with some referee bullshit going against Phoenix in the closing two minutes, I might agree with you. Phoenix had some chances to win games one, five, and six, but the Spurs outclassed them. The "circus atmosphere" didn't beat the Suns, the Spurs did.

EjaculateMeElmo
07-15-2007, 02:47 AM
I sure as hell hope we repeat!!
Then we can shut up those people who don't consider the spurs a dynasty!

spurscenter
07-15-2007, 02:50 AM
I GUARANTEE THAT DALLAS WILL LOSE IN PLAYOFFS

I GUARANTEE THAT SCOLA WILL BE 1st TEAM ROOKIE of YEAR

EjaculateMeElmo
07-15-2007, 02:53 AM
I GUARANTEE THAT DALLAS WILL LOSE IN PLAYOFFS

I GUARANTEE THAT SCOLA WILL BE 1st TEAM ROOKIE of YEAR

I 2nd that.

ShoogarBear
07-15-2007, 07:01 AM
how can you guarantee something you have NO control over :wtfI guarantee somebody else will post after I do.

Budkin
07-15-2007, 11:06 AM
We're due for a repeat so I'll go along with it.

ShoogarBear
07-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Q.E.D.

:smokin

SpursDynasty
07-15-2007, 12:56 PM

Blah blah blah.

EVERYONE was saying the same shit after the 2006 Mavs series.

NEWS ALERT: The Spurs won the 2007 championship! In fact, there's a DVD coming out this Tuesday to show us that they WON.

I have a question for everyone: What does the Mavs first round loss mean to you? Because all I hear is "Ah its ok, they just ran into a bad matchup". DUH. Any team that loses "just ran into a bad matchup". There's no excuse for losing. As for Phoenix: SA won the regular season series 2-1, had a better Western Conf. record than Phoenix, and won 3 out of the 5 in where there were no suspensions. PUT PHOENIX AND DALLAS TO REST, they didn't win it.

Seriously, you guys are acting like the Spurs LOST in the playoffs. Hell, SA could win the next 5 championships and you guys would be talking about how they need to get younger, more athletic, and Scola.

Somehow I have a feeling the trophy doesn't mean shit to the sports world unless Dallas or Phoenix wins it.

cherylsteele
07-15-2007, 12:59 PM
how can you guarantee something you have NO control over :wtf
How can you question something you have no control over?

cherylsteele
07-15-2007, 01:01 PM

There is an old adage...
"sometimes it is better to be lucky than good."

Roxsfan
07-15-2007, 01:34 PM
How can you question something you have no control over?

You can question anything from the inside (of an organization) from the outside too...debate it, discuss it etc.....just like the sports media do......however they (we) do not have any control over the outcome......unless you overplay the factor of the home crowd noise.

A guarantee, however, is a promise or assurance of a certain outcome and that my friend the op has NO control over as an outsider.

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

cherylsteele
07-15-2007, 01:48 PM
You can question anything from the inside (of an organization) from the outside too...debate it, discuss it etc.....just like the sports media do......however they (we) do not have any control over the outcome......unless you overplay the factor of the home crowd noise.

A guarantee, however, is a promise or assurance of a certain outcome and that my friend the op has NO control over as an outsider.

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes
He is just a fan making that statement who has no more bearing on the outcome of a season than either you or I do.

Don't take things so literally.

Roxsfan
07-15-2007, 02:25 PM
He is just a fan making that statement who has no more bearing on the outcome of a season than either you or I do.

Don't take things so literally.
k :pctoss

J.T.
07-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Usually I think SpursDynasty's posts are just bullshit and fun flame bait, but this one I actually agree with. I think since the championship rotation is coming back, we will play as we did from the end of the rodeo trip to the end of the season for the whole year. That's one tremendous upside to the team sticking together and coming back with the goal of repeating.

Of course there is the chance of injury like in the 06 playoffs when we had Duncan playing with PF and Parker playing on two bruised legs (Ginobili too I believe). But playing such a deep rotation means our guys won't get too many minutes each night. Some nights more than others, but in general they still won't be playing a short rotation huge minutes, like the Phoenix Suns do.

I think Pop said it best last year after we lost to the Mavs. When you lose, people will find excuses for why we lost, hence everyone saying we need to get younger NOW and so forth. When you win, obviously your brand of basketball worked and shouldn't come under much scrutiny.

In truth the Spurs are getting older and need to look to a Bowen-less future. But I like that we have Bonner in the rotation and he will be a good heir to Horry's role on the team. Although Oberto isn't "young" by NBA standards, he will still be a stud on this team if he keeps up the high level he played at in the playoffs.

I like the team that we have now, minus Beno and Elson, but Elson has room for improvement. Hopefully losing the starting position and watching Oberto flourish will give him some motivation to play better. I doubt he'll get to be the starter again, but he can play at a level where he makes the most of his bench minutes.

The Spurs do need to be looking to get youth at the swing positions soon. Our playoff rivals are getting younger, but the only things that stopped us from having 5 titles in 5 years are Derek Fisher and the Manu foul in 06. Our success has been phenomenal, and I think 2007-08 will be our best shot at a repeat season of the four championship years.

OneTeamOneGoal
07-15-2007, 08:40 PM
I really hope we repeat. Bring on dem haters! haha...

Switchman
07-15-2007, 09:00 PM
I'll admit that Dallas would have been the toughest team for us to face, but your explanation of the Phoenix series is asinine. Even with the suspensions, they could have won game five; and if they were that good, they would have won game six when they had a full bench and the Spurs were missing Robert Horry.

If the Spurs-Suns had gone seven games with some referee bullshit going against Phoenix in the closing two minutes, I might agree with you. Phoenix had some chances to win games one, five, and six, but the Spurs outclassed them. The "circus atmosphere" didn't beat the Suns, the Spurs did.

Yeah I just don't feel that this past season was really a good test to see how good the Spurs really were.

Switchman
07-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Blah blah blah.

EVERYONE was saying the same shit after the 2006 Mavs series.

NEWS ALERT: The Spurs won the 2007 championship! In fact, there's a DVD coming out this Tuesday to show us that they WON.

I have a question for everyone: What does the Mavs first round loss mean to you? Because all I hear is "Ah its ok, they just ran into a bad matchup". DUH. Any team that loses "just ran into a bad matchup". There's no excuse for losing. As for Phoenix: SA won the regular season series 2-1, had a better Western Conf. record than Phoenix, and won 3 out of the 5 in where there were no suspensions. PUT PHOENIX AND DALLAS TO REST, they didn't win it.

Seriously, you guys are acting like the Spurs LOST in the playoffs. Hell, SA could win the next 5 championships and you guys would be talking about how they need to get younger, more athletic, and Scola.

Somehow I have a feeling the trophy doesn't mean shit to the sports world unless Dallas or Phoenix wins it.

I love the Spurs. I'm just keeping it real. They lucked out.

Sweetey
07-15-2007, 09:30 PM
REPEAT WE WILL !!!

BOOK IT !!

Supreme_Being
07-15-2007, 09:33 PM
REPEAT WE WILL !!!

BOOK IT !!

+1

coachmac87
07-15-2007, 11:22 PM

ya just like the year before...hmmm..oh well fuck it ill take it we won the damn ship

Switchman
07-15-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm just saying, the Spurs were not tested to their max. Because of this, we don't know how good they really were/are.

O-Factor
07-16-2007, 12:02 AM

Luck had nothing to do with it when you 16-4 in the playoffs and never come close to losing a series...

Supreme_Being
07-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Face it, you scum headed sons of a gun: The Spurs were just the better team.

LEONARD
07-16-2007, 12:19 PM
*bookmarked*

J.T.
07-16-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm just saying, the Spurs were not tested to their max. Because of this, we don't know how good they really were/are.

The way I like to look at it is, the Spurs were so good last season that they didn't need to play at their max. Best example is Ginobili's erratic playoff scoring. If you had told me Manu would only score three points in an NBA Finals game and we still won, I would've called bluff. Same with Tony getting Finals MVP. This rotation is old, but we've got solid vets, great leadership and coaching staff, and Tim Duncan. What reason is there to think we won't repeat? Like I said, I'm looking forward to seeing this roster defend a championship. If we play the way we did in the playoffs all season long...

Dallas getting knocked out early was fortunate, but I still think we would've beat them because at that point, we were playing much better basketball than they were. The Mavs cause matchup problems with us. That's the big issue. But I just don't see any team stopping the Spurs from April thru June last season. We were on fire. It would have likely been another epic seven game series, and it would have been cool to return the favor of eliminating them on their home court, but nevertheless I think the Spurs were playing too good and wanted it more.

The difference between this year's playoffs and last year's was that the whole team wanted it. Finley, Vaughn, Oberto, Bonner and Elson wanted their first ring. The rest of the guys wanted to take back what was theirs. Last year against the Mavs, it looked to me like Tim was the only guy who played like he wanted it throughout all seven games. Maybe those memories of last season are a little fuzzy because of all the new, sweeter memories of another championship, but I don't really remember any other Spur playing his heart out every night of that series the way Duncan did. Playing hurt no less. That's the heart of a champion.

I've got a good feeling about next year. We'll finally shed the even year curse and repeat.