PDA

View Full Version : The difference between the top GM's and fans

SMSpur
07-16-2007, 09:39 AM
If you read what top GM's say when they talk about trades and things other teams are doing, you can see the difference between how the top GM's in ANY sport think and the way that the fans think. The top GM's are not concerned about what other teams are doing, or how a trade might help another team, they are instead concerned about one thing and one thing only what they can do to help THEIR team. If in the process of helping their team they also help another team, no matter who it may be (including teams within their own division) so be it. They have no control over what others and thus do not worry about other teams. They worry about what they can control, and that is their team.

Fans worry about their division Rival and trying to keep them from getting better and worry about not helping them, and in the process are willing to keep from helping their own team.

Spurminator
07-16-2007, 09:45 AM
That's not true at all. GM's are often hesitant to trade within the division or with teams they see as viable competition to them.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2007, 09:48 AM
If you read what top GM's say when they talk about trades and things other teams are doing, you can see the difference between how the top GM's in ANY sport think and the way that the fans think. The top GM's are not concerned about what other teams are doing, or how a trade might help another team, they are instead concerned about one thing and one thing only what they can do to help THEIR team. If in the process of helping their team they also help another team, no matter who it may be (including teams within their own division) so be it. They have no control over what others and thus do not worry about other teams. They worry about what they can control, and that is their team.

Fans worry about their division Rival and trying to keep them from getting better and worry about not helping them, and in the process are willing to keep from helping their own team.

It's called public relations.

Oh wait, you were expecting for a GM of a team to say 'yeah, they really had us over a barrel on this one, we got screwed', or 'well I thought it was a good trade but I've had six GMs call me since I made it and tell me they would have offered more than that, I should have called them first'.

Show me the GM that would say something like that and I'll show you a GM getting a pink slip at the end of the day.

Further, it's fairly obvious that the suck trade the Spurs did with Houston last week was about saving Holt Cat 6 million, not about making our team on the court better.

Weak thread.

nkdlunch
07-16-2007, 09:50 AM
yup, not only that. Some GMs make bigger mistakes than an average fan would. See New York Knicks

AFBlue
07-16-2007, 10:11 AM
GMs have to satisfy the egos of the owners, coaches, and players all at once.

In this trade...

Buford satisfied the owner by getting $$$ back, satisfied the coach by ditching a player that rubbed him the wrong way (Butler), and satisfied the players by keeping a championship team intact.

I, as a fan, just want to see the Spurs put the best product out there on the court and I don't care about those other things....especially luxury tax consideration.

I think Butler and Scola will both have more productive careers than Elson, and so I would rather have had Elson included in any deal.

I also think I would've included a pick to make the Maggette for Barry/Udrih deal in a heartbeat....or really whatever it took within reason to get the deal done.

But that's just me...the fan.

SAGambler
07-16-2007, 12:15 PM
I just don't buy the "well, it saved Holt millions" argument.

If they go out and sign another player (which they probably will) that money is gone again.

As in any business you try to assemble the best product (team ) possible for the least amount that is required.

Look at all the money the Knicks have spent and what it has gotten them.

Overzealousness in spending doesn't necessarily mean you will deliver a better product.

Solid D
07-16-2007, 12:34 PM

Since you said "any sport", I would remind you of George Steinbrenner/Brian Cashman. I'm sure Brian has at least attempted to do a wiretap on the Red Sox.
Of course, the Yankees aren't restricted by the league on spending like NBA teams are.

Bruno
07-16-2007, 12:45 PM
With the new seeding rule, the divison rival is more a fan thing than a reality. What count in nba are conferences, not divisions.

timvp
07-16-2007, 02:16 PM

Uh, did you miss the part where Ludden reported that the Spurs tried to send Scola to the East but had to settle sending him up the road?

Way to stay informed :tu