PDA

View Full Version : Covers Mag and Bruce Bowen

pad300
07-16-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm not quite sure what Covers Magazine is, but they have a Bruce Bowen category, with all kinds of articles about what Bruce Bowen is doing/has done:

http://blog.coversmagazine.com/categories/Bruce%20Bowen.aspx

SKINNYPIMP210
07-16-2007, 04:46 PM
That's Weird That They Have A Bruce Bowen Category, But Hey, Props To Them!

spursfaninla
07-16-2007, 05:53 PM
I guess the photographer on staff there is a spurs fan. Because Bruce is clearly not a Cali celeb, which they claim is their focus.

Kori Ellis
07-16-2007, 06:03 PM
I guess the photographer on staff there is a spurs fan. Because Bruce is clearly not a Cali celeb, which they claim is their focus.

He's a Fresno Cali celeb :)

ShoogarBear
07-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Can you imagine how hard it must be to get your feet under a 6-year old's jumper?

Bruce is da man!

duncan228
07-17-2007, 04:30 PM
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but there is a blog about Duncan in this site too.
It was written the night we beat the Suns in game 6.
I thought it was worth a read.

http://blog.coversmagazine.com/search.aspx?q=tim%20duncan

SPURS WIN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP

There are two types of people in this world: Those that know TIM DUNCAN is the best player in basketball. And those that don't know basketball.

Case in point of Duncan's dominance was proven again Friday night when Number 21 showed for the 10th straight year that he is THE NEXT JORDAN and that THE SPURS are the closest thing to the '90s BULLS as San Antonio blew out Phoenix in Game 6 of the NBA Western Conference semi-finals in a series that everybody knows was the true 2007 NBA FINALS.

Yeah, I know the SPURS gotta beat the JAZZ the next coupla weeks, and then they gotta dispose of the PISTONS (or CAVS) in June. But San Antonio's 4-2 and 114-106 dismantling of the second-best team in basketball surely showed the obvious: that no one can touch the SPURS ... and that DUNCAN is JORDANESQUE.

His line said it all: 24 points, 13 rebounds and 9 blocks. WHO DOES THAT??? Plus, he's averaging 24 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks in only 38 minutes a game in the playoffs. He's undoubtedly the best defensive player of the last four decades, and he is obviously one of the Top 5 offensive players of his time.

Year after year, he clearly shows he is the best leader and best player in the game. The only peer who ever measured up to his high standards was SHAQUILLE O'NEAL in the late '90s and early aughties.

Which reminds me of this running joke I've used for the previous eight seasons--ever since MICHAEL JORDAN retired--when people ask me who do I think is gonna win the NBA Championship. I'd tell them, "Flip a coin. Heads, it's Duncan; tails, it's Shaq." I've been right for seven of the last eight years with that simple strategy, and Timmy's about to make me eight-for-nine.

Think about it: everytime Duncan is in a game, he's the best player offensively on either team every series he plays, and defensively, he and the Spurs take away every star's game in dramatic fashion. In this series, Nash wasn't the same guy who finished 1-or-2 in the MVP voting the last three years, Marion was subpar, while Amare was limited to sitting out 15 minutes per game on because of foul trouble. Melo may have been good, but Allen Iverson and Marcus Camby were not even "average" players in their first-round series against the Spurs. It happens every year.

But still, DUNCAN does not get the respect from November-to-April that he commands every May-and-June after he consistently outplays all his peers (look it up--the PERs don't lie and his defensive greatness isn't even factored into that score). This year he has a NBA-best 28.51 PER at playoff time, and last year he even went over the 30-mark, which is unheard of. And like I said before, "THAT DOESN'T EVEN COUNT HIS DEFENSIVE GREATNESS!!!!!"

This year 129 idiots voted for the NBA MVP and not one of them picked Duncan first. It happens every year, and every May and June, he makes everyone look moronic for not recognizing him as the best. Like I've said before, TD is the Keyser Soze of the NBA: "The greatest trick Tim Duncan ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

ESPN THE MAGAZINE'S BILL SIMMONS wrote a column in last week's mag where he talks about Duncan being the best, and it makes me wanna slap him for not writing this same piece years ago. It's been obvious to me since 1999, AND THIS IS NEWS TO YOU AND YOUR READERS, BILL?????

Simmons writes: "Over the past 10 years, Duncan has been overshadowed by Kobe and Shaq, LeBron and Wade, Nash and Kidd, Nowitzki and KG, even C-Webb and Iverson ... and yet, Tim Duncan was better than all of them."

My first thought and only thought after I read that piece: "No shit."

I had a similar reaction when I heard ESPN analyst JON BARRY say during Friday night's telecast: "I had no idea that Tim Duncan was this good a player on the defensive end."

Huh??? And I suppose Barry also didn't know that STEVE NASH is a really good passer. And that BARRY BONDS is really really good at hitting home runs.

Such stupid comments befuddles me.

Anyway, some of you may be wondering why I'm writing about this in a California blog. Well, for one, I'ma Spurs fan and I needed to vent. And secondly, the Spurs are a Cali team whether you realize it or not. Tim and his wife spend summer time in L.A. with one of Tim's best friends, actor MARC BLUCAS. TONY PARKER, of course, spends many frequent-flier miles visiting his actress fiancee EVA LONGORIA out in La-La land during the season and in the offseason. And Parker also has been known to bring his teammates to the set of "24" quite often to visit his other actor friend CARLOS BERNARD, when Tony Almeida was still alive on the TV show. ROBERT HORRY, when he isn't hitting big shots and big body checks, spends much of his summer in his secondary home, Los Angeles, reliving his Laker glory days. And then there's Fresno's favorite NBA son, BRUCE "BRUISE" BOWEN, who does his thang out here in Central Cali in the summertime.

Face it: the Spurs really have become NBA's SHOWTIME team, what with all their celebrity alliances and dominating basketball, moreso than even the Lakers these days.

Just wanted to make sure you knew about history as it was happening because the Spurs are about to become only the fourth team ever to win four NBA championships in nine years.

IT'S A DYNASTY, BABY ... AND DUNCAN IS JORDAN ... Get used to it, if you haven't already.

Clutch20
07-17-2007, 09:49 PM
I enjoyed watching Bruce this morning on kmol tv, SA Living I think it's called, a lot of minutes for Bruce on a variety of subjects, but most funny was the pretaped segment of the one on one game with D. Chancellor and Don "Harass." Old Don twisted his ankle with Bruce defending, again adding another controversial play to the listed legend and lore of Meany Bruce "Boo" Bowen.

“They do a great job of their system and staying true to form,
making big plays in big moments,” Suns coach Mike D'Antoni
told reporters in Phoenix on Thursday. “That's what we're
trying to get. Mental toughness, being lucky, I don't know
what it is.”

The Spurs, D”Antoni added, just seem to “believe a little bit
more.”
“All the time,” he said.

ShoogarBear
07-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Nice article on Duncan, however . . .

He's undoubtedly the best defensive player of the last four decadesUh, no. He's not even the best defensive Spur big man of the last 20 years. :smokin

Which reminds me of this running joke I've used for the previous eight seasons--ever since MICHAEL JORDAN retired--when people ask me who do I think is gonna win the NBA Championship. I'd tell them, "Flip a coin. Heads, it's Duncan; tails, it's Shaq." I've been right for seven of the last eight years with that simple strategy, and Timmy's about to make me eight-for-nine.
Only if the coin came up on the correct side, math genius.

But still, DUNCAN does not get the respect from November-to-April that he commands every May-and-June after he consistently outplays all his peers (look it up--the PERs don't lie and his defensive greatness isn't even factored into that score). This year he has a NBA-best 28.51 PER at playoff time, and last year he even went over the 30-mark, which is unheard of. And like I said before, "THAT DOESN'T EVEN COUNT HIS DEFENSIVE GREATNESS!!!!!"Good points for the PER-worshipers.

Like I've said before, TD is the Keyser Soze of the NBA: "The greatest trick Tim Duncan ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Now that's a good quote.

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Artistry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAakQjpFibg&NR=1)