PDA

View Full Version : Is it TD's Team or TP's team in 08

BIG z
07-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Since TP won the Finals MvP and Duncan on the downside of his career, who's team will it be comming 07-08 season..

Mister Sinister
07-17-2007, 12:52 AM
This is Timmy's team until he retires. End of story.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Duncan on the "downside" of his career? Um did you watch the playoffs?

kingkoopa
07-17-2007, 12:59 AM
It will always be Duncan's team as long as he is around. Parker and the other spurs players know that.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-17-2007, 12:59 AM
By the way till Tim retires, its always going to be his team.

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:00 AM
His production is getting down every year, what do you call that,, he is over thirty and i would say he has only two good seasons left in him..

TheZackAttack!
07-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Downside of his career??? Dude this is Tim's Team

TheZackAttack!
07-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Tim made 1st Team All-NBA and 1st Team Defense. What downside are you talking about?

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Tim made 1st Team All-NBA and 1st Team Defense. What downside are you talking about?

I am just saying with age and his production every year is going down and Tony getting the Final's MVP, dont u think that makes a difference. Even though u are going to say its Tim Duncan he does'nt care who the MVP goes, no thats wrong every person hurts inside.

barbacoataco
07-17-2007, 01:11 AM
If you look at the careers of big men like Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Artis Gilmore--- many of them were able to play at peak or near peak level until the age of 36-37. Some of their best seasons were in the age of 32-34. So I think Duncan has several great seasons left, depending on his desire to continue.

Parker, on the other hand, will be 26 next season. Athletes in general are at their absolute peak in the years 26-27. That was Duncan's age in the 2002-2003 seasons when he was at his best. The question is just how good will Parker be next year. If his mid-range jumper gets a little better, and he starts shooting the 3-ball more, at the 40%+ rate, he could maybe win the NBA regular season MVP next year.

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:14 AM
If you look at the careers of big men like Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Artis Gilmore--- many of them were able to play at peak or near peak level until the age of 36-37. Some of their best seasons were in the age of 32-34. So I think Duncan has several great seasons left, depending on his desire to continue.

Parker, on the other hand, will be 26 next season. Athletes in general are at their absolute peak in the years 26-27. That was Duncan's age in the 2002-2003 seasons when he was at his best. The question is just how good will Parker be next year. If his mid-range jumper gets a little better, and he starts shooting the 3-ball more, at the 40%+ rate, he could maybe win the NBA regular season MVP next year.

That was exactly what i was trying to say..

THE SIXTH MAN
07-17-2007, 01:15 AM
His production is getting down every year, what do you call that,, he is over thirty and i would say he has only two good seasons left in him..
:lol Going down every year in the playoffs? The only decline in Tim's stats is minutes played. I think you're getting his season stats confused with his playoff stats.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_duncan/career_stats.html

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Last year he barely got 20 and 10 .. how does that compare to his othere seasons as a spur.

TDMVPDPOY
07-17-2007, 01:17 AM
without tim, this team will be movin to another state, this is how serious it is. spurs are bankrolling tim atm

person mention even with his new sidekick wont even be able to save the spurs from reallocating...

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:23 AM
without tim, this team will be movin to another state, this is how serious it is. spurs are bankrolling tim atm

person mention even with his new sidekick wont even be able to save the spurs from reallocating...

But that is exactly what some people dont recognize.

J.T.
07-17-2007, 01:27 AM
Tony Parker only won MVP because the Cavs were too scared of Duncan owning them that they doubled him constantly at the expense of hoping Parker would choke in the Finals for the third straight time. Good call, Mike Brown.

Put the next best PF in the league on this team and watch Parker fail to get the Spurs out of the first round. Not to discredit what Tony means to this team but the Spurs success begins and ends with Duncan. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a crackhead.

Tony is Duncan's Pippen.

Solid D
07-17-2007, 01:29 AM
Spurs Dynasty 21 says that Timmy is going to leave because of the Scola and Jackie Butler trade or something.

O-Factor
07-17-2007, 01:29 AM
Last year he barely got 20 and 10 .. how does that compare to his othere seasons as a spur.

I see where you are coming from and how you can make that assumption by looking at the numbers alone, BUT it is widly known that Pop has been purposly limiting Duncans minutes the past few years to extend his career and to make sure he stays healthy and strong for the playoffs. And its working. Tim was a beast in the playoffs(do not judge a player by numbers alone), especially on the Defensive end.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Tony Parker only won MVP because the Cavs were too scared of Duncan owning them that they doubled him constantly at the expense of hoping Parker would choke in the Finals for the third straight time. Good call, Mike Brown.

Put the next best PF in the league on this team and watch Parker fail to get the Spurs out of the first round. Not to discredit what Tony means to this team but the Spurs success begins and ends with Duncan. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a crackhead.

Tony is Duncan's Pippen.
Yet some how the OP believes Tim's on the downside of his career. Considering how well Pop has regulated minutes played by the players, I wouldn't put to much in to regular season stats. But if you watched the playoffs Tim has showed no signs of slowing down.

zocool16
07-17-2007, 01:33 AM

Tony is Duncan's Pippen.

AMEN BRO!

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:34 AM

Tony is Duncan's Pippen.

They did'nt double Duncan that much cuz they knew tonys was hitting his jumper through out the playoffs, the only problem was his shots were not falling, go look how many attemps he has in evry game, doubling is not an excuse.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-17-2007, 01:39 AM
They did'nt double Duncan that much cuz they knew tonys was hitting his jumper through out the playoffs, the only problem was his shots were not falling, go look how many attemps he has in evry game, doubling is not an excuse.
Pretty much every team would collapse on Tim when he had the ball in the post. The only team that played Tim strait up was Phoenix with K.T..

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Pretty much every team would collapse on Tim when he had the ball in the post. The only team that played Tim strait up was Phoenix with K.T..

But they still did'nt double team his as much..

O-Factor
07-17-2007, 01:42 AM

Yeah but K.T. held him on every possesion as TNT proved. So I wouldn't say they played him straight up.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-17-2007, 01:43 AM
If by they you mean Phoenix, then yeah.

TDMVPDPOY
07-17-2007, 01:43 AM
look at it this way, when duncan retires, pop is also stepping down

u never hear pop say something like hey if TP retires or gets traded, pop would step down....

in tim duncan i only trust.

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:44 AM
If by they you mean Phoenix, then yeah.

No i meant the Cavs it was just that he was hitting his shots.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-17-2007, 01:45 AM
Yeah but K.T. held him on every possesion as TNT proved. So I wouldn't say they played him straight up.
I meant play him with one defender and not bring the double.

Man In Black
07-17-2007, 01:46 AM
Big Z don't know shit about Spurs basketball-Why list the Spurs as your team?

Does the Z stand for ZERO knowledge about Spurs 101?

The quick tip of the day is that the Spurs revolve around all things Tim.

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:47 AM
Man dont try to be a fucking Smart ass. I am just talking in Genral.

jaespur21
07-17-2007, 01:48 AM
But they still did'nt double team his as much..
yeah well name a SPUR that was doubled more than timmy

BIG z
Big Z don't know shit about Spurs basketball-Why list the Spurs as your team?

Does the Z stand for ZERO knowledge about Spurs 101?

The quick tip of the day is that the Spurs revolve around all things Tim.

What did i say wrong, i just put senario out there, there is nothing wrong with that is ...

THE SIXTH MAN
Man don't be a fucking dumb ass, look who I quoted fag.

O-Factor
07-17-2007, 01:50 AM

Yeah I know what you meant, I was taking a jab there at phoenix!

BIG z
yeah well name a SPUR that was doubled more than timmy

I just said that he was not his shots and he did get doubled but not as much.

jaespur21
Well Big Z are u trying to say that if the spurs replace timmy with AMARE we would still win 3 out of the last 5 championships or WTF are u sayin

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:51 AM
Man don't be a fucking dumb ass, look who I quoted fag.

My bad. i realize my mistake.

jaespur21
I just said that he was not his shots and he did get doubled but not as much.

most of those shots if not all were in the offensive flow....so who cares if they went in or not....next time they are all money

AnkleBreaker21
this is a dumb dumb thread. its tim's team until he's gone

THE SIXTH MAN
07-17-2007, 01:52 AM
On top of that you're a fucking retard for not noticing something as simple as a double team. It's when two players of the opposite squad defend a single player. Understand the concept and then buy the fucking Spurs DVD and then tell me that the cavs did not double Tim.

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Well Big Z are u trying to say that if the spurs replace timmy with AMARE we would still win 3 out of the last 5 championships or WTF are u sayin
I am not even leaning towards that i just wanted to know what you guys think after tony winning the MVP of the Finals will it be Timmys team going into next year or not.

AnkleBreaker21
07-17-2007, 01:54 AM
that is some dumb shit

Man In Black
07-17-2007, 01:54 AM
What did i say wrong, i just put senario out there, there is nothing wrong with that is ...

Scenario...The transition from 4 down becomes a triangle and 2, but inverted. Manu & Tony get more touches while Tim locks down foundation. Ask Kobe Bryant how hard it is to win without a quality interior player?

Then you'd find that this scenario is being asked WAY TOO SOON.

Hell, does 9 out of 10 ALL-NBA 1st team placements coinciding with ALL-NBA D Team placement validate your theory that HE IS ON THE DOWNSIDE?

That would be a qualified...Well let's just say it like Tim said to Joey when he got tossed in Dallas, Fuck you.

Downside? More like TD is hitting his stride and it's all an easy downhill trip to continued dominance. :fro

jaespur21
07-17-2007, 01:55 AM
On top of that you're a fucking retard for not noticing something as simple as a double team. It's when two players of the opposite squad defend a single player. Understand the concept and then buy the fucking Spurs DVD and then tell me that the cavs did not double Tim.
Man Fuck the DVD i still have my shit on DVR. watch the games SEVERAL times like me and tell me Timmy wasnt tripled team

TDMVPDPOY
07-17-2007, 01:56 AM
I am not even leaning towards that i just wanted to know what you guys think after tony winning the MVP of the Finals will it be Timmys team going into next year or not.

its always been tims team...

without tim this team is nothing periodly

BIG z
Man Fuck the DVD i still have my shit on DVR. watch the games SEVERAL times like me and tell me Timmy wasnt tripled team

Ok lets say he was doubled team, but still he got his shots, did'nt he.

AnkleBreaker21
tripled teamed and fucked by the refs

THE SIXTH MAN
07-17-2007, 01:57 AM
Scenario...The transition from 4 down becomes a triangle and 2, but inverted. Manu & Tony get more touches while Tim locks down foundation. Ask Kobe Bryant how hard it is to win without a quality interior player?

Then you'd find that this scenario is being asked WAY TOO SOON.

Hell, does 9 out of 10 ALL-NBA 1st team placements coinciding with ALL-NBA D Team placement validate your theory that HE IS ON THE DOWNSIDE?

That would be a qualified...Well let's just say it like Tim said to Joey when he got tossed in Dallas, Fuck you.

Downside? More like TD is hitting his stride and it's all an easy downhill trip to continued dominance. :fro
:tu

jaespur21
07-17-2007, 01:58 AM
Ok lets say he was doubled team, but still he got his shots, did'nt he.
Yes and im happy with the shots he took even during the games. my brother broke a table cuz he got pissed off but i told him we got this...

BCUZ timmy took good shots they didnt go in oh well doesnt mean hes on the decline....

Timmy got fouled with 1 second left in 06 am i crying about it nope the mavs 1 then they choked

jaespur21
07-17-2007, 02:00 AM
tripled teamed and fucked by the refs

Exactly no other SUPERSTAR gets rapped by the refs as does TImmy. Tim gets called constantly 4 touched fouls while he gets hacked an nothin is called

BIG z
07-17-2007, 02:01 AM
:tu

All i am saying is that he has not been putting great numbers in the Reg season last there years, some beacuse of injuries, but he was healthy last year and barely got 20 and 10 , all i am saying is that gonna be there with the progression of Tony Parker, is TD still going to be a 20 10 guy.

BIG z
07-17-2007, 02:05 AM
Exactly no other SUPERSTAR gets rapped by the refs as does TImmy. Tim gets called constantly 4 touched fouls while he gets hacked an nothin is called

But to be honest TD wines alot too

jaespur21
07-17-2007, 02:05 AM
All i am saying is that he has not been putting great numbers in the Reg season last there years, some beacuse of injuries, but he was healthy last year and barely got 20 and 10 , all i am saying is that gonna be there with the progression of Tony Parker, is TD still going to be a 20 10 guy.

Where u from man CALI numbers dont mean shit :clap

TDMVPDPOY
07-17-2007, 02:06 AM
all those clowns who think this is TPS team, go watch that tim duncan adidas commercial, are you a fool?

BIG z
07-17-2007, 02:06 AM
Where u from man CALI numbers dont mean shit :clap

No i am from San Antonio..

THE SIXTH MAN
07-17-2007, 02:09 AM
Like I said earlier, Pop has seriously regulated the teams minutes especially the big three. Add to that that the large deficits that the spurs were winning by after the all star break and then you got Tim practically not even seeing the floor during the 4th quarter.

Bottom line is Tim's playoff numbers have been consistent. And that's all that really matters.

BIG z
07-17-2007, 02:12 AM
Did u all notice when During the Cermoney in the Almodome when TD got up every one was cheering MVP and then TP realized this is not his town and said i am just borrowing this Final MVP trophy for a year from Timmy, that kind of said alot. The main thing is that fan will always believe in Timmy, that all i wanted to know.

Man In Black
07-17-2007, 02:16 AM
NO, you asked point blank if in 08, if the Spurs were Tony's team. See the Title of the response?

Why don't you find out who is more effective per minute. TP ain't all of a sudden going to be a 20 point 10 assists per game guy does that make him any less important? NO. The Spurs need for Tim to have more 20-10 games than for TP to get 20-10. Someone has to do the interior dirty work that predicates the Spurs offensively and defensively and until Tim cannot, he is the #1 option BAR NONE.

It's a simple stat that can be found right here->
http://www.82games.com/0607/playoffs/0607SAS.HTM

For those very same playoffs look at the roland ratings to see in terms of importance by statistics, who played well through out the ENTIRE playoffs.

I see Duncan as #1 and see Parker #6.

I give much props to TP for working on the nuances of his jumper and his growing hoop intellect and his time as a perenial star will come soon but before one can say, TP's team in 08 can TP make at least 1 ALL-NBA team...even a 3rd team placement would be cool. TD has as many straight as Larry Legend. Can you see where your misguided emphasis is taking you now?

Man In Black
07-17-2007, 02:19 AM
I'm from Cali and numbers are UNIVERSAL.
Localism sucks- the beaches are public, the chicks are hot and the Spurs own the NBA title once again.

May next year be a mere formality and let the back-to-back come to fruition.

AnkleBreaker21
07-17-2007, 02:19 AM
NO, you asked point blank if in 08, if the Spurs were Tony's team. See the Title of the response?

Why don't you find out who is more effective per minute. TP ain't all of a sudden going to be a 20 point 10 assists per game guy does that make him any less important? NO. The Spurs need for Tim to have more 20-10 games than for TP to get 20-10. Someone has to do the interior dirty work that predicates the Spurs offensively and defensively and until Tim cannot, he is the #1 option BAR NONE.

For those very same playoffs look at the roland ratings to see in terms of importance by statistics, who played well through out the ENTIRE playoffs.

I give much props to TP for working on the nuances of his jumper and his growing hoop intellect and his time as a perenial star will come soon but before one can say, TP's team in 08 can TP make at least 1 ALL-NBA team...even a 3rd team placement would be cool. TD has as many straight as Larry Legend. Can you see where your misguided emphasis is taking you now?
:clap :clap :clap

BIG z
07-17-2007, 02:21 AM

Good for you, probably did take u alot of time finding that website, but u did make ur point, u should somehow get that to genral spurs and Nba fans to tell them how great #21 Really is and that they should appreciate him more...

Man In Black
07-17-2007, 02:26 AM
So Big Z...
Whose team is it in 08?

BIG z
07-17-2007, 02:33 AM
I would say the guy in my avatar..

BIG z
07-17-2007, 02:35 AM
Man i am the very big TD fan and it really hurt me not seeing him win the Finals MVP, all i wanted to know what do the fans think after TP won the MVP that who does the team belong to..

milkyway21
07-17-2007, 03:15 AM
Since TP won the Finals MvP and Duncan on the downside of his career, who's team will it be comming 07-08 season..:wtf :wtf :oops

once again I almost choked on my coffee.

:wakeup

:lmao

v2freak
07-17-2007, 03:49 AM
Man i am the very big TD fan and it really hurt me not seeing him win the Finals MVP, all i wanted to know what do the fans think after TP won the MVP that who does the team belong to..

I too, did not win anyone but TD to win the Finals MVP. There would be talk about who's team it would be, TP's ego would get even bigger, there would be talks about a decline and future debaters will point to TD as having not only 2 all-star players but a Finals MVP quality one as well.

raspsa
07-17-2007, 03:51 AM
It would be a struggle but I can imagine a Spurs team winning the championship w/o Parker. Can't imagine them doing it without Duncan.

Extra Stout
07-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Is this thread serious?

Findog
07-17-2007, 07:43 AM
It was going to be Scola's team...until they foolishly traded him away. Seriously, that dude is going to be a BEAST!!!! He makes Timmy look like a D-Leaguer. Seriously, the Spurs are going to rue the day they didn't make Scola their starting PF and traded Timmy to the Rockets.

TDMVPDPOY
07-17-2007, 07:47 AM
plz lock this thread

we dont want TP to get a big head and tpfans to get a big head here, we dont want drama

bdictjames
07-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Retarded, fucked up thread.

Duncan has 20 and 10 because he's unselfish. He isn't the guy that wants to pick up stats and win MVP awards. He's there for things you cant put on the stat sheet which is hustle and leadership.

Also, I admit Duncan didn't have a great series against Cleveland on the offensive end. He was double teamed a lot by big, capable defenders namely Ilgauskas and Varejao. And who was guarding Parker? Hobbled Hughes and a boobie the rookie. Go figure who's gonna score more.

Its TD's team till he retires. I dont see why you have so little faith on the big fundamental.

Warlord23
07-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Also, while Parker was the Finals MVP, Duncan was the playoffs MVP. When you consider that the Finals was the easiest series in this playoff run, Duncan hanging 27 and 14 on the Suns through a tough 6-game series counts for a lot.

When you play a sucky East team whose starting PG is hobbled (Hughes) and whose back-ups are Eric Snow and Damon Jones, Parker had an easy time of it overall.

Whereas Duncan went up against Nene/Camby in round 1, Amare/Thomas in round 2, Boozer/Memo in the WCF. And he was still the best player on the floor, statistically and otherwise, in each of those series.

Duncan helped us get out of the West, which is 10X tougher than roughing up a sorry Cavs team.

Switchman
07-17-2007, 08:41 AM
TD team forever. Tony will leave as soon as TD is out anyways.

George Gervin's Afro
07-17-2007, 08:44 AM
TD,TD,TD..let's all it together now....TD, TD, TD

stretch
07-17-2007, 08:50 AM
IMO, Ginobili is more important to the teams success than Parker. Someone said Parker is like Duncan's Pippen, but I think that Ginobili deserves that title more. No one hits nearly as many big shots as Ginobili does. Throughout the playoffs and even in the finals, I felt Ginobili made more of the clutch baskets and daggers than Parker. Parker had the best numbers through the series though, and thats why he won it. But Duncan and Ginobili are both more important to the team's success IMO. And one could even argue that Bowen is a more important player for the Spurs than both Parker and Ginobili. Either way, this team will be Duncan's team till he leaves.

mathbzh
07-17-2007, 08:56 AM
It is TD team.

ginobili fan
07-17-2007, 09:18 AM
It is TD's team for sure there's no question about it.
But without Tony and Manu I don't see Tim winning more than 2 championships(1999 and 2003).
And today it is more evident.
If we want a back to back, we need Tony getting better (like Big z said maybe the offensive leader), and Manu staying healthy.

WalterBenitez
07-17-2007, 09:23 AM
TP ... TS is old

Texas_Ranger
07-17-2007, 09:25 AM
What a stupid question.

TD!!!!

ginobili fan
07-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Who is TS?

da_suns_fan__
07-17-2007, 09:27 AM
The day the Spurs actually start going to Tony Parker down the stretch instead of Duncan OR Ginobili is the day you can speculate whether the Spurs are his team.

Right now he's still way too turnover prone.

ginobili fan
07-17-2007, 09:28 AM
less than nash

SAGambler
07-17-2007, 09:30 AM
I concur that this team will always be known as "Tims" team as long as he is a Spur.

But geez. How about giving Tony credit where credit is due. What was every team in the playoffs priority. IIRC it was to "Stop Tony Parker from penetrating the lane".

Some say Tony is Duncans Pippen. But then ask yourself if Tim could be as effective without a Tony Parker on the team. They can't just double up on Tim all the time and hope everyone else is missing jumpers. Tony takes a lot of pressure off of Tim, because they always have to be aware of his speed and quickness into the lane.

And I also agree that if Tony starts hitting 3 pointers at a high percentage this next year, he very well could be league MVP. He has alread shown some Nashesque moves in his passing. He has shown he is not afraid to go among the trees to score. He is usually on with his 12 - 15 foot jumper. AND he plays pretty damn good defense. Right now, Tony may not be as important to the success of this team as Tim, but he is running a damn close second.

BTW I also thought it was pretty shitty of one fan on this board to "hope that Tony had a terrible game 4 against the Cavs" just so Tim could get Finals MVP.

ancestron
07-17-2007, 09:35 AM
What does everyone have against Tony Parker? The kid can play, man. Everyone knows this is Tim Duncan's team. Tony Parker would be the first to tell you that, but no one on the Spurs cares about any of that, its all about the team and playing for each other, thats why they win. The other teams in the league do not win as consistently as the Spurs because the players are more apt to have a "me first" attitude, and when you are playing for Pop, that don't fly. Don't you get it? It takes 5. Tony deserved the Finals MVP without a doubt, he was the most dominant and consistent player in that series. That doesn't take anything away from Tim or anyone else. They are all truly happy for him.

ginobili fan
07-17-2007, 09:36 AM
I concur that this team will always be known as "Tims" team as long as he is a Spur.

But geez. How about giving Tony credit where credit is due. What was every team in the playoffs priority. IIRC it was to "Stop Tony Parker from penetrating the lane".

Some say Tony is Duncans Pippen. But then ask yourself if Tim could be as effective without a Tony Parker on the team. They can't just double up on Tim all the time and hope everyone else is missing jumpers. Tony takes a lot of pressure off of Tim, because they always have to be aware of his speed and quickness into the lane.

And I also agree that if Tony starts hitting 3 pointers at a high percentage this next year, he very well could be league MVP. He has alread shown some Nashesque moves in his passing. He has shown he is not afraid to go among the trees to score. He is usually on with his 12 - 15 foot jumper. AND he plays pretty damn good defense. Right now, Tony may not be as important to the success of this team as Tim, but he is running a damn close second.

BTW I also thought it was pretty shitty of one fan on this board to "hope that Tony had a terrible game 4 against the Cavs" just so Tim could get Finals MVP.

:clap
That's what I am saying.
TD is The Man but without VERY GOOD PLAYERS LIKE TONY AND MANU TODAY IT IS DIFFICULT TO WIN.
And yeah, Tony is getting better and better and actually he can be a league MVP contender.

duncan228
07-17-2007, 09:47 AM
It's a 5 man game. A TEAM game. No one man wins it alone.

It's Duncan's team, there is no debating that. He is the heart and soul.

But it takes 5 to win, and Duncan is nothing if not a team player. He will do anything it takes to help his team win. He's never cared about his individual stats. Why should we?
(Having said that I also wanted him to get the MVP but we won so it's all good.)

He was thrilled that Parker got the MVP. If you watch the end of game 4 when he hugs Parker you can hear him say "You carried us man."

hater
07-17-2007, 09:48 AM
stop kidding yourself. its Pop's team.

ArgSpursFan
07-17-2007, 09:53 AM
eather one,who cares anyways.As long as itīs Manuīs team in all 4 rd quarters and we keep on winning . :fro

Extra Stout
07-17-2007, 09:59 AM
This stuff about Tony Parker winning NBA regular-season MVP is just stupid. Don't get me wrong, I love having Tony Parker on the Spurs. He is a terrific player. He is an All-Star. He has become capable of carrying the team for stretches. He has replaced James Silas as the best PG in the history of the franchise, and makes the talk of retiring Avery Johnson's number just the quaint chatter of slack-jawed yokels. But he is NOT an MVP-caliber player.

I don't want to hear any stupid arguments like "Well, he won Finals MVP so it could happen." Chauncey Billups, Joe Dumars, James Worthy, Cedric Maxwell, and Jo Jo White also have won Finals MVP awards, and great players though they were, none of them were the kind of players who were ever going to win regular-season MVP.

I don't know what is wrong with you people. Maybe the boredom and the heat of the summer make you say things like that.

Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward in the history of the game of basketball. Tony Parker is around the 5th-best point guard in the current NBA. Stop claiming that they are anywhere close to equal.

Is it any wonder that the American public ignores Tim Duncan and his achievements, when all it takes is a celebrity wedding and some ESPN love for Parker, for even Spurs fans to lose all perspective?

ATRAIN
07-17-2007, 10:02 AM
It will always be Duncan's team as long as he is around. Parker and the other spurs players know that.

I usually dont ever say this, but THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS....It will always be Tim's team.

mathbzh
07-17-2007, 10:06 AM
This stuff about Tony Parker winning NBA regular-season MVP is just stupid. Don't get me wrong, I love having Tony Parker on the Spurs. He is a terrific player. He is an All-Star. He has become capable of carrying the team for stretches. He has replaced James Silas as the best PG in the history of the franchise, and makes the talk of retiring Avery Johnson's number just the quaint chatter of slack-jawed yokels. But he is NOT an MVP-caliber player.

I don't want to hear any stupid arguments like "Well, he won Finals MVP so it could happen." Chauncey Billups, Joe Dumars, James Worthy, Cedric Maxwell, and Jo Jo White also have won Finals MVP awards, and great players though they were, none of them were the kind of players who were ever going to win regular-season MVP.

I don't know what is wrong with you people. Maybe the boredom and the heat of the summer make you say things like that.

Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward in the history of the game of basketball. Tony Parker is around the 5th-best point guard in the current NBA. Stop claiming that they are anywhere close to equal.

Is it any wonder that the American public ignores Tim Duncan and his achievements, when all it takes is a celebrity wedding and some ESPN love for Parker, for even Spurs fans to lose all perspective?

I agree with you except Tony is just 25, is still on the learning curve and is playing for the best team. If next season:
- He improves one more time
- Tim is preserved for the post season so Parker is the Spurs leader in the regular season.
- The Spurs have a top 3 record

I would not be shocked to see Parker named MVP. It would not mean he is the best player in the league (was Dirk the best player in the league???).

Moreover the Dirk Flop could make the voters chose a proven winner (a Spurs
:lol )... why not the last finals MVP?

EDIT: I still think it is TD team

O-Factor
07-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Its Tims. 1st team All-NBA, 1st Team All NBA Defense. Parker will have his time to lead in the future. Its been great watching his career and see him improve every season

O-Factor
07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Tony's album cover

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/tony_parker_releases_first_rap_album-arton41857-290x290.jpg

hater
07-17-2007, 10:32 AM
he needs to kill his graphic designer

Kori Ellis
07-17-2007, 10:36 AM
It's Duncan's team until he retires.

And probably even beyond that :lol

Bruno
07-17-2007, 10:37 AM
It's Peter Holt's team.

ducks
07-17-2007, 10:44 AM
It's Duncan's team until he retires.

And probably even beyond that :lol
did people not say that about david robinson's when he was playing
not saying it is tp team
but

rob5
07-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Parker is a ball hog. Another reason why Duncan's numbers were down. You can't score without the ball.,

SAGambler
07-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Parker is a ball hog. Another reason why Duncan's numbers were down. You can't score without the ball.,

LMFAO. Tony is a ballhog?

Stevie Franchise is a ballhog.

Allen Iverson is a ballhog.

Tony is always looking for the open man. But if it's not there, he certainly has the ability to drive and score. How in the hell can you call him a ballhog?

Findog
07-17-2007, 12:05 PM
I thought it was Peter Holt's team.

samikeyp
07-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Its Duncan's team. I bet even TP would say that.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I think it's Marcus Williams' team.

rob5
07-17-2007, 12:49 PM
LMFAO. Tony is a ballhog?

Stevie Franchise is a ballhog.

Allen Iverson is a ballhog.

Tony is always looking for the open man. But if it's not there, he certainly has the ability to drive and score. How in the hell can you call him a ballhog?
Which Parker did you watch??? He always looks to Score first. Then he passes but keeps his hands out demanding the ball right back. Not saying he's not good with the ball. But just saying it is another reason why Duncan's scoring is down

vander
07-17-2007, 01:27 PM
anyone who thinks TD's performance is sliding just isn't watching him. He's playing smarter, letting the game come to him, not overexerting himself.

he's holding back, prolonging his career; but his presence is felt on the court now more then ever, no one in the game raises the level of play of his teammates as timmy does. he and he alone makes this team go, he just delegates scoring and stats to his teammates, until they really need him to go 40-20 and then he will.
we strolled through the playoffs this year, thats why you didn't see stats from Duncan.

duncan228
07-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Parker has said it.
He said it a lot through the Playoffs/Finals this year.
Things along the line of: "It's Timmy's team" and "Timmy let me play my best ball now."

Listen to the post game press conferences and you'll hear lots of stuff like this.

BIG z
07-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Parker has said it.
He said it a lot through the Playoffs/Finals this year.
Things along the line of: "It's Timmy's team" and "Timmy let me play my best ball now."

Listen to the post game press conferences and you'll hear lots of stuff like this.
Parker is a Frenchy and i would'nt trust him, he was just saying that to make a point, but other wise his feeling in the inside are different and no question he is a ball hog, may be because he is not a true point gurad.

duncan228
07-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Parker is a Frenchy and i would'nt trust him, he was just saying that to make a point, but other wise his feeling in the inside are different and no question he is a ball hog, may be because he is not a true point gurad.

You know what "his feelings inside" are? (I won't even bother with your "Frenchy-wouldn't trust him" statement.)

The Spurs play as a team. If Parker were the ballhog you make him out to be he wouldn't have lasted on this team.

Yes, he can have a "score first" mentality, which Pop has encouraged. But he makes plays for his teammates.

A ballhog like you describe wouldn't fit in the Spurs locker room. They are a team first, win at all costs team. (See All-Star Manu willingly come off the bench.)

Duncan is the leader of this team, he has been for years and he will be until he retires. Whose team it will be then is not apparant yet.

I see a team that works like a well oiled machine. Their "Superstar" sets the tone, the rest of the team follows his example. Anyone with an ego too big to accept that doesn't play for this team.

J.T.
07-17-2007, 02:56 PM
IMO, Ginobili is more important to the teams success than Parker. Someone said Parker is like Duncan's Pippen, but I think that Ginobili deserves that title more. No one hits nearly as many big shots as Ginobili does. Throughout the playoffs and even in the finals, I felt Ginobili made more of the clutch baskets and daggers than Parker. Parker had the best numbers through the series though, and thats why he won it. But Duncan and Ginobili are both more important to the team's success IMO. And one could even argue that Bowen is a more important player for the Spurs than both Parker and Ginobili. Either way, this team will be Duncan's team till he leaves.

I agree with you because the Spurs have so many people contributing to their success that you can't really pick one guy to be the Pippen to Duncan's Jordan. But I said Parker because at first Parker was inconsistent and had a horrible shot and took way too many threes. In just a short time re-inventing his shot with Chip Engelland he's improved his jumper, his shot selection, and is taking an exponentially less amount of 3 point shots.

The problem Parker had before was his youth. He was just a young player, and young players tend to make mistakes. But it's just proof that he's growing up in the NBA by taking the responsibility to improve his game to help his team. Honestly, the sky's the limit for Tony. He's already a good finisher and can get points on the board. He has the potential to be a Steve Nash type playmaker, only with defense. And when that happens, he will be undisputed Pippen to Duncan's Jordan.

kingkoopa
07-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Parker still has to work on his consistency though. One night he scores 20 with ease, and the next night he can barley manage 6. Until he masters consistency he won't be considered one of the best in the NBA.

Hemotivo
07-17-2007, 03:46 PM

J.T.
07-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Parker still has to work on his consistency though. One night he scores 20 with ease, and the next night he can barley manage 6. Until he masters consistency he won't be considered one of the best in the NBA.

He's getting better with that. He usually hides behind the rock named TD when the calendar rolls over to April. This year he didn't put on his disappearing act.

The only problem I've ever with Tony after he started fixing his shot is consistency. But he's young and young players are inconsistent at times. But he brought it every night in the finals and got the MVP, so I like to think he's well on his way to breaking that habit.

cherylsteele
07-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Didn't he say he was "borrowing the MVP trophy for a year"?
I know it was tongue-in-cheek...but he also realized that Tim is the better all around player and it is TIM'S TEAM.

Regular season MVP for TP....maybe someday, but not this year. If TP does win in...great...but I just don't see it. TP is a great player, but he isn't quite there.....yet....give him some time and he'll get there.

smrattler
07-17-2007, 04:22 PM
TD is the man. Period. It's both TD and Pop's team. They are the leaders.

Everyone else are just soldiers. TP got himself a medal of honor that's all. :)

remingtonbo2001
07-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Tim is one of the greatest fowards to play the game. When did 30 become old? This isn't the 1980's anymore. There are various techniques and advantages which players have today, allowing to prolong their careers. I believe Tim is actually beginning to hit his prime. Because of other significant contributors, team stratagy, Tim Duncan's statistical numbers have been down the past few seasons. Tim should have a good 5-7 years left in the tank.

Man In Black
07-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Unlike so many other formerly great players whose skills diminish due to their over-reliance on athletecism, the TD we know relies on fundamental brilliance. So every once-in-awhile, TD is victimized by a high-flying dunk by Stoudamire or LeBron or Kobe but eventually, in spectaculary consistent fashion, Tim's fundamental work of pounding the rock shows that he can still dominate. As if the highest winning percentage for the 4 Major Sports in America since he first donned Silver and Black didn't mean anything.

stretch
07-17-2007, 05:11 PM
I agree with you because the Spurs have so many people contributing to their success that you can't really pick one guy to be the Pippen to Duncan's Jordan. But I said Parker because at first Parker was inconsistent and had a horrible shot and took way too many threes. In just a short time re-inventing his shot with Chip Engelland he's improved his jumper, his shot selection, and is taking an exponentially less amount of 3 point shots.

The problem Parker had before was his youth. He was just a young player, and young players tend to make mistakes. But it's just proof that he's growing up in the NBA by taking the responsibility to improve his game to help his team. Honestly, the sky's the limit for Tony. He's already a good finisher and can get points on the board. He has the potential to be a Steve Nash type playmaker, only with defense. And when that happens, he will be undisputed Pippen to Duncan's Jordan.

He will never be as good of a passer or shooter as Steve Nash. NEVER. And he may be a better defender, but he isnt exactly spectacular at that either. Without Duncan and Bowen locking guys and areas up, he would have to focus a LOT more on defense than he does at the moment. I have serious doubts about TPs defense. There is no question that he can penetrate, finish, and score points. Which is great, but thats about all he can do. But I guarantee that he will never be the playmaker that Steve Nash is.

The Truth #6
07-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Are people taking Big z seriously? This whole thread seems like he's just taking the piss.

BIG z
07-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Are people taking Big z seriously? This whole thread seems like he's just taking the piss.

Whats serious about this...It just a debate thats all..

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Since TP won the Finals MvP and Duncan on the downside of his career, who's team will it be comming 07-08 season..

duncan on the downside? LMAO, try watching a Spurs game before you talk

TD is only 31 and better this year then he was in 04-06

and LOL @ the SPurs being Parkers team, he's 1/2 the player w/o Timmy

BIG z
07-17-2007, 07:35 PM
duncan on the downside? LMAO, try watching a Spurs game before you talk

TD is only 31 and better this year then he was in 04-06

and LOL @ the SPurs being Parkers team, he's 1/2 the player w/o Timmy

His prodution has been getting during the last 3 years,I know he is amazing in the playoffs cuz that where u have to give it all, i am just sauing he getting down in scoring and rebouding in the reg season, with progression of TP i have no idea what his stat line is going to be, o well we will just find out when the reg season starts, if he is going to be a 20 10 guy or not..

bdictjames
07-17-2007, 07:41 PM
They are just numbers. What have 4 championship taught you?

BIG z
07-17-2007, 07:46 PM
They are just numbers. What have 4 championship taught you?
So you are saying that TD averages 15 and 9 next season and TP averages 25 and 5 , TD is still going to be the man...

Newton
07-17-2007, 08:23 PM
So you are saying that TD averages 15 and 9 next season and TP averages 25 and 5 , TD is still going to be the man...

Actually, yes. TP's numbers would come as a result of playing alongside of the greatest PF to ever play the game.

I had the privilege of taking several classes with Timmy and seeing him play at Wake Forest. The conversations I had with him described a man who is unbelievably humble, selfless, and confident. What the near-retarded American public is missing is that he is one of the most intelligent professional athletes alive, capable of complex ironic sarcasm and wit. No personality? Bullshit.

I realize that the previous paragraph was not describing Tim's basketball acumen, but I thought that spoke for itself. This is Tim's team, numbers aside.

Clutch20
07-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Tim Duncan determines the quality and quantity of game flow. He decides, ball in hand, whether to fight double-teams or kick it out. Superficially, it seems like (my opinion) Tim shaped his game efforts to best fit Tony's bid for finals MVP. It's uncanny, how I thought Timmy formulated his finals input to let Tony shine, doubtless there are many here who would disagree.
If anyone could craft playoff level games to desired outcomes, it would be Tim Duncan (CIA shadow Pop in the background.)

“They do a great job of their system and staying true to form,
making big plays in big moments,” Suns coach Mike D'Antoni
told reporters in Phoenix on Thursday. “That's what we're
trying to get. Mental toughness, being lucky, I don't know
what it is.”

The Spurs, D”Antoni added, just seem to “believe a little bit
more.”
“All the time,” he said.

spursfan09
07-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Tony Parker is a great player and deserves credit because he has turned into one of the best players in the league. He did not win an MVP finals trophy just because he is playing with TD. Tim Duncan however is a once in a lifetime kind of player and he changed how Spurs basketball is played and viewed. The Spurs belong to Tim. But we should be glad that he is willing to step aside and not complain when TP or Manu play thier games.

milkyway21
07-18-2007, 12:15 AM

I salute you Extra Stout! :clap

dbreiden83080
07-18-2007, 01:00 AM

That is because Pop plays him less minutes now to save him for the playoffs. Just look at his postseason numbers they are like 25 and 12 every year with his minutes back up again. Duncan was not the MVP of the finals but he was far and away the MVP of the playoffs. He played maybe the best all around game i have ever seen him play in game 6 against the Suns and that is saying an awful lot.

mathbzh
07-18-2007, 02:46 AM
Are you kidding????
TP has scored in double digits in all his playoff games. He scored in single digit 9 time during the last season. Including a 3pts 3ast in 12' game and a 9pt 15 ast in 30'.
He is now a very consistent player.

v2freak
07-18-2007, 03:22 AM
Are you kidding????
TP has scored in double digits in all his playoff games. He scored in single digit 9 time during the last season. Including a 3pts 3ast in 12' game and a 9pt 15 ast in 30'.
He is now a very consistent player.

Consistently taking a lot of shots and crowding the paint

mathbzh
07-18-2007, 03:27 AM
He will never be as good of a passer or shooter as Steve Nash. NEVER. And he may be a better defender, but he isnt exactly spectacular at that either. Without Duncan and Bowen locking guys and areas up, he would have to focus a LOT more on defense than he does at the moment. I have serious doubts about TPs defense. There is no question that he can penetrate, finish, and score points. Which is great, but thats about all he can do. But I guarantee that he will never be the playmaker that Steve Nash is.

Nash is a once in a lifetime playmaker... Tony can improve his playmaking without being what Nash is.

spursfan09
07-18-2007, 03:30 AM
Damn this thread brought out alot of TP haters.

ginobili fan
07-18-2007, 05:16 AM
bla bla bla bla bla ........
And we won ...
These are the spurs fans

milkyway21
07-18-2007, 05:45 AM
Parker is a ball hog. Another reason why Duncan's numbers were down. You can't score without the ball.,:lmao

somebody warned me about starting a post about TP scoring 0 pt in the clinching QTR of the 2007 finals it might come to this->fans arguing about who's the best player on this team or who shld have won the finals MVP.

:lol 6 pages already...and still counting... :hungry: more, more!

aaronstampler
07-18-2007, 06:46 AM
This thread is fucking stupid. We've got the best player in the league and it ain't Tony Parker.

ancestron
07-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Tony's album cover

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/tony_parker_releases_first_rap_album-arton41857-290x290.jpg

heard any of the songs? Its actually not bad. Some are a little out there but all in all its a pretty good record. Better than most would expect from an above average NBA player.

It looks like he told the graphics department to enhance his crotch area though.

spursfan09
07-18-2007, 11:00 AM
This thread is fucking stupid. We've got the best player in the league and it ain't Tony Parker.

The biggest TP hater of them all

Man In Black
07-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Look, the OP posed the question...Whose team will it be in 08?

So whether you like TP or not, I Think TP is awesome, whose team will it be?

All right then.

The rest of it is smoke and mirrors. TD provides the foundation work needed to make TP & MG & all the rest go.

xapatan2
07-18-2007, 11:24 AM
I would love to end this thread with this little summary :

-1- : one of the dumbest thread ever since the fourth title ( the question does not even need to be debated)

-2- : a thread that had maybe an hidden purpose : to recreate and to refund the hate at Tony Parker ! During these six pages I have been absolutely not at all astonished to find the usual posters coming back with their stupid arguments that Mr Parker has destroyed years after years : defense, consistency, the 5th point guard in the league, etc and etc...( shooting, his french nationality... blah blah blah...)

Oh man !
Guys, Its been a great pleasure ! well in fact i understand you... must be difficult to eat crow years after years...

Xap'

Man In Black
07-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Notice you threw in the French dig in there. It doesn't matter that Tony is french. It's his game that gets critiqued here. He absolutely deserved to win the Finals MVP but if it's for the playoffs, then Tim wins...no question.
Again, TP is wonderful and a great fit for the Spurs. I'm just saying that there are others that could provide what he does(Not at the same price though).

spursfan09
07-18-2007, 01:39 PM
There are others that could provide what Tony provided. But we will never know. Tony is the one who did it for us. It's okay to be happy with him Spurs fans.

BIG z
07-18-2007, 01:51 PM
ok this is only what i think, before the finals started i think TP had his mind set to win the finals MVP, in the 3rd game where he was not doing good, he took that three, he must have thought that his stat line wasn’t great throughout the game, if he would have made that three it would guarantee his chances on winning the MVP, and on the other hand if he would have missed he would have been criticized cuz he is not 3p shooter and there was enough time on the clock to pass it up for a better shot for someone else, he did take the risk and won the hearts of the MVP voter right there, I still think TD should have won the MVP, he rebounded, scored and played amazing defense which only allowed one dunk by Lebron. For some reason the championship felt empty with TD not winning the MVP...

spursfan09
07-18-2007, 03:09 PM
When he was taking that 3 I thought he was actually trying to help the Spurs win. Damn I should of realized it was to fill his stat line. Now I wish I wouldn't of celebrated when he made it.

BIG z
07-18-2007, 03:11 PM
When he was taking that 3 I thought he was actually trying to help the Spurs win. Damn I should of realized it was to fill his stat line. Now I wish I wouldn't of celebrated when he made it.

What if Oberto took the three..

spursfan09
07-18-2007, 03:22 PM
What!!?

BIG z
07-18-2007, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=spursfan09]What!!?[/QUOTe

what if he didnot make it..

Man In Black
07-18-2007, 03:40 PM
TP had his mind set to win the finals MVP, in the 3rd game where he was not doing good, he took that three, he must have thought that his stat line

Alright, this irks me to no end. The one I can say unquivocabally about TP is that he is a team player. Your INTERPRETATION intimates that TP is SELFISH, when he isn't. HE took what the D gave him and he scored.
The guy ain't selfish.

BIG z
07-18-2007, 03:44 PM
The Guy is fake, believe it or not,

ducks
07-18-2007, 03:47 PM
when is the last time he did not score in double figures :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

he can get better but he is pretty conistant now

polandprzem
07-18-2007, 03:47 PM
I always thought it was Peter's Holt team
WTF?

:D

Seriously, come on. Was Boston Celtica A denis Johnsons team one time?
Nope
It was always about Larry

BIG z
07-18-2007, 03:49 PM
I always thought it was Peter's Holt team
WTF?

U were probably living under a rock, maybe still are..

:D

Seriously, come on. Was Boston Celtica A denis Johnsons team one time?
Nope
It was always about Larry

polandprzem
07-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Fuck, I have to be tired doing such typos like Celtica

:pctoss

chasky
07-18-2007, 09:05 PM
In the Four Quarter it is the manu team and allways be there.

aaronstampler
07-19-2007, 04:33 AM
This is a new low for TP lovers. According to you guys, it's now an insult to Tony Parker to point out that Tim Duncan is the better player. Good grief. Even LJ has the maturity to not respond to such nonsense.

Too bad I don't.

Don't any of you guys realize that Tony would think you're all retarded for thinking he's the team's best player?

It's pretty simple: Best PF of all time >>>> 5th best PG today. Is that too hard to comprehend?

And yes, I would still put Manu somewhere between the two. You know, since I like understand basketball and stuff.

Something like Tim >>>>>>> Manu >> Tony probably adequately explains it.

Y'all have a lovely day.

dav4463
07-19-2007, 05:42 AM
It's OUR TEAM !

xapatan2
07-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Notice you threw in the French dig in there. It doesn't matter that Tony is french. It's his game that gets critiqued here. He absolutely deserved to win the Finals MVP but if it's for the playoffs, then Tim wins...no question.
Again, TP is wonderful and a great fit for the Spurs. I'm just saying that there are others that could provide what he does(Not at the same price though).

take the time to read the 5 pages before and you'll see that i do not throw the the french dig here, i am just making a resume of what has been written...

and the rest of your written... ah....

What else can i say... It's been a good six months now that i wish Tony was traded... make no mistake, I have been here abroad a spurs fan since Robinson, so in the early nineties...

but to continue to read so many stupidities such as : "I'm just saying that there are others that could provide what he does(Not at the same price though)" is tiring me and preventing me to post...

Please people, TRADE HIM NOW !!!

xapatan2
07-19-2007, 07:54 AM
ok this is only what i think, before the finals started i think TP had his mind set to win the finals MVP, in the 3rd game where he was not doing good, he took that three, he must have thought that his stat line wasn’t great throughout the game, if he would have made that three it would guarantee his chances on winning the MVP, and on the other hand if he would have missed he would have been criticized cuz he is not 3p shooter and there was enough time on the clock to pass it up for a better shot for someone else, he did take the risk and won the hearts of the MVP voter right there, I still think TD should have won the MVP, he rebounded, scored and played amazing defense which only allowed one dunk by Lebron. For some reason the championship felt empty with TD not winning the MVP...

And you start the thread...
can you explain your purpose in starting this thread ?

let me explain it to other :

make a good focus on the bad thing made by Parker, re-interpreting the good thing that he has done....( in bad ones), well in fact, trying to re-write the history in a different way that the reality...

My take is finished with this thread, and the same for the others you might be able to start... i do call that a kind of manipulation and i don't like that...

See you guys, I know we will hear from you as soon as Tony has a subpar game...
Xap

mathbzh
07-19-2007, 08:35 AM
This is a new low for TP lovers. According to you guys, it's now an insult to Tony Parker to point out that Tim Duncan is the better player. Good grief. Even LJ has the maturity to not respond to such nonsense.

Too bad I don't.

Don't any of you guys realize that Tony would think you're all retarded for thinking he's the team's best player?

It's pretty simple: Best PF of all time >>>> 5th best PG today. Is that too hard to comprehend?

And yes, I would still put Manu somewhere between the two. You know, since I like understand basketball and stuff.

Something like Tim >>>>>>> Manu >> Tony probably adequately explains it.

Y'all have a lovely day.

Most people here think TD >>> TP. The problem is just that there is so much TP haters here.

TP is 25 yo and improves every years, average 24 ppg in the finals, score in double digits in all the playoff games, is the starting PG for the best team in the league since he is 19 yo, improves every year, score at a ridiculous %, finally has a jumpshot and may become a serious 3 pt threat...

Pop is the more intransigent coach, he had a chance to land Kidd here and finally he had faith in Parker (despite a poor playoff run).

But it is not enough for TP haters...
For them "basketball genius", Pop is probably a moron, a guy who didn't detect the poor-selfish-French-inconsistent PG in Parker.

Of course Parker is not the best Spurs (I think Duncan >>> Parker = Ginobili).
But for 4 games he was on the same level than Duncan. I don't see the shame in Parker receiving the MVP, I don't understand why there is so much anger against him. Without Duncan OR Ginobili OR Parker we would probably have lose the series against the Suns. Bashing Parker will not make Duncan/Gino greater.

Despite being the greatest PF ever Duncan needed Robinson, Parker and Ginobili (and all the other players) to have 4 rings. If Duncan had landed in the wolves instead of Garnett (and KG here), maybe KG would have been the one in the "GOAT?" debate and Duncan the ringless one. So stop saing anyone could do the Parker job when Duncan can't be replaced.

waly.mg
07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
The Defense never won the MVP

If Ben Wallace donīt won this award, never the Best Defender won the Trophy

The Key of the Spurs Championship, and the Spurs Dinasty is Tim Duncan and Defense

Tony isnīt a good defender, so he never will be the Key of the Victory, the Duncanīs Defense in the Finals, was amazing, like BBīs Defense, and this was the Key

If Tony scores 30 points a game, and the Spurs donīt play D, the NBA Finals MVP had been Lebron James and the Cavs the Champions

What percentage of the Defense is thanks to Tony?

Tim and Bruce Plays amazing D, Manu and Oberto plays good D, and Tony Plays Steve Nashīs D

da_suns_fan__
07-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Its Eva's team.

spursfan09
07-19-2007, 03:30 PM

The Key of the Spurs Championship, and the Spurs Dinasty is Tim Duncan and Defense

Tony isnīt a good defender, so he never will be the Key of the Victory, the Duncanīs Defense in the Finals, was amazing, like BBīs Defense, and this was the Key

If Tony scores 30 points a game, and the Spurs donīt play D, the NBA Finals MVP had been Lebron James and the Cavs the Champions

Tim and Bruce Plays amazing D, Manu and Oberto plays good D, and Tony Plays Steve Nashīs D

:lol and why should we take anything you say about Parker serious? You have a pail over his head in your pic under your name, and pic of an Argentine flag.

spursfan09
07-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Most people here think TD >>> TP. The problem is just that there is so much TP haters here.

TP is 25 yo and improves every years, average 24 ppg in the finals, score in double digits in all the playoff games, is the starting PG for the best team in the league since he is 19 yo, improves every year, score at a ridiculous %, finally has a jumpshot and may become a serious 3 pt threat...

Pop is the more intransigent coach, he had a chance to land Kidd here and finally he had faith in Parker (despite a poor playoff run).

For them "basketball genius", Pop is probably a moron, a guy who didn't detect the poor-selfish-French-inconsistent PG in Parker.

But for 4 games he was on the same level than Duncan. I don't see the shame in Parker receiving the MVP, I don't understand why there is so much anger against him. Without Duncan OR Ginobili OR Parker we would probably have lose the series against the Suns. Bashing Parker will not make Duncan/Gino greater.

Despite being the greatest PF ever Duncan needed Robinson, Parker and Ginobili (and all the other players) to have 4 rings. If Duncan had landed in the wolves instead of Garnett (and KG here), maybe KG would have been the one in the "GOAT?" debate and Duncan the ringless one. So stop saing anyone could do the Parker job when Duncan can't be replaced.

You are preaching to the wrong guy.He is the biggest hater of them all. Don't waste your time.

BIG z
07-19-2007, 04:45 PM
You are preaching to the wrong guy.He is the biggest hater of them all. Don't waste your time.

Then again TP is a fake, believe it or not..

spursfan09
07-19-2007, 06:44 PM
TP is a fake? Oh well as long as he keeps playing this great and winning championships he can be as fake as he wants then.

BIG z
07-19-2007, 10:23 PM
O well its TD's Team with out a question..

ducks
07-19-2007, 11:09 PM

if tony is a bad defender who the fucking hell shut down the 6 man of the year?

this is duncan's team
but tp is good not just because of duncan

spursfan09
07-19-2007, 11:09 PM
So then why'd you ask the question if you already knew?

Anyways I agree these are TD's Spurs.

ducks
07-19-2007, 11:11 PM

tony came to play against the suns in game one
tony had the best game as a spur in game one
without that spurs win in game one suns beat the spurs

duncan is the man but without tp they do not beat the suns

milkyway21
07-20-2007, 12:04 AM
tony came to play against the suns in game one
tony had the best game as a spur in game one
without that spurs win in game one suns beat the spurs

duncan is the man but without tp they do not beat the suns

TP owns game 1.
while;

Duncan (only ) averaging 27 pts, 14 rbds against the Suns.
Game 6-almost a triple-double-24 pts, 13 rbds, & 9 blocks.

&
Manu closed games 5 & 6.

TEAM EFFORT.

special mention : Bruce & Horry
no need explainin' :drunk

aaronstampler
07-20-2007, 05:40 AM

Despite being the greatest PF ever Duncan needed Robinson, Parker and Ginobili (and all the other players) to have 4 rings. If Duncan had landed in the wolves instead of Garnett (and KG here), maybe KG would have been the one in the "GOAT?" debate and Duncan the ringless one. So stop saing anyone could do the Parker job when Duncan can't be replaced.<<

Nobody hates Tony. The person who started the thread asked if Tony will be the man on the Spurs next year. Saying "hell no" isn't hating Tony. There isn't a guy in the NBA, including LeBron, Kobe, whoever, that you can put on the Spurs and have me say, "screw Tim, this guy is the man now."

We've got the best player in the NBA, and it boggles my mind how some people can't appreciate or understand that. Without Tony (or Manu) we'd have beaten the Cavs in 6 games. Without Tim they'd sweep us. It's really that simple.

Also, the one thing, the only thing really, that bothers me about Tony's game, is it seems to me that all his efforts to improve his game during offseasons always center around his scoring. You've listed the improvement yourself. Better jumpshooting, better free throws, better threes, higher FG %, etc. That's all fine and dandy. I respect that Tony works hard during the summer to improve. I've even noticed that he became a better defender this past year. But good golly, the guy is our starting point guard. And never, not once, have I ever heard him utter a peep about wanting to be a better passer or a better floor leader the next season. I think I'd faint if I ever heard Tony say something like, "I wanna average 8 assists a game next season."

I think a lot of people in the NBA respect Tony as a scorer, but he still has room for improvement to be seen as an elite point guard. What concerns me is when he gets a Finals MVP award for scoring 24 points, but only averaging 3 assists, including just one in Game 4. People have to realize that kind of thing is a fluke and it only worked out because the Cavs are really, really fucking awful. If Tony goes into the next season with the mentality of more scoring, less passing, it will not lead to good things. And don't even get me started on the relevation that Pop is giving Tony the green light again to shooting threes next season. I have a feeling that's going to make me go gray prematurely.

Supreme_Being
07-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Since when did Tim or Tony acquire the Spurs?

As far as I'm aware, the Spurs is owned by Holt.

mathbzh
07-20-2007, 06:39 AM
<<

Nobody hates Tony. The person who started the thread asked if Tony will be the man on the Spurs next year. Saying "hell no" isn't hating Tony. There isn't a guy in the NBA, including LeBron, Kobe, whoever, that you can put on the Spurs and have me say, "screw Tim, this guy is the man now."

We've got the best player in the NBA, and it boggles my mind how some people can't appreciate or understand that. Without Tony (or Manu) we'd have beaten the Cavs in 6 games. Without Tim they'd sweep us. It's really that simple.

Also, the one thing, the only thing really, that bothers me about Tony's game, is it seems to me that all his efforts to improve his game during offseasons always center around his scoring. You've listed the improvement yourself. Better jumpshooting, better free throws, better threes, higher FG %, etc. That's all fine and dandy. I respect that Tony works hard during the summer to improve. I've even noticed that he became a better defender this past year. But good golly, the guy is our starting point guard. And never, not once, have I ever heard him utter a peep about wanting to be a better passer or a better floor leader the next season. I think I'd faint if I ever heard Tony say something like, "I wanna average 8 assists a game next season."

I think a lot of people in the NBA respect Tony as a scorer, but he still has room for improvement to be seen as an elite point guard. What concerns me is when he gets a Finals MVP award for scoring 24 points, but only averaging 3 assists, including just one in Game 4. People have to realize that kind of thing is a fluke and it only worked out because the Cavs are really, really fucking awful. If Tony goes into the next season with the mentality of more scoring, less passing, it will not lead to good things. And don't even get me started on the relevation that Pop is giving Tony the green light again to shooting threes next season. I have a feeling that's going to make me go gray prematurely.

Written that way I agree 100% with you. As I said the answer to the question "TD or TP team?" is obvious. But if you go through the thread you see a lot of Tony haters exposed. Then look for the MVP discussion... more haters. I believe Tim should have received the MVP for he is domininating on both end. But the MVP for Tony was not shocking. Maybe Duncan should receive more consideration for what he did and what he does but you don't have to disrespect Tony for that.

romain.star
07-20-2007, 08:19 AM
The spurs players deserve real fans... to much blind men here... Is it a Texan speciality?

Extra Stout
07-20-2007, 08:46 AM
These people coming in here and saying Tony Parker is "inconsistent" or "a ball hog" or "selfish" are even more stupid than the ones saying he might win NBA regular-season MVP.

Tony Parker is nothing more and nothing less than the best finisher at the rim in the NBA. He is a terrific scorer. Basically no other guards in the league shoot the percentage he does. Even so, Pop has to exhort him to shoot more all the time because Tony is a team player and wants to defer to Tim. He is anything but selfish. Even when he won that Finals MVP, he readily admitted that the trophy should have Tim Duncan's name on it and joked that he was just "borrowing" it.

Tony is an OK defender who will never be great because of his size. He does not have great court vision, so most of his assists come off breaking down the other team's defense with his penetration. So he's not Oscar Robertson. He's not an MVP-caliber PG like Nash or Kidd, or a dominant player like Baron Davis (when healthy). But man, what do you people want? Elite supporting players are not exactly easy to find.

Does this happen with fans of other teams? Are there Mavericks fans who either slobknob on Josh Howard or hate him and want to see him fail? Do Rockets fans either worship Yao Ming or secretly hope his foot gets hurt so they can feature TMac some more? Or is this mental pathology unique to Spurs fandom?

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2007, 09:13 AM

Parker is already seen as an elite point in the L.

spursfan09
07-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Does this happen with fans of other teams? Are there Mavericks fans who either slobknob on Josh Howard or hate him and want to see him fail? Do Rockets fans either worship Yao Ming or secretly hope his foot gets hurt so they can feature TMac some more? Or is this mental pathology unique to Spurs fandom?

:lol I think its just a Spurs fan thing.

mathbzh
07-20-2007, 09:44 AM
. Even so, Pop has to exhort him to shoot more all the time because Tony is a team player and wants to defer to Tim. He is anything but selfish.
Parker is also a very disciplined player:
Pop asked him to stop shooting 3s until he has rebuild his jumpshot. Parker did it. At the beginning of the last season Pop asked him to involve his teammate. He did. Then Pop asked him to go back to scoring. He did. Sometime Pop is very hard on him. He just says "Ok coach" and go back to work.
By the way he is not the only Spurs like that (How many allstar would accept to be the 6th man like Gino) but he is a Spurs (unselfish, disciplined, hardworker and talented) following the leader Duncan is.

For all the people here who think Parker is a selfish ball hog:

Pop would not admit that and Parker would have been traded a long time ago

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Hating the starting point is a favorite pasttime of Spurs fans.

waly.mg
07-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Anyone look the Finals stats

Duncan Finished

#2 in Ponts
#1 in rebounds
#1 in Assists
#1 in Blocks
#1 in Steals
#2 in FGA
#2 in TO

Tony
#1 in Points
#4 in Rebounds
#2 in Assists
#4 in Steals
0 Blocks
#1 in FGA
#1 in TO

milkyway21
07-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Anyone look the Finals stats

Duncan Finished

#2 in Ponts
#1 in rebounds
#1 in Assists
#1 in Blocks
#1 in Steals
#2 in FGA
#2 in TO

Tony
#1 in Points
#4 in Rebounds
#2 in Assists
#4 in Steals
0 Blocks
#1 in FGA
#1 in TO

LOL Timmy shld be the QB for this team :oops

SpursDynasty
07-20-2007, 11:05 PM

LMAO at Duncan on the "downside of his career." Didn't he just make First-Team All-NBA?

That may very well be the most idiotic thing ever said on this message board...

BIG z
07-21-2007, 12:37 AM
<<

The truth to this is that he is not a pure Point Gurad, he is more of a scorer, he just cant make those simple passes on the pick and Roll to TD when most of the time he is open..

BIG z
03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Is it still Timmy's team.... or the way everyones reacting is it Manu's Team...

mavs>spurs2
03-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Manu's team no doubt. That will probably change once the postseason starts.

anakha
03-29-2008, 10:32 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5606/notthisshitpl6xn4.th.jpg (http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=notthisshitpl6xn4.jpg)

duncan228
03-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Is it still Timmy's team.... or the way everyones reacting is it Manu's Team...

Why would you bump this thread?

BIG z
03-29-2008, 10:35 PM

well everyone was talking about Manu being the MVP.......

anakha
03-29-2008, 10:36 PM

Which has absolutely no bearing on this thread. :rolleyes

BIG z

why you also have some found memory of this thread?

duncan228

So a Duncan/Parker thread makes sense?

BIG z
03-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Which has absolutely no bearing on this thread. :rolleyes

Well i just did'nt want to start another one, the only diffrence is it say parker in stead of Ginobilli, i didnt know back then.... but the question is, Is it still Timmy's team? so just answere if you like...

duncan228
03-29-2008, 10:38 PM
why you also have some found memory of this thread?

No, I just found it odd that you would bump a thread that was not so nice to you when you started it.

anakha

I just realized this guy came up with the 'Parker is a hog' thread before.

Don't bother confusing him with facts and logic. :lol

BIG z

How can i edit the thread? can i ....

BIG z
03-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I just realized this guy came up with the 'Parker is a hog' thread before.

Don't bother confusing him with facts and logic. :lol

Well that was my opinion and i still believe in it, what does that have to do with facts and logic...

anakha
03-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Well that was my opinion and i still believe in it, what does that have to do with facts and logic...

Unintentional comedy at its finest. :lmao

BIG z
03-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Unintentional comedy at its finest. :lmao

No thats stupidity at its finest... get over it...

duncan228
03-29-2008, 10:43 PM

Your opinion in the beginning of the thread was that Duncan was on the downside. By the end you say it's Duncan's team.

Which opinion are we going with?

anakha
03-29-2008, 10:44 PM
No thats stupidity at its finest... get over it...

Or what? You'll post 'Fuck u mother fucker...' then edit it out later? :lol

BIG z
03-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Or what? You'll post 'Fuck u mother fucker...' then edit it out later? :lol

I edited it cuz i didnt want to get banned, cuz people like you are kind of sensitive....

BIG z
03-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Your opinion in the beginning of the thread was that Duncan was on the downside. By the end you say it's Duncan's team.

Which opinion are we going with?

I still thinks it Duncan's team, what do you say....

anakha
03-29-2008, 10:48 PM
I edited it cuz i didnt want to get ban, cuz people like you are kind of sensitive....

Nah, not sensitive, just allergic to mind-numbing stupidity.

duncan228
03-29-2008, 10:48 PM
I still thinks it Duncan's team, what do you say....

Glad you came around.
I've always said it's Duncan's team.

Brutalis
03-29-2008, 10:49 PM

BIG z
03-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Nah, not sensitive, just allergic to mind-numbing stupidity.

whatever helps you sleep at night...

BIG z
03-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Glad you came around.
I've always said it's Duncan's team.

I never denied, its just others are kind of confused....

anakha
03-29-2008, 10:51 PM
whatever helps you sleep at night...

Oh, I'm sure knowing that your thread was accorded 'Classic' status for your idiocy will help me sleep REAL well. :lol

duncan228
03-29-2008, 10:51 PM
I never denied, its just others are kind of confused....

You better go back and read your own thread.
Start with the first post where you say Duncan is on the downside.

BIG z
03-29-2008, 10:52 PM

Well is he not.....Hes not the same...

anakha
03-29-2008, 10:53 PM

Oops. :lmao

BIG z
03-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Should have just made a new thread..

Brutalis
03-29-2008, 11:23 PM
And to add wisdom to a stupid thread it might as well have added Manu too.

tp2021
03-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Tony is Duncan's Pippen.

then who's manu? :spin

Spurs Dynasty 21
03-30-2008, 11:45 AM
LOL @ Parker's team

he is nothing more then a shooting PG that's a 3rd option AT BEST

BIG z
03-30-2008, 11:53 AM
then who's manu? :spin

Manu is a half version of Jordan, and Duncan is the other half....

kace
03-30-2008, 12:16 PM
well, being from france l hear a lot of interviews of TP and i can tell that he's always very clear that Tim is their leader.
i don't even know why but it always seems to make a point at saying this in almost each interview, maybe because he loves Tim and he knows what he owes him.

he also always say very good things about manu.

but this thread is good because i really often see a lot of great things said about tim and manu (which is deserved) and much less about TP, not to talk about bashing by TP haters. so, it's a good thread imo even if the answer is obvious.

DAF86
03-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Manu is a half version of Jordan, and Duncan is the other half....

:lol manu 1/3 - tim 2/3

...that's more like it (or likely) (how's the expression?)

DAINTX
03-30-2008, 03:36 PM
The announcers said today that Tim was something like 63rd in the league in minutes played. Don't know how accurate that is, but I bet it's not too far off. So he's probably playing less minutes than he used too, maybe a lot less. How much do you figure that impacts his stats? Also, Tim has never depended on great athleticism in his game...'cause he never had it (:lol to say that about any NBA player, but it's true). He's always relied on BB IQ and positioning/finesse. Those things don't go away very quickly. If he wants it, and doesn't get injured, he'll very likely be about as effective at 36-37 as he is today.

oski1000
03-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Spurs w/o Manu or TD canīt be NBA champions.

Spurs w/o TP reached the first place in the West this season....

TampaDude
03-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Duncan is still the core of this team...no TD, no Titles...

Avitus1
03-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Timmy's team, others just "Handle" it for him.

ClingingMars
03-30-2008, 07:07 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5606/notthisshitpl6xn4.th.jpg (http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=notthisshitpl6xn4.jpg)

SpurAddict561
03-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Manu's team

BIG z
03-30-2008, 10:20 PM
well, being from france l hear a lot of interviews of TP and i can tell that he's always very clear that Tim is their leader.
i don't even know why but it always seems to make a point at saying this in almost each interview, maybe because he loves Tim and he knows what he owes him.

he also always say very good things about manu.

but this thread is good because i really often see a lot of great things said about tim and manu (which is deserved) and much less about TP, not to talk about bashing by TP haters. so, it's a good thread imo even if the answer is obvious.

He says that beacuse people have their doubts...