PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs may net savings in trade (Spanoulis)

DieMrBond
07-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Spurs may net savings in trade

Web Posted: 07/17/2007 12:14 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

The agent for Vassilis Spanoulis said Monday the Greek guard doesn't want to return to the NBA and would like the Spurs to release him from his contract.
The Spurs acquired Spanoulis on Thursday in a trade that sent center Jackie Butler and the draft rights to Argentine forward Luis Scola to the Houston Rockets. Spanoulis had previously asked the Rockets for his release, and the Spurs made the deal knowing there was a strong chance he would prefer to play in Greece.

Spurs officials have yet to receive a formal request from Spanoulis, but they're expected to grant his release provided he gives up the $1.9 million he's due this season in the last guaranteed year of the contract. Because their payroll is over the league's luxury-tax threshold, the Spurs would save around $4 million if Spanoulis doesn't play for them.

"He loves (the) Spurs, but he desperately wants to stay in Europe," Spanoulis' agent, Miodrag Raznatovic, wrote in an e-mail. "If somebody does not want to play for such a great team, coach and organization as S.A. is, it's probably clear that he really must stay in Europe. We hope that S.A. will respect his wish."

Spanoulis appeared in 31 games for Houston last season, averaging 2.7 points, 0.9 assists and 8.8 minutes.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071707.1D.spurs.3613162.html

Remove if posted already.

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:11 AM
The only truth to this deal was that the spurs realized that they were paying Jacki Butler alot money for nothinh and the only way to get rid of him was to put Scola in the deal to get rid of his contract, they already new that the Greek dude didn't wanna play in the Nba and with cash consideration and saving alot of money the spurs might just buy out Tiago Splitter's Eurpean Contract.

whottt
07-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Ludden sucks...the summer is boring enough without him killing whatever little excitement there is.

Go to hell Ludden, and if you don't have something fun to say...best not to say anything at all.

Solid D
07-17-2007, 01:16 AM
The only truth to this deal was that the spurs realized that they were paying Jacki Butler alot money for nothinh and the only way to get rid of him was to put Scola in the deal to get rid of his contract, they already new that the Greek dude didn't wanna play in the Nba and with cash consideration and saving alot of money the spurs might just buy out Tiago Splitter's Eurpean Contract.

Splitter doesn't have a buyout option until next season.

T Park
07-17-2007, 01:16 AM
The Spurs made a trade cause they are cheap fucks?

YOU DONT SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess Holt gave the OK to let this be printed I assume.

DieMrBond
07-17-2007, 01:17 AM
I guess he needs to write something so he can keep claiming his cheques? *shrugs*

whottt
07-17-2007, 01:19 AM
Why not write about Sanikidze?

barbacoataco
07-17-2007, 01:20 AM
So if the Greek guy asks to be released from the contract, the Spurs get to keep the cash, not pay his salary, and they got rid of Butler's, without taking a contract on. But the price was the Rockets got Scola. Hopefully the Spurs use this money to sign someone.

whottt
07-17-2007, 01:20 AM
I don't need to read articles about previously announced ready to be announced announcements.

whottt
07-17-2007, 01:21 AM
So if the Greek guy asks to be released from the contract, the Spurs get to keep the cash, not pay his salary, and they got rid of Butler's, without taking a contract on. But the price was the Rockets got Scola. Hopefully the Spurs use this money to sign someone.

I hoping they still have a trade in the works...I hate stagnation.

BIG z
07-17-2007, 01:25 AM
I would be happy if they get Udoka and Petrus, or one of them. and somehow get Splitter her but, i will be fine if they just get Petrus.

Fast Dunk
07-17-2007, 02:03 AM
Ludden sucks...the summer is boring enough without him killing whatever little excitement there is.

Go to hell Ludden, and if you don't have something fun to say...best not to say anything at all. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

jaespur21
07-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Lets sign DROB

Mr. Body
07-17-2007, 02:39 AM
Predictable. The expected happens, Spanoulis (the Greek Jordan) stays where he said he would say and Whoottt is crying in his milk.

The question would be whether the Spurs actually thought they could bring him over.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-17-2007, 02:58 AM
Let him go with handshake and a hope that if he decides to come to the NBA in a year or two he looks us up.

timvp
07-17-2007, 03:52 AM
That sound you heard was 90% of whottt's theories going out the window. That other sound you heard was ploto realizing timvp was right about the Spurs being willing to keep him if he doesn't except a full buyout.

ShoogarBear
07-17-2007, 04:52 AM

Go to hell Ludden, and if you don't have something fun to say...best not to say anything at all.This isn't exciting? Holt Cat made money!!

ShoogarBear
07-17-2007, 04:58 AM
In other news, Ludden reports that Peter Holt just saved with Geico.

whottt
07-17-2007, 06:41 AM
That sound you heard was 90% of whottt's theories going out the window.

Hmmm...the basic premise of my theory is that the Spurs were indeed interested in Vassilis...this article does nothing to refute that. And in fact...seems to confirm they were interested in him.

My error is about him truly not wanting to play in the NBA...

I guess that extra 9 is starting to look better to him.

That other sound you heard was ploto realizing timvp was right about the Spurs being willing to keep him if he doesn't except a full buyout.

What's your next trick? A footrace against a man with no legs? Has ploto ever been right about anything? Bully.

timvp
07-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Hmmm...the basic premise of my theory is that the Spurs were indeed interested in Vassilis...this article does nothing to refute that. And in fact...seems to confirm they were interested in him.

My error is about him truly not wanting to play in the NBA...

I guess that extra 9 is starting to look better to him.Just admit when you are wrong for once.

It's not that hard. Even timvp has had to do so a couple of times.

What's your next trick? A footrace against a man with no legs? Has ploto ever been right about anything? Bully.She claims to have predicted the last 232,342,523,234 events in Spurs history. She's like you accept that I'm pretty sure you don't hate the Spurs.

whottt
07-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Just admit when you are wrong for once.

It's not that hard. Even timvp has had to do so a couple of times.

I'm wrong...Vassilis truly doesn't want to play in the NBA now. I don't think I'm wrong that the Spurs were interested in him, seriously interested in him...and probably figured the chance of signing him was better than anything else they were offered this season. Was there conspiracy? No...the fact that Ludden didn't mention that proves it...because I am certain if the Spurs were in any way attempting to circumvent league rules...Ludden would confirm it.

timvp
07-17-2007, 06:57 AM
I'm wrong...Vassilis truly doesn't want to play in the NBA now. I don't think I'm wrong that the Spurs were interested in him, seriously interested in him...and probably figured the chance of signing him was better than anything else they were offered this season. Was there conspiracy? No...the fact that Ludden didn't mention that proves it...because I am certain if the Spurs were in any way attempting to circumvent league rules...Ludden would confirm it.Even though you were being facetious, that is more true than you realize.

whottt
07-17-2007, 07:05 AM
I just want to know one thing...

When did the Spurs stop being interested in getting another PG?

And since when don't they try to dump guys in Pop's doghouse? Especially if there are dollars to be saved?

AFBlue
07-17-2007, 07:24 AM
I just want to know one thing...

When did the Spurs stop being interested in getting another PG?

And since when don't they try to dump guys in Pop's doghouse? Especially if there are dollars to be saved?

Probably when they realized they couldn't get rid of Beno.

Seriously, I think there's only one GM in the NBA who thinks this kid is worth the $1.7M he's being owed...and right now that GM is concerned about getting Mike Bibby, still has Eric Snow and Damon Jones' monstrous contracts on th books, and Boobie Gibson starting to show some promise.

Beno is either going to be part of a larger deal, or he's going to be someone's third or fourth option to fill a backup/third string PG role if the team hasn't already so by end of the off-season.

IMO, the Spurs will probably hold on to Beno this year, then draft his replacement next year.

Bottom Line: Beno is so damn untradeable that it's pointless to go after another PG and end up with 4 on the roster when every spot is crucial.

whottt
07-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Probably when they realized they couldn't get rid of Beno.

Seriously, I think there's only one GM in the NBA who thinks this kid is worth the $1.7M he's being owed...and right now that GM is concerned about getting Mike Bibby, still has Eric Snow and Damon Jones' monstrous contracts on th books, and Boobie Gibson starting to show some promise.

Beno is either going to be part of a larger deal, or he's going to be someone's third or fourth option to fill a backup/third string PG role if the team hasn't already so by end of the off-season.

IMO, the Spurs will probably hold on to Beno this year, then draft his replacement next year.

Bottom Line: Beno is so damn untradeable that it's pointless to go after another PG and end up with 4 on the roster when every spot is crucial.

He's in the final year of his contract...surely they could dump it...you can always move a PG with Beno's talent...the Spurs could have last year, they turned it down because it would have left them with just Parker and Vaughn able to play point.

Who do you think is better...Beno or Vassilis?

AFBlue
07-17-2007, 07:41 AM
He's in the final year of his contract...surely they could dump it...you can always move a PG with Beno's talent...the Spurs could have last year, they turned it down because it would have left them with just Parker and Vaughn able to play point.

After shooting 37% from the floor (29% from 3pt line) and being replaced by an over-30 journeyman, I'm not sure he could be moved....at least not right now.

Again, with better options still seemingly available and summer leagues still ongoing, I think teams aren't ready to committ $$$ to a backup/third-string type, which is unfortunately what Beno has become. Give it some time though, and I think there will be a place for him elsewhere.

Oh and about Beno not being moved last year....I said then that it was a mistake and I think the Spurs might have been a better team if the deal was done. But they won the championship with the team they had, so who am I to argue...

Who do you think is better...Beno or Vassilis?

With his confidence/comfort level where it is with the Spurs right now...

A life-size cardboard cutout of Beno is better than Beno.

Bottom Line: I think he can and should be moved, especially if the Spurs are talking about adding more payroll....but I'm not sure there's anyone in the market for him just yet.

whottt
07-17-2007, 07:44 AM
But the Rockets just traded a guy that doesn't even want to play in the NBA anymore, who had an even worse season statistically...how hard can it be to move a PG with Beno's talent?

SenorSpur
07-17-2007, 07:57 AM
There's no question the Spurs knew exactly what they doing on this trade. The intent was freeing up needed financial cap space and luxury tax avoidance.

AFBlue
07-17-2007, 07:57 AM
But the Rockets just traded a guy that doesn't even want to play in the NBA anymore, who had an even worse season statistically...how hard can it be to move a PG with Beno's talent?

The guy's main talent is shooting...and he shot 37% and 29% from the field and 3pt line respectively.

I understand his mental state playing for Pop and this team last year was not at its best...but it's hard to argue his talent when his production was extremely sub-par.

I think the issue of how "moveable" he is, doesn't just stop with his talent. You have to consider what the Spurs will want in return and what their plan will be post-Beno.

Obviously the Spurs will want a consolation pick and $$$ (via trade exception, etc.) and not a player with similar salary. So who is willing to give up their 2009/10 second round pick AND their $2M trade exception for this kid? No one as of yet...

Then comes the issue of who replaces Beno on the roster.

Do the Spurs then keep Barry to play third-string PG duty and fill another need with that roster spot or do they go out and sign a summer league guy like CJ Watson or Aaron Miles?

Because I seriously doubt the Spurs move Beno without having that post-Beno plan in place.

whottt
07-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Barry could do it...but Pop doesn't let Barry play PG unless it's the penultimate games of the finals...I guess because Barry's not good at it or something.

I agree that they aren't going to move Barry and Beno until there's another PG on the roster...that's why I think there was more to the trade for the Greek Kid than meets the eye. Because he makes them movable if they can sign him. At this point they just want someone to bring the ball up the court in emergency situations.

There were also rumors of trading Scola for Duhon and there was probably some truth to it for that reason.

ShoogarBear
07-17-2007, 08:26 AM
But the Rockets just traded a guy that doesn't even want to play in the NBA anymore, who had an even worse season statistically...how hard can it be to move a PG with Beno's talent?Uh, the Rockets just happened to trade the guy who doesn't even want to play in the NBA anymore . . . to the team that has Beno.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-17-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm wrong...Vassilis truly doesn't want to play in the NBA now. I don't think I'm wrong that the Spurs were interested in him, seriously interested in him...and probably figured the chance of signing him was better than anything else they were offered this season. Was there conspiracy? No...the fact that Ludden didn't mention that proves it...because I am certain if the Spurs were in any way attempting to circumvent league rules...Ludden would confirm it.

Come on whott. This is right out of the Spurs playbook.

"We made a trade that we thought we would get a player out of, but he just doesn't want to be here in America. Regrettably we'll agree to let him out of his deal..... oh and hey we just saved some money, funny how that worked out."

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-17-2007, 08:32 AM
The guy's main talent is shooting...and he shot 37% and 29% from the field and 3pt line respectively.

I understand his mental state playing for Pop and this team last year was not at its best...but it's hard to argue his talent when his production was extremely sub-par.

I think the issue of how "moveable" he is, doesn't just stop with his talent. You have to consider what the Spurs will want in return and what their plan will be post-Beno.

Obviously the Spurs will want a consolation pick and $$$ (via trade exception, etc.) and not a player with similar salary. So who is willing to give up their 2009/10 second round pick AND their $2M trade exception for this kid? No one as of yet...

Then comes the issue of who replaces Beno on the roster.

Do the Spurs then keep Barry to play third-string PG duty and fill another need with that roster spot or do they go out and sign a summer league guy like CJ Watson or Aaron Miles?

Because I seriously doubt the Spurs move Beno without having that post-Beno plan in place.

On the flip side, it is a contract year and someone may be looking for a one year backup PG rental with the knowledge that a) he's only on the books for one more year and b) that players in their contract year typically elevate their game.

ploto
07-17-2007, 08:46 AM
All it says is that they will let him go if he accepts NO money. No news there. It confirms what we all already knew- that traded for him with the belief that he would not come and they would never pay him a penny. It was, and will always be a trade about saving money. The Spurs assume their position because they believe that they can get him to agree not to come by merely letting him out of the contract. No where does it say they want him to come. They just want rid of him for nothing as opposed to for something. He did not force his hand. He could have threatened to come to see if he could get some money- but he chose not to and no one expected him to anyway.

temujin
07-17-2007, 12:47 PM
First mistake was trade Scola.

Second mistake was trade Scola to a serious rival.

Third mistake was to NOT include Udrih in the trade.

Fourth mistake is be happy with this Greek guy play in Greece. He is a heck of a player who WANTS to play, and just can't be compared to a player -Udrih- whose dream is NOT to play.

That's lot of mistakes for just one trade.

spurster
07-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Apparently, no other team in the NBA was willing to make a better trade with the Spurs. As far as getting rid of Beno, we can always hope that Beno gets homesick for Europe, too, though to hear it be told, he is having too much fun here.

ShoogarBear
07-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Who do you think is better...Beno or Vassilis?That would be a good vBookie: who will be a better player for the Spurs next year . . . Beno in SA or Vassilis in Greece? :lol

timvp
07-17-2007, 04:02 PM
All it says is that they will let him go if he accepts NO money. No news there. It confirms what we all already knew- that traded for him with the belief that he would not come and they would never pay him a penny. It was, and will always be a trade about saving money. The Spurs assume their position because they believe that they can get him to agree not to come by merely letting him out of the contract. No where does it say they want him to come. They just want rid of him for nothing as opposed to for something. He did not force his hand. He could have threatened to come to see if he could get some money- but he chose not to and no one expected him to anyway.
:lol

Do you not remember what you posted yesterday? You said that, like Macijauskas, the Spurs will have to buyout V-Span's contract. I pointed out the differences and you turned a blind eye.

I know this is an exciting time for you but try to remain smart enough to at least make sense from time to time.

ploto
07-17-2007, 05:28 PM
:lol

Do you not remember what you posted yesterday? You said that, like Macijauskas, the Spurs will have to buyout V-Span's contract. I pointed out the differences and you turned a blind eye.
I NEVER said the Spurs WOULD have to buy out his contract. NEVER. You might want to check your reading comprehension. You claimed the Spurs wanted Spanoulis and I said they did not. This article still gives no indication that the Spurs would prefer that he come and play for them over going away for free. What I said was that the situations were actually similar because in both cases both sides wanted out. The Hornets were stupid to pay Macijauskas anything when he just wanted to stay in Europe. The Spurs won't be.

Mr. Body
07-17-2007, 05:30 PM
timvp went through a brief period yesterday when he entertained the idea of Spanoulis coming over to the Spurs - despite the fact that he sucked . I think whottt got to him briefly.

Bruno
07-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Beno is a big waste of talent but I take a fat, partying, turnover-prone Beno Udrih over most of the 3rd string PG.
Given that Spurs haven't drafted a PG, I don't see them trading Beno unless there is a financial edge to do it.

timvp
07-17-2007, 05:39 PM
I NEVER said the Spurs WOULD have to buy out his contract. NEVER. You might want to check your reading comprehension. That's what I was telling you yesterday. Instead of dropping it, you kept going on Macijauskas rant talking about the similarities.

Why keep talking about that Croatian if you didn't think the Spurs would suffer the same fate?

I know this is an early Christmas for you but it'd be nice if you'd contribute more than just trying to be annoying.

The Hornets were stupid to pay Macijauskas anything when he just wanted to stay in Europe. The Spurs won't be.

Which was exactly what I was telling you yesterday.

At least troll with some substance.

Thanks.

timvp
07-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Spurs officials have yet to receive a formal request from Spanoulis, but they're expected to grant his release provided he gives up the $1.9 million he's due this season in the last guaranteed year of the contract.

For ploto and Mr. Body: read between the lines. The Spurs will release him PROVIDED that he gives up his money. Meaning that if he doesn't give up his money, the Spurs don't release him. For V-Span to not lose his money, he'd have to report to training camp.

So yes, V-Span's two options are:

1) Give up all his money.

2) Report to Spurs training camp.

And the reason why this stance works for the Spurs is because the Spurs wouldn't mind having V-Span in training camp.

Mr. Body
07-17-2007, 05:47 PM
For ploto and Mr. Body: read between the lines. The Spurs will release him PROVIDED that he gives up his money.

Why are you scolding? I've known this from the start. The trade makes sense only if Spanoulis stays in Europe and leaves his contract.

timvp
07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Why are you scolding? I've known this from the start. The trade makes sense only if Spanoulis stays in Europe and leaves his contract.Well, the trade doesn't make sense either way.

But the Spurs can play hardball with V-Span because if worst comes to worst, V-Span in training camp is something they can live with. And V-Span knows that. So that gives him zero leverage and it'll be why he can't ask for a buyout from the Spurs, like that Croatian got last year from the Hornets.

If V-Span was a guy the Spurs would never want on their team, he'd have a lot more leverage. He knows that there's a chance the Spurs would just keep him if he doesn't void his contract completely.

ploto
07-17-2007, 09:49 PM
the reason why this stance works for the Spurs is because the Spurs wouldn't mind having V-Span in training camp.
the reason why this stance works for the Spurs is because the Spurs know he will never show up for training camp

And I know that you know that Macijauskas is from Lithuania.

ploto
07-17-2007, 09:56 PM
I know this is an early Christmas for you but it'd be nice if you'd contribute more than just trying to be annoying.

Hey, for a few days I get to watch a bunch of Spurs fans be mad at the Spurs organization. :elephant

It's an unexpected treat that I know will be very short-lived.

I've learned to take my little joys wherever I can find them. Somehow pissing off a bunch of men brings me joy after a lifetime of letting them walk all over me. Thanks.

timvp
07-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Hey, for a few days I get to watch a bunch of Spurs fans be mad at the Spurs organization. :elephant

It's an unexpected treat that I know will be very short-lived.

I've learned to take my little joys wherever I can find them. Somehow pissing off a bunch of men brings me joy after a lifetime of letting them walk all over me. Thanks.:lol

Well, at least you can admit it.

I can at least respect that :tu

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2007, 10:24 PM
If Spanniloououuususus was willing to reciprocate, he could choose to keep the Spurs in the dark about whether he would actually fulfill his contract or not. That would screw up the Spurs' efforts in free agency (assuming they are deathly afraid of the Lux Tax Monster) as undoubtedly they would not want to risk a significant signing if Spannillououiuiuiss could possibly show up next season.

Anyways, part of me wishes that Spannnillououiuiss shows up next season, rips up the league, and everyone forgets about the trade. I know my liver hopes so.

whottt
07-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Come on whott. This is right out of the Spurs playbook.

"We made a trade that we thought we would get a player out of, but he just doesn't want to be here in America. Regrettably we'll agree to let him out of his deal..... oh and hey we just saved some money, funny how that worked out."

Yeah..but do you see how they could save even more money if Vassilis decided to play ball?

That's the point I'm making.

Vasillis and Udoka $$$$<$$$$ Beno and Barry.

Plus they can get something for Beno and Barry in trade...and get rid of two guys in Pop's doghouse.

Think about it...

Think beyond the trade, Vassilis showing up can save them more money. And clear out Pop's dohouse...and arguably improve the team. That's my point...if you are going to say they are worried about the bottom line...then carry your own logic further.

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Dump Barry to Seattle for nothing and replace him with Marcus Williams or James White. Cheaper.

whottt
07-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Dump Barry to Seattle for nothing and replace him with Marcus Williams or James White. Cheaper.

Yeah but..

A. Allegedly they offered Udoka a contract. For less than Barry makes.
B. That still leaves Beno on the team....and in Pop's doghouse, futher than Barry has ever been. And Vassilis is better(he's at least in shape)...

Who's cheaper?

You paint a negative picture but you refuse to acknowledge it contains positive elements...when it obviously does.

If you are going to claim the stance is a logical one...at least make sure it's logical.

Regardless of whether or not Holt is cheap...Holt is cheap, and Pop and RC aren't idiots.

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2007, 10:46 PM
So they bring in CJ Watson or some other never been to be the 3rd point. Vagisil stays in Greece.

whottt
07-17-2007, 10:51 PM
So they bring in CJ Watson or some other never been to be the 3rd point. Vagisil stays in Greece.

Possible, definitely an option...but probably not what they would want to happen in the best case scenario.

And you also refuse to acknowledge that if they can't get a SF they are happy with this season...Butler's contract and the Vassilis buyout, leave them in a better situation to do so next season.

Even if you are right...and we go into the season with nothing more than Williams or White and Watson...and Barry and Beno gone...according to you, Barry and Beno suck ass anyway...and whether they do or not...Pop tries not to play them so it's a redundant point any way. And trading them out for Watson and Will/White isn't going to make much of a difference.

Sorry but I definitely see a desire to put as negative of a slant on this as possible on your part.

mystargtr34
07-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Well, the trade doesn't make sense either way.

But the Spurs can play hardball with V-Span because if worst comes to worst, V-Span in training camp is something they can live with. And V-Span knows that. So that gives him zero leverage and it'll be why he can't ask for a buyout from the Spurs, like that Croatian got last year from the Hornets.

If V-Span was a guy the Spurs would never want on their team, he'd have a lot more leverage. He knows that there's a chance the Spurs would just keep him if he doesn't void his contract completely.

Which 'Croatian' are you talking about - Macijasukas? he isnt Croat. Or am i mixed up?

MannyIsGod
07-18-2007, 12:44 AM
I don't understand why you'd have such a hard time with men, Ploto. You seem like the kind of woman every man wants.

milkyway21
07-18-2007, 02:48 AM
may I ask:

Who is Dell Demps in S.A.? Is he in any way connected to the Spurs organization?

ploto
07-18-2007, 07:56 AM
I don't understand why you'd have such a hard time with men, Ploto. You seem like the kind of woman every man wants.
I know you think you are being funny- but you have no idea what I am like in real life. This board is my alter-ego, my evil twin, so to speak. Kind of like actors who tell you it is fun to play certain parts- I play my part on here. It's much cheaper than therapy and very cathartic.

Bruno
07-18-2007, 05:39 PM
http://www.superbasket.gr/?c=286&a=4911

If I understood well babelfish :
Spurs don't want to let Spanoulis go while Spanoulis really want to play in Greece next year. Spanoulis' agent will go in SA next week to ask them to change their decision about Spanoulis.

Spanoulis will have a €1.5M salary (after tax) next year if he plays in Greece. He will earn more money in europe than in nba.

ducks
07-18-2007, 05:43 PM
thanks
intersting

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 05:44 PM

Spurs don't want to let Spanoulis go while Spanoulis really want to play in Greece next year. Spanoulis' agent will go in SA next week to ask them to change their decision about Spanoulis.

Of course.

Mr. Body
07-18-2007, 05:54 PM

That's hilarious. It's like the Spurs are saying to Scola's agent: If you really want to see a team hold a player hostage "in the land of liberty," check this one out!! :lol

waly.mg
07-18-2007, 05:55 PM
First mistake was trade Scola.

Second mistake was trade Scola to a serious rival.

Third mistake was to NOT include Udrih in the trade.

Fourth mistake is be happy with this Greek guy play in Greece. He is a heck of a player who WANTS to play, and just can't be compared to a player -Udrih- whose dream is NOT to play.

That's lot of mistakes for just one trade.

The correct trade could be:

Trade Buttler for Spanoulis (Nothing for Nothing)

and Now, trade Scola for Matt Bonner

spurschick
07-18-2007, 06:10 PM
It will be interesting to see how Spanoulis plays against the Spurs when they play Panathinaikos in the preseason.

SequSpur
07-18-2007, 06:48 PM
no it won't.

ploto
07-18-2007, 10:38 PM

Seems so odd after Ludden reported that the Spurs would let him go if he gave up all his money.

ploto
07-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I just want to see Sani play for Panathinaikos. I read they extended his contract for 2 more seasons. Another Euro who was drafted but who will never come to the NBA.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Seems so odd after Ludden reported that the Spurs would let him go if he gave up all his money.

How so? Assuming that Spannniolllluououous wants out of his NBA contract the first thing you do (assuming you want to minimize what you have to pay him in the event he never plays for you) is to feign interest in him joining your team.

ducks
07-18-2007, 11:46 PM
he was willing to get houston 350k back for his buyout
he better be willing to do that to the spurs

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 12:23 AM
he was willing to get houston 350k back for his buyout
he better be willing to do that to the spurs

If he walks away for nothing then they keep $1.89 mil.

remingtonbo2001
07-19-2007, 01:40 AM
may I ask:

Who is Dell Demps in S.A.? Is he in any way connected to the Spurs organization?

He played with the Spurs for one or two seasons, not too sure. It was a long time ago though. Maybe 95? That's a shot in the dark guess

ploto
07-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Dell Demps is the Director of Player Personnel for the Spurs- has been for about 2 years.

magic
07-19-2007, 08:46 AM
I just want to see Sani play for Panathinaikos. I read they extended his contract for 2 more seasons. Another Euro who was drafted but who will never come to the NBA.

Becirovic did a nice job last year, but the best player of Panathinaikos is Diamantidis (best all-around player in Europe) along with Mike Batiste (best PF in Europe, better than Scola).