PDA

View Full Version : Garnett wants to stay in Minnesota despite rumors

NBA Junkie
07-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Apparently, Garnett was kept abreast of the possibility of a potential trade, but he prefer that he stay in Minnesota despite the "rebuilding job" that the team is udergoing at the current time.

Not so sure it's ideal for the long term future of the franchise, but it's something he wants. The question is why?

http://www.twincities.com/dailydose/ci_6391619?nclick_check=1

Findog
07-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Any team that takes him on is going to pay have to pay that trade kicker, while gutting their team sending back the contracts to make it work. He can opt out next year and go to an elite team for a paycut. He'd be passing up too much money in the shortterm. I guess he's trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Even if Minny lets him walk for nothing, they're not going anywhere with him, so they might as well get a decent cap situation out of it. 35-40 wins isn't getting them a realistic shot at a top-3 pick, nor is it good enough for them to have the assets to get to contender status.

NBA Junkie
07-17-2007, 10:45 AM
I just don't think he's going to opt out. I wouldn't even be surprised if he signs an extension to remain in Minnesota.

Everybody talks about how he could go somewhere for less- why not Minnesota? By signing a contract for less money it would give the team to sign a free agent who could help him and the youngsters that are in place.

SpursDynasty
07-17-2007, 11:18 AM
When are these players going to learn (Garnett, Billups, etc.) that they're not going to win the damn championship in their current situations?

monosylab1k
07-17-2007, 02:28 PM
When are these players going to learn (Garnett, Billups, etc.) that they're not going to win the damn championship in their current situations?
Billups already has a championship.

TheNextGen
07-17-2007, 03:39 PM
he's gonna opt out and test free agency....and he will be with #24. :fro

JamStone
07-17-2007, 04:44 PM
If he opts out after next season, he'll likely go to the Lakers. Can Kobe last through one more treacherous season of suck with the current Lakers? The only other places it would make sense for KG to go to is Chicago where he grew up or Detroit where he has several connections in Saunders and Billups and the team is set up for short term but immediate success with his addition. But, I can really see him as a Los Angeles Laker more than anything.

lotr1trekkie
07-17-2007, 04:55 PM
That's why he couldn't get out of a JC

Dirk41MVP
07-19-2007, 12:50 AM
That article is pure BS, 1/2 of that page is about the twins, what's that got to do with KG ?..

. If KG really said that, why not have it in the front page of the newspaper ? isn't that pretty huge news in Minnesota ?, why have the owner quote KG and not have KG HIMSELF say that ?... The wolves want to trade Garnett, they are not going anywhere with him or without him, might as well stop paying him his 20+ mill a year.

The real problem is every team that can trade for him (only a handful) are probably low balling them like hell. With this, the owner is basically trying to get more leverage on the trade talk, which imo won't lead them anywhere anyways because the numbers don't lie... They are a tax-paying franchise, despite being one of the worse teams in basketball. KG doesn't make them a contender (and will never do so even if he stays there), they don't fill up the seats anymore (they are ranked 5th or 6th in terms of lowest ticket sales) and they have no future. They are "semi-rebuilding" and that crap will never get them anywhere...

Besides, anybody remember A-Rod being named the Rangers's captain and all of a sudden getting traded ?, that's right, owners/executives/management lie ALL the time. It's a business of leverage, see who you can take advantage of...

KG WILL BE TRADED

venitian navigator
07-19-2007, 02:06 AM
I think that, after all, staiyng in Minnesota is not a bad idea for KG.
If you look at the roster, I think they are just one/two little pieces (available via trade or free agency) away from becoming a serious play off contender with title ambitions.

If they are able to trade, for exemple, Hudson (that wants to be traded) for Mohammed (thay have just Billups like point guard and Nazi is not gonna play in Detroit, expecially if they re-sign Webber for cheap...and I think they're gonna do so, ''cause he's still a better player than Nazi) the line up would be :

PM Foye - Jaric
G Brewer - Mc Cants
F Davis - Hassell
PF Garnett - Howard (G.Smith)
C Mohammed - Blount (Madsen - Richards)

Not bad at all, and complete in any part...at least, more than a lot of other nba teams.
If they also grab another decent piece in the back court (ex. Brevin Knight via free agency ; Cassell via trade) I don't see big weaknesses...

MrChug
07-19-2007, 02:33 AM
Wow...that Minny team is SHITTY!! Jeez..I feel bad for my sig now!

OldDirtMcGirt
07-19-2007, 02:37 AM
KG is going to opt out and sign with Phoenix next year, as we're do to clear over twenty million in cap space.

NBA Junkie
07-19-2007, 03:11 AM
If KG really said that, why not have it in the front page of the newspaper ? isn't that pretty huge news in Minnesota ?

No. Huge news would be if he actually was traded. Most of the rumors you heard were likely thrown out there by the blowhards at ESPN and other writers across the country. Anything else is status quo.

why have the owner quote KG and not have KG HIMSELF say that ?...

That's not the way he conducts himself. He very well could be traded or may be asking for one. He's never been one to voice his complaints with the media. He has had his frustrations aired, but that was only when he granted John Thompson to do an in-depth interview with him for TNT. He'll never voluntarily air his grievances with the media.

The real problem is every team that can trade for him (only a handful) are probably low balling them like hell. With this, the owner is basically trying to get more leverage on the trade talk, which imo won't lead them anywhere anyways because the numbers don't lie... They are a tax-paying franchise, despite being one of the worse teams in basketball. KG doesn't make them a contender (and will never do so even if he stays there), they don't fill up the seats anymore (they are ranked 5th or 6th in terms of lowest ticket sales) and they have no future. They are "semi-rebuilding" and that crap will never get them anywhere...

I don't disagree with these statements. However, the Wolves are actually playing this smart by not trading him just for the sake of making a trade. He's still a franchise player with a lot of game left. They better get some pieces back that help them long term unlike what the Lakers did when they dealt O'Neal away for inconsistent talent instead of draft picks and expiring contracts.

KG WILL BE TRADED

It's hard to say. Unless an offer comes along that really helps the Wolves, I don't see it happening. Garnett likes Minnesota, and remains loyal to the team despite all of the bad moves that management has made over the years. I think the fans outside of Minnesota don't really know how many ties he has to that area. He's even gone on record as saying that he's open to staying there and being an influence on the younger guys they're bringing in.

If he goes, it won't be after this season. It will be in 2009. I don't see him opting out of $24 million next season, especially for lesser money on a team thats not guaranteed to bring home a championship.

spursreport
07-19-2007, 03:41 AM
I think that, after all, staiyng in Minnesota is not a bad idea for KG.
If you look at the roster, I think they are just one/two little pieces (available via trade or free agency) away from becoming a serious play off contender with title ambitions.

If they are able to trade, for exemple, Hudson (that wants to be traded) for Mohammed (thay have just Billups like point guard and Nazi is not gonna play in Detroit, expecially if they re-sign Webber for cheap...and I think they're gonna do so, ''cause he's still a better player than Nazi) the line up would be :

PM Foye - Jaric
G Brewer - Mc Cants
F Davis - Hassell
PF Garnett - Howard (G.Smith)
C Mohammed - Blount (Madsen - Richards)

Not bad at all, and complete in any part...at least, more than a lot of other nba teams.
If they also grab another decent piece in the back court (ex. Brevin Knight via free agency ; Cassell via trade) I don't see big weaknesses...

:dizzy The wolves will be lucky to even be playoff contenders next season or in the near future. So many teams in the west are much much better than the Wolves. Face it. That franchise is not going to be elite especially with KG having a few seasons left of his prime.

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2007, 03:54 AM
from day 1, this guy was all about money, wtf is goin to quit on 40m remainin???

fuk him and kgfans and there lame excuses in discussions with comparison with TD who is superior to GOD.

Dirk41MVP
07-22-2007, 05:23 PM
They better get some pieces back that help them long term unlike what the Lakers did when they dealt O'Neal away for inconsistent talent instead of draft picks and expiring contracts.

hard to consider lamar odom (all-star-like stats) and caron butler (all-star) inconsistent... Lakers management screwed up by trading an all-star in butler for a chump, bust, inconsistent player like K. Brown... Had they kept butler, they would have 3 all-stars right now, or at least 3 players that put all-star like stats. Not some overpaid, loser like brown...

exstatic
07-22-2007, 06:36 PM
I think that not only has KG realized that he isn't an A player, he's terrified that if he goes elsewhere, he may be found out not to be a B player and winner in a supporting role.

lrrr
07-22-2007, 08:06 PM
one of Minny's biggest mistakes was to sign KG to about twice what he was actually worth. heck, why wouldn't you be loyal to an organization who rewarded you so richly for getting past the first round once?

if KG was all about winning as he would like us to believe, did he really need the 20M a year extension after that gargantuan contract he just finished collecting?

Medvedenko
07-22-2007, 10:39 PM
KG's dumb....

BradLohaus
07-23-2007, 01:59 AM
KG is going to opt out and sign with Phoenix next year, as we're do to clear over twenty million in cap space.

Is Marion going opt out of the 17M he's due in 08-09? He'll never see that much in a year again, not to mention from a title contender.

itzsoweezee
07-23-2007, 02:10 AM
I think that not only has KG realized that he isn't an A player, he's terrified that if he goes elsewhere, he may be found out not to be a B player and winner in a supporting role.

that's exactly what i was thinking. he's kind of a pussy when the pressure's on. he's not the type to upset a stable/comfortable situation for the high-pressure expectations of going deep into the playoffs.

OldDirtMcGirt
07-23-2007, 02:10 AM
Is Marion going opt out of the 17M he's due in 08-09? He'll never see that much in a year again, not to mention from a title contender.

I think that he wants a long term deal. His game is predicated on athleticism, and he'll be gunning for a five to six year contract. Besides, Rashard Lewis just got a max deal, and even Gerald Wallace is making like 12 million a year. I think that Shawn can still get over 15.

Plus, he still wants to be considered the "man", and is tired of getting "disrespected" by the Phoenix media and living in Nash and Amare's shadows.

OldDirtMcGirt
07-23-2007, 02:12 AM
that's exactly what i was thinking. he's kind of a pussy when the pressure's on. he's not the type to upset a stable/comfortable situation for the high-pressure expectations of going deep into the playoffs.

Not really. He just realizes that any trade will come with the understanding that he'll sign a long term extension with the club, and that by trading for him, they'll probably have to gut their rosters to the point where they won't be able to make a legitimate championship run. It would just be easier to opt out next year and have his choice of where he'll go.