PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein comments about Scola deal in the chat

Spurs Brazil
07-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Mike, San Antonio: What do you think of the Spurs' Scola/Butler trade? I thought they gave both of those assets up for too little (nothing in fact).

Marc Stein: (11:14 AM ET ) They definitely did not want to trade him to Houston. Scola was close to going to Cleveland in that Bibby three-way. But SA simply felt it could not pass up on overall savings of $7 million so took the gamble of sending Scola to a neighbor. The Spurs were a mere $200K over the tax line last season, but that meant they didn't receive the payment ($1.8 million for '06-07) that teams got back for staying under the tax line.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=16556

CosmicCowboy
07-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Holt: "Hey RC, I heard the new lux tax numbers are back...when do we get our check?"

RC: "uhhhh...*gulp*...we don't get one this year..."

Holt: What the fuck are you talking about? You're kidding, right?

RC: uhhhh...*gulp*...we miscalculated a little and were $200,000 high...

Holt: "you are SHITTIN me!" How the hell did THAT happen?"

RC: "I'm still not sure...Stern said it was something about LeBron merchandise sales being off because of the finals only going 4 games..."

Holt: "Well BULLSHIT! I was counting on that check!"

Holt: "Dump a salary for next year and make damn sure this BULLSHIT doesn't happen again...use Scola as a sweetener if you have to, but get it done TODAY!"

Oh, Gee!!
07-17-2007, 12:13 PM
prolly happened like dat

samikeyp
07-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Scola was close to going to Cleveland in that Bibby three-way.

Have we ever heard what the Spurs would have received in that deal?

WalterBenitez
07-17-2007, 01:07 PM
COrrect me If I am wrong we send Scola to Houston beacuse of tax issues .... OMG

spursrock123
07-17-2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl...ce/4973103.html

July 16, 2007, 11:25PM
With Rockets GM Morey, it's love at second sight

By RICHARD JUSTICE

...I'm guessing one of the factors in Jeff Van Gundy's departure was his belief that the Rockets weren't going to move ahead of the Spurs, Mavericks, Suns and Jazz in the near future.

Perhaps they haven't moved ahead, but they've closed the gap after he added a starting power forward, potential starting point guard and a player good enough to carry a team into and through the playoffs.

Morey cautioned me against getting carried away, but after I explained to him that caution didn't sell newspapers, he understood.

"We're not done with the roster yet," he said, "but there's going to be some adjustment. We've got a new coach, a new offense and a new defense. The key is to be where we want to be for the playoffs."

He seems likely to add a veteran backup point guard and center, but the heavy lifting is done.

Introducing Scola

First, there's Luis Scola, who'll be introduced to the media this afternoon at Toyota Center. He's Morey's most important acquisition, a 6-9, 245-pound power forward who is 27 years old and seemingly ready to contribute in the NBA. Yao Ming, meet your new best friend.

Once Rashard Lewis was off the board, Morey figured he'd be forced to settle for Joe Smith or another veteran. Instead, he ended up with someone in the prime of his career. He got lucky in that San Antonio considered him expendable, but he deserves all kinds of credit for pursuing every avenue.

"We saw him as one of, if not the, best options," Morey said. "He's a bit unique. He uses his body to finish around the basket. He's got a midrange game and a great IQ for the passing game. He has a lot of heart. That group of Argentinians he grew up with is as tough as nails and knows how to fit into teams. They're winners. As excited as I am about acquiring him, I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone more excited than he is. This has been a dream of his."

And there's guard Mike James, acquired in a trade that also allowed Morey to get out from under Juwan Howard's contract. If you watched Rafer Alston and Luther Head combine to shoot 33 percent from the field in the playoffs, you know why Morey wanted James.

Alston will begin training camp as the incumbent point guard, but he'll be pushed by James and rookie Aaron Brooks, who opened eyes with his terrific summer league play. Brooks is unlikely to play significant minutes his rookie season, but in a league where penetration and perimeter offense are musts at that position, he could make Morey look good.

Bonzi in the mix

Finally, there's Bonzi Wells. If he's in shape, if he's motivated, if he keeps the pouting and tantrums to a minimum, he could be a huge part of whatever Rick Adelman accomplishes his first season.

Wells is a tough, relentless presence around the basket. At his best, he's among the toughest NBA players to defend. Scola gives the Rockets size and a force to take some of the pressure off Yao, but a Shane Battier-Wells-Tracy McGrady lineup is a perfect secondary option for Adelman's faster pace.

Another thing about Morey: He's extremely confident. He believes his complex system of evaluating players through statistical analysis and more traditional methods will pay off.

He knows fans are cynical. He knows they're tired of waiting for playoff success. Last spring's failure prompted some to believe it'll never happen with this core group. Morey thinks otherwise.

He also knows that everything that happens between now and April is a dress rehearsal for what's important. So far, so good.

Add insult to injury....

vander
07-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Holt: "Hey RC, I heard the new lux tax numbers are back...when do we get our check?"

RC: "uhhhh...*gulp*...we don't get one this year..."

Holt: What the fuck are you talking about? You're kidding, right?

RC: uhhhh...*gulp*...we miscalculated a little and were $200,000 high...

Holt: "you are SHITTIN me!" How the hell did THAT happen?"

RC: "I'm still not sure...Stern said it was something about LeBron merchandise sales being off because of the finals only going 4 games..."

Holt: "Well BULLSHIT! I was counting on that check!"

Holt: "Dump a salary for next year and make damn sure this BULLSHIT doesn't happen again...use Scola as a sweetener if you have to, but get it done TODAY!"

:lol Awesome

Mr. Body
07-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Houston bought a Porsche for about $20 because its owner wanted to get rid of the tractor they've had since last summer.