PDA

View Full Version : Blazers re-sign Outlaw to three-year deal

Spurs Brazil
07-17-2007, 05:15 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2007/07/blazers_resign_outlaw_to_three.html

Outlaw, signing the 22-year-old small forward to a three-year contract Tuesday afternoon.

Details of the deal were not immediately available but Bill Duffy, Outlaw's agent, told The Oregonian that the contract is worth roughly $12 million. Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard refused comment.

"Travis is really excited with where the team is going, with the direction and enthusiasm, and he wants to play a great role in that and continue to develop," Duffy said. "Quite frankly, Travis was not pushing me that hard to look in other directions."

Duffy said "three or four" teams expressed interest in Outlaw, a restricted free agent who averaged 9.6 points, 3.2 rebounds and 22.9 minutes per game last season. The 6-foot-9 player, who will enter his fifth professional season in 2007-08, did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.

Outlaw, who was drafted by the Blazers out of high school with the 23rd overall pick in 2003, is expected to compete for the starting small forward position next season. He has started 14 games in his career.

Because Outlaw was a restricted free agent, the Blazers had the opportunity to match offers from other teams, and Pritchard and coach Nate McMillan had said for weeks that they planned to match any such offer. Turns out that won't be necessary.

"He has a chance to start and solidify himself," Duffy said. "He's comfortable with Nate and they're comfortable with him. It's a good fit."

-- Joe Freeman

BacktoBasics
07-17-2007, 05:16 PM
My dreams are dashed

timvp
Decent contract for Outlaw. I don't think he'd be a good fit on the Spurs but that contract is more than fair for Portland.

Mr. Body
Pretty decent deal. A team could have had him with the MLE, but Portland might have matched that, too.

Of course this is significant for Udoka.

Spurs Brazil
What are your thoughts on the signing? Is Outlaw worth the contract? Is he Trail Blazers starting small forward? Is Kevin Pritchard done yet? By my calculations, the Blazers roster now stands at 15, so does that mean that Ime Udoka, regardless of how much he's willing to sign for, is a goner? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/blazers/2007/07/blazers_resign_travis_outlaw.html

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Now we have Udoka to ourselves. :smokin

AFBlue
07-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Good signing for Portland....and potentially good news for the Spurs.

Now that Portland is essentially out of the running, the Spurs can attack this issue full steam without as much pressure to outbid for his services.

There is, however, still reports of at least one other interested team.

Darkwaters
07-17-2007, 06:08 PM
What are your thoughts on the signing? Is Outlaw worth the contract? Is he Trail Blazers starting small forward? Is Kevin Pritchard done yet? By my calculations, the Blazers roster now stands at 15, so does that mean that Ime Udoka, regardless of how much he's willing to sign for, is a goner? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/blazers/2007/07/blazers_resign_travis_outlaw.html

I imagine the Blazers might look to dump at least one PG. They really have no need for Jack, Green, Rodriguez, Blake and the rights to Koponen. I could see Jack being traded and freeing up a roster spot.

Mr. Body
07-17-2007, 06:09 PM
There is, however, still reports of at least one other interested team.

There'd have to be, otherwise the Spurs'll get him at he 2/yr $3.8M amount.

mystargtr34
07-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Am i the only one a little disappointed we didnt make a serious go at Outlaw?

AFBlue
07-17-2007, 06:41 PM

Not sure it was ever realistic...

And though he had the size and athleticism to be that long 3/small ball 4 answer we all dream of, he really didn't have the game. He prefers to play the perimeter and doesn't really rebound that well despite his size.

He can fly up and down the court and block a rediculous amount of shots though....

mystargtr34
07-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeh i could never see him fitting into a flowing team offense, hes more of an athlete but i perhaps it was worth a go.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-17-2007, 06:52 PM

Probably. He's restricted, all we could have offered was the MLE and Portland would have matched (while locking up the funds of the Spurs for two weeks).

mystargtr34
07-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Ah yes and they would have waited every second of that 14 days to lock up the Spurs funds to work out something to keep Ime

Mr. Body
07-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Isn't the RFA waiting period one week now?

mystargtr34
07-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I thought it was 7 days before the new CBA

AFBlue
07-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I imagine the Blazers might look to dump at least one PG. They really have no need for Jack, Green, Rodriguez, Blake and the rights to Koponen. I could see Jack being traded and freeing up a roster spot.

I agree that one should go and my guess is that Jack is that guy, but if the Blazers like them all, they don't necessarily have to rush to make the decision. It might be ugly at times, but a couple of their PGs have the size to play off-guard at times.

On Udoka....I'm not sure the Blazers would free up a roster spot expressly to re-sign him. They seem to be making moves for the future and frankly this guy doesn't seem to fit that mold.