PDA

View Full Version : 'Disappointed' Pietrus waits for Warriors to make decision

ducks
07-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Not even the calm waters of the Caribbean are soothing Mickael Pietrus' angst at how the Warriors are handling his restricted free agency.

Nearly three weeks after teams were allowed to begin negotiating with player representatives, Pietrus said Tuesday that the Warriors have neither actively engaged his agents about a new multiyear contract nor pursued several sign-and-trade scenarios that other clubs have broached.

"I'm just a little disappointed that the Golden State Warriors haven't seriously discussed keeping me in Oakland while other teams" are interested, Pietrus said from his island home in Guadeloupe.

"They've been talking to my agent ... but the thing is, they haven't discussed if they want me, if I'm a part of the future. I like coach Don Nelson, I like Chris Mullin, but right now, their decision seems to be holding me back."

Golden State has the right to match any offer Pietrus receives after extending a one-year tender worth about $3.5 million last month. But recent talks have been unproductive with agents Happy Walters and Bill McCandless, who say they are stuck in "purgatory" while the Warriors contemplate their next roster move.

It's a Catch-22 familiar to most restricted free-agency cases: Interested teams are reluctant to tie up salary-cap space by signing players to offer sheets, then waiting out the seven-day period his original team has to match.

Yet unlike Cleveland's vow to retain free-agent forward Anderson Varejao, the Warriors have made no such public or private proclamation about Pietrus, leaving the forward in limbo for the time being.

"Mickael's biggest cause of unease is that to date, what we have are teams saying, 'We'd like to do this,' " McCandless said. "And the Warriors are saying, 'Well, we need to think about it.'

"The question is how long you need to think about it. Do the Warriors need another week to think about it or another month to think about it? Let's try to come to some" resolution.

"Others teams, Miami, Cleveland, Dallas, they've been asking about a sign-and-trade that could be interesting for me, so I'm just waiting," said Pietrus, who didn't hide his affection for the trio of teams.

Part of the issue, however, is that the Heat, Cavaliers and Mavericks are all toeing the luxury-tax line, so it's unlikely they would sign Pietrus outright with all or part of their midlevel exception and have his salary effectively doubled through tax penalties. (SPURS ARE NOT THE ONLY CHEAP ASS TEAMS I GUESS HUH!)The Warriors also have little incentive to work out a sign-and-trade if they don't think it will benefit the team.

McCandless says he understands the Warriors' strategy in waiting out the market, but remains frustrated by their noncommittal behavior. Golden State officials declined comment through a team spokesperson.

Briefly: Mark Bartelstein, who represents free-agent forward James Posey, said Tuesday there was nothing new to report after the Warriors muddled the status of Pietrus and unrestricted free agent Matt Barnes by meeting with Posey in Las Vegas on Friday. "We're just talking to a bunch of people," Bartelstein said. Meanwhile, Dan Fegan, who represents Barnes and has a long history with the Warriors, was tight-lipped about where the ongoing negotiations stood with Mullin. "He's professional and deliberate, and we're working through the Matt Barnes situation in that manner," Fegan said.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PGJUR24791.DTL

MoSpur
07-18-2007, 09:28 AM
You just beat me to it.

MoSpur
07-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Would the Spurs be able to sign him? Do they have the mid-level?

AFBlue
07-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Would the Spurs be able to sign him? Do they have the mid-level?

I believe they still have the full mid-level, but they would certainly have to have a plan in place to dump Barry for $$$ or a trade exception if they commit to spending significant MLE-type dollars.

IMO, the most likely scenario in which Pietrus ends up a Spur is if he signs the 1yr tender from the Warriors and becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent next summer, when the Spurs might just have a little more cash to play with.

Streakyshooter08
07-18-2007, 09:35 AM
They have their MLE but I guess they won't use it completely due to lux tax issues... I would like to have him if the Spurs lose out on Udoka/ Barnes but he might be too expensive...

ploto
07-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Supposedly, Miami could be interested in Pietrus and GS in Posey.

worm9110
07-18-2007, 11:11 AM
yeah I heard Miami is really interested in Pietrus....I would love to have him on the Spurs rosters...is Matt Barnes still avaible?

AFBlue
07-18-2007, 11:16 AM
yeah I heard Miami is really interested in Pietrus....I would love to have him on the Spurs rosters...is Matt Barnes still avaible?

Yes Barnes is still available. He might actually fit a need more than Pietrus and come in cheaper as well...

But all the current talk is about Udoka.

worm9110
07-18-2007, 11:45 AM
thanks for the info PT, hey do you know what going on with Mevin Ely , is he leaving or what ...that a roster spot right there...

AFBlue
07-18-2007, 12:44 PM
thanks for the info PT, hey do you know what going on with Mevin Ely , is he leaving or what ...that a roster spot right there...

The fact that there's been absolutely nothing about him in the SA news or anywhere else for that matter seems to suggest he's not getting brought back.

After all...it seems the Spurs made it a point to sign all of their priority role players right off the bat.

So, yes I think Melvin Ely's spot is up for grabs...

The Spurs also have yet to fill Butler's vacated spot...so there's another one.

Also, White doesn't have a fully guaranteed contract and Williams isn't technically under contract as of yet either...but being as though both are cheap development options and the Spurs are already over the lux tax threshold, I think the odds are in favor of them returning.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2007, 12:53 PM
...but being as though both are cheap development options and the Spurs are already over the lux tax threshold, I think the odds are in favor of them returning.

Are they over it? I thought they were under it after getting rid of Butler and expecting not to have to pay Spanoulis.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Supposedly Memphis is looking at Udoka and Barnes too.

AFBlue
07-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Are they over it? I thought they were under it after getting rid of Butler and expecting not to have to pay Spanoulis.

Here is a post by Solid D which references a post by Bruno....so I guess it's third-hand :lol

But I still trust it...

A couple of things to note and reiterate...from the above related thread on the Spurs current salary position:

A post Butler analysis of the luxury tax situation:

Tim Duncan -- $19,014,188
Tony Parker -- $10,500,000
Manu Ginobili -- $9,079,811
Brent Barry -- $5,544,370
Bruce Bowen -- $4,125,000
Robert Horry -- $3,630,000
Fabricio Oberto -- $3,167,420
Michael Finley -- $3,103,000
Francisco Elson -- $3,000,000
Matt Bonner -- $2,750,000
Beno Udrih -- $1,747,096
Jacque Vaughn - $1,219,590 ($770,610 against the luxury tax)

$66,431495 against the tax for 12 players
The Luxury tax threshold is $67.865M, Spurs are $1.43M.
Mahinmi should cost $938,760 (he could cost less but it's unlikely).
Marcus Williams cost $427,163.
James White cost $770,610.

So if Spurs wants to go under the tax and if they sign Mahinmi, they had to waive James White but they can keep Marcus Williams.

Excellent picture of where the Spurs are....provided Spanoulis' $1.9M salary is eradicated. Let's just take Ian Mahinmi, James White and Marcus Williams out of the picture momentarily and look at the depth chart:

Parker.......Finley........Bowen.........Duncan... ......Oberto
Vaughn.....Ginobili.........................Horry. ..........Elson
Udrih........Barry..........................Bonner ...................

Now, fill the holes in at the backup 3 and 5 positions without going over the the Lux Tax threshold. You have $1.4M to work with, without Mahinmi, White or Williams.

Moving Barry would solve the cap issues.

I guess that would actually require another team wanting Barry.

But his price tag really isn't that high, and I think he's still capable of bringing a lot to a team.

Chopper, timvp and others have pointed this out but if you want a SF like a Matt Barnes or Ime Udoka, you are going to need to move somebody under contract and Beno alone ($1.7M) won't do it.

Technically as of now, with their guaranteed 12 contracts they're under the salary cap. But if they add they add only White, Williams, and Mahinmi they'll be barely over.

That seems like the logical thing to do...but if you replace Mahinmi or White with a $3M contract you're talking about most or all of it being taxed.

Unless they get rid of Barry that is...

Kori Ellis
07-18-2007, 01:00 PM
$66,431495 against the tax for 12 players
The Luxury tax threshold is $67.865M, Spurs are $1.43M.

So the Spurs are currently under it by $1.43M. That's what I thought.

AFBlue
07-18-2007, 01:02 PM
So the Spurs are currently under it by $1.43M. That's what I thought.

Technically, yes. Read the edit to my previous post...

Kori Ellis
07-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Technically, yes. Read the edit to my previous post...

Yeah I saw it. But I don't think the Spurs are signing Mahinmi or carrying 15 players to start the season (unless they are all minimum players).

AFBlue
07-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah I saw it. But I don't think the Spurs are signing Mahinmi or carrying 15 players to start the season (unless they are all minimum players).

Fair enough...because technically I was wrong.

So who do you think they will carry beyond the 12 already under contract?

And if they do sign Udoka as player #13, at least half of his projected salary (if it were the rumored $3M) would be taxed.

MoSpur
07-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Well, it seems as though they want to get rid of Beno, which will help a little. If they get a trade exception in return, then it will help a little more depending on how much it is.

AFBlue
07-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Well, it seems as though they want to get rid of Beno, which will help a little. If they get a trade exception in return, then it will help a little more depending on how much it is.

But the question is....will they get rid of Beno and not try to sign another PG?

Because if they're okay with letting Beno go and using Ginobili as the de facto third PG, then they get maximum savings from dealing him....but if they go out and even sign a player for the min, it's going to take a chunk out of the salary cap savings.

MoSpur
07-18-2007, 01:27 PM
True. They have to find another PG. They can't go into the season with two PGs. Maybe Barry plays PG or maybe they sign one on the cheap.

coopdogg3
07-18-2007, 01:30 PM
True. They have to find another PG. They can't go into the season with two PGs. Maybe Barry plays PG or maybe they sign one on the cheap.

If they get desperate, they could give CJ Watson a try.

worm9110
07-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Jalen Rose!!!!!!

AFBlue
07-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Jalen Rose!!!!!!

Rose is destined to be a tv/media guy and he's far more likely to play for peanuts in a major media market than actually focus on winning a championship.

Rose hasn't been about basketball in years....

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Spurs better jump all over this

SequSpur
07-18-2007, 07:44 PM
he needs to fire his agent.

exstatic
07-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Spurs better jump all over this
Or what? You'll have another wet your pants meltdown?