PDA

View Full Version : Best whiner about the Scola trade

whottt
07-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Which one do you think is doing the best job of whining and complaining?

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 09:43 AM
You are doing the best job of jocking My Big Fat Greek Pussy.

leemajors
07-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Tpark simply for quitting the spurs based on this trade.

whottt
07-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I never thought I'd say this...but where the hell is Chump when you need him?

whottt
07-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Let's be sure to give Solid D some love here...the dude does everything well, and always with dignity and class. Including whining and pouting.

ALVAREZ6
07-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Whottt

AFBlue
07-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Pissed off that I didn't even get a vote button....

I guess it was discrimination based on my join date...right whottt?

ALVAREZ6
07-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Scola is trolling Whottt hardcore.

Kamnik
07-18-2007, 10:00 AM
i practicly always disagree with what whott writes (4w :D ) but i am kind of annoyed of how many people piss and moan about this trade

my guess is Pop thought Scola or Butler couldnt be good Spurs material in long term so he gave them up

and even though i think Scola could be good.... IF POP AND RC think so then who am i to say this is a dumb trade or the worst trade ever (i dont mind disagreeing but some people call Pop and RC morons and stupid things like that)

IF the Spurs could trade Scola for something good they would mot certanily do it

ArgSpursFan
07-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Eventhough Iīm happy that He finally made it to the NBA.Iīm real pissed that he aint with the spurs.
So,I vote myself as best whiner. :blah

whottt
07-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Pissed off that I didn't even get a vote button....

I guess it was discrimination based on my join date...right whottt?

No...I wasn't even aware you were upset about the Scola trade. So you see, it's got nothing to do with discrimination based on your join date...you just aren't doing as good of a job of whining and pouting as they are. Way, way out of your league here bud...you aren't anywhere near their level of whining and pouting...regardless of join date. For all I know you and Body have been here about the same time...he's much better at it than you are.

whottt
07-18-2007, 10:02 AM
timvp is off to the early lead here...personally, I think he's being over-rated right now.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 10:03 AM
All we need is for Barry to be Butler'd so that the forum can witness true bitching and whining.

jag
07-18-2007, 10:07 AM
T park cause he just can't stop bitching in general.

jag
07-18-2007, 10:08 AM
I can't believe you left out Spurs Dynasty 21!

His "I hope duncan leaves SA" thread is up there with some of the worst things i've seen in awhile.

whottt
07-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Spurs Dynasty is in the running for the best dumbass and poster you'd most like to see posting at Spurs Report awards...

Solid D
07-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey, it's just bad luck that the Spurs Ltd. had to send a Harvard Business School grad and a top intern that mumbles down the road to their competitor because they had a hiring freeze and right-sizing going on.

jag
07-18-2007, 10:24 AM
^^^at least he's making a case for himself...he might be upset with the lack of votes he's getting.

leemajors
07-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Spurs Dynasty is in the running for the best dumbass and poster you'd most like to see posting at Spurs Report awards...
i think they are two different people.

duncan228
07-18-2007, 10:38 AM
SpursDynasty and Spurs Dynasty 21 are 2 different people. Or at least 2 different user names.

Spurs Dynasty 21 has been whining the best about The Trade.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-18-2007, 10:42 AM
The trade can only be fully scrutinized after all the chips have fallen. If this was act 1 of something bigger, then let's wait and see.

I still find it amazing that Luis Scola became an all-star the minute he was dealt to Houston. Prior to that, he was some moron locked into a bad deal in Europe and wasn't NBA-ready.

We just won a fourth ring people, why let Luis Scola and Oliver Miller dampen that?

ShoogarBear
07-18-2007, 10:49 AM
I voted for Solid D because he's had the best one-liners so far.

And I didn't want him to get shut out.

We should have another poll: who's doing the best job at shilling for R. C. Buford?

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Spurs just won a 4th ring without having to face the team that bounced them out of the prior postseason and with their 2nd round opponent's best big suspended for a crucial game 5. They aren't that far above the rest of the league. Standing pat is questionable. Gifting talent away to a division rival to save a little is worse.

spvrs
07-18-2007, 10:51 AM
whottt with the score!!!

Great thread!

MannyIsGod
07-18-2007, 10:53 AM
:lmao

Marcus Bryant voted for Mr Body.

Thats the funniest part of this thread.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 10:55 AM
We need a vote for best front office suckup.

whottt
07-18-2007, 10:57 AM
:lmao

Marcus Bryant voted for Mr Body.

Thats the funniest part of this thread.

ShoogarBear voting for Solid D is pretty funny too...

whottt
07-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Spurs just won a 4th ring without having to face the team that bounced them out of the prior postseason and with their 2nd round opponent's best big suspended for a crucial game 5. They aren't that far above the rest of the league. Standing pat is questionable. Gifting talent away to a division rival to save a little is worse.

And I'd say keeping Butler and Scola without landing a Bowen replacement or second SF defender...is standing Pat...and leaves us more vulnerable to the team you fear.

I'd rather see Finley guarding Dirk again than Scola...Finley'll score more points, and he'll do a better job of defending Dirk. And Pop will let him on the court.

Solid D
07-18-2007, 11:00 AM
ShoogarBear voting for Solid D is pretty funny too...

It's either a sympathy vote or he didn't want me to get props for throwing a shutout. :lol

SAGambler
07-18-2007, 11:02 AM

I pretty much think the FO can stand on their own. All they have to do is to point to 4 trophies sitting in the trophy case at ATT. That alone should tell everyone they pretty much know what they are doing.

ShoogarBear
07-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I pretty much think the FO can stand on their own. All they have to do is to point to 4 trophies sitting in the trophy case at ATT. That alone should tell everyone they pretty much know what they are doing.You can't campaign for nomination.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Right, because it couldn't be more.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Anyways, I gave Mr. Body the nod because he's much more consistent at complaining and whining.

Leetonidas
07-18-2007, 11:09 AM
What about Spurs Dynasty 21? Did everyone forget his meltdown?

Bruno
07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I go with Marcus Bryant :

timvp has just the ploto syndrome because his Jackie has been traded.

TPark hasn't posted enough on this subject. I've noticed too that the "Zen, it's just BB" TPark is gone.

Solid D is too classy to be a good whining poster.

Mr. Body makes no sense with his posts and is just the classical "I'm better than the GM" poster.

Marcus Bryant is at the top of his art : half serious and half funny. The 2007 version of the offseason Marcus Bryant, is a great one.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:42 AM
eh? I'm always serious.

Mister Sinister
07-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I have a man-crush on RC Buford?

Fast Dunk
07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
All of them are a BUNCH of whiners mother fuckers!

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
We love you too.

El_Mago
07-18-2007, 12:34 PM
This is a classic thread.

Good work, Whott.

Mister Sinister
07-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Epic.

Spurminator
07-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Best whiner, to me, would be who made the best case that this was a bad trade.

I voted MB because he seems to be making less of a complaint about what we gave up, and more of a complaint about why and what we got in return.

Some people are a little too high on Scola and Butler. But surely they were worth more than a 2nd Rounder.

Spurminator
07-18-2007, 12:41 PM
I could be wrong though... I haven't frequented all 200 Scola/Butler threads.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 12:55 PM
The Spurs could drop Manu tomorrow for lux tax reasons and most Spurs fans would find a way to justify it.

AFBlue
07-18-2007, 01:07 PM
The Spurs could drop Manu tomorrow for lux tax reasons and most Spurs fans would find a way to justify it.

Manu? Dude is destined for a BIG fall-off...I'm talking, 50-ft cliff fall-off.

We needed to cut our losses and project for 2008.

Spurs FO must know something I don't....I'm just a jackass fan, after all.

Mr. Body
07-18-2007, 01:10 PM
This thread has convinced me the trade was the best trade of all time.

justanotherspursfan
07-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Isn't it whott in a runaway?

Mr. Body
07-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Isn't it whott in a runaway?

No one sucks on one like whottt.

ShoogarBear
07-18-2007, 02:03 PM
The Spurs could drop Manu tomorrow for lux tax reasons and most Spurs fans would find a way to justify it.After they read the Ludden article.

Hemotivo
07-18-2007, 03:00 PM
timvp

vander
07-18-2007, 03:30 PM
the people in this poll are going to look pretty damn smart if/when scola starts putting up 15 and 8 and butler turns into a good backup for yao.

J.T.
07-18-2007, 03:35 PM
the people in this poll are going to look pretty damn smart if/when scola starts putting up 15 and 8 and butler turns into a good backup for yao.

or butler and scola watch the spurs collect another ring and weep for the lost opportunity

timvp
07-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Link to the last time timvp was wrong about a Spurs transaction? Seriously, if I wasn't me, I'd go with whatever he said because he's almost always right.

Bruno
07-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Link to the last time timvp was wrong about a Spurs transaction? Seriously, if I wasn't me, I'd go with whatever he said because he's almost always right.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1114905&postcount=10

timvp
07-18-2007, 04:38 PM
2006-07 Transactions
Spurs dump Rasho for Bonner, EWill and 2nd round pick - A lot of people were whining about this trade, while timvp called it a fantastic trade and also was the first person to recognize Bonner as a long-term fit on the Spurs.
Spurs sign Francisco Elson - I said all he could do was run but was a playoff choker who at very best would be a 4th big on a championship team.
Spurs sign Jackie Butler - I said he was a good prospect. The Spurs didn't keep him long enough to see if I was right or wrong.
Spurs sign Jacque Vaughn - I said he was the best third point guard in franchise history. And he was.

2005-06 Transactions
Spurs sign Fabricio Oberto - I said he'd start for the Spurs before long after the Spurs find a way to move both Rasho and Nazr.
Spurs sign Michael Finley - I said he'd be solid but he wasn't much first choice. Finley has proven to be solid.
Spurs sign Melvin Sanders - While everyone was celebrating Sanders, I said he was a scrub who had no NBA future.

2004-2005 Transactions
Spurs trade Malik for Nazr and 2 first rounders - I said that it was a good short term trade because Nazr > Rasho. But two first rounders will come back to bite them and that Nazr wasn't as good as others were saying he was.

I guess you gotta go back to the Spurs signing Charlie Ward. But back then, I only remember one poster who was against it. And being wrong about a guy the Spurs ended up paying like $200K for wasn't that huge of a blow.

timvp
07-18-2007, 04:40 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1114905&postcount=10
:lol

We'll see. The Spurs gave up on him in year one. If he's a scrub in a couple years, I'll admit to being wrong. I can't control playing time.

FromWayDowntown
07-18-2007, 04:41 PM
After they read the Ludden article.

Now wait -- some of us FO apologists don't need to be told what to say in support of our heroes.

timvp
07-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Bruno shouldn't click here (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1096962&postcount=222)

Or here. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1106660&postcount=27)

Bruno
07-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Bruno shouldn't click here (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1096962&postcount=222)

Or here. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1106660&postcount=27)

First Bruno don't do post like that :

Link to the last time Bruno was wrong about a Spurs transaction? Seriously, if I wasn't me, I'd go with whatever he said because he's almost always right.

Bruno is sometimes wrong, he knows it.

Second, about your links :
The first one was a joke. I've said that Elson would be decent nothing more.
I was really wrong about Oberto last summer.

justanotherspursfan
07-18-2007, 04:55 PM

We'll see. The Spurs gave up on him in year one. If he's a scrub in a couple years, I'll admit to being wrong. I can't control playing time.
Do you still think he was a better signing than Oberto or Finley (i.e. the best since Bowen)?

temujin
07-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Best power forward in Europe gone for peanuts to a potential rival.
Without benchwarmer Udrih on top.

A Knicks-type trade.

Pretty unfair contest to me.

7-hours time zone difference.

Plenty of work.

timvp
07-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Do you still think he was a better signing than Oberto or Finley (i.e. the best since Bowen)?
If he puts up good numbers when he gets the playing time, he could be. You don't get a 21-year-old restricted free agent center with ability for peanuts. If he becomes a good player in the league, that signing will look like a good one.

And let the record show that Butler's original contract was 2-year, ~$4.5M with a team option for a third season. We'll see if history looks back on that as a good signing or not.

timvp
07-18-2007, 05:09 PM
First Bruno don't do post like that :

Link to the last time Bruno was wrong about a Spurs transaction? Seriously, if I wasn't me, I'd go with whatever he said because he's almost always right.timvp was messing around.

:smokin

But really. I don't know why an ankle biter like whottt tries to tear me down. While he's making claims of Cavs in 5 and Romain Sato for MVP, I'd put my track record up against anyone's.

I'll admit when I'm wrong (like I did prematurely regarding Elson) but I haven't had to admit to being wrong much over the years. The next time whottt admits to being wrong about anything will be the first time.

Bruno is sometimes wrong, he knows it.

Second, about your links :
The first one was a joke. I've said that Elson would be decent nothing more.
I was really wrong about Oberto last summer.That's why arguing with whottt < arguing with Bruno because Bruno will admit when he's wrong.

And come the All-Star break this season and this Rockets trade looks stupid, Bruno will be apologizing to SpursTalk for his bad takes regarding the trade while whottt will be on some wild tangent about how V-Span is still coming over to America he's just holding out a little longer so CIA Pop doesn't get in trouble.

E20
07-18-2007, 05:10 PM
That's bull shit Solid D gets two Spurs for updating Game Blog threads? I was updating them too. :lol

E20
07-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Timvp's posts must take a long to write, because has to bold every single name. :lol

Solid D
07-18-2007, 05:14 PM

http://www.fullsportpress.com/backpatternew.gif
...and that deserves The kluby

whottt
07-18-2007, 05:24 PM
timvp was messing around.

:smokin

But really. I don't know why an ankle biter like whottt tries to tear me down. While he's making claims of Cavs in 5 and Romain Sato for MVP, I'd put my track record up against anyone's.

Hey...why so pissed at me? I voted for Marcus.

But seriously...

Waive Mercer and Heal didn't pay off in a title...you may have been right about what the Spurs were going to do...but your solution did not lead to positive results.

Signing Elson did.

stéphane
07-18-2007, 05:25 PM
I voted for MrBody but I think its more like being outraged than really whining.

SequSpur
07-18-2007, 06:43 PM
timvp said malik was an eastern conference allstar if he wasn't on the spurs.

funny, that the folks listed on this poll are to much of a wuss to complain about anything the spurs do.

Darkwaters
07-18-2007, 07:25 PM
I've simply been sulking since the trade. Frankly, the booze is starting to wear off and I'm I don't know if I can take it.

Darkwaters
07-18-2007, 07:30 PM
That's bull shit Solid D gets two Spurs for updating Game Blog threads? I was updating them too. :lol

What are those little Spurs symbols below people's post counts? And the trophies for that matter.

I want a trophy. And a Spur.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I deserve a spur too. I don't have the actual stats but I'm pretty sure I'm the one who has posted the most useful information in the NBA Forum in the past year.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-18-2007, 09:31 PM
where's "everybody that posts more than 5 times a day in the Spurs forum" box.

O-Factor
07-18-2007, 09:42 PM
:toast I think everyone listed in the poll has done a comendable job!

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 09:45 PM
2004-2005 Transactions
Spurs trade Malik for Nazr and 2 first rounders - I said that it was a good short term trade because Nazr > Rasho. But two first rounders will come back to bite them and that Nazr wasn't as good as others were saying he was.

That was the one trade which looks much worse in hindsight. Rose would've been the silver bullet for the Mavs in the '06 postseason. David Lee would have come in handy as well. A year's rental of Nazr Mohammed? Feh.

Russ
07-18-2007, 10:02 PM
When all the whining is done, in like 5 years or so, the only thing anyone will remember about the Summer of '07 is that . . .

The Spurs got one of their top players, Tiago Splitter. :)

Everyone will be running from their opinions about Butler (and even Scola). And, most importantly, the Spurs will continue to win. :elephant

zrinkill
07-18-2007, 10:25 PM
They are all a bunch of bandwagon jumping crybabies.

justanotherspursfan
07-18-2007, 10:25 PM
When all the whining is done, in like 5 years or so, the only thing anyone will remember about the Summer of '07 is that . . .

The Spurs got one of their top players, Tiago Splitter. :)

Everyone will be running from their opinions about Butler (and even Scola). And, most importantly, the Spurs will continue to win. :elephant
Other than Splitter, I think what people will remember will be colored by how this next season ends.

If the Spurs have another river parade, then certainly no one will be complaining about how it turned out. If the even-year curse strikes again, this summer will be remembered as a missed opportunity, just like '04 and '06.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Next summer Spurs fans will hope that Splitter is as good as the guy the Spurs gave away.

ShoogarBear
07-19-2007, 09:09 AM
where's "everybody that posts more than 5 times a day in the Spurs forum" box.

(2.89 posts per day)

Surprised that 3 wasn't the cutoff.

Also, :lol at your profile pic.

whottt
07-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Other than Splitter, I think what people will remember will be colored by how this next season ends.

And that's what makes MB and timvp the ultimate hedgers here...

They know there is virtually no chance the Spurs repeat, based on past trends, and it doesn't matter if the Spurs have upgraded(as they ddi after 05) or not...so bitching about this offseason has a 99% chance of leaving them looking good in hindsight...being positive about it...has virtually no chance of being a winning position.

whottt
07-19-2007, 12:17 PM
I cannot figure out why timvp is the runaway leader on this...sure he's complained about it...but if you check his record, you will find he's excellent at setting himself on both sides of the issue...

MB OTOH, has signed off on this being a bad deal 100%, and frankly, is leading the charge....I just don't see how he's not getting more votes here.

ShoogarBear
07-19-2007, 12:22 PM
If you weighted the votes by quality of the voter, Solid D is the runaway winner.

vander
07-19-2007, 01:50 PM
That was the one trade which looks much worse in hindsight. Rose would've been the silver bullet for the Mavs in the '06 postseason. David Lee would have come in handy as well. A year's rental of Nazr Mohammed? Feh.

but if we had rose's contract, we wouldn't have signed someone else, possibly oberto, or finley

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 02:37 PM
And that's what makes MB and timvp the ultimate hedgers here...

They know there is virtually no chance the Spurs repeat, based on past trends, and it doesn't matter if the Spurs have upgraded(as they ddi after 05) or not...so bitching about this offseason has a 99% chance of leaving them looking good in hindsight...being positive about it...has virtually no chance of being a winning position.

I would like nothing more than to see the Spurs end the trend of not repeating. That's why I am irate over their moves in this offseason thusfar.

timvp
07-19-2007, 03:49 PM
but your solution did not lead to positive results.

Signing Elson did.

A guy who averaged a point and a rebound in the playoffs was positive results? The Spurs could have had Tom Copa playing the minutes Elson did and they would have won a champion. I can't think of one game in the playoffs (much less a series) where having Elson changed anything.

He became the first Spur to lose his starting job during a championship run and never regain it. Elson got owned not only by the other teams ... but also by Oberto.

Yet whottt still has his pompoms out. Although it figures, since whottt has a man crush on the other most replaceable player in the Spurs' championship rotation.

timvp
07-19-2007, 03:52 PM
I cannot figure out why timvp is the runaway leader on this...sure he's complained about it...but if you check his record, you will find he's almost never wrong when it comes to whether a Spurs transaction will be good or bad for the Spurs in both the short term and the long run...

Fixed.

If Scola and Butler bust, I'll be wrong about this trade. If Scola becomes the 16 and 6 player that I imagine, I'll be right, you'll look dumb and this would become the worst trade in franchise history since Charles Smith I.

Mr. Body
07-19-2007, 03:55 PM
If Scola and Butler bust, I'll be wrong about this trade.

No, you'd still be right. Butler and Scola are both potential players and so their potential factors very high in their worth, same as draft picks throughout the board. The Spurs disregarded their worth as basketball assets and sold them very cheaply on that scale, instead opting to get financial value for them.

Phoenix has made a recent history of selling their draft picks. Regardless of whether the player selected with those picks turns out to be good or bad, those trades are poor from a basketball standpoint, and nothing can change that fact in retrospect.

whottt
07-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Fixed.

If Scola and Butler bust, I'll be wrong about this trade. If Scola becomes the 16 and 6 player that I imagine, I'll be right, you'll look dumb and this would become the worst trade in franchise history since Charles Smith I.

False...

The only way you'll be right is if the Rockets win a title.

In relation to the Spurs year in and year out goals, numbers are meaningless.

Try judging Bruce Bowen or Robert Horry by statistical output...and you'll see what I mean.

IOW, we aren't 16 and 6 away from a title year in and year out, nor are we an out of shape and inexperienced bigman who may hit 4 assists per game under Adelman, away from a title.

Right now...we're someone to put on Dirk and Amare away from a title...possibly.

And I can assure you, barring injury, if Scola were to play for the Spurs, he would not put up those numbers.

timvp
07-19-2007, 04:14 PM
False...

The only way you'll be right is if the Rockets win a title. :lmao

Where did I ever claim the Rockets would win a title? I said the Spurs panicked and in the process, made the Rockets better. There are stages of "better" between getting out of the first round and a championship.

Right now...we're someone to put on Dirk and Amare away from a title...possibly. I know you had Cavs in 5 and said that the Spurs wouldn't win a title with Michael Finley in the rotation ... but in case you stopped watching last season, the Spurs won the title.

Try to stay with the latest happenings and avoid jumping ship midway through the playoffs again. Thanks.

timvp
07-19-2007, 04:16 PM
:lol @ whottt saying I'm hedging and playing both sides of the issue ... and then saying the only way timvp is right is if the Rockets win the championship.

Classic.

ArgSpursFan
07-19-2007, 04:22 PM
False...

The only way you'll be right is if the Rockets win a title.

It has nothing to do with the Rockets winning a title or not:itīs about the spurs getting weaker.
I say if the spurs donīt repeat and scola average 16/6,while Bonner and Elson put awfull numbers like 10 or less/5 or less a peace,them It can be called one of the worst spurs trades.

Solid D
07-19-2007, 04:56 PM
If you weighted the votes by quality of the voter, Solid D is the runaway winner.

See, nobody fell for your trick to try to entice people to vote for me. :lol

whottt
07-19-2007, 05:18 PM
:lol @ whottt saying I'm hedging and playing both sides of the issue ... and then saying the only way timvp is right is if the Rockets win the championship.

Classic.

No...you actually are willing to concede it's a decent trade if Vassilis signs.

Marcus isn't willing to concede it's a decent trade under any conditions.

That's what I meant.

FromWayDowntown
07-19-2007, 05:19 PM
See, only dopes like FWD fell for your trick to try to entice people to vote for me. :lol

Fixed.

whottt
07-19-2007, 05:20 PM
It has nothing to do with the Rockets winning a title or not:itīs about the spurs getting weaker.
I say if the spurs donīt repeat and scola average 16/6,while Bonner and Elson put awfull numbers like 10 or less/5 or less a peace,them It can be called one of the worst spurs trades.

Sorry but adding x points doesn't guarantee a stronger team.

The Spurs became stronger when Drob's numbers went down.

Scola wouldn't put up 16 and 6 on the Spurs unless Duncan was injured...if even then, that wouldn't make the Spurs stronger. And saying well Scola could do a Duncan improv if Duncan was injured doesn't cut it either...we won't be winning a title if Duncan gets injured.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Would Scola have been useful posting up with TD resting against the league's reserve bigmen? Um, yeah.

Mr. Body
07-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Sorry but adding x points doesn't guarantee a stronger team.

The Spurs became stronger when Drob's numbers went down.

Obviously then the Spurs were the best team of all time when Drob's numbers went down to zero. You'd make a great economist.

Or farmer. Whottt doesn't understand the purpose of an asset. He'd figure, not personally needing the surplus wheat his farm is making, instead of trying to get a good figure on each bushell, he might as well give it all away for nothin'. Same principle here: it's a bullshit argument saying the Spurs didn't need Scola. That's been established; the question is what they got for him, which is nothing.

whottt
07-19-2007, 05:27 PM
I know you had Cavs in 5 and said that the Spurs wouldn't win a title with Michael Finley in the rotation ... but in case you stopped watching last season, the Spurs won the title.

Eh...I said Finley would choke, which he did...and Pop didn't play him at C much. You know...the small ball thing. The Spurs didn't rely on Finley to play a major role....regardess of what minutes he played.

Try to stay with the latest happenings and avoid jumping ship midway through the playoffs again. Thanks.

Hey..the Spurs are 2-0 when I jump ship....don't expect it to stop any time soon.

I'll be straight up honest here...I didn't think the Spurs were winning the title at any point last year...because I didn't think they'd beat the Mavs.

I was happily wrong.

whottt
07-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Would Scola have been useful posting up with TD resting against the league's reserve bigmen? Um, yeah.

No...because if he can't play D Pop isn't going to leave him on the court for long. Pop will play Oberto and run the offense through Manu.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Obviously then the Spurs were the best team of all time when Drob's numbers went down to zero. You'd make a great economist.

Or farmer. Whottt doesn't understand the purpose of an asset. He'd figure, not personally needing the surplus wheat his farm is making, instead of trying to get a good figure on each bushell, he might as well give it all away for nothin'. Same principle here: it's a bullshit argument saying the Spurs didn't need Scola. That's been established; the question is what they got for him, which is nothing.

Well, they did get $7 mil in payroll reduction/cash. The question is will that be reinvested or distributed? I can understand if they wanted to lighten up the resources devoted to the frontcourt to improve the future of the swing spots, but it seems like they are balking at doing so unless Udoka comes dirt cheap.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 05:30 PM
No...because if he can't play D Pop isn't going to leave him on the court for long. Pop will play Oberto and run the offense through Manu.

...with no low post scoring threat, allowing teams to better defend the offense run through Manu.

As for defense, drop that canard. If Francisco Elson can make the rotation than any big in the world should be able to.

whottt
07-19-2007, 05:32 PM

Stats aren't everything...we could easily replace Bowen with someone that would put superior offensive numbers...Barry could do that if he got Bowen's minutes...that doesn't mean we'd be a better team.

You'd make a lousy common sensitist.

It's not about assets...it's about winning titles. Lots of teams have tradeable assets, some even moreso than the Spurs...that doesn't make them better teams.

LA added Malone and Payton...they weren't better for it.
The Spurs added NVE, they weren't better for it.

whottt
07-19-2007, 05:33 PM
...with no low post scoring threat, allowing teams to better defend the offense run through Manu.

As for defense, drop that canard. If Francisco Elson can make the rotation than any big in the world should be able to.

Evidentally not...the two guys we just traded couldn't do it. If the Spurs wanted them in the rotation, they'd be here instead of Bonner and Oberto. And they'd be here for cheaper.

So you need to take that up with Pop.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 05:34 PM
It's not about assets...it's about winning titles. Lots of teams have tradeable assets, some even moreso than the Spurs...that doesn't make them better teams.

What does that matter? You don't become a better team by giving away the best big in the Euroleagues.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Evidentally not...the two guys we just traded couldn't do it.

ROFL. That wasn't one of the seven million reasons the Spurs made that trade.

If the Spurs wanted them in the rotation, they'd be here instead of Butler and Oberto.

So you need to take that up with Pop.

They didn't want them in the rotation because Splitter and Mahinmi are guaranteed to cost one-fourth as much each.

whottt
07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
What does that matter? You don't become a better team by giving away the best big in the Euroleagues.

You do if gives you a roster spot to upgrade your SF position, and extre $$$ pursue one with...not to mentiona potential upgrade at the back up PG position.

whottt
07-19-2007, 05:45 PM
ROFL. That wasn't one of the seven million reasons the Spurs made that trade.

Then why didn't they sign or keep them instead of Bonner and Oberto?

Which two cost more?

They didn't want them in the rotation because Splitter and Mahinmi are guaranteed to cost one-fourth as much each.

Maybe...or maybe they'll end up trading them too.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
You do if gives you a roster spot to upgrade your SF position, and extre $$$ pursue one with...not to mentiona potential upgrade at the back up PG position.

The Spurs could have freed up a roster spot without that trade. Will they even use the $ freed up to add anyone? I don't see any indication of that and virtually every front office suckup in this forum thinks it grand if they don't.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Then why didn't they sign or keep them instead of Bonner and Oberto?

Which two cost more?

Scola did.

Bonner will replace Horry anyways.

Maybe...or maybe they'll end up trading them too.

Could be. Splitter and Mahinmi at $700K each should be mighty tempting.

whottt
07-19-2007, 05:51 PM
The Spurs could have freed up a roster spot without that trade. Will they even use the $ freed up to add anyone? I don't see any indication of that and virtually every front office suckup in this forum thinks it grand if they don't.

They could have...but if those guys pan out they arguably help the team more than Butler or Scola would have.

whottt
07-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Oh...and I'm taking a wait and see approach...I have no problem with the Spurs getting what they feel is the best deal for those two players, and I'm glad they weren't afraid to trade them a divisional rival...

If the roster doesn't improve beyond that, I will probably be inclined to agree this was shitty offseason in general.

timvp
07-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Oh...and I'm taking a wait and see approach...I have no problem with the Spurs getting what they feel is the best deal for those two players, and I'm glad they weren't afraid to trade them a divisional rival...

If the roster doesn't improve beyond that, I will probably be inclined to agree this was shitty offseason in general.
And it's timvp playing both sides of the fence :rolleyes

whottt
07-19-2007, 05:58 PM
And it's timvp playing both sides of the fence :rolleyes

Well, at least we agree on that.

It's too early to pass judgement as it pertains to the Spurs...on the offseason.

jag
07-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Well, at least we agree on that.

It's too early to pass judgement as it pertains to the Spurs...on the offseason.

Agreed, these are the same people who bitch every offseason and then jump on board in the postseason, it gets old.

ShoogarBear
07-20-2007, 10:38 AM
See, nobody fell for your trick to try to entice people to vote for me. :lolHey, if we used posts per voter criteria, you'd be running away.

My statement still stands.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-20-2007, 11:06 AM
are people actually trying to convince others that Scola was somehow good?

sad

Solid D
07-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Yes, Scola is good.

Solid D
07-20-2007, 11:25 AM
2004 Olympics numbers

http://usabasketball.com/seniormen/2004/04_moly_stats-Argentina.html

ArgSpursFan
07-20-2007, 11:33 AM
2004 Olympics numbers

Yeah,but but but.....He aint NBA prooven,He is a poor rebounder, he wants too much money as a roockie.............Blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah. ............................. :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :lol

whottt
07-20-2007, 02:53 PM
2004 Olympics numbers

I don't suppose you have a link to teams Australia and Lithuania's numbers do you? ;)

Solid D
07-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Maybe, but they didn't get a gold medal. ;)

whottt
07-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Maybe, but they didn't get a gold medal. ;)

They didn't have the Olympic MVP...and I think Lithuania did beat Argentina once...it might have been Spain though.