PDA

View Full Version : Rockets Leading Steve Francis Stakes

ducks
07-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Rockets Have Shot at Francis

Houston Rockets NBA sources tell FOX 26 Sports the Houston Rockets are one of three teams in the hunt to land free agent guard Steve Francis and the sources tell FOX the Rockets are the leaders in the clubhouse but that a decision still has to be made. Francis is also considering the L.A. Clippers and Miami Heat.

Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey declined comment Tuesday when asked about the team's interest and Francis' agents have not been available for comment.

Portland obtained Francis in a trade with the Knicks on June 28 and last week bought out the remainder of his contract which was worth $34 million. He has since cleared waivers and become a free agent.

Francis played for the Rockets from 1999-2004 and was an NBA All-Star three times.

Because of salary cap restrictions the Rockets are limited in what they can pay Francis but he still makes his offseason home here and may decide to return to Houston and take less money than play in Los Angeles and Miami.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=3801311&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

AFBlue
07-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Good find....

But wow! ANOTHER guard in Houston? I'm not sure I see the logic in loading the backcourt even more...

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:21 AM
If Francis can handle being the 3rd wheel the Rockets might end up being much improved after this summer.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:23 AM
1 Francis
2 McGrady
3 Battier
4 Scola
5 Yao

Not bad.

Gonzo
07-18-2007, 11:25 AM
yaos the real deal finally, if it wasnt for the injury. im sure he could have been in the mvp race.

AFBlue
07-18-2007, 11:26 AM
1 Francis
2 McGrady
3 Battier
4 Scola
5 Yao

Not bad.

Mike James would be PISSED!

After his successful season in Toronto, James got pretty cocky and considered himself to be a starting calibur PG...which is why he was pissed when they went with Foye later on in the season.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Plus the Rockets have a coach now who has a clue offensively.

sandman
07-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Morey was on 610 AM yesterday talking about the interest in Francis being high, but realistically they are not considered one of the leading teams vying for his services, mainly because of cap room and the plethora of guards currently on the roster.

In addition, Francis does not strike me as the type to give the hometown discount. He is going to go to the highest bidder.

florige
07-18-2007, 11:32 AM

Houston Rockets NBA sources tell FOX 26 Sports the Houston Rockets are one of three teams in the hunt to land free agent guard Steve Francis and the sources tell FOX the Rockets are the leaders in the clubhouse but that a decision still has to be made. Francis is also considering the L.A. Clippers and Miami Heat.

Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey declined comment Tuesday when asked about the team's interest and Francis' agents have not been available for comment.

Portland obtained Francis in a trade with the Knicks on June 28 and last week bought out the remainder of his contract which was worth $34 million. He has since cleared waivers and become a free agent.

Francis played for the Rockets from 1999-2004 and was an NBA All-Star three times.

Because of salary cap restrictions the Rockets are limited in what they can pay Francis but he still makes his offseason home here and may decide to return to Houston and take less money than play in Los Angeles and Miami.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=3801311&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Who are they trying kid, Francis is going to end up back in LA with life long partner CM.

ducks
07-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Plus the Rockets have a coach now who has a clue offensively.
last time I checked d won titles

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:43 AM
last time I checked d won titles

Sure, but the Spurs weren't exactly chopped liver offensively this past season.

ducks
07-18-2007, 11:47 AM
dude you had those stats how good they spurs were shooting and stuff
when spurs played cavs
where the spurs ranked on the o

steve helps rockets if he accepts a lesser role then he had before
houston is atleast a year away from a chance at winning it all
new coach
new power foward
new o system
maybe a new point

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Right, the Spurs were a damn good offensive team last season.

Mr. Body
07-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Not sure this is a good idea. Too many chuckers on the roster as it is, especially if they have Bonzi coming around. It doesn't quite make sense.

maxpower
07-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Anything involving fransis is subtraction by addition.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-18-2007, 01:37 PM
There are plenty of people who want him back here in Houston. I understand NASA is starting some research on black holes.

sandman
07-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Could you imagine the comedy of Francis dribbling the ball in one spot for 20 seconds while trying to wave Yao off the low block so he could do an iso move?

Of course, with Adleman wanting to use Yao on the high post, Francis could probably lead this team in rebounding.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Anything involving fransis is subtraction by addition.

My thought exactly.

This would equalize the Scola addition somewhat.

wildbill2u
07-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Could you imagine the comedy of Francis dribbling the ball in one spot for 20 seconds while trying to wave Yao off the low block so he could do an iso move?

Of course, with Adleman wanting to use Yao on the high post, Francis could probably lead this team in rebounding.
Remember that "black hole'' attitude is exactly why Francis was traded from Houston. He hasn't been willing to give up the ball anywhere so I don't see why he'd be willing to be the 3rd or 4th option if he returns to Houston.

No doubt the man has (or had) a lot of talent--but channeling it into a team concept has been beyond him.

Anyone know why Portland bought him out? That must have been a hell of a payout.

traitoravery
07-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Another offseason of the other teams getting better while we just sit back and gel. New players interupt chemistry.

Slinkyman
07-18-2007, 09:45 PM
He'll be a clipper so he can wake up next to Cuttino every day.

baseline bum
07-18-2007, 09:59 PM
I would love to see Francis in Houston. It would almost negate giving them their starting PF for nothing.

Axl Van Dam
07-18-2007, 10:12 PM

:wtf They trade him and now they want him back? :wtf

Trainwreck2100
07-18-2007, 10:15 PM
I have a firm belief that he is headed there, my psychicness says it is so.

justanotherspursfan
07-18-2007, 10:27 PM
I know!

I bet Sean Elliot is as shocked as you are! :spin

Roxsfan
07-19-2007, 12:24 AM

they traded m.james and now he's back.....so your point :rolleyes :p:

Trainwreck2100
07-19-2007, 12:27 AM
they traded m.james and now he's back.....so your point :rolleyes :p:

who?

Roxsfan
07-19-2007, 12:36 AM
who?

http://www.frucomerci.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/google_girl.jpg :rolleyes

Shred
07-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Leading or losing? With Stevie Franchise, how can you tell?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Steve Francis to return to Rockets

Francis chose the Rockets over the Heat, Mavericks and Clippers, his agent Jeff Fried said on Thursday.

"It's a combination of a variety of factors including the fit with the team, a comfortableness with the organization and a familiarity with the surroundings. He has a home in Houston. In so many ways, it has remained his home, despite some interim stops, Orlando and New York.

"For Steve, it's coming home."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4982185.html

justanotherspursfan
07-19-2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4982185.html
They have T-Mac and Yao on their team, so naturally their two headline offseason acquisitions, Francis and Scola, have to have the ball in their hands to be effective. So does Butler, for that matter. :dizzy

mardigan
07-19-2007, 01:47 PM
They have way to many point guards now, Rafer's got to go

ArgSpursFan
07-19-2007, 02:05 PM
So francis probably play the SG pos.
James,Francis,T-mac,Sola and Yao.Not too bad.

ducks
07-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Francis to return to the Rockets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4982185.html

July 19, 2007, 1:57PM
Steve Francis to return to Rockets
Three-time All-Star picks former team over Heat, Mavs and Clippers

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Three seasons and three teams removed from the Rockets, Steve Francis will return to the team for which three times he was an All-Star.

Once known as "Franchise" as the cornerstone of the Rockets' planned post Hakeem Olajuwon rebuilding, Francis chose to return the Rockets on Thursday, passing on more lucrative offers from the Heat, Mavericks and Clippers.

"I think he sees this as a rebirth, as a restart of his career," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said.

"Steve has a sense we're real close. We think he can be a big part of getting us there. I always thought it was a long shot. Credit to Steve, he chose what he thought was the best chance to win over options that were better financially.

"There was always a chance that Steve would choose Houston, until Steve told me today himself he was coming it felt like a long shot. Jeff Fried was doing a great job as an agent creating options. It came down to Steve focusing on what was the most important to him and that was winning."

The Rockets were limited to the portion of the mid-level exception remaining after acquiring forward Luis Scola last weeks, worth $2.4 million the first year. He will sign a two-year contract with the option to opt out after one season.

Francis played five seasons for the Rockets, averaging 19.3 points, 6.4 assists and 6.1 rebounds. He was traded in June, 2004 to the Orlando Magic along with Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato in the deal to acquire Tracy McGrady. After one strong season with the Magic, he was dealt to the Knicks the next season and generally struggled to regain the form of his first years in the league, usually coming off the bench in the Knicks' crowded backcourt and battling knee troubles last season.

Francis is scheduled for a physical this afternoon, but has reported no problems with the knee since last season.

"It's a combination of a variety of factors including the fit with the team, a comfortableness with the organization and a familiarity with the surroundings," Fried said. "He has a home in Houston. In so many ways, it has remained his home, despite some interim stops, Orlando and New York.

"For Steve, it's coming home."

Dealt the Portland Trail Blazers after the season, he accepted a buyout of the last two seasons of his contract, worth roughly $30 million.

He had considered offers to reunite with Mobley, a friend and former teammate, and Sam Cassell, a friend and business partner, with the Clippers, and to play with each of the 2006 NBA Finals teams, the Mavericks and Heat.

"It's a chance to win," Morey said. "Both Yao (Ming) and Tracy really helped with the recruiting process and are excited about our chance to win with the additions in the off-season," Morey said. "We're feeling good we've addressed a lot of our goals."

The addition of Francis will likely trigger more changes. He would give the Rockets five point guards. Morey has said he is seeking to move John Lucas III. Several teams, the New Orleans Hornets in particular, have indicated interest, but Morey said nothing is imminent. With Francis on the roster, he could also seek to deal last season's starter, Rafer Alston.

"When you have a chance to add a talent like Steve who really fits what coach (Rick Adelman) is trying to do, you do it," Morey said. "Now we have a lot of talent on the roster. Coach and I have to figure out the best way to make it work. What our plans are is still to be determined. Because this was a bit of a long shot, we haven't spent a lot of time on what was the right next step in the coming weeks."

[email protected]

waly.mg
07-19-2007, 02:36 PM
The 2008 Rockets?

PG-Steve Francis-Rafer Alston-Mike James
SG-Tracy McGrady-Chuck Hayes-Head
SF-Shane Battier - Bonzi Wells?
PF-Luis Scola - Juwan Howard
C-Yao Ming - Mutombo - Buttler

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 02:38 PM
If Francis knows his role they could have a very interesting season. The Trade just looks better and better.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 02:39 PM
The 2008 Rockets?

Will Howard be commuting from Minneapolis for games?

waly.mg
07-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Ok, i Forget Howard is Gone

justanotherspursfan
07-19-2007, 02:43 PM
If Francis knows his role they could have a very interesting season. The Trade just looks better and better.
What's his role, exactly? Isn't he pretty much useless if he doesn't have the ball in his hands?

Bruno
07-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Houston are quite deep now except at the PF spot : they only have a average role player (Chuck Hayes) and two rookies (Scola and Landry). IMHO, Battier will play a lot at the PF (at least at the start of the season).

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 02:48 PM
What's his role, exactly? Isn't he pretty much useless if he doesn't have the ball in his hands?

He can play more of a 2 in Houston with McGrady garnering so many touches. That's actually pretty ideal for him.

justanotherspursfan
07-19-2007, 03:03 PM
He can play more of a 2 in Houston with McGrady garnering so many touches. That's actually pretty ideal for him.
He could be pretty useful to have if they use him to lead the offense on the second unit. If he'll accept the Stackhouse role, he can definitely help them.

I think if they start him, he'll take touches away from TMac and Yao. If they can decent play at the 4 without sliding Battier over, I think starting James, T-Mac, and Battier on the perimeter will net them better team play than starting Francis.

MoSpur
07-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Francis will come off the bench as a shooting guard. Not bad if he learns to play team ball.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-19-2007, 03:37 PM
The 2008 Rockets?

:wtf Hayes is a PF.

DOMINATOR
07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
rotation can be 9 deep in regular season
Francis or rafer
Tmac
battier
scola
yao

2nd unit:
Francis or rafer
James
bonzi
scola/battier/hell even tmac
hayes

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-19-2007, 03:46 PM
You're gonna shut down Mutombo?

nkdlunch
07-19-2007, 03:56 PM
let it be.

I don't see Rockets improving w/him. I see them doing worse actually

it's pretty sad actually, being traded away for big star Mcgrady, then coming back as fourth star in the team and having to fight for starting spot w/skip to my lue

Trainwreck2100
07-19-2007, 03:58 PM
I have a firm belief that he is headed there, my psychicness says it is so.

thank you

urunobili
07-19-2007, 03:59 PM
This is great news for us! now i think the Rockets will not make it far again.. that guy's ego will overshadows Scola's new addition etc etc... gosh i wish they sign him now!

timvp
07-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Houston are quite deep now except at the PF spot.
Dennis Lindsey will find a way to fix that.

koopa
07-19-2007, 05:35 PM
lol @ gig saying stacked with 3 all stars, they got two, and that's it, francis will never be the player he was back in the days, he's washed up, but the good thing is, he thinks he's still the shit and i don't see how him going to the rockets helps them, now they got a shooting guard in a point guards body that has an ego and needs to shoot the ball to be effective

then they got tmac who is pretty bad ass and doesn't need to shoot to be effective but the dude is never healthy

then you got yao who while has improved greatly doesn't scare anyone really, he's not a beast rebounder or shot blocker so he has to be scoring to be effective

then you got scola who can't even average 5 rebounds in europe so he's worthless on defense and is only effective if scoring

then you got bonzi who needs to score to be effective, and then mike james thinks he's a starter, and shane is the only one that doesn't need the ball to be effective

i don't see this team coming together very good because there isn't enough basketballs to go around to keep everyone happy and effective, and they aren't better then the top three teams which are mavs, spurs, suns, and i don't think they are better then the jazz, and right now i don't really see how they'll be better then the nuggets, so i don't see them being any higher then the 6th seed next year

looks like the rockets are stuck being the third best team in texas for many years to come

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-19-2007, 05:42 PM
but but but but the Spurs re-signed Bonner and Vaughn

Rockets are going to be DAMN good next season

jag
07-19-2007, 11:18 PM
but but but but the Spurs re-signed Bonner and Vaughn

Rockets are going to be DAMN good next season

After your thread about Duncan leaving the spurs, you should never post again, you fail at life, and posting on spurstalk.

kingmalaki
07-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Great signing for us. Last year our major problems were a suck ass PF, a PG who couldn't shoot and no scoring off the bench. We traded for a PG that can shoot (James) and we got some scoring off the bench now (Francis & Alston). Francis should be fine in that role.

We still have a suck ass PF unless Scola is the real deal. But I do like our improvements so far, especially since all we have lost is Juwon Howard.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Done deal now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2942354

Steve Francis is going home.

Steve Francis

Francis

After three years of struggles in Orlando and New York, the former All-Star guard will return to the place of his greatest glory, the Houston Rockets.

Francis was in Houston on Thursday to sign a two-year contract worth roughly $6 million with the Rockets. The club will announce the signing at a newsconference on Friday.

"It's great opportunity, I'm definitely excited," Francis told Houston's Fox 26 Sports. "This is a pretty astonishing moment right now. I am still caught up in the hype."

The 30-year-old Francis was recently bought out of the remaining two years, $34 million of his previous contract by the Portland Trail Blazers. He received nearly $31 million in the deal.

With money being no factor, Francis chose the Rockets over Miami, Dallas and the Clippers. The Heat are believed to have offered him more money.

According to a person close to Francis, he chose Houston largely because of his familiarity with the organization and the city. He has kept a home there since joining the club in 1999, and it was the site of his best years in the NBA.

As a high-flying point guard for the Rockets, Francis made three All-Star games and was regarded as one of the top players in the league. Francis' career began to decline when he clashed with coach Jeff Van Gundy, who had replaced Francis favorite Rudy Tomjanovich, in 2003.

Rocket Returning
Houston Rockets
Some of Steve Francis's best days in the NBA came as a member of the Rockets from 1999-2004. He played the last three seasons with Orlando and New York, but didn't put up the stats he did during his Houston days.

With Houston

With Orlando/NY
PPG 19.3 16.4
RPG 6.1 5.5
APG 6.4 4.7
All-Star games 3 0
Though Van Gundy helped Francis get to the playoffs for the first and only time in his career, his deliberate style of offense rubbed Francis the wrong way, and his scoring average dropped from 21 points per game to 16.6.

Francis was traded to Orlando for Tracy McGrady the following year. But while McGrady was outstanding in Houston, Francis failed to regain his form and was eventually dealt to New York to team with Stephon Marbury in the backcourt.

That experiment failed as well, as Francis ended up in a reserve role behind Jamal Crawford while struggling with minor knee injuries. Finally, the Knicks traded Francis to Portland in a draft-night trade that sent Zach Randolph to New York.

The Blazers had agreed to buy out Francis as a condition of the trade.

Francis returns to Houston in a much different role. The top option during his five-year stint with the club, he will be no more than the third option behind McGrady and Yao Ming. Francis spoke with both players as well as new Rockets coach Rick Adelman before deciding to accept Houston's offer.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.