PDA

View Full Version : 17 Year Old Gives Birth In Denny's Restroom, Abandons Baby In Trash Can

duncan228
07-18-2007, 12:43 PM
How could her family not know she was pregnant?

http://www.ocregister.com/news/baby-martinez-anaheim-1770448-mother-family

Mother of found baby arrested
Teenage mom from Indiana is accused of felony child abuse and felony child neglect.

By DENISSE SALAZAR

ANAHEIM - Police arrested today the teenage mother of the newborn baby girl found in a trash can in the women's restroom at a Denny's restaurant.

The 17-year-old mother, who remains hospitalized at Western Medical Center-Anaheim, was arrested on suspicion of felony child abuse and felony child neglect, Anaheim police Sgt. Rick Martinez said.

The mother, whose identity is being withheld because of her age, will be taken to Orange County Juvenile Hall once she is released from the hospital. Her family in Indianapolis has been notified but it's unknown if they will travel to Orange County.

The baby, who was found in a trash can inside the women's restroom Monday afternoon, remains hospitalized in good condition and is under the supervision of the Orange County Social Services Agency, Martinez said.

Prior to the incident, the teenage mother was at the restaurant eating with her boyfriend, his parents and two children.

"We believe they were not aware she was pregnant," Martinez said of the family from Indianapolis who was on vacation.

The family declined to comment.

The baby girl was breathing when she was discovered at about noon at 1168 W. Katella Ave., near Disneyland, Anaheim police Sgt. Rick Martinez said.

Fire dispatchers instructed the customer who found the baby to administer first aid prior to the arrival of paramedics.

Martinez said that anyone who has a baby and doesn't want it should surrender it to a hospital or another safe-haven location.

California's Safely Surrendered Baby Law, which was established in 2001, allows a parent to surrender a baby within three days of birth without fear of prosecution.

As of January 2007, 182 newborns have been given up in California, while 146 infants have been found alive following their illegal abandonment.

Sixty babies, the largest yearly total under the law, were safely surrendered in 2006.

Avitus1
07-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Classy.... :-/

DarkReign
07-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I dont know if you all remember a similar story about 15 years ago, the story was big national news.

Went to school with that person. Really odd, will never understand someone who puts their superficial life ahead of an actual human life. Im not anti-abortion by any means, but the reality is there are alot of married people that cant have children that desperately want to adopt.

If youre young, white and drug free, theres a damn good chance that kid gets adopted before its first birthday.

Mixability
07-18-2007, 12:53 PM
If youre young, white and drug free, theres a damn good chance that kid gets adopted before its first birthday.

http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/Black_Kid_-_That_s_Racist.gif

O-Factor
07-18-2007, 12:54 PM
What a bitch.

Trainwreck2100
07-18-2007, 12:55 PM

and it's the truth.

easjer
07-18-2007, 12:59 PM
You'd be surprised. Depending on how she was carrying, it could be very easy to hide. If she's at all heavier she may not show at all. If she is skinny with good muscle tone in her abdomen, it would be easy to hide. Gain some weight all around and not many people will question it. Wear baggy clothes a lot.

It's really sad to me though. We want a baby, but now just isn't the right time. I can understand fear and not knowing who to tell or what to do, but how hard is it to leave the baby at a safe place? No fear, no recriminations. That's what Baby Moses is all about.

DarkReign
07-18-2007, 01:02 PM
and it's the truth.

QFT

SpursWoman
07-18-2007, 01:09 PM
A near tragedy ... thankfully the baby seems to be doing okay. Hopefully they find a good home for her. :(

bigzak25
07-18-2007, 01:10 PM
well at leat the babygirl is alive.

E20
07-18-2007, 01:24 PM
What a fucking MORON. Geez.......go to any orphange and drop off the baby there, don't dump it in a fucking trash can. GAY AS HELL :pctoss

bdictjames
07-18-2007, 01:29 PM
That is just inhumane.

Summers
07-18-2007, 02:50 PM
These stories are so sad to me, but it seems like it happens pretty often. I can understand under certain circumstances a girl wanting to hide a pregnancy and being able to do so. I can understand being in denial. But when you realize you're pregnant and you have at least 6 months to come up with a plan and your grand plan is to do absolutely nothing? That's where I lose sympathy for the girl.

E20
07-18-2007, 02:53 PM
This is going into my favorites.

DarkReign
07-18-2007, 03:47 PM
These stories are so sad to me, but it seems like it happens pretty often. I can understand under certain circumstances a girl wanting to hide a pregnancy and being able to do so. I can understand being in denial. But when you realize you're pregnant and you have at least 6 months to come up with a plan and your grand plan is to do absolutely nothing? That's where I lose sympathy for the girl.

I never had any to begin with.

Borosai
07-18-2007, 05:12 PM
This gives a whole new meaning to white trash .

NOTE: Assuming she's white, of course.

Ronaldo McDonald
07-18-2007, 05:22 PM
I feel sad i laughed at that one^^