PDA

View Full Version : Al Sharpton speaks out on Michael Vick case.....

Mr. Peabody
07-18-2007, 02:18 PM
For Immediate Release:
July 18, 2007

Dan Shannon 757-622-7382

This morning, all of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick's corporate sponsors, Falcons CEO Arthur Blank, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell received a joint letter from hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons, civil rights leader The Rev. Al Sharpton, and PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk roundly condemning dogfighting and other forms of violence.

"The recent media spotlight on dogfighting reminds us of society's callous disregard for the suffering of animals and disrespect for sentient beings," they wrote in letters that arrived by FedEx this morning. "We hope that Mr. Vick is not a product of this insensitivity that runs through our society. ... It does us little good to prosecute just those who are famous and allow people across the country to continue to commit these hideous crimes. We are hopeful that authorities will take the appropriate action against anyone found guilty of an atrocity as serious as dogfighting ... . Today, we sound a clarion call to all people: Stand up for what is right, and speak out against what is wrong. Dogfighting is unacceptable. Hurting animals for human pleasure or gain is despicable. Cruelty is just plain wrong."

The statement comes on the heels of Michael Vick's indictment by a federal grand jury on a conspiracy charge related to his alleged involvement with dogfighting, including fatally hanging, drowning, and slamming against the ground dogs who "did not perform well." The indictment follows an April 25 raid on Vick's property in Surry County, Va., during which authorities reportedly found 70 dogs--including at least 60 pit bulls, the breed that is most commonly used for fighting--and paraphernalia commonly associated with dogfighting. Some of the animals reportedly had deep wounds and cuts consistent with fighting.

The Simmons, Sharpton, and PETA letters went to all of Vick's corporate sponsors, including Nike, Rawlings, Hasbro, Coca-Cola, Easton Sports, and Kraft.

"Anyone capable of forcing dogs to fight to the death should be kept away from all vulnerable forms of life, particularly children and animals," says Newkirk. "Dogfighting is an illegal act that deserves harsh punishment, no matter how famous the alleged perpetrators are."

The letter to Michael Vick's sponsors can be viewed at:

http://blog.peta.org/archives/Michael_Vick_letter.pdf

Not quite the stance many of you probably assumed he would take.

Yonivore
07-18-2007, 02:27 PM
You're right, I didn't assume anything about Al Sharpton with relationship to this story. Why would I? There's no racial element to the story, it's dog fighting.

Spurminator
07-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Not exactly a bold stance either, but at least it's something.

Mr. Peabody
07-18-2007, 02:32 PM
You're right, I didn't assume anything about Al Sharpton with relationship to this story. Why would I? There's no racial element to the story, it's dog fighting.

Oh c'mon, when you saw the title to the thread, you probably assumed Al Sharpton said something stupid in defense of Michael Vick. I know I did when I saw the headline.

Yonivore
07-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Oh c'mon, when you saw the title to the thread, you probably assumed Al Sharpton said something stupid in defense of Michael Vick. I know I did when I saw the headline.
Oh yeah, you're right; when I saw the title of the thread, I did think he probably came out in Vick's corner.

But, on further reflection, there's no white person to demonize here and, who knows, maybe Sharpton is a dog lover. God knows there are plenty of people who put their pets above even their pet political causes.

DarkReign
07-18-2007, 02:54 PM
This more than anything else, further proves how useless and obscure Sharpton/et al have become.

Why would they even feel a need to make a comment, nonetheless make a written statement to the stated individuals?

Convinced of one's own greatness. So much so, you stick your nose in things that have absolutely nothing to do with race, but just so your name can be attached to the issue in some fashion.

Despicable.

Wild Cobra
07-19-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't know. Sharpton never really has respected fellow members of his race, or else he wouldn't keep them beholden to needing him. Maybe he just likes dogs better than members of his own race?

Oh, Gee!!
07-19-2007, 04:32 PM
This more than anything else, further proves how useless and obscure Sharpton/et al have become.

Why would they even feel a need to make a comment, nonetheless make a written statement to the stated individuals?

Convinced of one's own greatness. So much so, you stick your nose in things that have absolutely nothing to do with race, but just so your name can be attached to the issue in some fashion.

Despicable.

I think it's a good thing for Al (or anyone with a public voice) to call out the heartless bastards that would treat animals the way Vick does.

Wild Cobra
07-19-2007, 05:11 PM
I think it's a good thing for Al (or anyone with a public voice) to call out the heartless bastards that would treat animals the way Vick does.
I agree. Too bad he only speaks of white on black crime and crime against animals, and doesn't speak of black on black crime or black on white crime.

Yonivore
07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
I agree. But, I wonder why, when it involves humans, he only calls out the alleged criminals who are white and whose alleged victims are black?

Wild Cobra
07-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I heard this announcement about an hour ago, so I looked it up:

Nike suspends release of Vick line (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070719/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_falcons_vick_nike)

Another interesting link:

Shoe Drops: Nike Halts Vick Sneaker Release (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Story?id=3390401&page=1)

Note on page two:

Stribling said that Coca-Cola was trying to determine who owned the site so the logos could be stripped.

DarkReign
07-19-2007, 08:51 PM

Fair point, but be realistic. Why did he/they feel a need to comment at all?

TLWisfoine
07-19-2007, 11:16 PM
I agree. But, I wonder why, when it involves humans, he only calls out the alleged criminals who are white and whose alleged victims are black?

I also wonder why the national media only chooses to cover tragedies that happen to white women? When was the last time that a woman of color got the same media attention when they went missing that white women get?

Yonivore
07-19-2007, 11:20 PM
I also wonder why the national media only chooses to cover tragedies that happen to white women? When was the last time that a woman of color got the same media attention when they went missing that white women get?
Good question for the media.

Oh, Gee!!
07-20-2007, 09:04 AM
I agree. Too bad he only speaks of white on black crime and crime against animals, and doesn't speak of black on black crime or black on white crime.

are you two like long lost twins or something? or did you hear the same talking point on the laura ingraham show?

Why distract from the issue? Al is right.

Wild Cobra
07-20-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm not so sure. With his track record of speaking out against others, makes me think Vicks is innocent.

Oh, Gee!!
07-20-2007, 03:35 PM
until proven guilty?

Wild Cobra
07-20-2007, 04:10 PM
until proven guilty?
Legally, yes. My understanding is they have no solid evidence anyway. On his property that is taken care of by family?

I think he is guilty, but stranger things have happened. I'm not seeing the evidence first hand.

Yonivore
07-20-2007, 04:12 PM
If the dog does not bite, you must not smite.

Wild Cobra
07-20-2007, 04:17 PM
are you two like long lost twins or something? or did you hear the same talking point on the laura ingraham show?

Al Sharpton is a key part of the issue. He cosponsored the letter.

As for the similar response, it is plain as day that Sharpton is a racist pig. Those were my own thoughts, not repeating others. Just forming an opinion from past knowledge of a racists actions.

jjfighter1
07-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Dog fighting is very cruel.

Al Sharpton has supported other PETA initiatives.

Al Sharpton and PETA (http://www.al-sharpton.com/news/) also stood up against Kentucky Fried Chicken and it's cruelty to animals.

MrChug
07-26-2007, 06:44 AM
Unfuckingbelieveable. Can't believe he actually took a semi-psuedo-sorta-kinda-almost strong stance. I'm proud of him.