PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Splitter

El_Mago
07-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Tiago Splitter will be meeting the press this coming Friday.

We can all expect to get clarification on his buy-out, his role with the Spurs, etc....

However, I got to thinking about Splitter and Scola.

Now that Scola has been traded to the Rockets and has officially been signed....does Tiago Splitter now become the best PF in Europe.

Scola had been touted as the best big man in Europe for years. He could of easily been a lottery pick any of the past years. Splitter is young, had been lottery bound these past couple of drafts...and slipped this year to the Spurs to 28...due his buy-out, NBA team needs, and overall better talent....

So, does Splitter now become the best big man in Europe?

And, who will be better overall...Splitter or Scola.

Darkwaters
07-18-2007, 07:15 PM
I think that Splitter is generally considered a center and not a PF...despite what his game indicates. Regardless, I'm not sure that Splitter would be the best big in europe at the start of the season, but if he blossoms as the primary post player (ie, he'll get more touches since Luis is gone) then he could possibly take that mantle by the end of the season. But you really have to watch and see what he does when hes not leaning on Scola.

Splitter could very well be the better player in the NBA of the two. If he fulfills his potential I think that is definitely the case. He is bigger, has better length, has superior athleticism and defensive skills to Scola. So it is very possible. But right now Scola very much has the edge.

barbacoataco
07-18-2007, 08:04 PM
From what I've seen (limited) Scola is more of an offensive player who can post up and create a shot. Splitter is bigger and more of a defensive player, but not a player who creates a shot and looks to score a lot. I've read that he scores most of his points on put backs and back door cuts.

It would seem that profile makes Splitter more valuable to the Spurs, since Splitter would play a similar role as Oberto.

bdictjames
07-18-2007, 08:07 PM
We can all expect to get clarification on his buy-out, his role with the Spurs, etc....

So is it official? Splitter is coming to play here in San Antonio?

EastsBeasts
07-18-2007, 08:09 PM
I think the spurs should trade Splitter, him on the spurs team makes Brasilians look bad.

Twisted_Dawg
07-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Tiago Splitter will be meeting the press this coming Friday.

However, I got to thinking about Splitter and Scola.

Now that Scola has been traded to the Rockets and has officially been signed....does Tiago Splitter now become the best PF in Europe.

Scola had been touted as the best big man in Europe for years. He could of easily been a lottery pick any of the past years. Splitter is young, had been lottery bound these past couple of drafts...and slipped this year to the Spurs to 28...due his buy-out, NBA team needs, and overall better talent....

So, does Splitter now become the best big man in Europe?

And, who will be better overall...Splitter or Scola.

If this is true about Scola.....then why weren't other teams lined up in droves to offer us a 1st round pick?

Darkwaters
07-18-2007, 08:10 PM
From what I've seen (limited) Scola is more of an offensive player who can post up and create a shot. Splitter is bigger and more of a defensive player, but not a player who creates a shot and looks to score a lot. I've read that he scores most of his points on put backs and back door cuts.

It would seem that profile makes Splitter more valuable to the Spurs, since Splitter would play a similar role as Oberto.

Splitter is definitely more of a defense and rebounding type of bigman right now. But I wonder how much of that is because he has been next to Scola for so long. Scola doesn't rebound, nor does he defend, so those are skills that Tiago had to develop. But he really was not asked to score much, so not much emphasis was put on him scoring. I think that it is feasible that with a year without Scola that his offensive game could become a valid tool of his that he could employ largely when Duncan is off the floor.

Darkwaters
07-18-2007, 08:17 PM

Yes he will probably play with the Spurs...but not next season.

bdictjames
07-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Yes he will probably play with the Spurs...but not next season.
Ok thx man that's a bummer.

El_Mago
07-18-2007, 08:41 PM

No.

Splitter will just meet with the Media and answer questions relating to him and the Spurs....should clarify some issues and concerns.

He will not be playing this season with the Spurs, but fully expect him to get offers from the Spurs next summer.

danyel
07-18-2007, 08:42 PM
I don't think Splitter even comes close to being considered one of the best big man in Europe. Papadopoulos, Smodis, Vujcic and Felipe Reyes could possible be considered top big men.

He's very good right now and is still young so he can still improve, but he's not a star type of player.

I think he's definitely and upgrade over Mahimini at the center position, more experienced, better all around, although I haven't seen Mahimini play that much.

MajorMike
07-18-2007, 09:10 PM
The best parts about Tiago are that he isn't a little bitch like Scola and he doesn't vanish in the playoffs every year and blame it on his team mates like Scola and he plays defense unlike Scola.

danyel
07-18-2007, 09:18 PM
believe what you want...

Spurs Brazil
07-19-2007, 04:20 AM
I don't think Splitter even comes close to being considered one of the best big man in Europe. Papadopoulos, Smodis, Vujcic and Felipe Reyes could possible be considered top big men.

I agree, he's good but not the best. But he's young and he cn improve working with the Spurs

Supreme_Being
07-19-2007, 04:28 AM
I agree, he's good but not the best. But he's young and he cn improve working with the Spurs

+1