PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: 12 players from championship roster return

timvp
07-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Spurs re-sign Oberto to three-year deal
Contract secures all 12 players from championship roster
Johnny Ludden

The Spurs re-signed center Fabricio Oberto on Wednesday to a three-year, $10.5 million contract, locking up all 12 members of their championship playoff roster from last season.

Oberto, 32, started 33 games last season and averaged 4.4 points and 4.7 rebounds. He regained the starting job from Francisco Elson midway through the second round of the playoffs and was especially effective in the Western Conference finals when he averaged 10.2 points and 7.8 rebounds while shooting 70 percent.

Oberto opted out of the final season of the three-year, $7.5 million contract he signed in July 2005 to become a free agent, but made it clear he wanted to return to the Spurs. The Spurs rewarded him with another multiyear deal, though the final season isn't fully guaranteed.

Having already re-signed Jacque Vaughn and Matt Bonner, the Spurs accomplished their goal of keeping last season's playoff roster intact.

They currently have 14 players under contract, but James White could be waived and guard Vassilis Spanoulis, acquired in last week's trade with Houston, may ask for his own release so he can play in Europe next season.

The Spurs have had talks with Portland free-agent swingman Ime Udoka, whose agent, Eric Cowan, said he is waiting to hear from Udoka about his decision.

Udoka turns 30 next month and is listed at 6-foot-5, so he doesn't perfectly fit the mold of the young, long, athletic small forward the Spurs have sought in recent seasons. But last season for the Trail Blazers, Udoka proved to be a rugged defender and dependable 3-point shooter, two skills the Spurs value highly.

Udoka started 75 games last season and averaged 8.4 points, 3.7 rebounds and 28.6 minutes. Prior to last season, he had only 12 games of NBA experience, including eight with the New York Knicks.

Tiago Splitter, the Spurs' recent first-round draft pick, will be in town this week to meet with team officials. Splitter will return to Spain to play for Tau Ceramica for one more season, after which the Spurs hope to sign him.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA20070719.06C.NZ.State.BKN_spurs_oberto_0719.30 fca45.html

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Reading between the lines, one of the 12 is gone if Udoka is signed.

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:11 PM

Will you become a Barry fan as quicky as you became a Butler fan?

And what do you think we'll get for him?

I realize that asking you to come out of bitch and whine mode is asking a lot...but do try to get your head out for a few and contribute something of a positive nature to the forum.

Thanks.

timvp
07-18-2007, 11:12 PM
The Spurs rewarded Oberto with another multiyear deal, though the final season isn't fully guaranteed.Wow. That's a nice bargain for Oberto. Three-years, $10.5M with the last season not fully guaranteed?

Couldn't have hoped for much better if you are Holt's pocketbook.

They currently have 14 players under contract, but James White could be waived and guard Vassilis Spanoulis, acquired in last week's trade with Houston, may ask for his own release so he can play in Europe next season.Sounds like White is gone. V-Span's situation doesn't seem that cut and dry yet.

The Spurs have had talks with Portland free-agent swingman Ime Udoka, whose agent, Eric Cowan, said he is waiting to hear from Udoka about his decision.I can guarantee you Udoka has to decide whether to take the money or join the Spurs for less money but more of a fit.

That's how the Spurs operate in contract negotiations.

Udoka turns 30 next month and is listed at 6-foot-5, so he doesn't perfectly fit the mold of the young, long, athletic small forward the Spurs have sought in recent seasons. Ludden must not realize that the replacement for Bowen and the mythical Long Three aren't necessarily the same player. It could and most likely has to be separate players.

Splitter will return to Spain to play for Tau Ceramica for one more season, after which the Spurs hope to sign him. :shootme @ "hope"

Russ
07-18-2007, 11:14 PM
My money is on Judas. :hat

timvp
07-18-2007, 11:16 PM

If you are going to try to trade Barry for a roster spot, his value would be lower than trying to trade Butler for a roster spot.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Sounds like White is gone. V-Span's situation doesn't seem that cut and dry yet.

Devil's advocate says that's posturing on the Spurs' part through their media mouthpiece to get Spanilououous to walk away from the contract.

Solid D
07-18-2007, 11:17 PM
That's just wrong, Russ. I've got to admit it crossed my mind too, though. :lol

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Devil's advocate says that's posturing on the Spurs' part through their media mouthpiece to get Spanilououous to walk away from the contract.

He already wants to walk away from the contract.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:19 PM
If you are going to try to trade Barry for a roster spot, his value would be lower than trying to trade Butler for a roster spot.

Yeah, finding a taker for his $5.5 mil salary would seem to be tougher, especially with no Scola to sweeten the offer.

ducks
spurs still need a backup point
Spanilououous would not be bad if he was not going to be a cancel
he has one year
he would also have a shot at a ring if he signed
spurs could win it for him then he can play anywhere he wants

Marcus Bryant
He already wants to walk away from the contract.

Sure, but wouldn't he prefer to get paid something to do so?

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:20 PM

Hmmm...what teams would be interested in Barry that wouldn't force the Spurs to take salary back or have trade exceptions?

That really limits the options...

And Barry won't be moved until other needs have been filled though IMO...

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Having already re-signed Jacque Vaughn and Matt Bonner, the Spurs accomplished their goal of keeping last season's playoff roster intact.

Yeah, who cares about improving?

The Truth #6
Maybe Pop wants Barry and Beno around for one more year. He needs to let out his frustration on somebody at practice.

whottt
Sure, but wouldn't he prefer to get paid something to do so?

He's already said he just wants to be released.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Will you become a Barry fan as quicky as you became a Butler fan?

I realize that asking you to come out of bitch and whine mode is asking a lot...but do try to get your head out for a few and contribute something of a positive nature to the forum.

Thanks.

How was the following "negative":

?

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:23 PM
He's already said he just wants to be released.

He could have already walked away from the contract. Why hasn't he?

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Maybe Pop wants Barry and Beno around for one more year. He needs to let out his frustration on somebody at practice.

I don't think he does...I'm certain he doesn't want Beno back.

Barry is trickier...Pop hates his game, he doesn't shoot enough or drive enough for Pop, and of course his D....still Pop has been forced to play him, he actually beat out Finley for the back up swing and Pop was moving towards him again in the finals.

I personally think the Spurs love Finley...but I am pretty sure they are concerned about his finals performance...with good reason. Pop doesn't want to get Smittied again. Barry is dicey...but if the Spurs get a defensive swing that can shoot...Barry is instantly gone.

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:25 PM
He could have already walked away from the contract. Why hasn't he?

I don't know but he was begging for the Rockets to release him. He can't play basketball in Europe until he's released. That's what he wants to do. If he was that concerned about money, he wouldn't have been playing for the Rockets in the first place.

He's Greek...

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:26 PM
I don't know but he was begging for the Rockets to release him. He can't play basketball in Europe until he's released. That's what he wants to do.

Sure, he wants to do it, but why hasn't he?

vander
07-18-2007, 11:26 PM

hey, don't mess with success :nope

just ask Miami :oops

Darkwaters
07-18-2007, 11:27 PM

Marcus Williams?

Marcus Bryant
I don't know but he was begging for the Rockets to release him. He can't play basketball in Europe until he's released. That's what he wants to do. If he was that concerned about money, he wouldn't have been playing for the Rockets in the first place.

He's Greek...

He wasn't looking to be paid on the 1st NBA contract. What did he have a problem with in Houston? PT. Why? 2nd NBA contract...

whottt
Sure, he wants to do it, but why hasn't he?

Well I have my theories...and you have yours. I'll just leave it at that...

But who do you think the Spurs would rather have? Beno...or Vassilis?

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Well I have my theories...and you have yours. I'll just leave it at that...

But who do you think the Spurs would rather have? Beno...or Vassilis?

What's your theory?

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:31 PM
He wasn't looking to be paid on the 1st NBA contract. What did he have a problem with in Houston? PT. Why? 2nd NBA contract...

I agree with that, and there is some merit to what you are saying...his agent could be saying hey...these guys want to release you...let's see what we can get from them. But that doesn't sound like something the kid would go for...if he really wants to get back to Europe.

That doesn't bother me...this kid is an ego maniac...the longer nothing happens, the more it's going to tempt him.

Didn't they say his agent is coming? That's probably when it'll get done if anything does.

Keep in mind this kid didn't originally want to be done with the NBA...he originally just wanted to be done with the Rockets...

Right now he could just not like the idea competing with the Parker Beno Vaughn backcourt...

One thing is for sure...his agent is going to want him to play in Greece and get released. That's when he gets paid. And that release opens the door for a quick return to the NBA as well.

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Did anyone else read that article about what a big fan Lindsey is of Vassilis?

Marcus Bryant
About the only way I could see the Spurs talking Spannilouous into joining the team (if that is what they wanted to do) is to guarantee him minutes and ballpark what his next contract would look like. Does that sound like something the Spurs would do?

ducks
if he has no confidence in beating out beno
I do not want him to wear a spur uniform

remingtonbo2001
I thought Beno was going to Cleveland for next to nothing.

timvp
Regarding V-Span, the Spurs are going to win that showdown. His agent might be asking the Spurs to buy him out. But the Spurs ain't having none of that. What they'll do is say that if V-Span wants to come play, they'll welcome him to training camp.

If it came down to it, the Spurs would rather have V-Span sitting on their bench than to pay him a buyout. But it won't come to that because V-Span is scared of America and him and his agent will wilt long before then.

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:35 PM
is to guarantee him minutes and ballpark what his next contract would look like. Does that sound like something the Spurs would do?

When hell freezes over...and right about now, that kind of guarantee is probably worthless to that kid anyway. He's already been lied too you know.

The Spurs aren't they Rockets though...their offense is much more appealing to aspiring point guards...not to mentioin the ring thing...

This kid has a huge freaking ego...have you read his interviews? Ring is going to appeal to him so he can be the first Greek to have one....

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:36 PM
if he has no confidence in beating out beno
I do not want him to wear a spur uniform

I don't think he's worried about beating out Beno...I think he's worried about becoming Beno. Because it just happened to him...

But I have a feeling the Spurs are a much more appealing situation to him....just based on the offense.

Would you want to play in the Rockets offense if you were a PG?

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:37 PM
When hell freezes over...and right about now, that kind of guarantee is probably worthless to that kid anyway. He's already been lied too you know.

The Spurs aren't they Rockets though...their offense is much more appealing to aspiring point guards...not to mentioin the ring thing...

This kid has a huge freaking ego...have you read his interviews? Ring is going to appeal to him so he can be the first Greek to have one....

He can play in his home country, be the man, and get paid today. Everyone knows that, so why pay him to go away? With a little patience, the truth will come out. And yes, I'd prefer the Spurs to not pay for a player who won't be on the team. Unless that has some bearing on another free agent signing, like say, Udoka.

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:39 PM
He can play in his home country, be the man, and get paid today.

He's already done that...

Everyone knows that, so why pay him to go away? With a little patience, the truth will come out.

I agree on both points.

And yes, I'd prefer the Spurs to not pay for a player who won't be on the team. Unless that has some bearing on another free agent signing, like say, Udoka.

Obviously...but if he wants to play...if he wants to play for the Spurs, with no guarantees...if he changes his tune...you want him? Or Beno?

timvp
07-18-2007, 11:40 PM
The Spurs better not low ball Udoka to the point that he can't accept the offer. There are rumors of an offer he has on the table that is 2-years and $3.8M. Knowing the Spurs, that could very well be their offer.

Even though Udoka would want to come to San Antonio, could anyone blame him if he took an offer for two or three times that?

Although Udoka isn't Michael Jordan or anything, he's the only readily available swingman I see this summer. Barnes, Pietrus and Posey are pipe dream compared to Udoka.

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:41 PM
All I know is this kid has a quicker first step than Manu or Parker...go you tube him.

timvp
07-18-2007, 11:42 PM
All I know is this kid has a quicker first step than Manu or Parker...go you tube him.Someone please tell me I didn't just read that.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:43 PM
The Spurs better not low ball Udoka to the point that he can't accept the offer. There are rumors of an offer he has on the table that is 2-years and $3.8M. Knowing the Spurs, that could very well be their offer.

Even though Udoka would want to come to San Antonio, could anyone blame him if he took an offer for two or three times that?

Spurs fans will find a way.

It would be rather nearsighted for the Spurs to lose out on Udoka. If they can't find a quality perimeter defender then they are going to have to rethink their entire defensive and offensive strategy post-Bowen, with them likely moving towards 'more offense' as a matter of course.

The Spurs have $20 mil in salary coming off the books after next season with Splitter and Mahinmi coming in at $700K per when they sign. And they're pinching pennies now?

genghisrex
07-18-2007, 11:44 PM
I thought that figure was the maximum that the Blazers could pay him, and not necessarily an actual offer that had been made by anyone. Am I wrong?

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:45 PM
I thought that figure was the maximum that the Blazers could pay him, and not necessarily an actual offer that had been made by anyone. Am I wrong?

You may be correct. I think all Portland has left after Blake and Outlaw is the LLE. So the Spurs probably offered a buck more.

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:45 PM
If it came down to it, the Spurs would rather have V-Span sitting on their bench than to pay him a buyout. But it won't come to that because V-Span is scared of America and him and his agent will wilt long before then.

Are you really aware of how the Rockets and Van Gundy handled this kid? Read Bruno's link...Van Gundy had determined this kids fate before he ever even suited up. Van Gundy is also fired now...and his teams underachieved.

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Someone please tell me I didn't just read that.

You read it...he does. Go watch him.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Are you really aware of how the Rockets and Van Gundy handled this kid? Read Bruno's link...Van Gundy had determined this kids fate before he ever even suited up. Van Gundy is also fired now...and his teams underachieved.

Sure, he didn't get any minutes and was pissed about it. He expected that his name should have guaranteed him a spot in the rotation. Sound like a Spur?

ducks
07-18-2007, 11:47 PM
You may be correct. I think all Portland has left after Blake and Outlaw is the LLE. So the Spurs probably offered a buck more.
you start low then work up no :rolleyes

dbreiden83080
07-18-2007, 11:48 PM
What about Timmy's contract extension? I thought the Spurs were taking care of that this offseason since he can opt out at the end of next year. Not that i think he would leave but why chance it get that deal done now instead of at the end of next year, or even during the season.

genghisrex
That said, I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Spurs made an offer in that ballpark (maybe slightly more) if they thought they were only competing with Portland. Unfortunately, if Memphis is truly interested, that's probably a losing gamble.

ducks
Sure, he didn't get any minutes and was pissed about it. He expected that his name should have guaranteed him a spot in the rotation. Sound like a Spur?
sounds like sj when he wanted that new contract

timvp
07-18-2007, 11:49 PM
I thought that figure was the maximum that the Blazers could pay him, and not necessarily an actual offer that had been made by anyone. Am I wrong?Good question. I could be wrong about that. I'll look for where I read it.

Marcus Bryant
sounds like sj when he wanted that new contract

Where'd Jack end up?

ducks
going to mem or spurs should not be a tough choice

hopefully mem wants posey more

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:50 PM

Someone's offering more.

ducks
07-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Where'd Jack end up?
the different is he has a contract
he can not play in euro right now :cooldevil

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:51 PM

Well now that you mention it...it sounds like Jack.

Marcus Bryant
Remember when Jack re-signed?

ducks
Someone's offering more.
spurs could have offered more now that mem is in the bidding
they are not going to tell you

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Never mind...ducks you mind letting me swing first when Marcus offers up a softball like that?

I've got issues. Thanks.

And Bruce Bowen didn't come here to ride the bench either....

timvp
07-18-2007, 11:52 PM
You read it...he does. Go watch him.I've watched him play 15-20 full games. He's nowhere near as quick as Parker. And when Manu is 100% healthy, Manu is also quicker.

I really hope the Spurs sign him so you can see first hand how ridiculous that take is. For giggles, post a couple of these "quicker than TP or Manu" YouTube links.

MI21
07-18-2007, 11:53 PM
No way in hell Udoka has a quicker first step than Parker. There is only a handful of players in the whole league that you could even try and argue are quicker on the first step.

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:53 PM
I've watched him play 15-20 full games. He's nowhere near as quick as Parker. And when Manu is 100% healthy, Manu is also quicker.

I really hope the Spurs sign him so you can see first hand how ridiculous that take is. For giggles, post a couple of these "quicker than TP or Manu" YouTube links.

I didn't say he's overall quicker...speedwise he's probably about Manu's speed...he's faster than Beno though for sure.

With ball...his first step is quicker, than Parker or Manu.

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2007, 11:54 PM
spurs could have offered more now that mem is in the bidding
they are not going to tell you

Udoka had 3 year, $10-12 mil offer early last week. Now Memphis is interested. Meanwhile it's known that the Spurs are interested in him, which is enough to get the 'next Bowen' tag on him.

whottt
No way in hell Udoka has a quicker first step than Parker. There is only a handful of players in the whole league that you could even try and argue are quicker on the first step.

I wasn't sayin Udoka LMAO.

I was saying Vassilis.

remingtonbo2001
What about Timmy's contract extension? I thought the Spurs were taking care of that this offseason since he can opt out at the end of next year. Not that i think he would leave but why chance it get that deal done now instead of at the end of next year, or even during the season.

I thought Timmy could opt out this year. By doing so, he would consider taking a small pay cut, ala Jason Kidd in '03. I not judging Tim, he's a great guy, but com'on man 19 million/year. Wouldn't you rather have 7-8 rings getting 17/year, or 5 rings at 19/year. Yeah, it's a 2 million dollar cut per season. Still 17 million/year is a lot of money.

timvp
07-18-2007, 11:55 PM
No way in hell Udoka has a quicker first step than Parker. There is only a handful of players in the whole league that you could even try and argue are quicker on the first step.Worse yet, whottt is talking about V-Span.

timvp
With ball...his first step is quicker, than Parker or Manu.

Link?

Marcus Bryant
whottt talks out of his ass so friggin' often. At least he has a schtick, which is probably firmly implanted in his ass.

justanotherspursfan
07-18-2007, 11:56 PM
R.C. has balls of steel when he negotiates, and as far as I'm concerned, good for him.

Like virtually every other team in the league, the Spurs try to stay under the cap, so being a tough negotiator means we (a) get better players for the limited money we have, and (b) have contracts that are easier to move if someone doesn't work out.

Is anyone dumb enough to go to Memphis for an extra million a year really Spurs material?

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Remember when Jack re-signed?

Remember when you were a Jack Fan? And thought he sounded like a Spur...it was just 10 mins ago, before you asked a selfasskicking question.

timvp
07-18-2007, 11:57 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=r-MiH4LEYp8

Look at this guy's blazing speed. He's quicker than Parker.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

whottt
07-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Link?

Now you know as well as I do that no matter what link I give you, you aren't going to agree...it's like you just got a finals worth of proof that Finley is a choker and I don't see you conceding that point.

MI21
07-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Oh my bad, I thought the convo was about Udoka.

I didn't think I could of been reading such a ridiculous take...

Carry on gentlemen, I know nothing of this V-Span dude.

whottt
07-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Try this one instead...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XT7uOvKGvR8&mode=related&search=

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Remember when you were a Jack Fan? And thought he sounded like a Spur...it was just 10 mins ago, before you asked a selfasskicking question.

Sure, Jack wanted a big payday and a guaranteed spot. Next Jack was playing for the LLE in Atlanta. How exactly does this undermine my point?

Meth kills. Your brain cells.

whottt
07-19-2007, 12:02 AM
This kid's got quick feet...I don't know what video ya'll are watching. Overall speedwise he's not as fast as Parker...but he's got quick feet, he's a got a quick first step, he's so quick I think he traveled twice on one of his drives.

timvp
07-19-2007, 12:02 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ILXsR691EJY

V-Span steals the ball and has a break away layup .... but then everyone on the court including the ref catches up to him.

ducks
07-19-2007, 12:03 AM
he does not like to back done

Marcus Bryant
R.C. has balls of steel when he negotiates, and as far as I'm concerned, good for him.

Like virtually every other team in the league, the Spurs try to stay under the cap, so being a tough negotiator means we (a) get better players for the limited money we have, and (b) have contracts that are easier to move if someone doesn't work out.

Is anyone dumb enough to go to Memphis for an extra million a year really Spurs material?

That's not the concern. If it's 2 years, $5 mil from the Spurs versus, say, 3 years, $12 mil from the Grizz could the man really be faulted for choosing to play the game there?

whottt
Sure, Jack wanted a big payday and a guaranteed spot. Next Jack was playing for the LLE in Atlanta. How exactly does this undermine my point?

Meth kills. Your brain cells.

I agree the Spurs won't go for it...but you were in the middle of saying he was a pussy when you asked if he sounded like a Spur...I just brought up that one of the board favortes did that...so be careful about throwing around the PT pussy label.

And like I said...Bowen didn't come here to ride the bench.

whottt
07-19-2007, 12:05 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ILXsR691EJY

V-Span steals the ball and has a break away layup .... but then everyone on the court including the ref catches up to him.

Big deal...you act like Parker and Manu have never been caught from behind. It happens...and for the 10th time...I didn't say his overall speed was that great...although he's faster than you are willing to admit.

I just don't agree with your method of judging quick feet...

Bowen has the quickest feet on this team...that doesn't mean he's the fastest player.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 12:07 AM
I agree the Spurs won't go for it...but you were in the middle of saying he was a pussy when you asked if he sounded like a Spur...I just brought up that one of the board favortes did that...so be careful about throwing around the PT pussy label.

And like I said...Bowen didn't come here to ride the bench.

I said his demands were not Spur-like. When Jack made those the next week he was headed to Atlanta.

whottt
07-19-2007, 12:08 AM
The kid is supposed to be a good defensive player too...at least by European standards...and from what I've seen watching him, his defense is because of his feet.

justanotherspursfan
07-19-2007, 12:08 AM
That's not the concern. If it's 2 years, $5 mil from the Spurs versus, say, 3 years, $12 mil from the Grizz could the man really be faulted for choosing to play the game there?
Since the rumored numbers keep dropping, my suspicion is that is was his agent floating them.

$4 million a year is an awful lot of money for a guy with one real year of NBA experience and limited upside due to his age. Wallace might be dumb enough to make that offer, but I wouldn't step in the middle of that one-man bidding war any more than I would try to compete with Orlando for Rashard Lewis.

whottt
07-19-2007, 12:09 AM
I said his demands were not Spur-like. When Jack made those the next week he was headed to Atlanta.

Yeah well...I doubt the Spurs will go for it too. Although again...Bowen wasn't guranteed pt, but he was guranteed a chance to start. That's why he came here at such a bargain rate.

timvp
07-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Try this one instead...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XT7uOvKGvR8&mode=related&search=

:lol

Do you realize who is guarding him in that video? Pablo Prigioni who despite being a great passer is an amazingly slow and poor defender. Travis Hansen who is a 6-foot-6 small forward. And I think I saw Igor Rakocevic on him and that guy makes Steve Nash look like Bruce Bowen.

I really hope V-Span comes to the Spurs now just so you can see how horrible that take of yours is.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Who are we discussing, the player the Spurs are pursuing in free agency or the one they want to walk away?

Mr. Body
07-19-2007, 12:14 AM
This guy Spanoulis has incredible hops. I've seen video of him jumping clear over the backboard but not before flicking the ball expertly behind his back into the hoop. In fact, you have to wonder if it's a liability to have jumping ability quite at that level. You should look it up on youtube.

/whottt

genghisrex
07-19-2007, 12:16 AM
you act like Parker and Manu have never been caught from behind.
With Beno on the team, I'm pretty sure all the guys have been 'caught from behind.'

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 12:17 AM
I'd rather the Spurs sign Udoka than find out firsthand that the Greek is made for Greek basketball.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Udoka - fits the profile of what the Spurs like in a player. Well grounded, no stupidity, will defend, fits a role, shoots well from outside, and won't break the bank. If they were ever going to find a 'Bowen replacement', it's him.

Spanoulis - too many questions, even if he were to join the team. When will he pout? When will he demand to leave again? Also, he reminds me of a lot of 'dominant', 'great' international guards whose games did not translate well to the NBA. Sarunas Jasikevicius was supposed to be the shit, a guard who played great against Team USA. We've seen how that's worked out in the NBA. The Spurs would be better served not wasting any more time than necessary to get him to walk away from his contract for nothing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2007, 12:36 AM

That works great if you're the only bidder, not so much if you've got Memphis running around with the MLE to offer.

Mr. Body
07-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Udoka - fits the profile of what the Spurs like in a player. Well grounded, no stupidity, will defend, fits a role, shoots well from outside, and won't break the bank. If they were ever going to find a 'Bowen replacement', it's him.

Spanoulis - too many questions, even if he were to join the team. When will he pout? When will he demand to leave again? Also, he reminds me of a lot of 'dominant', 'great' international guards whose games did not translate well to the NBA. Sarunas Jasikevicius was supposed to be the shit, a guard who played great against Team USA. We've seen how that's worked out in the NBA. The Spurs would be better served not wasting any more time than necessary to get him to walk away from his contract for nothing.

Here's a take: One of those players did pretty well in the NBA, the other blew chunks.

venitian navigator
07-19-2007, 02:34 AM

Well, nor Jasikevicious nor Spanoulis have played their legitimate role in nba...they were point guards, all their like, and they have been played, by their nba coaches, like shooting guards.
Sometimes I think that coaches don't realize how much they can destroy a player confidence...I agree that if you're a good player you can play well in every position, but...anyone, given the circumstances, can show well or bad.

Hoy
07-19-2007, 02:44 AM
Well, nor Jasikevicious nor Spanoulis have played their legitimate role in nba...they were point guards, all their like, and they have been played, by their nba coaches, like shooting guards.
Sometimes I think that coaches don't realize how much they can destroy a player confidence...I agree that if you're a good player you can play well in every position, but...anyone, given the circumstances, can show well or bad.

You conveniently gloss over the fact that they can't play point guard position in NBA. They have hard time bring the ball over the half-court, make bad passes, can't guard anyone, and shoots badly.
They are the Benos.

spurscenter
07-19-2007, 06:17 AM
i have a feeling Barry is gonna shine this season and be traded by deadline.

I wish there was room for White, he will be a stud one day

hsxvvd
07-19-2007, 06:49 AM
I'm not sure Barry is all that UNWANTED, ok 5.5 mil would be nice off the books, but he does seem to be an important chemistry/locker room type guy. Given Bonner is worth 3 and only plays junk time, Barry at 5.5 is not such a bad deal for this year at least.

ploto
07-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Tiago Splitter, the Spurs' recent first-round draft pick, will be in town this week to meet with team officials. Splitter will return to Spain to play for Tau Ceramica for one more season, after which the Spurs hope to sign him.
This seems rather interesting. He is coming to SA to meet with the team and see the city... I am sure Tau will offer him a huge contract- maybe even this summer, like they did Scola. I still believe that part of the Spurs impetus for how they played the whole "we want to help Scola realize his dream of playing in the NBA" was about Splitter.

ArgSpursFan
07-19-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm not sure Barry is all that UNWANTED, ok 5.5 mil would be nice off the books, but he does seem to be an important chemistry/locker room type guy. Given Bonner is worth 3 and only plays junk time, Barry at 5.5 is not such a bad deal for this year at least.

5.5 M for Barry is way too much at his age.Maibe before He turned 30 but not right now.I wouldn´t give him more tham what we pay J.Vaughn,Honestly.

leemajors
07-19-2007, 08:35 AM
MB's avatar change deserves props.

spurster
07-19-2007, 10:00 AM
I think this roster is a wee too old. Picking up Udoka might be a big help, but usually the first year on the Spurs is rough. Udoka or White this year is a gamble, but I would expect Udoka to fit in well after that.

wildbill2u
07-19-2007, 10:21 AM
V-Span says he misses him mama and his homeboys more than he wants to play in the NBA and that it ain't about money and that's final. He wants to play in Greece.

I suppose one could take him at his word if he continues to talk that way through his agent.

wildbill2u
07-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Udoka - fits the profile of what the Spurs like in a player. Well grounded, no stupidity, will defend, fits a role, shoots well from outside, and won't break the bank. If they were ever going to find a 'Bowen replacement', it's him." Marcus Bryant

Well, I'd agree with most of that until the last sentence.

I don't see a 6'5" 30 year old as a replacement for 6'7" Bowen in the long run. Maybe a stop gap backup at SG and at SF when we go small--real small--next year. And since he started a bunch of games last year he'd have to agree to play a lot less minutes next season and be happy with that.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Maybe Bowen is 6'6". If the difference was 6'10" v 6'5" it might matter.

rascal
07-19-2007, 11:27 AM

Exactly, staying the same is going backwards. Its unbelievable the spurs have won with the conservative cheap front office and their moves or lack of moves. That just shows you how great Duncan really is. Most on this forum could win given Duncan as a franchise building block.

Other than hitting on the Parker and Manu draft pick steals the spurs fo has done nothing in getting much in trades or free agency.

spurster
07-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Exactly, staying the same is going backwards. Its unbelievable the spurs have won with the conservative cheap front office and their moves or lack of moves. That just shows you how great Duncan really is. Most on this forum could win given Duncan as a franchise building block.

Other than hitting on the Parker and Manu draft pick steals the spurs fo has done nothing in getting much in trades or free agency.
What about Speedy (at least for one year), Bowen, Horry, and Oberto? Some here would add Finley.

rascal
07-19-2007, 01:42 PM
All marginal talent there. Just role players that could be interchangeable with other role players.