PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo: Udoka Update

Supergirl
07-19-2007, 07:59 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Spurs-ready-to-sign-Udoka;_ylt=AjSjixmz1Hz1yTzmQM5BCiC8vLYF?urn=nba,39 678

But they may give up Udrih to get him. Which would be worth it.

justanotherspursfan
07-19-2007, 08:02 AM
Sweet! getting Udoka would be way cool. Dumping Beno would also be way cool.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Hmmm...that is based on the report from Wed.

ploto
07-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Nothing new.

ducks
07-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Spurs ready to sign Udoka
Thursday, Jul 19, 2007 5:00 am EDT

Getty Images
The word is that the San Antonio Spurs are ready to sign Portland Trail Blazers' defensive wing Ime Udoka, who had a good year last year, but right now the Spurs are over the luxury-tax threshold and want to get under it to make the deal.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have guard David Wesley (cap number $1.8 million, real money owed $250,000) and a $2.2 million trade exception. There may be a deal to be made there, remember the Cavs like third-string point guard Beno Udrih. The Cavs could trade either for Udrih, if the Spurs can part with him for nothing in return, which isn't certain. Although, they just gave away Luis Scola and Jackie Butler to the Houston Rockets for no players in return.

Source: Beacon Journal

Related: Jackie Butler, Ime Udoka, Cleveland Cavaliers, Houston Rockets, Portland Trail Blazers, San Antonio Spurs

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Don't mean nuthin till he sahn on tha dotted lahn...

Darkwaters
07-19-2007, 08:24 AM
If we had to dump Beno to get Udoka I think I'd like it better. It would force the Spurs to sign a different PG instead of the Slovenian Sensation and let us all move on with our lives.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2007, 08:28 AM
If we had to dump Beno to get Udoka I think I'd like it better. It would force the Spurs to sign a different PG instead of the Slovenian Sensation and let us all move on with our lives.

Agreed. However Portland are already overloaded with PGs (4!). Third team in the deal maybe?

Darkwaters - who's in the sombrero in your avatar, and when was that taken?

Darkwaters
07-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Agreed. However Portland are already overloaded with PGs (4!). Third team in the deal maybe?

Yea, thats why they were talking about the Cavs taking Beno and sending the Blazers their trade exception.

By the way, the Blazers are actually ever more loaded at PG than you think. They also have the rights to Petteri Koponen now. So...Jack, Rodriguez, Blake, Green and the rights to Koponen. Yikes. I wouldn't mind picking up Jarrett Jack along the way...

leemajors
07-19-2007, 08:31 AM

Darkwaters - who's in the sombrero in your avatar, and when was that taken?
james white at the alamodome celebration.

YODA
07-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Could be BS, but did you read the blog under this articlethat said a guy had a beer with Udoka and was toold he would help the spurs or something like that.

Yoda
Do or do not...there is no try

Darkwaters
07-19-2007, 08:36 AM

Yep, the legendary sombrero picture.

James White!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2007, 08:47 AM

Cheers, hadn't noticed it before. Great photo, priceless actually. :)

Walton Buys Off Me
07-19-2007, 08:54 AM
This is the same report that was floating around everywhere yesterday, nothing new here.

P.S. Nobody wants Beno Udrih. He's not worth a roster spot, hell he's not worth the material used to make a jersey. One man's junk is not necessarily another man's treasure.

SequSpur
07-19-2007, 09:01 AM
sequspursider

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2007, 09:07 AM
i prefer brandon roy though

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2007, 09:14 AM

:wtf have you got ADD? WTF has that got to do with anything? :lmao

Solid D
07-19-2007, 09:18 AM

fantasy league forum

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2007, 09:27 AM
fantasy league forum

A-ha!

:lol

Lebowski Brickowski
07-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Udoka will probably be 33 before he's fit to play -- AS "BRUCES REPLACEMENT??????" wtf --
sign Matt Barnes for the love of God.

Supergirl
07-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Udoka will probably be 33 before he's fit to play -- AS "BRUCES REPLACEMENT??????" wtf --

Udoka is ready to go now. PLayed very well last year, he's in his prime. He'll split minutes with Bruce, who came into his prime at 30, too. Udoka being able to take over will give us 4-5 more years of having a premier outside defender.

nkdlunch
07-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Please let Beno be gone!

BacktoBasics
07-19-2007, 09:47 AM
sign Matt Barnes for the love of God.I totally agree with this. A lot of people feel Matt wouldn't fit and even though is game is more free wheeling and diverse I'd like over Udoka anyday.

nkdlunch
07-19-2007, 09:50 AM
fuck no. Matt barnes 15 minutes of fame are over. just watch.

I would have loved to get pietrus though, now that's a balla

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 09:51 AM

Sign both and dump Barry. It's funny how the thought of signing a couple of players to less than MLE contracts is felt to be so unreasonable in this forum. Especially in light of the Spurs dropping $20 mil off their payroll after next season and having guys like Splitter and Mahinmi locked into cheap rookie contracts when they join the team. But, I know, the Spurs win titles when Nellie does the heavy lifting.

Streakyshooter08
07-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Sign both and dump Barry.

:smokin

Lebowski Brickowski
07-19-2007, 09:57 AM
fuck no. Matt barnes 15 minutes of fame are over. just watch.

I would have loved to get pietrus though, now that's a balla

I don't know much about Pietrus, other than the fact that everyone here likes him a lot.

As far as Matt Barnes -- his energetic, hard-nosed style is what I like, plus his shot and ability to play down low for a 3.
His 15 minutes is up but his attributes mean he will be a steady, hard-nosed worker for a long time to come.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 09:58 AM
I don't know much about Pietrus, other than the fact that everyone here likes him a lot.

As far as Matt Barnes -- his energetic, hard-nosed style is what I like, plus his shot and ability to play down low for a 3.
His 15 minutes is up but his attributes mean he will be a steady, hard-nosed worker for a long time to come.

Udoka to play the 2, Barnes to play the 3. Both to study under the Master.

pad300
07-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Yea, thats why they were talking about the Cavs taking Beno and sending the Blazers their trade exception.

By the way, the Blazers are actually ever more loaded at PG than you think. They also have the rights to Petteri Koponen now. So...Jack, Rodriguez, Blake, Green and the rights to Koponen. Yikes. I wouldn't mind picking up Jarrett Jack along the way...

According to a Mod at realgm, Koponen has already signed a rookie contract with Portland
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=690748&start=53

Personally, I would have kept him overseas for another year, but hes already signed a rookie contract with Portland. I don't know why they would have signed him if they weren't planning on keeping him in the NBA. That situation just kinda confuses me to be honest.

I haven't seen a news article confirming this. However, I can find one saying that they gave green a guaranteed contract, http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=118437065551791000
Which does indeed make 4 pg's on the roster, and maybe 5 if this Spykes guy is right. Maybe they would be interested in doing an S&T

Udoka (resigned starting at 3,138,096, which would be the min we could offer for this S&T to work. Maybe structure the contract like Hinrichs, with reducing salary...)
Jack $1,217,400 this year

for

Barry $5,544,370 this year

We would then be in a position to dump Beno somewhere (by the side of the road in Greece somewhere when we go play in Panathaikos for our exhibition at the start of next season...).

Bigs: Duncan, Horry, Oberto, Bonner, Elson, ?Mahinmi?
Wings: Manu, Bowen, Finley, Udoka, ?White?, ?Williams?
PG's: Parker, Vaughn, Jack

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 10:13 AM

Portland doesn't have Bird Rights with Udoka (early or full). There's not a reason to include them.

wildbill2u
07-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Last I heard Udoka was 6'5" Has he grown? Can he play SG or will he simply fill in at SF when we go small--real small?

And don't give me that 'wingspan' shit. We're not talking about saving the California condors but a BB player that can be taken down low in the post by a taller offensive player.

Or is this some kind of alphabet joke by the League office where we have to keep at least one of the two players in the NBA whose names start with "U" (Udrich & Udoka) on the Spurs roster?

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Has it hurt Bowen that much? Maybe Bruce is 6'6".

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Udoka to play the 2, Barnes to play the 3. Both to study under the Master.

We wish.

MoSpur
07-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I think Barry would fit really good w/Golden State. I doubt it would happend or could work, but I want Pietrus in a Spurs uniform.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2007, 10:29 AM
No new report or information. This yahoo article just links to the Beacon blog that was out days ago.

MoSpur
07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
I read somewhere that Piestrus has interest in playing for Dallas.

djohn14
07-19-2007, 10:38 AM
I read somewhere that Piestrus has interest in playing for Dallas.
Yeah, he said the Mavs, Cavs, and Heat have talked to him, but all would have to make a S&T.

smrattler
07-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Udoka is ready to go now. PLayed very well last year, he's in his prime. He'll split minutes with Bruce, who came into his prime at 30, too. Udoka being able to take over will give us 4-5 more years of having a premier outside defender.

Low mileage 30yr old like Bowen too. Bounced around like him. Would show appreication I think for a nice contract. And If he's as dedicated as Bowen with his conditioning, he should have plenty left. If he's not, he will be when Bowen talks to him.

Darkwaters
07-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Last I heard Udoka was 6'5" Has he grown? Can he play SG or will he simply fill in at SF when we go small--real small?

And don't give me that 'wingspan' shit. We're not talking about saving the California condors but a BB player that can be taken down low in the post by a taller offensive player.

Or is this some kind of alphabet joke by the League office where we have to keep at least one of the two players in the NBA whose names start with "U" (Udrich & Udoka) on the Spurs roster?

Desmond Mason is 6'5 and he has been starting at SF for a long time. Heck, Charles Barkley was 6'5 and he started at PF. So I don't really see an issue. But frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing Udoka play more of a SG rolel with another player brought in to be our future SF.

Mr. Body
07-19-2007, 11:05 AM
There was nothing official about that article at all.

Jump the Gun/False Alarm Forum.

genghisrex
07-19-2007, 11:11 AM

Udoka weighs 20 lbs more than Bruce so I don't see why he'd be a post-up liability against most SGs and SFs. And believe it or not a long wingspan can help against taller players.

mountainballer
07-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Desmond Mason is 6'5 and he has been starting at SF for a long time. Heck, Charles Barkley was 6'5 and he started at PF. So I don't really see an issue. But frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing Udoka play more of a SG rolel with another player brought in to be our future SF.

Mason is a good example for mixed up measurements: his official measurements before the draft 2000 were:
6' 6" (without shoes)
6' 7.25" (with shoes)
224 lbs
7' 0" (wingspan)
8' 10" (standing reach)

I don't know why he is always listed at 6-5 or 6-6 at best. anyhow, thats why he is so often labeled undersized.

just for the comparison:

Carmelo Anthony
6' 6.25"
6' 7.5"
233 lbs
7' 0"
8' 9.5"

Melo has almost exactly the same measurements. but he is constantly listed at 6-8. usually he is described as "great size for a SF" (and his in fact good wingspan is mentioned)

I couldn't find official numbers for Udoka, but I post this as an example for the often very inaccurate numbers about a players size.
so, maybe Udoka is less "undersized" than some think. (he is also listed at 6-6 on some sites). the better way is to just watch some of his game videos and look how he did on defense against players of the same size or taller players.
I'm sure the FO did do this a bit, before they inquired about him.

http://www.draftexpress.com/measurements.php?year=All&sort2=ASC&draft=0&sort=

ploto
07-19-2007, 12:15 PM
It has already been explained by Bruno that Portland can not sign and trade Udoka for anything more than about $1M.

barbacoataco
07-19-2007, 12:18 PM
I live in Portland now, and I saw Udoka play in person about 12 times last year, and a bunch on TV. He is like Bowen in that he can guard a quick perimeter player, and also bigger post-up players. He is strong, and able to keep post-up scorers from getting good position. He also likes the corner 3-pt. shot just like Bowen, and shoots a good %. In many games it was Udoka and Roy who played the best on the team. The only reason the Blazers are letting him go (?) is that they are loaded with younger players. I really hope the Spurs can sign Udoka. But it won't be the end of the world if they don't.

El_Mago
07-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I think Udoka is headed to Memphis.

Solid D
07-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I love this quote from Ime Udoka

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janny Hu
San Francisco Chronicle
Sunday, January 21, 2007

FAST BREAKS

QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"I want to become like Bruce Bowen. If I can get that reputation, it will help, because they let Bruce do whatever he wants."

Blazers forward Ime Udoka, after holding LeBron James to 23 points on 8-of-21 shooting in Wednesday's blowout over the Cavs.

barbacoataco
07-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Another thing about Udoka- he can drive to the basket and score when given an opening. He's not a great slasher, but he's much better than Bowen. In the Spurs offense, this comes in handy.

newbiefan
07-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Thought At The Beginning Of The Trade That Cleveland Wanted Beno To Start W// .. Remember Reading Somewhere In Hoopshype, Hoopsworld.. One Of Those

El_Mago
07-19-2007, 12:24 PM
I know the Spurs have offered Udoka a deal.

It's now just up to Udoka to decide.

If he really wants to become Bruce Bowen he should come and learn from the best.

His game would improve so much here.

However, I still think he's headed to Memphis.

MajorMike
07-19-2007, 12:32 PM
I would love to have Mason.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Udoka is an idiot if he doesn't sign here.

mountainballer
07-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Udoka is 30 and has never made more than minimum money. this will be his only shot at a contract for more than just a single season.
he would be an idiot if he didn't try to make the best out of his likely only chance.
if the Grizzlies (or whatever other team) offer more, even if it not much more, he will take the better offer.
Spurs won't get him for the LLE, as some mentioned as an option. they will have to offer the same like the Grizzlies. (who have about 2.8 million cap-space left). this would turn into exactly the mentioned 3 years/9 million contract that was mentioned. (assuming he won't get more than 3 years of either team)

Da Spurs
07-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Spurs aren't going to offer a guy $3 mil to play at this point because it would cost them at least $8 mil. $3 mil salary, $3 mil in luxury tax, and $2 mil or more lost in luxury tax sharing. They would have to dump Beno to even think about doing something.

spursfaninla
07-19-2007, 03:07 PM
I dont' see a danger of Bowen "breaking down," but more likely becoming less effective because of age through slowing down. Defense is partially predicated on being about to keep in front of a guy. Bruce is effective because he can get into guys grill and messing up the jump shot. If they get by him, the defense is predicated on the big men rotating and getting in the way of slashing, but this only works if guys can't get by him consistently and easily (otherwise the bigs will get into too much foul trouble). Its inevitable that age deteriorates your speed. Bowen is OLD. His conditioning can hold this effect off for only so long.

mountainballer
07-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Spurs aren't going to offer a guy $3 mil to play at this point because it would cost them at least $8 mil. $3 mil salary, $3 mil in luxury tax, and $2 mil or more lost in luxury tax sharing. They would have to dump Beno to even think about doing something.

they would have time till next april to somehow dump about 2 million.
didn't we have about 10 million posts and 1 million articles praising the genious of the Spurs FO.
and now people lose faith that they won't be able to work out a deal in about 9 months that solves the lux tax problem?
tons of expiring contracts and a league loaded with teams that own trade exceptions (17 teams own currently 25 TEs, about half of those would be suited for such a Beno dumping move). if the player for nothing isn't enough, the Spurs can add cash to pay parts of the salary and would still benefit.
there are so many ways to do this.
I thought we have a competent FO.
so let's sign Udoka and solve the tax problem later.