PDA

View Full Version : =Vista may put me out of Business=

=RTM=
07-19-2007, 10:27 PM
=I had a perfect record of fixing every desktop and notebook that comes to my apartment. I found that very rare. (knock on wood) then this man brings a 1,700.00 dollar HP laptop with Vista. IE will not respond properly. Firefox works fine, and he is virus free,(according to Avast) but Vista comes with Defender It's like Zone alarm on steroids. You can't even go use the restroom without asking it for permission. I can't use my Ewido software unless I deactivate it.

I went to Microsoft to update IE and I saw no Vista update link. It was all beta. It's probably a simple fix but since I am not familiar with Vista? I look like a retard. I had to accept defeat , and give him back his 5.00 dollars.

I guess all good things must come to an end sooner or later. I just need to find another line of work.

Thank you Vista.=

Vista may put me out of Business.

sabar
07-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Kill Defender... at least you can on XP

ducks
07-19-2007, 10:32 PM
vista sucks
nothing works with it

Zombie
07-19-2007, 10:33 PM
I want a puter good enough to run Vista. It looks like an awesome operating system.

=RTM=
07-19-2007, 10:42 PM
The only reason I did not deactivate Defender was these guys from India use their laptops at USAA for everyday work and if they change anything they lose their warranties. I guess USAA provided them with the Notebooks. But what I found strange was the HP service tech on the phone told him to install XP. I found it strange an HP service tech would advise such a thing. But since the person on the phone was from India, like the man who has the notebook? I can see how they look out for their own people. There must be a flood of calls coming in complaining about Vista.

I will spend the next 72 hours familiarizing myself with Vista so this does not happen again. If anyone wants to make some side cash i will send you all my Vista jobs to you.

Please leave me your # . I have over 3 laptops a day with Issues since I signed up with Rey from Office Max. I am starting to understand why Bill Gates left when he did.

=RTM=
07-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Here is his name, Chinas Veernapu
his number, 817-247-0254

Give him a call if you want to take over this situation.
Thank you.

ashbeeigh
07-19-2007, 10:54 PM
That exact same thing happened to me, mouse. IE won't connect at all to my new Vista run system. I'm not to the point that i want it fixed but just a tad irritated. I just downloaded Firefox and went on my merry way. But I feel you and your frustration to not fix it. I just assumed it was a bad connection and not my software. God forbid I get back to San Antonio in a week and it not connect at all.

ducks
07-19-2007, 10:59 PM
I have setup up 5 vista computers this week

ducks
07-19-2007, 11:00 PM
their old scanners and printers do not work
vista sucks
ie 7.0 sucks vista you have to use ie 7 not 6.0

by tiger(MAC OS)

ducks
07-19-2007, 11:01 PM
DUCKS always wins on a computer

ducks works on 95,98,me xp,vista and mac computers

ducks
07-19-2007, 11:03 PM
=I had a perfect record of fixing every desktop and notebook that comes to my apartment. I found that very rare. (knock on wood) then this man brings a 1,700.00 dollar HP laptop with Vista. IE will not respond properly. Firefox works fine, and he is virus free,(according to Avast) but Vista comes with Defender It's like Zone alarm on steroids. You can't even go use the restroom without asking it for permission. I can't use my Ewido software unless I deactivate it.

I went to Microsoft to update IE and I saw no Vista update link. It was all beta. It's probably a simple fix but since I am not familiar with Vista? I look like a retard. I had to accept defeat , and give him back his 5.00 dollars.

I guess all good things must come to an end sooner or later. I just need to find another line of work.

Thank you Vista.=

you charge him 5 dollars
you will go broke like that
I thought my work charged little

best buy to come up 12 miles charges 200.00 to fix a computer at your place :rolleyes plus $100.00 for virus protection software :rolleyes :rolleyes

u2sarajevo
07-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Was there nothing reporting issues in the Event log? Did you check to see if someone had inadvertently blocked IE from accessing the Internet (Windows Firewall, ZoneAlarm, etc...)?

There is definitely a learning curve with this OS. I laugh when I read people bashing it. It's a fantastic operating system. I sometimes get the feeling that the people who hate it the most are the ones that really want Microsoft to fail (hoping that by spreading their hatred for the OS perhaps it might help defeat it from becoming de facto like the other M$ OS'es).

We are deploying it at work. So far we are 20 percent deployed in the US (approximately 6000) and our call center has seen a 0 percent increase in call volume. That in and of itself is unbelievable to me (I think the call center manager is lying personally).

Just stick with it mouse.... familiarity with the OS is all you need.

=RTM=
07-19-2007, 11:31 PM
That exact same thing happened to me, mouse. IE won't connect at all to my new Vista run system. I'm not to the point that i want it fixed but just a tad irritated. I just downloaded Firefox and went on my merry way. But I feel you and your frustration to not fix it. I just assumed it was a bad connection and not my software. God forbid I get back to San Antonio in a week and it not connect at all.

Wow You may have just saved the day. I will copy and paste your reply @majorGeeks.com You confirmed my theory. I am not alone in thinking Vista may be the Karl Malone of windows :wakeup

leemajors
07-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Was there nothing reporting issues in the Event log? Did you check to see if someone had inadvertently blocked IE from accessing the Internet (Windows Firewall, ZoneAlarm, etc...)?

There is definitely a learning curve with this OS. I laugh when I read people bashing it. It's a fantastic operating system. I sometimes get the feeling that the people who hate it the most are the ones that really want Microsoft to fail (hoping that by spreading their hatred for the OS perhaps it might help defeat it from becoming de facto like the other M$ OS'es).

We are deploying it at work. So far we are 20 percent deployed in the US (approximately 6000) and our call center has seen a 0 percent increase in call volume. That in and of itself is unbelievable to me (I think the call center manager is lying personally).

it's a total system hog even with a lot of the bells and whistles turned off. it runs just ok on my wife's laptop (even with 2GB RAM), and it will undoubtedly improve with service packs, but i don't think you can say it wasn't rushed out the door. more than likely hardware needs to catch up with it, but they shouldn't be forcing it on systems that can barely handle it.

=RTM=
07-19-2007, 11:55 PM

You make a good point, but answer this? If he still had XP ,would he have this problem? I think not.

There is definitely a learning curve with this OS.

If Vista was so Cool? why should we need to go back to School to learn it? Don't they want it to be user friendly? Are you saying you want to lose all the senor citizens and people from other countries to not be able to use your software? It's hard enough to teach them windows 98 you want to make things harder?

I laugh when I read people bashing it.

You have that Luxury. You are the 2% of the public who mastered Vista, You must have a PC review magazine in your bathroom. But the truth is many of us don't like Vista why should we have to conform to the NWO? Bill Gates left for a reason.

It's a fantastic operating system.

I have no Doubt that it is, In fact! and as soon as I can figure out how to use it without having to get another update every 5 minutes? I will feel the same way you do, and we can both run around in our Microsoft robes as we listen to Celene Dion all night and drink jello shots off our pocket protectors. The facts are, 90% of America disagrees with you

I sometimes get the feeling that the people who hate it the most are the ones that really want Microsoft to fail (hoping that by spreading their hatred for the OS perhaps it might help defeat it from becoming de facto like the other M$ OS'es).

We hate no one, we just want results, if your going to reinvent the wheel. did we ask for vista? I know I didn't

We are deploying it at work.

That explains your Bias takes on this subject

So far we are 20 percent deployed in the US (approximately 6000) and our call center has seen a 0 percent increase in call volume. That in and of itself is unbelievable to me (I think the call center manager is lying personally).

You make a point but I am talking about your every day red neck home owner not people who have jobs where they use a computer everyday.
:wakeup

PixelPusher
07-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Vista nearly caused my best friend to have a nervous breakdown. He finally said "fuck it" and drove down to Fry's and picked up a Mac mini. This from a guy who was a Microsoft loyalist since the DOS days.

Re-Animator
07-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Vista nearly caused my best friend to have a nervous breakdown. He finally said "fuck it" and drove down to Fry's and picked up a Mac mini. This from a guy who was a Microsoft loyalist since the DOS days.

^ RACK! :wakeup

The sone
07-20-2007, 04:15 AM
vista was made to run on a quad core computer with four gigs of ram...this is what we call "giving the product a set of legs" in the industry. vista isnt made for now...its made for four yrs from now. when things catch up it will all fall into place. microsoft is a a savvy bitch! but make no mistake about it...we will all pay a hefty price until tech catches up with ware.

Man Sauce
07-20-2007, 07:10 AM

Thank you Vista.=

Try this website Experts Exchange (http://www.experts-exchange.com/)

u2sarajevo
07-20-2007, 07:28 AM
You make a good point, but answer this? If he still had XP ,would he have this problem? I think not.The fact that you "think not" is part of the problem. Since you do not know the source of the problem there is no way you can answer that question right now.
If Vista was so Cool? why should we need to go back to School to learn it? Don't they want it to be user friendly? Are you saying you want to lose all the senor citizens and people from other countries to not be able to use your software? It's hard enough to teach them windows 98 you want to make things harder?The OS is still user friendly. There are some differences that will have to be learned. Most of the reason for these differences are security related. Doesn't matter what they try to do to please the public, M$ will get bashed either way. But I'm pleased that at least this time they listened to the part of the tech industry that was asking for a more secure OS that would not be a Melissa virus waiting to happen.
You have that Luxury. You are the 2% of the public who mastered Vista, You must have a PC review magazine in your bathroom. But the truth is many of us don't like Vista why should we have to conform to the NWO? Bill Gates left for a reason.I don't know what the NWO is. This whole discussion is making me cringe a bit because I have always been on the side of the fence where anything Microsoft put out I would approach with caution. When they announced ISA Server in 2000 I giggled inside. However that product, IMO, was the start of what I THINK is a change in attitude at M$. And as it's matured it's only gotten better. That is what I hope to see with Vista.
I have no Doubt that it is, In fact! and as soon as I can figure out how to use it without having to get another update every 5 minutes? I will feel the same way you do, and we can both run around in our Microsoft robes as we listen to Celene Dion all night and drink jello shots off our pocket protectors. The facts are, 90% of America disagrees with youThis comment confuses me, the one about an update every 5 minutes. I think you are exaggerating there so I will just roll with that theory. I don't know where you got those figures (90%), but I find that hard to believe. I know that 90 percent of ST disagrees with me, so maybe that statement has legs? Also, I don't own a M$ robe or a Celine Dion CD but that sounds like fun. Call me. ;)
We hate no one, we just want results, if your going to reinvent the wheel. did we ask for vista? I know I didn'tI understand this 100%. But the only thing I will say in response is that we asked for responsible software.
That explains your Bias takes on this subjectI'm certainly not biased. In fact if my work peers were to see this thread they would be laughing because I am the one they have to listen to occasionally going on a security diatribe against Microsoft. I have no biases to any particular company (other than IBM whose practices I abhor)
You make a point but I am talking about your every day red neck home owner not people who have jobs where they use a computer everyday.
:wakeupI'm wide awake. Perhaps every home user should go buy a Macintosh, as has been aluded to and always does anytime a discussion like this appears on a message board. Mac users sit in a sheltered world that they think is impenetrable because that's what the world(Jobs) tells them.