PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs MVP or Finals MVP?????

BIG z
07-20-2007, 12:59 AM
if u think about it, the NBA should change the Finals MVP award to Playoffs MVP award, which would make better sense, player getting rewarded for his efforts through out the postseason and then winning the whole thing, i think they should change it so that the most deserving person who gets them there deserves it, it like u are great thru out the playoffs and one last series does'nt go well for u, and u dont get the reward..

mystargtr34
07-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Absolutely. Makes alot more sense.

bull62400
07-20-2007, 02:35 AM
they wont change it, but i thought of that too.

whottt
07-20-2007, 04:16 AM
I think they should do away with the playoff MVP's entirely...

You spend 99% of the time preaching team team team...then what do you do at the very end? You single an out an individual at the very very end.

Hasn't been a one man team win a title yet....and championships are won by great series, great games, great moments...it's impossible to put one contribution over the other in the grand scheme of things...without the great moment, the great game or great series would be meaningless.

mathbzh
07-20-2007, 04:17 AM
What if a player shine in the first rounds but his team doesn't make it to the Final?
Could Baron Davis have been the Playoffs MVP?
If you take players in the Finals... Lebron is the Playoffs MVP should he receive the trophie? Should they give it to the best player of the Champion (to Duncan of course)?

SAGambler
07-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Another "let's change the rules" to favor Tim post.

spursfan09
07-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Another "let's change the rules" to favor Tim post.

and to totally downplay Tony's accomplishments.

mathbzh
07-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Why not a summer league MVP... I tell you... everything start from the summer league

urunobili
07-20-2007, 11:08 AM
yeah.. Manu should have gotten the 2005 one... even just counting the Finals...

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Why not a summer league MVP... I tell you... everything start from the summer league
There was a Summer League MVP. Nate Robinson won.

rascal
07-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I agree with those who say do away with the mvp award.

They should also do away with regular season mvp. Its a worthless award. Its only there as a marketing tool that promotes and markets the players and not the team concept.

The current nba is promoting an image of individule stars and has gotten away from team success which seems to be less important.

spursfan09
07-20-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with the MVP award. We all know that every great team has that one special player thats brings them there in the first place. LIke MJ for Bulls, Shaq for Lakers and Tim for the Spurs.

rob5
07-20-2007, 12:04 PM
I agree with changing it to the playoffs MVP. Lebron and Davis wouldn't get it cause part of being the MVP would require being the last man standing.
The MVP I wish they would get rid of is the all-star MVP. Would love to see a truly competitive game between the best in both conferences instead of a bunch of guys just jumping around trying to win the award.

justanotherspursfan
07-20-2007, 12:18 PM
The MVP I wish they would get rid of is the all-star MVP. Would love to see a truly competitive game between the best in both conferences instead of a bunch of guys just jumping around trying to win the award.
The All Star game is supposed to be for showboating and messing around, not for serious basketball. Yeah, I'm not that crazy about it's current form either, but thankfully, the rest of us have 2 months of playoffs for real basketball.

gaKNOW!blee
07-20-2007, 12:58 PM
I agree with those who say do away with the mvp award.

They should also do away with regular season mvp. Its a worthless award. Its only there as a marketing tool that promotes and markets the players and not the team concept.

The current nba is promoting an image of individule stars and has gotten away from team success which seems to be less important.
I wonder what you were saying when Tim was winning it and not Suns and Mavs.

SAGambler
07-20-2007, 04:21 PM
I agree with changing it to the playoffs MVP. Lebron and Davis wouldn't get it cause part of being the MVP would require being the last man standing.

Just for shits and grins let's say Lebron puts up 45, 9 and 6 for four straight nights, yet the Cavs lose every game and get swept in the Finals. How could he not be Postseason (I guess that's what it would be called) MVP even though he wouldn't be the last man standing?

dbreiden83080
07-20-2007, 04:24 PM
if u think about it, the NBA should change the Finals MVP award to Playoffs MVP award, which would make better sense, player getting rewarded for his efforts through out the postseason and then winning the whole thing, i think they should change it so that the most deserving person who gets them there deserves it, it like u are great thru out the playoffs and one last series does'nt go well for u, and u dont get the reward..

True i would do that i mean Tony got finals MVP in a sweep against by far the worst team Spurs played in the playoffs. Timmy was the man in every other series that was actually a real test for the Spurs, especially the Suns.

BIG z
07-21-2007, 12:46 AM
What if a player shine in the first rounds but his team doesn't make it to the Final?
Could Baron Davis have been the Playoffs MVP?
If you take players in the Finals... Lebron is the Playoffs MVP should he receive the trophie? Should they give it to the best player of the Champion (to Duncan of course)?

Did u read what i wrote..

rob5
07-21-2007, 01:30 AM
Just for shits and grins let's say Lebron puts up 45, 9 and 6 for four straight nights, yet the Cavs lose every game and get swept in the Finals. How could he not be Postseason (I guess that's what it would be called) MVP even though he wouldn't be the last man standing?
Using your analogy let's say he did that in the first round and lost. He should be MVP of the playoffs while he's sitting at home WATCHING the playoffs??

SAGambler
07-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Using your analogy let's say he did that in the first round and lost. He should be MVP of the playoffs while he's sitting at home WATCHING the playoffs??

Well, the way I see it, is what is saying should be changed is MVP for the best player throughout the playoffs. Which would lead one to believe it would have to be the best of the two teams in the Finals. Otherwise they wouldn't have played throughout the playoffs.

So, at least in theory, a guy that has a hell of a game all the way to and even through the finals, yet his team gets swept in the finals, could be MVP because he had the best playoff games. Just because his team didn't win it all, should his personnal efforts be penalized?

It looks to me that what people are asking for it to be changed to.

And if IIRC a player on the losing team has been named Finals MVP in the past.

duncan228
07-21-2007, 12:25 PM
And if IIRC a player on the losing team has been named Finals MVP in the past.

I only know of one.

In '69 Jerry West won the Finals MVP even though LA lost to Boston.

Did it ever happen again?

Mister Sinister
07-21-2007, 12:27 PM
I only know of one.

In '69 Jerry West won the Finals MVP even though LA lost to Boston.

Did it ever happen again?
Nein.

Darrin
07-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Bad Idea. THe Finals MVP is good enough for this fan.

RC's Boss
07-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Every major team sport played in the U.S. has individual awards. Why would you want to do away w/ it. And face it, the NBA Finals is the biggest stage in b-ball. Whoever shines the most should win, bottom line dammit. And no, Manu shouldn't have won in '05 just like Tim didn't deserve it this year.

BIG z
07-21-2007, 05:24 PM
I meant that the MVP would be the person on the team that wins it all, no matter who has the best Stats in the finals...

RC's Boss
07-21-2007, 05:39 PM
It sounds cool, but me personally I'd still prefer the way it is.