PDA

View Full Version : VEGANS in the NBA

spurscenter
07-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Raja Bell's Fave Veggie Burger, Boris Diaw's Fave Cheese

Raja Bell has been a vegetarian since 1978, which is a lot longer than I have. He doesn't eat beef, pork, chicken, turkey, seafood, any kind of shellfish, eggs, or cheese, except on pizza. He doesn't share my love of Boca's fake meat products; he's just not that interested in meat. He'll sometimes eat veggie burgers, but he finds them "to be either really good or horrible." The best veggie burgers he's ever had are from St. Croix, and so he has those whenever he goes home. I didn't know that.

I asked Boris Diaw about his favorite cheese. He didn't seem to like the question much. He asked if I wanted to talk about basketball. Anyhow, concerning cheese, he said he likes "a lot of different ones. Usually, the more the smell, the more you get. Usually." He said he likes Roquefort, all kinds of Brie, Camembert and goat cheese. He said it's hard to find good stuff in Phoenix, but that he manages ok.

(As an example of how well this conversation went, here's what Diaw said when I asked him to compare Steve Nash and Gilbert: "Steve's a little smaller. He's got longer hair.")

Pat Burke, by the way, knows David Beckham a bit from when they both played in Real Madrid. The basketball and soccer teams would go out together, plus there would be joint banquets and all that.

"I've never seen anything like it," Burke said of Beckham's fame. "We used to come out of practices, there would be literally four buses outside of our gym, because our gym was right next to the soccer compound. So there'd be four buses just sitting there. Every background: Chinese people, of course there were Spanish people there, there would be Italian people, Germans, and they're all just sitting there, trying to get a glimpse....It was unbelievable."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/01/raja_bells_fave_veggie_burger.html

judaspriestess
07-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Raja Bell's Fave Veggie Burger, Boris Diaw's Fave Cheese

Raja Bell has been a vegetarian since 1978, which is a lot longer than I have. He doesn't eat beef, pork, chicken, turkey, seafood, any kind of shellfish, eggs, or cheese, except on pizza. He doesn't share my love of Boca's fake meat products; he's just not that interested in meat. He'll sometimes eat veggie burgers, but he finds them "to be either really good or horrible." The best veggie burgers he's ever had are from St. Croix, and so he has those whenever he goes home. I didn't know that.

I asked Boris Diaw about his favorite cheese. He didn't seem to like the question much. He asked if I wanted to talk about basketball. Anyhow, concerning cheese, he said he likes "a lot of different ones. Usually, the more the smell, the more you get. Usually." He said he likes Roquefort, all kinds of Brie, Camembert and goat cheese. He said it's hard to find good stuff in Phoenix, but that he manages ok.

(As an example of how well this conversation went, here's what Diaw said when I asked him to compare Steve Nash and Gilbert: "Steve's a little smaller. He's got longer hair.")

Pat Burke, by the way, knows David Beckham a bit from when they both played in Real Madrid. The basketball and soccer teams would go out together, plus there would be joint banquets and all that.

"I've never seen anything like it," Burke said of Beckham's fame. "We used to come out of practices, there would be literally four buses outside of our gym, because our gym was right next to the soccer compound. So there'd be four buses just sitting there. Every background: Chinese people, of course there were Spanish people there, there would be Italian people, Germans, and they're all just sitting there, trying to get a glimpse....It was unbelievable."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/01/raja_bells_fave_veggie_burger.html

:toast I'm not a Vegan but I am most certainly more of a Vegetarian and I am much happier since I made the switch.

Phil Hellmuth
07-22-2007, 02:09 PM
No wonder Raja is not really cut. If that dude was eating protein he probably couldve had some extra muscle fat to be a artest kind of defender, no?

judaspriestess
07-22-2007, 02:10 PM
No wonder Raja is not really cut. If that dude was eating protein he probably couldve had some extra muscle fat to be a artest kind of defender, no?

there are plenty of other ways he can get protein. Especially in Tofu.

Findog
07-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Salim Stoudemire is a vegan.

Flight3107
07-22-2007, 02:18 PM
There in nothing better than a Steak and Shrimp dinner. I could eat this everyday for the rest of my life.

http://www.donalddownes.com/images/Food%20Photos/steak_shrimp05_2.jpg

atxrocker
07-22-2007, 03:17 PM
vegans are pussies

kingsfan
07-22-2007, 03:22 PM
vegans are pussieshttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiflipoff.gif How's yours feeling now BTW? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Flight3107
07-22-2007, 03:31 PM
vegans are pussies

This is true

Findog
07-22-2007, 03:32 PM
vegans are pussies

Actually, I wish I was capable of it. Vegans tend to be healthier than carnivores.

judaspriestess
07-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Actually, I wish I was capable of it. Vegans tend to be healthier than carnivores.

just slowly start cutting back and before you know it you won't even realize you are not eating meat.

I still eat seafood and on occasion chicken. My type of diet is called vegetarian friendly. I cheated when I was in SA last month, I had brisket there are exceptions to the rule. Very rarely but its still there.

I am addicted to sushi so it is very hard to get away from it so I don't think I could go full on vegan but more power to those who do

Mister Sinister
07-22-2007, 04:38 PM
My thing with vegans/vegetarians is this: I respect that they choose not to eat meat. I just ask them to respect that I *do* eat meat, and in large quantities. It may just be my experience, but a lot of the ones I've met try to "convert" me. And it pisses me off.

atxrocker
07-22-2007, 04:45 PM
My thing with vegans/vegetarians is this: I respect that they choose not to eat meat. I just ask them to respect that I *do* eat meat, and in large quantities. It may just be my experience, but a lot of the ones I've met try to "convert" me. And it pisses me off.

this is true. i hate that shit too. reminds me of hardcore religious fanatics who always try to convert you when you don't want anything to do with it. i hate that shit.

Flight3107
07-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Harland Williams

"Are there any vegatarians in here? You strong enough to talk?"

His hilarious interview on Conan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfuxrGzlGKM

monosylab1k
07-22-2007, 05:38 PM
There is no way you can live the NBA life and truly be a vegan (it has more involved than your diet)...considering an NBA basketball is made of leather, that alone makes it 100% impossible to be a vegan and an NBA player.

plus, vegans don't each cheese either.

JMarkJohns
07-22-2007, 05:45 PM
just slowly start cutting back and before you know it you won't even realize you are not eating meat.

I still eat seafood and on occasion chicken. My type of diet is called vegetarian friendly. I cheated when I was in SA last month, I had brisket there are exceptions to the rule. Very rarely but its still there.

I am addicted to sushi so it is very hard to get away from it so I don't think I could go full on vegan but more power to those who do

I gave up meat for lent, and it was incredably hard. I've definately lightened my intake of red meat, eating largely chicken and shrimp, with the occasional pork or fish meal, and the very occasional steak or hamburger. Since the switch around a year ago, I've lost close to 30 pounds... I've done much more than just this, but this has helped.

It's not hard to cut back, just hard to give it up.

lefty
07-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Anthony Peeler is vegetarian

exstatic
07-22-2007, 06:51 PM
There is no way you can live the NBA life and truly be a vegan (it has more involved than your diet)...considering an NBA basketball is made of leather, that alone makes it 100% impossible to be a vegan and an NBA player.

plus, vegans don't each cheese either.
I don't think Bell was the one eating cheese. That was Diaw, and I don't think he claimed to be vegan, although most tend to lump vegans and vegetarians together. I've eaten vegetarian for months on end, but could never be vegan. I require one steamed cup of real cow's milk in my morning Latte every day. That's non-negotiable. :)

Pistol...2K4
07-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Who is Anthony Peeler???(j/k .. I know who he is). People who try to live life by being anti this or that are going against the basic balance of nature. Meat is an excellent source of protein which is a necessary nutrient. Sure you can get it from alternate sources , but it isn't the same. Like it or not , God put animals on the earth to serve man ...including consumption...it is why we had sharp incisors years ago. If you look at the skin color of a true vegan , after awhile they take on a grayish hue because of the lack of a proper diet....I am not saying go out and eat steaks every day , because that is acting unbalanced in the other direction. Proper diet BALANCE is the key to a healthy living , and as a former college player and pro ball flunkie I happen to practice what I preach....another thing a basketball player should consume in their diet is lots and lots of carbs.

monosylab1k
07-22-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't think Bell was the one eating cheese.
it said he had cheese but only on his pizza. But I don't think Bell claimed to be vegan either, I think it was a mistake by the person who started the thread.

sa_kid20
07-22-2007, 11:02 PM
If we weren't suppose to eat beef then God wouldn't have made cows edible :lol

cecil collins
07-25-2007, 12:04 PM

This happens to vegetarians too. Anytime someone finds out, they think it is original to mind fuck a steak. I don't try to convert shit, because I used to eat meat. I don't like the stereotype the vegetarians are weak either. Lots of bodybuilders and pro athletes are vegetarians. The weak ones are the ones that do not take steps to get the right nutrition. I haven't eaten meat in 9 months and I've gained a little weight and muscle. Don't tell me it's not healthy because I haven't been sick once and I workout and run without any loss of stamina.

L.I.T
07-25-2007, 12:24 PM
it said he had cheese but only on his pizza. But I don't think Bell claimed to be vegan either, I think it was a mistake by the person who started the thread.

I think vegans can eat some cheese, ones that aren't cured with this certain type of enzyme (I think that's used a lot in European cheeses). Someone told me that, but I could be wrong.

judaspriestess
07-25-2007, 12:47 PM
I gave up meat for lent, and it was incredably hard. I've definately lightened my intake of red meat, eating largely chicken and shrimp, with the occasional pork or fish meal, and the very occasional steak or hamburger. Since the switch around a year ago, I've lost close to 30 pounds... I've done much more than just this, but this has helped.

It's not hard to cut back, just hard to give it up.

Hey congratulations on your weight loss!! :toast

I don't think I could be a vegan, vegetarian yes, vegan no. mmmmm, veggie sandwich

This happens to vegetarians too. Anytime someone finds out, they think it is original to mind fuck a steak. I don't try to convert shit, because I used to eat meat. I don't like the stereotype the vegetarians are weak either. Lots of bodybuilders and pro athletes are vegetarians. The weak ones are the ones that do not take steps to get the right nutrition. I haven't eaten meat in 9 months and I've gained a little weight and muscle. Don't tell me it's not healthy because I haven't been sick once and I workout and run without any loss of stamina. :tu

justanotherspursfan
07-25-2007, 01:37 PM
I think vegans can eat some cheese, ones that aren't cured with this certain type of enzyme (I think that's used a lot in European cheeses). Someone told me that, but I could be wrong.
Moral vegans believe that it's wrong to exploit animals by eating products they produce, including dairy, eggs, etc. Vegans will eat soy cheese and such, but not real dairy.

boutons_
07-25-2007, 02:04 PM
hard-core vegans don't eat any animal products.

MajorMike
07-25-2007, 02:31 PM

This is so true. Its like the Mormons or soccer fans. They think what they know is so much better so they try to convert you.

Must... have... steaaaak.

Roxsfan
07-25-2007, 10:51 PM
There in nothing better than a Steak and Shrimp dinner. I could eat this everyday for the rest of my life.

http://www.donalddownes.com/images/Food%20Photos/steak_shrimp05_2.jpg

as long as its coconut shrimp and a medium-cooked steak

but this is just a special occasion for me for the sake of health........chicken more frequently

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/1135659180/gallery_2_2290_73181.jpg

yourcheatinheart
07-26-2007, 12:36 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/meeks4president/63720-1.gif

E20
07-26-2007, 12:45 AM
I could never do it and wouldn't make a difference anyway. There are how many vegans? Yet, millions of animals get slaughtered everyday, so it's not making that much of a difference in that viewpoint, but if you're doing it just for being in good health, then that's a different story, but you can still eat meat/animal products and be healthy, if not healthier.

Flight3107
07-26-2007, 01:29 AM
as long as its coconut shrimp and a medium-cooked steak

but this is just a special occasion for me for the sake of health........chicken more frequently

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/1135659180/gallery_2_2290_73181.jpg

1. Coconut shrimp is fucking gross.

2. I only eat my steak rare.

ambchang
07-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Vegans do not use any products coming from animals (ie, no leather shoes, belt, wallets, don't eat meat, don't drink milk, so on and so forth).
Vegetarians do not eat meat. Some do not consume dairy products and eggs, but some do, it really depends on how you define it. Some semi-vegetarians eat seafood.

Roxsfan
07-27-2007, 12:14 AM
1. Coconut shrimp is fucking gross.

2. I only eat my steak rare.

coconut shrimp fucking rules......regular shrimp is like fishing bait.

Medium steak is the best balance between being juicy and actually being cooked.........it still is very pink and we all like pink.....actually pinkish red....

you like blood-bath steaks.......fucking nasty imo.

boutons_
07-27-2007, 12:19 AM
"They think what they know is so much better so they try to convert you."

Most people with a world view do that, esp religion (evangelical Christians) and politics (Americans "spreading" democracy).

But better an attempt to convert you than kill you or invade your country.

some_user86
07-27-2007, 03:05 AM
If we weren't suppose to eat beef then God wouldn't have made cows edible :lol

That only works if you believe in god.