PDA

View Full Version : What's the Most Jersey's Retired by Any Team?

MrChug
07-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know? How many is too many? This team is legendary...to piggy-back off of BigZ's thread...

Even if they retired today, there's MORE THAN SOLID justification for Tim, Tony, Manu, and Bruce's jerseys to be retired. There's no indication either that suggests that we won't have successful teams after this team disbands. Anyone know?

samikeyp
07-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Boston with 21 numbers.

Also "Loscy" for Jim Loscutoff who didn't have a number and a microphone for Johnny Most.

MrChug
07-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Boston with 21 numbers.

Also "Loscy" for Jim Loscutoff who didn't have a number and a microphone for Johnny Most.

But how many do we retire ultimately...do you think Rob should have his jersey retired for instance? What if he's instrumental in winning another championship? Would you then?

RC's Boss
07-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Only Tim so far, maybe Tony down the road. Manu shouldn't at his age, but since they retired Sean's, you may as well throw him in too. Bruce, no.

lefty
07-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Boston Celtics, I guess

exstatic
07-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Only Tim so far, maybe Tony down the road. Manu shouldn't at his age, but since they retired Sean's, you may as well throw him in too. Bruce, no.
The 80s Celtics, whom we moved past this year with our 4th LOB, retired Bird, McHale, and Parrish. They also retired Dennis Johnson and Cornbread Maxwell. I think the 4 constant cogs in our 2003, 2005, and 2007 championships will all go up before it's all said and done: 9,12,20,21. Remember, we're not talking HOF here.

spurscenter
07-21-2007, 12:27 AM
you retire Bowen, you retire Avery. period. Seriously.

Dont hate cuz he is Mavericks coach.

AND I WOULD AUTOMATICALLY , WITHOUT QUESTION

GREGG POPOVICH in some way like they do a MIC for announcers.

and I WOULD ALSO retire

2! for COYOTE (not #2) just 2!

and

a MIC for STAN KELLY

Im not joking about POP though, He deserves it right alongside DUNCAN

exstatic
07-21-2007, 12:51 AM
They could raise an ugly sportscoat for Pop.

Mr. Body
07-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Bruce, Manu, Tony are locks, beyond Tim obviously.

Forget AJ. Two years ago we debated it, but Parker's great surge has made him an afterthought.

E20
07-21-2007, 01:09 AM
Wait one goddamn minute! How is RC's Boss avatar that big???????

whottt
07-21-2007, 03:08 AM
Parker, Manu, Bowen and Duncan.

I'm on the fence about AJ...

He's been humbled recently and is acting more like he remembers where he came from...he's stopped copping the attitude like he was doing the Spurs a favor by playing for them.

We'll see if he keeps it up.

A couple of more humiliating playoff defeats and he's just might turn back into the Pre Little Shithead AJ...and in that case I wouldn't mind having his jersey retired. He still really wouldn't deserve it...but it wouldn't bother me near as much as it would have a couple of years ago.

AJ believed too much of the hype during the 99 title run...ruined him IMO. Prior to that he was a guy that believed in himself but wasn't full of himself, and would get into a guys face...because he knew how hard he worked to get there....

After 99 he started thinking he was the shit and became a cancerous asshole.

But he might have just begun the path to redemption...at least that's my POV based on his recent comments.

Talent wise he barely belonged on an NBA court...much less hanging up in someones rafters.

There are a lot of people that think he deserves to hang...I personally think he's had too much of an attitude...but I'm willing to forgive and forget if he's stop being a dickhead...and let his fans get their wish. But only if he keeps acting like he's proud to have been a member of the Spurs and greatful for his time in SA...instead of acting like he did the Spurs a favor.

whottt
07-21-2007, 03:13 AM
Horry is a special case...he hasn't really been a Spur long enough to deserve to hang...but if you think about history IMO.....when he wasn't on the Spurs...he was opposing them, for a loooooooooong time. He's always been in our thoughts.

I don't know...it'd be a unique situation to hang his...like if the Spurs Rockets and Lakers all decided to do it to honor perhaps the clutchest player(definitely the clutchest role player) in NBA history. But I wouldn't want the Spurs to do it on their own...he did more for the Lakers and Rockets than he did for the Spurs...although we did get his greatest performance...and his greatest mind game. Still...if the other teams wanted to do something I think it'd be cool if the Spurs joined in...of course there's no way in hell his jersey gets retired by LA...and he seemed to be remembered less fondly by Rocket Fans than Spurs and Lakers fans.

exstatic
07-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Horry is a special case...he hasn't really been a Spur long enough to deserve to hang...but if you think about history IMO.....when he wasn't on the Spurs...he was opposing them, for a loooooooooong time. He's always been in our thoughts.

I don't know...it'd be a unique situation to hang his...like if the Spurs Rockets and Lakers all decided to do it to honor perhaps the clutchest player(definitely the clutchest role player) in NBA history. But I wouldn't want the Spurs to do it on their own...he did more for the Lakers and Rockets than he did for the Spurs...although we did get his greatest performance...and his greatest mind game. Still...if the other teams wanted to do something I think it'd be cool if the Spurs joined in...of course there's no way in hell his jersey gets retired by LA...and he seemed to be remembered less fondly by Rocket Fans than Spurs and Lakers fans.
By the time this contract is up, he'll have been here five years. If we win again, he will have been on 3 of 4 this decade, and within 5 years, and he WAS kind enough to blow that trey at the end of game 5 in 2003 to allow that one. :) I think you can make a good case for Horry, expecially if we go B2B.

MrChug
07-21-2007, 09:55 AM
By the time this contract is up, he'll have been here five years. If we win again, he will have been on 3 of 4 this decade, and within 5 years, and he WAS kind enough to blow that trey at the end of game 5 in 2003 to allow that one. :) I think you can make a good case for Horry, expecially if we go B2B.

I have to agree. I think he played much harder...MUCH (did I say that?) this playoff run than in others and he was an integral part of our 4th title. No late-game heroics like '03, but still more than solid play. With that said, the '01 title is the only one I don't recall him contributing on. If he were to somehow contribute next year AND we repeat, I think he's a lock.

...it DOES have something to do with where HE want's his jersey to be retired. Remember he might wanna retire as a Rocket! :oops I doubt it...but it could happen :music

exstatic
07-21-2007, 10:34 AM
...it DOES have something to do with where HE want's his jersey to be retired. Remember he might wanna retire as a Rocket! I doubt it...but it could happen
Someone said he didn't part with the Rox on good terms. The Lakers also pretty much dumped his ass, thinking he was done. Thanks for the half decade, Mitch. ;)

The Truth #6
07-21-2007, 10:37 AM
I think Horry would have to win another title with us to be considered. His loafing through the regular season keeps him at a distance with some fans who like to see players to act like they care more of the time. If we win one next year I'll be for it, but I think it would be after Bowen gets his jersey retired.

AJ is looking less and less likely. I think Malik has almost equal if not more of an argument to be retired. The dude cried on television when he left. He loved the Spurs. In contrast people see AJ yelling on the Dallas sidelines and now consider him part of the enemy...

exstatic
07-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Malik will never go up into the rafters. He challenged Pop and got shipped out. He as much as admitted that he was intentionally breaking plays in 2003-2004. Forget about 31 being raised to the rafters for Malik.

shelshor
07-21-2007, 01:10 PM
They could raise an ugly sportscoat for Pop.
With a case of empty wine bottles for his number

The Celtics also retired #1 for Walter Brown, the original owner and #2 for Red Auerbach

For the current Spurs, #s 9, 12, 20 and 21 should all be retired because they're the core of 3, so far, titles

And no to Avery's number being retired--he's become too much of an ass

samikeyp
07-21-2007, 01:17 PM
The Celtics also retired #1 for Walter Brown, the original owner and #2 for Red Auerbach

Those were included in my 21.

RC's Boss
07-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Wait one goddamn minute! How is RC's Boss avatar that big???????
It's got to be the BOOTAY :lol

RC's Boss
07-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Remember, we're not talking HOF here.
You're right, my bad. Got a little confused :drunk