PDA

View Full Version : Memphis signs Andre Brown - running out of cap room

coopdogg3
07-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Not really sure where this belongs, but it looks like the Spurs should be able to offer as much money as Memphis (though no dollar figures are given). This has to help the Spurs chances in signing Ime.

Griz Add Brown
Jul 20 - According to a source, the Grizzlies have signed 6-foot-9, 245-pound free agent power forward Andre Brown to add depth to their front line. Brown, 26, who made his NBA debut last season in Seattle, is an athletic, explosive leaper the team was hoping to find.

With the addition of another frontcourt player, the Grizzlies will turn their attention to finding a two-guard/small forward who can provide more perimeter shooting. They have expressed an interest in Portland's Ime Udoka and Golden State's Matt Barnes. -- Memphis Commercial-Appeal

Based on the make-up of the roster, the swingman position seems to be the most important to fill: With only three wings on the roster (Mike Miller, Rudy Gay, and Tarence Kinsey) and with one of those (Gay) slated to slide over to power forward in some lineups, there should be rotation-quality minutes to be had for an additional wing player.

Barring a trade, it looks like the Grizzlies will target this position with whatever additional cap room the team has left, which won't be much. -- The Memphis Flyer

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?univLogin02=stateChanged

Darkwaters
07-20-2007, 01:29 PM
I think Barnes would make more sense for Memphis anyways. But the more they spend the less they have to spend later.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Interestingly enough, the way things are going the Spurs could be in position to go after Barnes or Udoka if they want to, the market (and available salary dollars) for both is drying up quickly.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2007, 02:03 PM
I thought they signed Andre Brown to an unguaranteed contract (i.e. just a training camp invite).

Big P
07-20-2007, 02:05 PM
I was going to say, they might not be out of cap room if they signed him to a minimum contract or like Kori said a unguranteed contract. Until the actual numbers are out, we wont know. That being said, the Memphis & Spurs offers will probabably be pretty close & if thats the case he would be foolish not to choose the Spurs.

E20
07-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Grizzlies eyeing Udoka and Barnes
Friday, Jul 20, 2007 12:06 pm EDT

The Memphis Grizzlies want to sign two more players – an athletic front court player who can rebound, and somebody who can play either two-guard or small forward, or both.

Two perimeter players the Grizzlies have shown interest in are unrestricted free agents Ime Udoka (Portland Trail Blazers) and Matt Barnes (Golden State Warriors).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Grizzlies-eyeing-Udoka-and-Barnes?urn=nba,39854

We gotta get this guy!!!
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9355/eptsportsrumors60176376bt9.jpg
He's a G, E20 can say from the local viewpoint.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-20-2007, 05:29 PM
this will go down as the worst offseason in spurs front office history. mark my words.

the entire world in our hands and we decide to stand pat because we were old only 2 seasons ago. makes sense.