PDA

View Full Version : Suns trade Kurt Thomas and 2 picks for nothing.

da_suns_fan__
07-20-2007, 11:56 AM
That Louis Scola trade aint looking too bad now, is it Spurs fans?

Suns trade Thomas, picks to Seattle
Team also re-signs Marks
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 20, 2007 09:01 AM

The Suns traded center Kurt Thomas this morning in a move that relieves some salary-cap pressure.

Thomas goes to the Seattle SuperSonics, along with the Suns' own 2008 and 2010 first-round draft picks in exchange for a future conditional 2nd round pick and a trade exception, worth about $8 million.

The league's new luxury tax threshold -- the number at which teams would begin to be taxed -- came in different from what the Suns expected, at $67.9 million, and would have left Phoenix more than $10 million over that number.

The Suns also re-signed Sean Marks. If draft picks Alando Tucker and D.J. Strawberry make the team, that would leave Phoenix with one roster position open. They will be looking to fill it with a free-agent front]-line player.

samikeyp
07-20-2007, 11:58 AM
That sucks for Suns fan. I feel for ya.

florige
07-20-2007, 11:58 AM
How are you guys liking Strawberry?

da_suns_fan__
07-20-2007, 12:03 PM
How are you guys liking Strawberry?

He'll make the team since he makes jack, but he will never play.

justanotherspursfan
07-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Ouch.

I guess they figured they were better off selling the picks now instead of waiting until draft day.

monosylab1k
07-20-2007, 12:06 PM
2 First Rounders? And Kurt Thomas???? For A 2nd Rounder And A Trade Exception?

:lmao

Findog
07-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Why not just trade Marion and be done with it? They've now sold off four first-rounders, James Jones and Kurt Thomas. Daymn! One of those first-rounders could've become Marcus Williams, there's your much-needed 20 mpg backup for Nash.

They're not getting past San Antonio with the team they have. Maybe Dallas, but not the Spurs. And you can't just hope that Dallas will once again take care of business against the Spurs and you'll get them instead.

ATRAIN
07-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Consider yourself lucky Kurt Thomas sucks!!........the 2 picks though yeah that sucks!!

RonMexico
07-20-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say it - put all this blame on Sarver because I don't think Steve Kerr is THAT big of an idiot. So the Suns are pretty much banking on the Hawks getting the #1 pick next year and having to give it to Phoenix, because I don't see the point of giving up your only low post defender, and Rd. 1 picks in '08 and '10 to the team that just got rid of 2 overrated players (Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis) and scored God (Durant) and a potentially good player (Jeff Green). Sarver is a fuckbag... he must still think they signed Joe Johnson.

Please tell me this an April Fool's joke from Danny Ainge (who obviously would have traded his rights to make the actual joke on April 1st for a rubber basketball, golden tablets, and a Greg Oden semen sample).

In the wake of this news, I'm just going to stay out here in London, become a soccer fan, and raise pit bulls.

JamStone
07-20-2007, 12:35 PM
WTF? Ok, trade Kurt Thomas away, fine. Get some cap space. Even trade away the 2008 first rounder since you're getting Atlanta's first rounder in 2008. But, why trade away the 2010 first round pick as well??? Why is Sarver sooooo fucking cheap? Nash is done in another year or two. Why trade away the 2010 first round pick? What if it ends up being a lottery pick?

That is just stupid.

freedom&justice
07-20-2007, 12:54 PM
dayum, wtf are the Suns doing? The draft is like the cheapest way to get talented players, and they're just giving their picks away? Trade Marion's overrated ass and get some SIGNIFICANT cap relief, not give players and picks away for cow dung to a Western Conference team that just got Kevin frickin' Durant in the draft. Seriously. :dizzy
Gee, wonder if Kerr would give us that pick the Hawks owe them for a bag of peanuts?

On a side note: What kind of voodoo does Presti have anyway? Seattle got a pick and a trade exception back from Orlando for Rashard Lewis..who was an unrestricted FA. :wtf

Marklar MM
07-20-2007, 03:36 PM
On a side note: What kind of voodoo does Presti have anyway? Seattle got a pick and a trade exception back from Orlando for Rashard Lewis..who was an unrestricted FA. :wtf

Sign and trade. Grant Hill did the same thing with Detroit.

Johnny RIngo
07-20-2007, 03:55 PM
The Phoenix S0ns implosion continues! The S0ns have just made their team even softer with this trade.

First-tier Western Conference teams next season:

Spurs, Mavs, Rockets

The Nuggets are looking to be more of a threat next year than the S0ns.

G-Money
07-20-2007, 04:02 PM
I guess they feel with Grant Hill their championship bound.

Xylus
07-20-2007, 04:08 PM
There's got to be another deal in the works.

The Suns have no one on the frontline but Amare, Diaw, and Marion. Pat Burke and Sean Marks don't count.

Stephen A. Smith
07-20-2007, 04:10 PM
There's got to be another deal in the works.

The Suns have no one on the frontline but Amare, Diaw, and Marion. Pat Burke and Sean Marks don't count.
Racist!

dallaskd
07-20-2007, 04:10 PM
why trade the picks?

Xylus
07-20-2007, 04:12 PM
why trade the picks?
For the $8 mil. TE, I guess.

yourcheatinheart
07-20-2007, 04:23 PM
if we don't at least get P.J. Brown out of this fiasco, it could officialy end up being the worst trade of the whole NBA off season. fucking Sarver, i've had it with that clown.

mavsfan1000
07-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Thats gotta hurt. I can't see how the suns can get by the spurs without Kurt Thomas guarding Duncan.

yourcheatinheart
07-20-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say it - put all this blame on Sarver because I don't think Steve Kerr is THAT big of an idiot. So the Suns are pretty much banking on the Hawks getting the #1 pick next year and having to give it to Phoenix, because I don't see the point of giving up your only low post defender, and Rd. 1 picks in '08 and '10 to the team that just got rid of 2 overrated players (Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis) and scored God (Durant) and a potentially good player (Jeff Green). Sarver is a fuckbag... he must still think they signed Joe Johnson.

Please tell me this an April Fool's joke from Danny Ainge (who obviously would have traded his rights to make the actual joke on April 1st for a rubber basketball, golden tablets, and a Greg Oden semen sample).

In the wake of this news, I'm just going to stay out here in London, become a soccer fan, and raise pit bulls.

B-I-N-G-O.

lefty
07-20-2007, 04:53 PM
OMG ! they traded the " Duncan stopper " :lol :lmao :lmao

Obstructed_View
07-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Since the coach won't keep him in the game long enough to make a difference, there's no point in keeping him, right?

BillsCarnage
07-20-2007, 05:53 PM
This is BULL-FUCKING-SHIT!

HATE YOU SARVER!! HATE, HATE, HATE!!!

Too bad you all couldn't hear the spin Kerr put on this.. What a fookin joke..

They better go out and find themselves a quality big to spell Amare...

BillsCarnage
07-20-2007, 05:59 PM
why trade the picks?

Because that's the only way they were going to be able to deal KT. I figured it would have cost the ATL pick, but the Suns probably escaped that by offering the '10 pick.

And whoever thinks Marion & Diaw make up a front line is foolish.

Saver, you're and idiot!!

Bruno
07-20-2007, 06:26 PM
The thing I don't get about Suns FO is that they have spend $100M last summer with Diaw, Barbosa and Banks while they still have players with big contracts and their owner didn't want to pay the luxury tax.

Shred
07-20-2007, 06:36 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/IIM.jpg
This is glorious news! Victory is at hand!

dg7md
07-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Kerr really is a Spurs homer.

JamStone
07-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Too bad you all couldn't hear the spin Kerr put on this.. What a fookin joke..

How could Kerr possibly spin it? What did he say? It's obviously a cost cutting move. There's no way to spin it.

BillsCarnage
07-20-2007, 08:20 PM
How could Kerr possibly spin it? What did he say? It's obviously a cost cutting move. There's no way to spin it.

From: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93644

1) Says we still have the Atlanta pick and our own 09 (well thats good).

2) Says this allows Mike D'Antoni to play fast

3) Says this allows Diaw to take that position.

4) More than likely, he says they will probably get a big man type player who WONT PLAY!!!

5) Mentions Grant Hill A LOT...never mentions that Hill can be counted on for 60 games at best

6) Says he believes Sean Marks will "surprise some people" and be a bigger part of things.

7) Says he would be perfectly satisfied taking this roster to training camp.

8) Says most teams play 8 guys....most don't see the ninth guy very much.

I caught similar bits and pieces on the ride home from another station.

There's talk of PJ Brown filling the void, but honestly, this team is screwed.. This past season was their prime opportunity and they didn't get it done.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Why couldn't Dumars picked up the phone?

Findog
07-20-2007, 08:55 PM

Thomas is a FA at season's end and Seattle has no use for him. I'm sure he gets dealt at the deadline.

itzsoweezee
07-20-2007, 09:01 PM
well this proves beyond all doubt that the brains behind the spurs front office is now sitting in seattle.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2007, 09:33 PM
6) Says he believes Sean Marks will "surprise some people" and be a bigger part of things.
Pfft.

baseline bum
07-20-2007, 09:36 PM
OMFG, that trade makes the Scola deal look like nothing. Kurt Thomas is the one guy Phoenix had who could put up any kind of legitimate threat to Tim defensively. Every game against Phoenix is going to be game 6 for Duncan next year! :toast

jacobdrj
07-20-2007, 09:41 PM
That sucks for Suns fan. I feel for ya.

Wow, what a dumb movie by the Suns. Less defense. Less depth. He was a good hard worker who could hit shots in the half court...

Just a dumb dumb move. Would have only made sense if they acquired KG, which they didn't.

Sorry Suns-Fans, your team isn't going to win a title with this core. And I feel bad for you.

And I thought I had lost respect for Steve Kerr when he became a broadcaster...

jacobdrj
07-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Because we didn't have cap-space to offer, which is all the Suns were looking for.

jacobdrj
07-20-2007, 09:44 PM
From: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93644

8) Says most teams play 8 guys....most don't see the ninth guy very much.

Most teams don't win championships. Even the Lakers played into their rotation. Even if only for the season...

This is absurd.

RonMexico
07-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Sucks because Kurt was quality offensively (mid-range) and defensively (at least he wore down Duncan even if he fouled him a lot). Plus, he was a quality vet who could help keep Amare in his place emotionally, if you know what I mean. Trust me, if I had a quality father figure, I wouldn't be facing a Federal indictment.

Shred
07-20-2007, 10:10 PM
OMFG, that trade makes the Scola deal look like nothing. Kurt Thomas is the one guy Phoenix had who could put up any kind of legitimate threat to Tim defensively. Every game against Phoenix is going to be game 6 for Duncan next year! :toast

Why do I get the feeling that, if Thomas were still a Sun, we'd be hearing about the Suns' total lack of D?

Leetonidas
07-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Why do I get the feeling that, if Thomas were still a Sun, we'd be hearing about the Suns' total lack of D?
Every fan on this board will openly admit that Thomas can guard Duncan to some extent.

Jeremy
07-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Suns fans need to start up a fund to fund ourselves a championship. ;) If we could raise $8 or $16 million in donations, maybe Sarver could use the trade exception (and the ATL pick?) to get Marcus Camby. (TE = $8 million, Camby's salary = $8 million. Fits perfectly.)

justanotherspursfan
07-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Maybe next they can trade Marion and some first round picks for the right to resign Greg Ostertag.

Shred
07-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Donaghy was ref for Game 3 of the WC Semis (Spurs 108 Suns 101).

justanotherspursfan
07-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Donaghy was ref for Game 3 of the WC Semis (Spurs 108 Suns 101).
Thanks for sharing. Did he execute this trade too, or are you just posting that fact to every thread with any connection to the Suns, regardless of its relevance?

CubanMustGo
07-21-2007, 12:32 AM
Those that can, win championships.

Those that can't, bitch and moan and try to demean the accomplishments of those who do.

yourcheatinheart
07-21-2007, 04:58 PM
:toast thank you :toast

yourcheatinheart
07-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Those that can, win championships.

Those that can't, bitch and moan and try to demean the accomplishments of those who do.

that was beautiful...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/meeks4president/m_d0d043723d5e8ab764b2bc1b85a1e2d0.jpg

Mister Sinister
07-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Because it's a lot easier to say that the Suns don't play D at all than to say they don't play enough D?

Vinnie_Johnson
07-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Hello earth to Suns come in WTF are you doing?

davi78239
07-22-2007, 01:04 AM
Why does everyone think (at least Suns Fans) that if it went to a game 7 that the Suns would of won?

Amuseddaysleeper
07-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Why does everyone think (at least Suns Fans) that if it went to a game 7 that the Suns would of won?

because of the HCA factor

I have to admit, I understand the suns being favored in a game 7, but they had every chance to win game 6 and got killed for 90% of that game

davi78239
07-22-2007, 01:28 AM
because of the HCA factor

I have to admit, I understand the suns being favored in a game 7, but they had every chance to win game 6 and got killed for 90% of that game

Yea, I know. But they had the homecourt in game 5 even down 2 key players and they were on the verge of winning and had the rocous crowd behind them the whole time. I can understand if they were down the two players and away from home, but they clearly had the crowd and a 15 point lead and couldn't do it. Yet in game 6 even though away from home, they were fully staffed and couldn't pull through.

Shred
07-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Word out of Arizona is, Sarver plans on using the money he saved on this trade to buy a couple of refs in the playoffs. :lol

lotr1trekkie
07-22-2007, 11:29 AM
I thought Kerr was smarter than this so far. BEFORE JESUS BROWN is not going to get them passed the Spurs. Is a Garnett trade still viable?

leemajors
07-22-2007, 12:33 PM
I thought Kerr was smarter than this so far. BEFORE JESUS BROWN is not going to get them passed the Spurs. Is a Garnett trade still viable?
kerr does have a boss.

J.T.
07-22-2007, 12:37 PM
I guess the Suns are counting on the even year curse to finally get past the Spurs...or banking on someone else doing it for them :lol