View Full Version : NBA Scout: Oden was faking it

ducks
07-20-2007, 12:20 PM
NBA Scout: Oden was faking it

http://blog.oregonlive.com/blazers/2007/07/nba_scout_oden_was_faking_it.html

NBA Scout: Oden was faking it
Posted by Casey Holdahl July 20, 2007 09:32AM
Categories: Injuries, Summer League
On most days, I wouldn't give a story like this any run, but outside allegations of an NBA referee fixing games, not a whole lot is going on, so here goes. Utah Jazz beat writer Steve Luhm writes in his blog that an NBA scout told him that the only reason Greg Oden had his tonsils taken out when he did is because the Blazers didn't want him to lose confidence:

... Portland management announced that Oden needed surgery to remove his tonsils, ending his first summer league. I heard, however, that the Trail Blazers knew about Oden's trouble with his tonsils all along. The original plan was to have them removed sometime prior to the start of training camp.
Instead, the Blazers suddenly scheduled the summer league-ending surgery because Oden was playing so poorly and they did not want him to lose confidence.
Personally, I still think Oden will be a superstar in the NBA. And I don't know if this version of tonsil-gate is true. But it's food for thought.

Uh, o.k. Does it matter why they decided to yank out Oden's tonsils? If his tonsils were the reason that he was playing poorly, wouldn't it make sense to put him on the shelf? Jason Quick verified that his tonsils were on the verge of exploding, so the proof is there that they needed to come out. Is it possible that if Greg had been destroying the competition in Vegas that he would have postponed the surgery? I guess, but that's really here nor there.

By the way, I've been told that reporters in Utah have smelly feet, but I don't know if that's actually true.

Switchman
07-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Just useless drama. Let the dude play a couple seasons ffs.

ducks
07-20-2007, 12:25 PM
useless they have hyped him enough already
let him play then get great then hype

Findog
07-20-2007, 12:26 PM
He was pretending to orgasm?

bdictjames
07-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Its just a rumor.

Supergirl
07-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Well, it's rather interesting if Oden's ego is so fragile that playing poorly in the summer league would be a blow to him. That could definitely predict future problems. Even Jordan and Duncan struggled a little before becoming superstars.

I don't think there's any suggestion that his tonsils were the REASON he was playing badly. They're just positing that the Blazers pulled him and used that as an excuse.