PDA

View Full Version : Who here is from the RGV?

ATRAIN
07-20-2007, 01:24 PM
If so what town.........im from San Benito!!

Flea
07-20-2007, 03:48 PM
La Feria

peewee's lovechild
07-20-2007, 03:49 PM
BROWNSVILLE!!!

(otherwise known as North Mexico)

Man Sauce
07-20-2007, 04:26 PM
My mom is from Penitas and my dad from Los Ebanos.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-20-2007, 05:15 PM
BROWNSVILLE!!!

I've told this story to a few people here already, but anytime I hear Brownsville, I think of a job posting I received last summer.

The B-ville paper was seeking a cops reporter. $15-20K to cover the city and area crime scene including the region drug trade.

The job description specifically said, "Must not be afraid to die."

It was pulled before I had a chance to take a screenshot, though. A former co-worker or mine was the first U.S. reporter on the scene in Nuevo Laredo a few years back when gangs shot up a Mexican newsroom.

Even though I love the thought of covering cops again, there's almost no way in hell I'd choose to cover the drug scene on the border over covering the war in Iraq.

peewee's lovechild
07-20-2007, 05:20 PM
I've told this story to a few people here already, but anytime I hear Brownsville, I think of a job posting I received last summer.

The B-ville paper was seeking a cops reporter. $15-20K to cover the city and area crime scene including the region drug trade.

It was pulled before I had a chance to take a screenshot, though. A former co-worker or mine was the first U.S. reporter on the scene in Nuevo Laredo a few years back when gangs shot up a Mexican newsroom.

Even though I love the thought of covering cops again, there's almost no way in hell I'd choose to cover the drug scene on the border over covering the war in Iraq.

:lol :lol

My Uncle's brother-in-law, who used to be the Assistant PD Chief had to have 24 protection (his house was surrounded by cop cars) because he caught the second in command of the Gulf Coast Cartel.

Even then, someone threw a brick through his living room window with a picture of him and his family with the heads cut off.

The DEA opened up a position for him so that he could have federal protection.

He still has surveilance protection though.

O-Factor
07-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Born and grew up there. I have a residence in South Padre

Extra Stout
07-20-2007, 06:30 PM
BROWNSVILLE!!!

Monterrey resents the comparison.

ZStomp
07-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Cover cops here!

O-Factor
07-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Respect

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atlas_texas/rio_grande_valley.jpg

BeerIsGood!
07-20-2007, 07:14 PM
I grew up in Pharr and Mission from age 8 to 18. I still like going back to see my brother and several friends from HS that I still contact from time to time. Right now I wish I had a Tico's fajita botana...

spursincharge
07-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Tico's is alright,...I prefer their breakfast...they have good chorizo...born and raised in McAllen...went to UTSA for 4 years and now am back home and can't wait to get the hell back...HATE living here

Flea
07-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Tico's is alright,...I prefer their breakfast...they have good chorizo...born and raised in McAllen...went to UTSA for 4 years and now am back home and can't wait to get the hell back...HATE living here

We still visit a couple of times a year. I would never, ever move back.

Extra Stout
07-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Per capita income (PPP):

San Antonio, Texas: $30,000
Monterrey, Mexico: $22,000
Rio Grande Valley, Texas: $15,000

Flea
07-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Per capita income (PPP):

San Antonio, Texas: $30,000
Monterrey, Mexico: $22,000
Rio Grande Valley, Texas: $15,000

:wow

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Cover cops here!

Wish I could, man...wish I could.

peewee's lovechild
07-21-2007, 02:33 PM
We still visit a couple of times a year. I would never, ever move back.

My sentiments exactly.

peewee's lovechild
07-21-2007, 02:35 PM
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atlas_texas/rio_grande_valley.jpg

LOL!!!
I was born the year that map was copyrighted.

I was born in the area that says "Southmost".

Brownsville has quadrupled(sp) in size since then. It is now the biggest city from the Valley to San Antonio.

But, it's still sucks pretty hard.

ATRAIN
07-21-2007, 02:42 PM

Place to eat Fajitas........Los Asados in Harlingen

peewee's lovechild
07-21-2007, 03:26 PM

Los Asados kicks ass, and it's easily the best place in Harlingen.

Well, for Mexican food at least.

There's also the Jerusalem Cafe for some good Mediterranean food.

peewee's lovechild
07-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Aaaaaand, there's always Yoli's Tacos on Southmost St in Brownsville for some pretty good tacos and tostadas.

Mr. Taco on Boca Chica Blvd. and McDavit is also kick ass for tacos and they stay open until like 5 a.m.

Das Texan
07-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Brownsville is a dump.

McAllen is really nice.

peewee's lovechild
07-23-2007, 07:17 AM
Brownsville is a dump.

McAllen is really nice.

They're both shit, and their shittiness is separeted by the smallest of percentages.

dknights411
07-23-2007, 07:58 PM
They're both shit, and their shittiness is separeted by the smallest of percentages.

You think that's bad. I'm spending my summer in Harlingen (a.k.a. HELL!!!)

Das Texan
07-23-2007, 09:20 PM

I have been to both within the last two months.

Brownsville is so much worse compared to McAllen.

Edinburg is also really nice.

peewee's lovechild
07-23-2007, 09:26 PM
I have been to both within the last two months.

Brownsville is so much worse compared to McAllen.

Edinburg is also really nice.

You're probably right, but they are all shit.

valluco
07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Rio Grande City

valluco
07-23-2007, 09:53 PM
I lived in Harlingen for three years, and I have to say that I completely agree.

Los Asados has the best fucking botana platter.

Unfortunately, that's about the best thing that Harlingen has to offer.

Flea
07-23-2007, 10:16 PM
I lived in Harlingen for three years, and I have to say that I completely agree.

Los Asados has the best fucking botana platter.

Unfortunately, that's about the best thing that Harlingen has to offer.

They have a starbucks now and a liquor store with a nice wine selection. You need this in order to get you through your visit.

CrazyOne
07-23-2007, 10:20 PM
My parents lived in Brownsville for 20+ years... I spent a few years there, went to Texas Southmost College one semester and worked two summers on Padre. Los Camperos used to be the best place to eat, but it went south after a while.

peewee's lovechild
07-24-2007, 07:51 AM
My parents lived in Brownsville for 20+ years... I spent a few years there, went to Texas Southmost College one semester and worked two summers on Padre. Los Camperos used to be the best place to eat, but it went south after a while.

Los Camperos is gone my friend!!!

But, Brownsville now has 2 Starbucks, 3 Wing Stops, and a Chick-Fil-A outside the mall!!!

Progress, nothing but progress.

CrazyOne
07-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Los Camperos is gone my friend!!!

But, Brownsville now has 2 Starbucks, 3 Wing Stops, and a Chick-Fil-A outside the mall!!!

Progress, nothing but progress.

Progress... yeah, I guess that's what you call it... :depressed