MoSpur
07-20-2007, 03:24 PM
So one more year and he's a Spur.

Spurs Brazil
07-20-2007, 03:26 PM
He speaks good english

El_Mago
07-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Just to get familiar with the Spurs org.

Probably met a few of the players....ala.....Elson and Parker.

Spurs more than likley gave him an overview of what they expect him to work on in Tau, a weight-training program, and possibly a quick tour of the city and facilities.

Spurs Brazil
07-20-2007, 03:28 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070720/capt.5fbb34a32ddb468baaa34bcb61b6f8a7.spurs_splitt er_basketball_txsae101.jpg

Spurs Brazil
07-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Spurs have high hopes for Splitter's future
ELIZABETH WHITE
Associated Press
SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs introduced the latest addition to their cadre of international players on Friday, Brazilian forward Tiago Splitter, whom they took in the first round of the draft.

The 6-foot-11 Splitter, 22, has a year left to play with Tau Ceramica in Spain, but hopes to join the NBA champions for the 2008-09 season.

"Very seldom does an organization have an opportunity to add a player of the quality of person, the quality of character and the quality of basketball talent through the draft after a championship season that we were able to do this year," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "Although the time isn't right for Tiago to join our team, we're really looking forward to that day coming soon."

Splitter has played for Tau Ceramica the last four seasons after signing with them in 2000. Splitter played 20 games in the 2006-07 Euroleague and averaged 10.7 points and 6.0 rebounds per game. The Spurs took him with the 28th overall selection.

"I'm really glad to be here. And I think it's a great opportunity for me to be part of this team, this club, this city," Splitter said. "I always thought that San Antonio had a different game than the NBA. ... They don't have just one guy who is going to score 40 points every night, but they have a team."

Buford said "we have every indication that we'll be able to bring him into our program" after next season.

The Spurs already boast several international players, highlighted by Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto, both of Argentina, and finals MVP Tony Parker, who was born in Belgium and raised in France. Also playing for San Antonio last season for their fourth championship in nine seasons were Francisco Elson of the Netherlands and Beno Udrih of Slovenia.

Splitter said he'll use next season to improve his game and continue to watch the Spurs.

"Tim Duncan was one of my heroes," Splitter said. "I was always looking at him, and trying to learn a little bit."

Splitter has played on Tau Ceramica with Luis Scola, who was chosen by the Spurs in the 2002 draft but never played for the them. The Spurs held Scola's rights while he continued to play for Tau Ceramica.

The Houston Rockets obtained the draft rights to the Argentinian forward and acquired Jackie Butler in exchange for Vassilis Spanoulis in a trade last week with the Spurs. Houston also gave up a second-round pick in the 2009 draft for Scola.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/17521344.htm

timvp
07-20-2007, 03:35 PM
You can already tell that the Spurs like Splitter a lot more than they ever liked Scola. Scola was pissed that the Spurs picked him. Splitter seems genuinely excited to be drafted by the Spurs.

It's going to rather nice to plug Splitter into the Elson role in the 2008-09 season and let him grow. I see no reason why he can't be the Spurs' starting center for a long beginning in the 2009-10 season.

MoSpur
07-20-2007, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Pop starts him in the middle of the season right around the Rodeo Road trip.

Darkwaters
07-20-2007, 03:44 PM
You can already tell that the Spurs like Splitter a lot more than they ever liked Scola. Scola was pissed that the Spurs picked him. Splitter seems genuinely excited to be drafted by the Spurs.

It's going to rather nice to plug Splitter into the Elson role in the 2008-09 season and let him grow. I see no reason why he can't be the Spurs' starting center for a long beginning in the 2009-10 season.

Never a bad thing to find a long-term starting center (with tons of professional experience already no less) so deep in the draft. I wasn't so high on this draft pick at first. But I'm really excited about getting him now.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2007, 03:46 PM
I see no reason why he can't be the Spurs' starting center for a long beginning in the 2009-10 season.
:tu Yup yup.

Darkwaters
I wouldn't be surprised if Pop starts him in the middle of the season right around the Rodeo Road trip.

It depends on how well he adapts to the NBA game. If he picks it up early I could see that happening. Otherwise, I could see him playing a reserve role most of the season and then sneaking into the starting lineup sometime during the playoffs because of "better matchups" and never giving the spot back.

El_Mago
I expect Tiago to help the Spurs far more than Scola ever would of been able to.

Scola being here would have only cause a log-jam at the 4 spot and could of possibly hindered his ability to play his best.

Splitter is a great fit. He will come in two seasons and fill a void. He can work with Duncan and possibly Ian to become good big men.

BacktoBasics
07-20-2007, 03:47 PM
LMAO @ us already plugging a dude into the starting 5 who averages 10 and 6 in a second rate league.

VaSpursFan
07-20-2007, 03:49 PM
i like this kid already...he's going to do well as a spur

El_Mago
07-20-2007, 03:51 PM
LMAO @ us already plugging a dude into the starting 5 who averages 10 and 6 in a second rate league.

I did not mention such a thing.

I said fill a "void."

But, does he have the potential to get thrown into the starting 5? Yes.

Has it been done? Yes.....ala....Tony Parker....5 games into his rookie season, and now the 2007 Finals MVP.....and he came from a team Paris Basket Racing....that is not even close to the competition Tiago plays against with Tau.

MoSpur
07-20-2007, 03:52 PM

I didn't say it would be a good move. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if Pop were to pull something off like that.

MoSpur
07-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I did not mention such a thing.

I said fill a "void."

But, does he have the potential to get thrown into the starting 5? Yes.

Has it been done? Yes.....ala....Tony Parker....5 games into his rookie season, and now the 2007 Finals MVP.....and he came from a team Paris Basket Racing....that is not even close to the competition Tiago plays against with Tau.

Exactly. Pop flipped flopped between Oberto and Elson. He has flipped flopped with Barry, Finley, and Manu. So it wouldn't be a surprise.

SpursFanFirst
07-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Would he able to play for the Spurs this coming season starting in '08, or will he have to wait until the '08-'09 season starts?

This question seems redundant since people keep saying he won't be able to join us until next season, but then someone mentioned him playing after the RRT.

timvp
07-20-2007, 03:56 PM
LMAO @ us already plugging a dude into the starting 5 who averages 10 and 6 in a second rate league.It becomes a lot less funny when you realize both Elson and Oberto played in the same league and Splitter has had much more team success. Elson put up worse numbers at an older age. Oberto put up similar numbers at an older age.

El_Mago
07-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Out of the press conference....it was good to hear that Elson and Parker are already back to work at the facility.

Parker could be working on his 3pt shot, as he said he would start shooting three's next season.

Elson, hopefully studying defensive rotations and somewhat of a low-post game.

timvp
07-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Mahinmi not Parker.

El_Mago
07-20-2007, 03:59 PM
If true, that would be even better.

Fast Dunk
07-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Tiago who??

mardigan
07-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Tiago who??
How was your draft this year?

MoSpur
07-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Would Mahinmi play power forward and Splitter center?

SpursFanFirst
07-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Would he able to play for the Spurs this coming season starting in '08, or will he have to wait until the '08-'09 season starts?

This question seems redundant since people keep saying he won't be able to join us until next season, but then someone mentioned him playing after the RRT.

Anyone???

Fast Dunk
07-20-2007, 04:03 PM
How was your draft this year?

Just like yours last year.

mardigan
07-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Just like yours last year.
No because we at least had a pick last year

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Anyone???
He's not gonna play this upcoming season. He will play the following season though.

Bruno
07-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Splitter will be very solid for Spurs.
I think he will better than all bigmen (except maybe Horry) paired with Duncan since 2003.

wildbill2u
07-20-2007, 04:17 PM

I've heard that there isn't a buy-out of any consequence next year although he can't be bought out of the Tau contract this year.

Why doesn't someone point out to Tau they could get some money out of Splitter this year to let him go now?

I'd love to see him over here in the Fall for training camp.

spurscenter
07-20-2007, 04:20 PM
I heard HOLT made Splitter pay for parking at the ATT Center

Fast Dunk
07-20-2007, 04:23 PM
I heard HOLT made Splitter pay for parking at the ATT Center

I wouldn't doubt it.

Fast Dunk
07-20-2007, 04:24 PM
No because we at least had a pick last year

Really?

where is he at?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Really?

where is he at?
We traded him to Milwaukee. But we still drafted him. :spin Something you guys didn't do.

ShoogarBear
07-20-2007, 05:09 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070720/capt.5fbb34a32ddb468baaa34bcb61b6f8a7.spurs_splitt er_basketball_txsae101.jpgA preview of angel's next avatar.

T Park
07-20-2007, 05:10 PM
but hes not slovenian....

ShoogarBear
07-20-2007, 05:12 PM
I heard HOLT made Splitter pay for parking at the ATT CenterOkay, I really did LOL.

ShoogarBear
07-20-2007, 05:12 PM
but hes not slovenian....To quote: "you can't teach dreamy like that".

angel_luv
07-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Just saw his picture on the news. He's kind of cute, but if he can't play, he's out of here.

See how tough I am becoming! :)

angel_luv
07-20-2007, 05:23 PM
A preview of angel's next avatar.

:lmao I swear I didn't see that before I posted. Just came into the thread- am watching the news. :lol

Bruno
07-20-2007, 05:50 PM
but hes not slovenian....

And he could be a good player... :)

mystargtr34
07-20-2007, 05:55 PM
LMAO at Pau Gasol aveaging the same numbers in the same league at the same age.

SequSpur
07-20-2007, 05:57 PM
yawn.................................

T Park
07-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Just saw his picture on the news. He's kind of cute, but if he can't play, he's out of here

wheres this treatment for Beno fucking Udrih?

Solid D
07-20-2007, 06:05 PM
If Tiago wrestled, Whottt would be posting full-feature and length oozage over this "appearance". All good wrestlers have a good TV face and Tiago has that.

sprrs
07-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Anyone???

I believe he doesn't have a buyout at all this season. So I'm guessing when they said he'd be playing by the road trip they meant in '08-'09.

objective
07-20-2007, 06:51 PM
OMG! He only averaged 6 rebounds a game! He can't rebound at the NBA level!
:downspin:

Glad to see people talking about him starting halfway into his first year as a Spur. Just like the Jackie Butler predictions. Hopefully the Splitter one works out.

Solid D
07-20-2007, 07:23 PM
OMG! He only averaged 6 rebounds a game! He can't rebound at the NBA level!
:downspin:

Glad to see people talking about him starting halfway into his first year as a Spur. Just like the Jackie Butler predictions. Hopefully the Splitter one works out.

Perhaps true.... but 1.2 x 6 please.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2007, 07:23 PM
A press conference for a guy who is a year away from being able to play for us?

We are so trading this guy in the next two weeks as the part of some trade package.

violentkitten
07-20-2007, 07:24 PM
the spurs don't pimp someone like this if they are going to deal him.

ArgSpursFan
07-20-2007, 07:26 PM
A press conference for a guy who is a year away from being able to play for us?

We are so trading this guy in the next two weeks as the part of some trade package.

That´s all the noise the Spurs are gonna make this off season most likely.Press conference on a guy who is not gonna play this coming season???WTF????

Brutalis
07-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Splitter, do us all a favor, and don't injure yourself before you make it to the big leagues.

objective
07-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Perhaps true.... but 1.2 x 6 please.

I was mocking the anti-Scola super hate parade.

In the euroleague . . .

Scola - 26.5 minutes, 5.9 rebounds, 0.5 blocks

Splitter - 24.75 minutes, 6.0 rebounds, 0.4 blocks

Numbers wise, Splitter sure comes across similar even with the extra 2+ inches

But still everyone goes ape about how much Scola sucks at rebounding and suchl while Splitter is the perfect fit and a rebounding, shotblocking machine

That's not me knocking Splitter, I like him fine for the pick. Plus he'll be cheaper, close to three times cheaper. Just doing a little compare and contrast.

yavozerb
07-20-2007, 07:46 PM

In the euroleague . . .

But still everyone goes ape about how much Scola sucks at rebounding and suchl while Splitter is the perfect fit and a rebounding, shotblocking machine

That's not me knocking Splitter, I like him fine for the pick. Plus he'll be cheaper, close to three times cheaper. Just doing a little compare and contrast.

Forgot to mention younger and appears to have the spurs mentality of Team first..

Solid D
07-20-2007, 07:50 PM

In the euroleague . . .

Ah, okay. Sorry about that.

objective
07-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Forgot to mention younger and appears to have the spurs mentality of Team first..

younger yes.

Team first mentality? Oh, I guess Scola coming off the bench for a national team as well as playing nearly half of his first contract for free in order to buy his way into the NBA means he's selfish.

Just like how Scola is an undersized horrible rebounder . . . and Splitter is an awesome rebounder.

SpursFanFirst
07-20-2007, 08:36 PM
He's not gonna play this upcoming season. He will play the following season though.
Thank you...I was confused after the Rodeo Road Trip comments.

whottt
07-20-2007, 09:11 PM
See? We got a dude coming[/Spurs Brass]

Spurs did this to shut everyone up that was up in arms over the Scola trade...

BigBeezie
07-20-2007, 09:31 PM
My friend at works keep saying that Splitter could have been a 2008 lottery pick. Great character, work ethic and upside. The downside is the guy is under contract for another year and can buyout next season.

whottt
07-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Actually...Splitter probably have been a lottery pick had he entered the draft sooner...

I don't know how good the guy is...but I know that:

#1. He's less of a horses ass than Scola.

#2. He's already a better rebounder than Scola...forget about the fact that Splitter is only 22 and Scola is 27 and at the top of his game.

The impression I get is that the only thing Scola does better than Splitter rigth now is score...then again, no one really knows how good Splitter can score since he's basically been Scola's back up.

You know what's really going to be funny? If Tau wins the Euroleague this year..

whottt
07-20-2007, 09:38 PM
If Tiago wrestled, Whottt would be posting full-feature and length oozage over this "appearance". All good wrestlers have a good TV face and Tiago has that.

Translation:

I find myself attracted to this: http://www.champsarehere.com/images/Superstars/Chris%20Benoit.jpg., as well as Splitter

angel_luv
07-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Splitter was at the Silver Stars game tonight. :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Link?

whottt
07-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey Angel, remember, it's the 5th grader thing ;)

Hemotivo
07-20-2007, 09:52 PM
You know what's really going to be funny? If Tau wins the Euroleague this year..
:p:

TDMVPDPOY
07-20-2007, 10:07 PM
our next draft pick is going to be on someone with the surname "swallow"

angel_luv
07-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Link?

I saw him there... he was introduced to the crowd.

angel_luv
07-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey Angel, remember, it's the 5th grader thing ;)

:lol

FromWayDowntown
07-20-2007, 10:19 PM
the spurs don't pimp someone like this if they are going to deal him.

That's certainly true. Remember last summer when Matt Bonner was paraded around like a show pony while Eric Williams was nowhere to be found.

We all know how that turned out . . . .

loveforthegame
07-20-2007, 10:54 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA072107.04C.NZ.State.BKN_spurs-splitter.en.2e959d9.html

Numbers are in Splitter's favor
Spurs thrilled with top pick, but he can't get his favorite No. 21.

Web Posted: 07/20/2007 10:17 PM CDT

John Whisler

Tiago Splitter, the Spurs' first pick in last month's NBA draft, knows he'll have a number of adjustments to make when he takes the floor for the first time for the team in 2008.

One of them concerns his jersey number.

A 6-foot-11 post player from Brazil, Splitter has worn No. 21 in each of the past four seasons for Tau Cerámica of the Spanish professional league.

That number is currently in use for the Spurs and no doubt will be hanging from the rafters at the AT&T Center some day.

"Tim Duncan is one of my heroes, someone I've always watched in the NBA," Splitter said at a Friday news conference to introduce the 22-year-old.

When asked if planned to talk to the two-time league MVP about giving up the number, Splitter smiled.

"I have no chance," he said.

His signing is still a year away, but Splitter evidently has a grasp on what it will take to fit in that first season.

Come in, work hard and improve under the tutelage of coach Gregg Popovich and the team's collection of established stars. Including Duncan.

"He's a guy you can learn from day-by-day," said Splitter, adding that he's always been an admirer of the Spurs' team-first style of play.

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said he expects Splitter to fit in quite well. He said the Spurs have known about Splitter since he was 16.

Splitter, who speaks four languages — Portuguese, Spanish, English and German — began playing professionally in Europe at age 15. He comes from an athletic family: his sister, 17, is 6-6 and plays basketball in Brazil.

"Seldom does anyone have the opportunity to add a player of this quality, both as a person and as a basketball talent, after a championship season," said Buford, adding that the Spurs "were lucky" he fell to them with the 28th pick in the draft.

Because his contract with Tau Cerámica includes a sizeable buyout for the coming season, Splitter won't play for the Spurs in 2007-08.

Splitter's Tau Cerámica teammate, Luis Scola, faced a similar situation after the Spurs drafted him in the second round in 2002. But Scola's buyout was too large, and two years ago the Spurs' instead elected to sign his friend and Argentine countryman, Fabricio Oberto.

Buford said Splitter's contract has a specific buyout at the end of next season and the Spurs fully "anticipate being able to sign him."

Earlier this month, the Spurs traded Scola's draft rights to the Houston Rockets.

"I haven't talked to him. I don't know what's in his mind," Splitter said of Scola. "I know he wanted to come to the NBA. But Tau wouldn't let him."

Splitter averaged 11.2 points a game, on 61.3 percent shooting, in 28 games last season with Tau Cerámica in the Spanish League and 10.7 points and 6.0 rebounds in 20 games with Tau Cerámica in the Euroleague.

Buford said if Scola jumps to the NBA this season, his absence on Tau Cerámica might help Splitter's development.

"A lot of their post offense went through Luis," Buford said.

As for Splitter's number, Buford said it reminds him of the situation Manu Ginobili faced upon his arrival with the Spurs in 2002. Ginobili's No. 6 had been worn for years by Avery Johnson. But Johnson had retired by then.

Duncan has no such plans.

"I've always liked the number 25," Splitter said.

boutons_
07-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Tiago is sounding better and better, and he's only a college senior age.
We'll all be watching him like hawks next season at Tau Ceramica.

Man of Steel
07-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Tiago who??

Just wondering what is going on in Cleveland right now. What moves have they made or contemplating making?

MrChug
07-21-2007, 12:34 AM

DAMN YOU KNOW SPURS BASKETBALL!! Honestly I was thinking the EXACT same thing...this fucking guy does the same shakeup every year:

AND IT WORKS EVERY YEAR!!!