PDA

View Full Version : Brewers won't treat Bonds differently in Milwaukee

Horry For 3!
07-20-2007, 03:54 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Au5bMaRxfGIX.46Doez3tyMRvLYF?slug=ap-bondsinmilwaukee&prov=ap&type=lgns

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Barry Bonds is headed for Miller Park with a chance to break Hank Aaron's career home run record, and Brewers manager Ned Yost is pledging not to treat him any differently.

Bonds homered twice in the Giants' 9-8 loss to the Chicago Cubs on Thursday, giving him 753 for his career. He needs just three more to break the record set by Aaron, who started and finished his career in Milwaukee.

"We just play the game," Yost said after the Brewers beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 10-1 on Thursday. "It doesn't matter if it is Bonds or Derrek Lee. If it's a guy we don't want beating us in a situation, we'll do what we need to do. But then again, I don't think it is fair to your fans to take away from them an opportunity to see history made."

Milwaukee also is the home of commissioner Bud Selig, who hasn't said whether he'll be in the seats as Bonds attempts to make history.

"It doesn't mean anything different than anywhere else," Bonds said of playing in Aaron's town. "Right now, I just feel good. My body feels great. I feel rejuvenated a little bit."

The Giants-Cubs game was on in the home clubhouse at Miller Park after Milwaukee's victory as players watched to see if Bonds would hit a third home run.

Yost said Bonds being so close to the record and the circus atmosphere that will accompany him to Milwaukee will not impact his team.

"We're just going to play the game like we do any other one," he said. "We're focused on winning games, not sitting back and watching the home run record. I'm sure they (his team) are willing to see the home run record broken, but they want to see it on ESPN."

Right-handers Jeff Suppan, Dave Bush and Claudio Vargas are scheduled to start for NL Central-leading Milwaukee in the weekend series against the Giants. Bonds has hit one home run off Suppan, none against Bush and Vargas and 21 in his career against Milwaukee.

He also has six homers at Miller Park, which opened in 2001.

"We're not going to run and hide to make sure this guy doesn't do this or that," Yost said. "We are going to do our best to make sure that if it happens, it is in a competitive nature."

San Francisco returns home for a seven-game homestand after the series against Milwaukee.

AP Sports Writer Janie McCauley in Chicago contributed to this report.

Horry For 3!
07-20-2007, 03:54 PM
2 more HRs away from the record, 3 to break the record.

:smokin

K-State Spur
07-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Most of the managers pitching around Bonds constantly don't know their A from a hole in the ground.

Not to say that their certainly aren't situations where that is called for, because clearly there are situations where you want to force somebody else to beat you.

But when you walk Bonds early in the game, he scores from firstbase via that walk a higher percentage of the time than he hits a HR. So you're basically making things harder on your pitcher by not going at him.

ducks
07-21-2007, 08:17 PM
2 more HRs away from the record, 3 to break the record.

:smokin
then he he will indected :cooldevil