PDA

View Full Version : MATT BONNER having a Fun Off Season!

spurscenter
07-21-2007, 02:45 AM
Good for him, enjoy it.

Kevin Gray: The ubiquitous Mr. Bonner

http://www.theunionleader.com/uploads/media-items/2007/july/716c1matt.jpg

http://www.theunionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Kevin+Gray%3a+The+ubiquitous +Mr.+Bonner&articleId=96741853-b39d-4e75-8823-606346032a71

By KEVIN GRAY
Staff Sports Writer
Monday, Jul. 16, 2007

MATT BONNER has reached the point in his career where he needs an entourage. Or at least a personal assistant to keep everything straight.

There is only so much time to direct a basketball camp, promote a charity concert, and spend an evening with the Manchester Wolves -- and that was only a sliver of Friday's schedule.

Since returning to New Hampshire earlier this month, Bonner has shaken more hands and logged more face time than Hillary Clinton, who might've bumped into the NBA champion over the weekend.

Everyone else has.

Bonner, who recently signed a three-year contract extension with the San Antonio Spurs, has thrown out ceremonial first pitches for the Nashua Pride and New Hampshire Fisher Cats. Friday night at the Wolves football game, he was toying with Nancy Clark of North Conway in an on-field free-throw shooting contest.
Matt Bonner (DAVID LANE)
Matt Bonner gestures to the crowd after making a no-look over-the-shoulder basket during an exhibition at Friday night’s Wolves game at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester. (DAVID LANE)

►Bonner brothers, Concord’s basketball superstars, host a charity rock show
►Bonner stays with Spurs
►The NBA Life: NBA ring a first for NH
►NBA Life: 'It's a circus' in the NBA finals
►NBA Life: Bonner, Spurs look ahead to NBA Finals

His inaugural charity concert, "Matt Bonner Presents: Sneakers & Speakers," hosted three bands at the Capitol Center for the Arts in Concord on Saturday. The headlining act, Okkervil River, brought the younger crowd to its feet on a memorable night for the Bonners, whose grassroots concert drew about 400 fans.

Today, another weeklong camp begins at Plymouth State University.

Ah, the offseason.

"I'm losing my mind right now, actually," Bonner said. "I wish I could clone myself so I had a few more of me to get through these last two weeks.

"I'm probably going to sleep for about three days after this is all over."

The thought of a personal assistant is laughable to Bonner, a fiscally savvy shooting forward who inked a reported three-year, $9 million contract extension last week. He relies on family, friends, phone calls, e-mails and text messages to help sort out the madness.

Parents Dave and Paula Bonner, along with brother Luke, are all busy working basketball camps, and Luke has been a partner in the concert business.

"It's a lot of work, but when it's something you're passionate about, you don't mind putting in all the time," said Luke, who helped conduct a free basketball clinic yesterday at the Concord Boys and Girls Club, the beneficiary of the concert.

What's a day in the life of Matt Bonner? Consider this two-day stretch he said was typical of last week:

Awake at 6:30 a.m. in Concord, spend 45 minutes preparing for camp, loading the car with shirts, balls, photos, etc. Drive to WTPL-FM in Bow for radio interview. Drive to Derry and spend the day working at the SportsZone for camp. At 3:15 p.m., drive to Concord and drop off tickets for concert. Go home. Shower. Drive to Newmarket and serve as a judge for Granite State Songwriting Contest. Program new iPhone and sleep at hotel on the Seacoast.

Catch your breath before reading day two:

Awake at 6:30 a.m. Visit WHEB studios in Portsmouth for "Morning Buzz" interview. Back to Derry for camp. Drive to Concord and secure hotel rooms for band members. Drive to Kinko's and order banners for concert. Back home. Shower. Catch up on e-mails. Back to Kinko's to pick up order. Back home and sign 300 photos, in addition to more preparation for camp.

Naturally, a hands-on approach to daily tasks only adds to the busy schedule. The NBA champion probably could've had a friend pick up the banners and posters at Kinko's, but Bonner had to make sure they were perfect.

"I always feel like I'm from New Hampshire. It's a small state, and I know so many people here. I would feel ridiculous if I had someone doing all this stuff for me. Just call me if you need something. You don't have to go through someone else," he said.

Friday afternoon, Bonner gave his last words of wisdom to 180 campers in Derry. He also thrilled the kids by handing out official NBA championship hats and shirts -- exactly the same gear worn by the Spurs during their on-court celebration.

It was a good week to hang out with the Red Rocket, whose messages ranged from the recycling to rebounding. Casey Woodring, a 13-year-old from Darien, Conn., went home with a new outlook on improving his game. And work hard.

"Whenever you're not working, somebody else is," Woodring said. "If you want to sleep in Saturday morning and play video games, there's always going to be somebody working on their game to get better than you. That's the biggest thing I've learned, and that's why Matt's in the NBA."

Since returning home, the 27-year-old Bonner has maintained a fitness level through swimming and weight lifting. The former valedictorian at Concord High vows to take a much-needed break next week after his camps are finished.

Of course, he's also planning an off-season conditioning program that involves running up Loon Mountain a few times per week.

On those days, catching up with Bonner isn't quite so easy.

http://www.spurscenter.com/images/mattbonner.jpg

Sweetey
07-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I LOVE the Red Rocket and hope he gets more playing time this next season. He really has the potential and talent to become a superstar in the NBA

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/jlo49/RedRocket.jpg

50 cent
07-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Superstar??

:lol

Sam
07-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Next week (July 31st-Aug. 2nd) he's going to Brazil to represent the Spurs at the NBA Cares program.

pad300
07-21-2007, 11:19 AM
What is this shit!!! Matt, WE NEED YOU TO WORK ON YOUR DAMN GAME!!! FOCUS MAN

Tens of Thousands of shots...
Rebounding drills for an hour a day...
Weights...
Conditioning...

The Spurs are paying you 9,000,000 for the next 3 years. You'd better be a lean, mean BASKETBALL MACHINE.

Particularly as you look to either be starting beside TD or first big off the bench...

SAGambler
07-21-2007, 12:12 PM
The former valedictorian at Concord High

There is something you see on very few resumes of athletes.

So the kid is intelligent too.

I'd bet right now he didn't major in basket weaving in college.

Sam
07-21-2007, 12:57 PM
What is this shit!!! Matt, WE NEED YOU TO WORK ON YOUR DAMN GAME!!! FOCUS MAN

Tens of Thousands of shots...
Rebounding drills for an hour a day...
Weights...
Conditioning...

The Spurs are paying you 9,000,000 for the next 3 years. You'd better be a lean, mean BASKETBALL MACHINE.

Particularly as you look to either be starting beside TD or first big off the bench...

Dude, chill out. He's in the process of swimming and lifting. He starts the 3rd week of August with serious intensive workouts. He has to have some down time.

Sam
07-21-2007, 12:58 PM
There is something you see on very few resumes of athletes.

So the kid is intelligent too.

I'd bet right now he didn't major in basket weaving in college.

Business Adminstration with a 3.8 in college. Got one B in his freshmen year because he didn't do well on a final that he had to take when the Gators were playing over Thanksgiving in Hawaii. Said he was a little distracted. ;)

pad300
07-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Dude, chill out. He's in the process of swimming and lifting. He starts the 3rd week of August with serious intensive workouts. He has to have some down time.

Just for you:

:p: :spin :dramaquee

Maybe we should make a convention to put sarcasm in green ...

SequSpur
07-21-2007, 06:43 PM
overrated forum

judaspriestess
07-21-2007, 06:47 PM
why is he wearing a Boy George/Culture Club hat??

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2007, 09:29 PM
I LOVE the Red Rocket and hope he gets more playing time this next season. He really has the potential and talent to become a superstar in the NBA.

:lol Superstar, I think NOT.

However, who needs one? As long as he knocks down his open looks, hustles on the boards and intangibles, and plays some decent D, everyone will be very happy with him.

Sweetey
07-21-2007, 11:23 PM
:lol Superstar, I think NOT.

However, who needs one? As long as he knocks down his open looks, hustles on the boards and intangibles, and plays some decent D, everyone will be very happy with him.

Hold your cows buddy -- da red rocket WILL be a SUPERSTAR. Book it !!!!

Sweetey
07-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Superstar??

:lol

Yea, NBA Superstar. Not one of your 10-cent whore "superstars" shown in your sig pic. Grow up !!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/jlo49/jackbauer.jpg

Supreme_Being
07-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Super FUCKING star. Book it.

Sweetey
07-22-2007, 01:10 AM
Super FUCKING star. Book it.

Yep ! Book it AND Bank it ! The Red Rocket will soar this next season.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/jlo49/yahoo.gif

spurscenter
07-22-2007, 02:13 AM
Dude Dont Be a Dick

http://www.vatsaas.org/rtv/misc/notrocs/red_rocket_amber.jpg

Clutch20
07-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah, lol, he needs to focus more on his skills and drills but you know what, he's gonna remember all them little kiddie faces with big eyes looking up at him and soon as preseason starts and he get's his hands on the ball, Bonner should play extra hard, probably thinking all the while that he doesn't want to let his people back home feeling disappointed.

ObiwanGinobili
07-22-2007, 05:13 PM
red rocket is my new favorite bench player. :tu

ever since I saw that you-tube of his explanation on his new car, I've been in love.

Mister Sinister
07-22-2007, 05:15 PM
why is he wearing a Boy George/Culture Club hat??
Because androgynous '80s musicians are made of win and awesome.

Sweetey
07-22-2007, 08:40 PM
red rocket is my new favorite bench player. :tu

ever since I saw that you-tube of his explanation on his new car, I've been in love.
Woah, sista ! The Red Rocket is MY MAN ! Don't mess with my man !!!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/jlo49/biggrin.gif