PDA

View Full Version : Manny, what the hell is going on?

inconvertible
07-21-2007, 07:18 AM
since there hasn't been any real hurricane activity so far this year. do you think what is happening to us, is what should be happening in the gulf, thus all the rain?

CharlieMac
07-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Damn you mankind. Damn youse!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2007, 08:50 AM
I was reading about this the other day. Hurricane activity in the Atlantic/Caribbean is heavily influenced by the El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO) in the Pacific, although changes in ENSO usually take 12-18 months to translate into changes in Atlantic Hurricane activity (don't ask me why, but that's what has been observed by climatologists).

We have been in El Nino for about 4 years until early this year. The index is now neutral but expected to move to La Nina some time in the next quarter. However, the lag effect means that you'll probably have another quiet hurricane season, but look out next year if the trend toward La Nina conditions continues.

What say you Manny?

AlamoSpursFan
07-21-2007, 09:19 AM
It's Global Warming, of course. Everyone knows that.

Sincerely,
algore

:lmao

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2007, 09:44 PM
It's Global Warming, of course. Everyone knows that.

Sincerely,
algore

:lmao

Why is that funny?

01Snake
07-21-2007, 09:57 PM
The season doesn't really get going until August. We are actually above average as far as activity this season.

Flight3107
07-21-2007, 10:04 PM
That damn Global Warming

:lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm not going to take the bait this time.

You wanna live with your head lodged firmly up your arse, by all means, go ahead.

Flight3107
07-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Looks like you have already taken the bait

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Nope, if I took the bait I'd be pointing out the fallacy of trying to describe individual or seasonal events using a theory that describes change on a scale of decades, only I'd waste an hour of my time doing so and finding sources to explain it to you that you wouldn't bother to read.

Also, I'd go into detail about what most scientists think of Al Gore - that he is a bad joke, and a hypocrite, who only makes their job more difficult by polarising people along political lines rather than encouraging them to explore the science.

Anyhoo, no bait, I'm out.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2007, 10:51 PM
The season doesn't really get going until August. We are actually above average as far as activity this season.

This is a good point too - doesn't your peak hurricane season last from Aug to Oct?

It will be interesting to see what happens this season. Last year the ENSO index was firmly positive and we were in El Nino conditions - Oz was still in drought and you had a dead hurricane season. This year it was expected to move firmly negative but hasn't as of yet and has been hovering in the neutral zone for about 6 months. However, our drought has already been broken in some areas, and there have been two 50-yr flood events in the last two months. It's been a cold winter here too, with lots of snow, which is typical of the swing away from El Nino.

Flight3107
07-21-2007, 10:52 PM
http://alt.cimedia.com/ajc/jpg/polinsider/koolaid1.JPG

CubanMustGo
07-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Ruff, I'm glad to hear that you're finally getting some drought relief in Ozland. It had been pretty bad down there for a while, hadn't it?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Ruff, I'm glad to hear that you're finally getting some drought relief in Ozland. It had been pretty bad down there for a while, hadn't it?

Some places hadn't had a drop of rain (no exaggeration) in 6 years! We haven't had a drought like this in 100 years, and we've been in drought something like 14 of the last twenty years. Very bad. I feel for the poor farmers.

The thing about Oz is, because ENSO largely controls our east coast climate, we are either in drought or flood and there's not much in between. Unfortunately, the floods prove almost as destructive as the droughts.

Thanks for the concern. :)

LaMarcus Bryant
07-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Who the fuck is Manny?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2007, 11:36 PM
MannyIsGod, original poster, meteorology nut...

Zombie
07-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Manny is busy wearing his Full tilt hat playing poker(GAY)!

E20
07-21-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't know if anbody has heard, but there is a speacial segment on Discovery Channel: Can we control the the Weather? :lol

NorCal510
07-21-2007, 11:44 PM
Ya'll act like Manny is the fucking weatherman.

go to www.weather.com god damnit