PDA

View Full Version : A Suns fan is writing for FoxSport and saying Spurs-Suns was fixed...

zocool16
07-21-2007, 01:26 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7045572

Did Donaghy fix Game 3 of Suns-Spurs?
Kevin Hench
FOXSports.com, Updated 2 hours ago

There aren't many dark days in the Valley of the Sun in mid-summer, but Friday must have been pretty gloomy.

Just when Phoenix Suns fans were moving through the acceptance phase of their grief over last year's unjust playoff exit comes another knee to the groin.

As if the playoff suspensions of Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw (in exchange for instigator Robery Horry) hadn't been a big enough miscarriage of justice, now comes news that NBA referee Tim Donaghy is under FBI investigation for betting on basketball. There are even allegations of mob ties.

While those charges have yet to be proven, there is very little debate among the basketball cognoscenti as to what was the most dubiously officiated game in this spring's playoffs. It was Game 3 of the Suns-Spurs Western Conference semifinals on May 12.

It was a bewildering carnival of bad calls, bad non-calls and egregiously late calls.

Who did that game? Eddie F. Rush, Greg Willard and Tim Donaghy.

The Suns' gut-wrenching six-game loss to the Spurs had already plunged their fans into the grief cycle, only then it was due largely to David Stern's failure to insert a measure of mitigating sanity to his zero-tolerance bench-leaving policy.

The pain played out like this:

# Denial — This can't be happening. Robert Horry didn't just hip-check Steve Nash into the scorer's table with the result being the suspensions of our only low-post scorer and best low-post passer. This cannot be happening.

# Anger — We hate you, David Stern! We'd like to see Charles Barkley throw you through a plate glass window at Dan Majerle's bar!

# Bargaining — Please, please, let us squeak out Game 5. Let the series go seven games. We'll forget all about the unjust suspensions.

# Depression — We lost. We're doomed. It's over. Our window of opportunity is closing. Nash is 33. That was our shot.

# Acceptance — We're down, but not out. We just signed Grant Hill. Stoudemire will be another year away from microfracture surgery. Leandro Barbosa is getting better by the minute.

And then whammo! It looks like the NBA has a dirty ref and he called a pivotal playoff game that the Suns lost. So, for beleaguered Suns fans, the stages of grieving begin anew.

# Denial — There is simply no way an official in a major American sport would do this. This isn't Italian soccer, dammit.

# Anger — Was Game 3 the game when Bruce Bowen essentially assaulted Nash from start to finish? Was Bowen really whistled for only two fouls? Did Nash really shoot only three free throws? Was that the game where the Suns were in the midst of a run-out when they were interrupted by a foul call so late it just had to be an inadvertent whistle?

# Bargaining — Okay. Please, Federal Bureau of Investigation, just tell us Donaghy hadn't bet on that game. Please just tell us that a pile of mob money didn't come down on the Spurs in Game 3.

# Depression — Ah, what's the difference? It's not like Stern is going to give us a do-over.

# Acceptance — Probably never.

First, Game 3 will have to be put under a microscope. Hard to believe it will look any better under a jeweler's loupe than it did on TV.

Off the top of my head, the worst non-call — after Bowen forced a turnover by chopping down on Nash's off hand as the point guard was crossing over — came right in front of Rush, not Donaghy.

One other critical officiating error was a whistle on a clean block by Stoudemire, who played only 21 minutes due to foul trouble.

And then there was the whistle delivered from Shangri-La. The Suns had forced a miss, secured the ball and were pushing it up court when a foul was called, retroactive to the shot attempt. If it turns out that Donaghy made this particular call — after having a couple of seconds to think about it — it will look very bad.

The Spurs were favored by four in Game 3 and won by seven, 108-101. They shot nine more free throws than the Suns, a perfectly reasonable gap between an interior-scoring team and a jump-shooting team. While the risk of fixing a playoff game is increased by the closer scrutiny of the game, it is easier to place large bets without setting off red flags because there's much more money being wagered on a playoff game than a regular season game.

If Donaghy is convicted of fixing any games over the last two seasons — during which the FBI was monitoring his games — how will Stern, who must have precious little credibility in Phoenix, ever convince Suns fans that they weren't the victims of a fix? I mean, besides the one he himself sanctioned after Game 4. (And if it turns out Donaghy did conspire to fix Game 3, how happy will Suns fans be with the FBI for allowing their team to be an unwitting victim in a two-year-old sting operation?)

For years Stern has been dismissing the cries of conspiracy theorists and fining anyone who dared open his mouth about the officiating. He even went so far as to threaten to throw Jeff Van Gundy out of the league.

If during a criminal court proceeding it comes to light that Donaghy was influencing the outcome of games, is Stern prepared to return any fine money levied against a player, coach or owner who criticized what turned out to be crooked officiating?

Former Orlando Magic coach Brian Hill was fined $25,000 after complaining bitterly about the officiating in a game Donaghy did on March 6, 2006.

Stern could conceivably return that fine money if it turns out Donaghy was in the bag. But what if evidence emerges that Donaghy had money on the Spurs in Game 3?

If that's the case, Stern's refusal to adjudicate the Horry-Stoudemire-Diaw non-fight fairly will have compounded a criminal act. How could he ever make things right in Phoenix?

He might start by awarding Phoenix, one of the finalists, the 2009 All-Star Game. But would he dare show up?

Suns fans may still be grieving.

SpursDynasty
07-21-2007, 01:30 PM
DAMNIT SUNS FANS:

The suspensions were a result of LETTER OF THE LEAGUE RULES: LEAVING THE BENCH DURING AN ALTERCATION, PLAIN AND SIMPLE! It was NOT caused by Horry bumping Nash. The suspensions have NOTHING to do with Stern, a conspiracy, or referee betting. IT'S THE LEAGUE RULE, PLAIN AND FUCKING SIMPLE. Stop typing it in with the current NBA issue.

When are you all going to learn this???? The heat frying your brains out there???

If any of the Spurs left the bench, they would have been suspended too.

Next time Nash will learn not to flop so hugely on a small bump by Horry.

See my signature. And it's not like you guys didn't have your chances before....You got owned in 2005 by SA and 2006 by Dallas. Heck, you guys didn't even belong in the 2006 WCF's. Run and gun and shoot does not equal a championship. You can get your 60 wins by running around and getting any easy jump shots you want vs. poor defensive teams, but once you get to the playoffs, you're not getting easy shots vs the Hawks and the Hornets and the Bears or whoever.

Beaverfuzz
07-21-2007, 01:31 PM
I guess Donaghy is responsible for the Spurs making a few more baskets than the Suns?

zocool16
he's kinda talkin about game 3.... but yeah what the hell

inconvertible
are you kidding. in that game the suns assaulted the spurs all game. until horry had enough.

Mister Sinister
07-21-2007, 01:32 PM
:vomit:

zocool16
07-21-2007, 01:34 PM
are you kidding. in that game the suns assaulted the spurs all game. until horry had enough.

game 3 people, game 3 (horry's clutch "shot" was in game 4)

Dex
I love how people like to bitch about things that will never change.

You know, I think it'd be pretty fuckin' cool for the sky to be green, but I'm not gonna make it come any closer to happening.

Darkwaters
This is exactly what this rivalry needs...a mob connection.

Budkin
07-21-2007, 01:35 PM
That wasn't even the fucking hip check game... Game 3 was a Spurs blowout until the end of the 4th when the Suns rallied, but the Spurs held them off. Game 4 was almost identical but the Suns were able to come all the way back and win.

GET THE FUCK OVER IT SUNS FANS... YOU LOST TO THE CHAMPS!!!!

Leetonidas
07-21-2007, 01:35 PM
I thought Robert Horry's hip check came in Game 4 because wasn't Game 4 when they tied it up but Diaw and Amare sat out Game 5?

Dex
07-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I thought Robert Horry's hip check came in Game 4 because wasn't Game 4 when they tied it up but Diaw and Amare sat out Game 5?

It did. Horry's hip check came after the Suns had pretty much wrapped up Game 4 and were getting ready to burn out the clock.

The "shangri-la" call he references here was just a suspiciously late whistle that came about late in Game 3 when the Spurs were pulling away. And it did, admittedly, rob the Suns of one small chance at coming back.

Then again, it's not like they didn't waste plenty others themselves.

FromWayDowntown
07-21-2007, 01:38 PM
This column isn't about Donaghy. It's about taking another turn at complaining that Stern's decision to enforce a rule the way it had always been enforced -- that Stern should have made a one-time exception that would have bailed out Amare and Diaw for having their heads up their asses at a crucial moment in time.

The Donaghy thing is now just a means to resuscitate long-dead whining.

Slinkyman
07-21-2007, 01:45 PM
i love suns fans, they make me laugh. :lol

HaHaa
07-21-2007, 01:47 PM
This column isn't about Donaghy. It's about taking another turn at complaining that Stern's decision to enforce a rule the way it had always been enforced -- that Stern should have made a one-time exception that would have bailed out Amare and Diaw for having their heads up their asses at a crucial moment in time.

Well....he made an acception for Tim Duncan.

Hmmmmmmmm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MHyuPorlLiQ

SAGambler
While the risk of fixing a playoff game is increased by the closer scrutiny of the game, it is easier to place large bets without setting off red flags because there's much more money being wagered on a playoff game than a regular season game.

I disagree with this. If you have a game like Spurs - Hornets and the Spurs are a 16 point favorite, it's much easier to control that type of spread without being so obvious about it. And being just another RS game, it won't draw attention when the Spurs only win by 13. It'll just be well, the Spurs took their foot off the pedal once the game was in hand.

Those are the type of games I would bet he had money on.

td4mvp21

Exactly. The suspensions were completely irrelevant to bring up in an article about Donaghy. All I saw in that article was bitching-not too surprising for a Suns-related product.

Leetonidas
07-21-2007, 01:51 PM

Hmmmmmmmm

It's funny how most other fans in the NBA realize that there wasn't an altercation on court which is why Tim Duncan wasn't suspended yet moronic whiny bitch ass Suns Fans don't fucking get it.

You assholes are so fucking annoying with your conspiracy bullshit. You really think David Stern wanted the ratings-poison Spurs in the Finals instead of the most fast paced exciting team in the NBA? Get real dumbshit. Your team just sucks ass and two of your players and fucking idiots.

td4mvp21
07-21-2007, 01:51 PM

Hmmmmmmmm

:lmao You can't even see anything. When Duncan is seen on the court, all you see is Nash and a referee. What an altercation! If you want to convince us that Stern made an exception for Duncan (which he didn't), then you'll have to show us some better evidence (which you won't be able to find any). In fact, I'm willing to bet you'll either:
a) Completely ignore this post
b) Disregard what I said and tell me how I and other Spurs fans are just in denial
c) Show some other stupid footage that proves nothing

HaHaa
07-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Exactly. The suspensions were completely irrelevant to bring up in an article about Donaghy. All I saw in that article was bitching-not too surprising for a Suns-related product.

So why didn't Tim Duncan get suspended then??

Since your so adamant about the Amare and Boris suspensions being in line with the rules....

HaHaa
07-21-2007, 01:53 PM
It's funny how most other fans in the NBA realize that there wasn't an altercation on court which is why Tim Duncan wasn't suspended yet moronic whiny bitch ass Suns Fans don't fucking get it.

You assholes are so fucking annoying with your conspiracy bullshit. You really think David Stern wanted the ratings-poison Spurs in the Finals instead of the most fast paced exciting team in the NBA? Get real dumbshit. Your team just sucks ass and two of your players and fucking idiots.

SO WHY DID HE COME ONTO THE COURT THEN MORON?!

YOUR OBVIOUSLY IN DENIAL BECAUSE YOU KNOW THE TRUTH :clap

Slinkyman

Hmmmmmmmm

Tim was going to the scorers table to check in :lol :lol :lol

coopdogg3

Hmmmmmmmm

1) Not to nit-pick but it's exception, not acception - very big difference.

2) The rule states there has to be an altercation. There wasn't. No rule was broken.

FromWayDowntown
07-21-2007, 01:54 PM

Since your so adamant about the Amare and Boris suspensions being in line with the rules....

Because there was no altercation when Tim Duncan was on the floor. There was an altercation when Amare and Boris were on the floor.

Really, you're about 2 months too late with this stuff.

TwoHandJam
07-21-2007, 01:54 PM
I knew it! I'm positive I saw Donaghy hold Nash scoreless for the first half of that game.

Damn crooked refs.

coopdogg3
07-21-2007, 01:55 PM

If there had been a fight, a blow-up, a shoving contest, whathaveyou, then Duncan and Bowen should have been suspended. There wasn't. There was no fight whatsoever. No rule was broken.

td4mvp21
07-21-2007, 01:56 PM

In fact, I'm willing to bet you'll either:
a) Completely ignore this post
b) Disregard what I said and tell me how I and other Spurs fans are just in denial

Kori Ellis
07-21-2007, 01:57 PM

It's pretty simple. Duncan left the bench NOT during an altercation. Amare and Boris left the bench DURING an altercation.

It's not the rest of the world's fault that your players and moreso your assistant coaches are freakin' stupid. From their first day in the league (and even beforehand when they go to rookie training camp), it's stressed over and over for players not to leave the bench during an altercation. For assistant coaches, it's stressed over and over and over and over that during an altercation, their first job is to keep the players on the bench. They shouldn't even care what's happening on the court - other people will handle that.

Go watch your freakin YouTube over and over, while crying in your soup and keep your eye on Marc Iavaroni and how he's so clueless that he doesn't even think to put his arms out or turn to the bench.

Idiots.

By the way, what's the point of the new troll name?

Leetonidas
07-21-2007, 01:57 PM

Um, because Elson dropped hard to the floor? Typically when a player gets injured, players from the bench check to see if he's okay. There was not an altercation; Elson just fell on the ground after the play. You're obviously in denial because you can't come to grips with that. Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen didn't even step on the three point line while you have Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw running towards Horry and Nash. Fucking idiot.

SAGambler
07-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Well....he made an exception for Tim Duncan.

Hmmmmmmmm

There. I fixed it for you.

lefty
07-21-2007, 01:59 PM

BECAUSE there was no fight !!! u are suspended if u leave the bench to join an altercation ; Timmy did leave the bench, but there was no altercation

duncan228
07-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Will this never go away? Will the Suns fans ever learn?

lefty
07-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Suns are fun to watch, but they are not a championship team ; in fact, they are the Phoenix Funs

Kori Ellis
07-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Suns are fun to watch, but they are not a championship team ; in fact, they are the Phoenix Funs

Well as their fearless leader says, their "goal is to entertain."

PM5K
07-21-2007, 02:05 PM
All I can say is that I'd really like to be able to see that game again.

I DVR them all, but eventually delete them so I no longer have it...

HaHaa
07-21-2007, 02:07 PM
It's pretty simple. Duncan left the bench NOT during an altercation. Amare and Boris left the bench DURING an altercation.

It's not the rest of the world's fault that your players and moreso your assistant coaches are freakin' stupid. From their first day in the league (and even beforehand when they go to rookie training camp), it's stressed over and over for players not to leave the bench during an altercation. For assistant coaches, it's stressed over and over and over and over that during an altercation, their first job is to keep the players on the bench. They shouldn't even care what's happening on the court - other people will handle that.

Go watch your freakin YouTube over and over, while crying in your soup and keep your eye on Marc Iavaroni and how he's so clueless that he doesn't even think to put his arms out or turn to the bench.

Idiots.

By the way, what's the point of the new troll name?

www.nba.com/analysis/rules_history.html

"Any player who leaves the bench during a fight automatically suspended for a minimum of one game and fined a maximum of $20,000; in addition to losing 1/82nd of his salary for each game, he is suspended."

Interesting, doesn't a fight have to consist of punches being thrown?

judaspriestess
07-21-2007, 02:07 PM
game three was not the reason the suns of bitches lost the series. Game ONE was.

next conspiracy theory

Will this never go away? Will the Suns fans ever learn?
NO and this is why they will never win either.

lefty
07-21-2007, 02:08 PM

"Any player who leaves the bench during a fight automatically suspended for a minimum of one game and fined a maximum of $20,000; in addition to losing 1/82nd of his salary for each game, he is suspended."

Wow ; u are so desperate

lefty
07-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Well as their fearless leader says, their "goal is to entertain."

:lol

monosylab1k
07-21-2007, 02:10 PM
DAMNIT SUNS FANS:

The suspensions were a result of LETTER OF THE LEAGUE RULES: LEAVING THE BENCH DURING AN ALTERCATION, PLAIN AND SIMPLE! It was NOT caused by Horry bumping Nash. The suspensions have NOTHING to do with Stern, a conspiracy, or referee betting. IT'S THE LEAGUE RULE, PLAIN AND FUCKING SIMPLE. Stop typing it in with the current NBA issue.

When are you all going to learn this???? The heat frying your brains out there???

If any of the Spurs left the bench, they would have been suspended too.

Next time Nash will learn not to flop so hugely on a small bump by Horry.

See my signature. And it's not like you guys didn't have your chances before....You got owned in 2005 by SA and 2006 by Dallas. Heck, you guys didn't even belong in the 2006 WCF's. Run and gun and shoot does not equal a championship. You can get your 60 wins by running around and getting any easy jump shots you want vs. poor defensive teams, but once you get to the playoffs, you're not getting easy shots vs the Hawks and the Hornets and the Bears or whoever.
he's talking about game 3 you stupid dick.

HaHaa
07-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Wow ; u are so desperate

Ha, no. You just know the truth deep down

I like how the Spurs fans change words in the ruling books from fight to "altercation".

Creative, I must say!

Kori Ellis
07-21-2007, 02:13 PM

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_12.html?nav=ArticleList

During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $35,000. The suspensions will commence prior to the start of their next game.

FromWayDowntown
07-21-2007, 02:14 PM

Why don't we start with the actual language of the rule and not some summary. Here's the real language, straight from the NBA rulebook:

c. During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $50,000.

The suspensions will commence prior to the start of their next game.

http://www.nba.com/media/rule_book_2006-07.pdf

Now, why don't you point me to the language in that rule that says anything about a fight?

coopdogg3
07-21-2007, 02:15 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/rule_book_2005-06.pdf

The official rule reads "altercation" not fight. I can't copy and paste with a pdf, but it's Section 7 part c

al·ter·ca·tion / Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[awl-ter-key-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun a heated or angry dispute; noisy argument or controversy[I][U].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1350–1400; ME altercacioun < L altercātiōn- (s. of altercātiō). See altercate, -ion]

—Synonyms quarrel, disagreement, clash; squabble, tiff.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/altercation

HaHaa
07-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Why don't we start with the actual language of the rule and not some summary. Here's the real language, straight from the NBA rulebook:

http://www.nba.com/media/rule_book_2006-07.pdf

Now, why don't you point me to the language in that rule that says anything about a fight?

all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench.

Looks like we have some gray area then??

HOW DO YOU MEASURE "VICINITY"

coopdogg3
07-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Ha, no. You just know the truth deep down

I like how the Spurs fans change words in the ruling books from fight to "altercation".

Creative, I must say!

Sigh, yeah, we're changing the rules. This is just so sad. Doing the Arizona education system proud. Sorry dude, but the rule states altercation, Amare broke the rule. Duncan didn't. It's just that simple.

monosylab1k
07-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Stu Jackson does that in the manner that he and Fuhrer Stern see fit.

Solid D
07-21-2007, 02:17 PM
It's fine for Spurs fans to offer a quick minute to sympathize with Suns fans who may need therapy to get through their emotional baggage...

but we have our own Scola trade baggage so, sorry, our emotional storage area is full and so is our car-top carrier. Bye-bye then and run along Suns fans.

coopdogg3
07-21-2007, 02:18 PM
But just so we're clear - a fight doesn't HAVE to be punches thrown either. So you're wrong on every imaginable level.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fight

fight / Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fahyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, fought, fight·ing.
–noun 1. a battle or combat.
2. any contest or struggle: a fight for recovery from an illness.
3. an angry argument or disagreement: Whenever we discuss politics, we end up in a fight.
4. Boxing. a bout or contest.
5. a game or diversion in which the participants hit or pelt each other with something harmless: a pillow fight; a water fight.
6. ability, will, or inclination to fight: There was no fight left in him.
–verb (used without object) 7. to engage in battle or in single combat; attempt to defend oneself against or to subdue, defeat, or destroy an adversary.
8. to contend in any manner; strive vigorously for or against something: He fought bravely against despair.
–verb (used with object) 9. to contend with in battle or combat; war against: England fought Germany.
10. to contend with or against in any manner: to fight despair; to fight the passage of a bill.
11. to carry on (a battle, duel, etc.).
12. to maintain (a cause, quarrel, etc.) by fighting or contending.
13. to make (one's way) by fighting or striving.
14. to cause or set (a boxer, animal, etc.) to fight.
15. to manage or maneuver (troops, ships, guns, planes, etc.) in battle.
—Idioms16. fight it out, to fight until a decision is reached: Let them fight it out among themselves.
17. fight shy of. shy1 (def. 12).
18. fight with windmills. tilt1 (def. 17).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: bef. 900; (v.) ME fi(g)hten, OE fe(o)htan (c. G fechten); (n.) ME fi(g)ht, OE feohte, (ge)feoht, deriv. of the v. base]

judaspriestess
07-21-2007, 02:19 PM

by COMMON SENSE, something you obviously lack.

td4mvp21
07-21-2007, 02:20 PM

You forgot the word "immediate", dumbass. If it just said vicinity, you'd have a point.

From dictionary.com:

3. having no object or space intervening; nearest or next: in the immediate vicinity

lefty
http://www.nba.com/media/rule_book_2005-06.pdf

The official rule reads "altercation" not fight. I can't copy and paste with a pdf, but it's Section 7 part c

al·ter·ca·tion / Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[awl-ter-key-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun a heated or angry dispute; noisy argument or controversy[I][U].

[Origin: 1350–1400; ME altercacioun < L altercātiōn- (s. of altercātiō). See altercate, -ion]

—Synonyms quarrel, disagreement, clash; squabble, tiff.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/altercation

Don't bother; he is a Suns fan after all

coopdogg3

Dear Lord, do you read the rules?? It's "immediate vicinity", and if you think that Amare stayed within the "immediate vicinity" of the bench - well then you are seriously beyond hope.

Amare broke the rule. Deal with it. Duncan did not break the rule. Deal with it.

HaHaa
07-21-2007, 02:21 PM
But just so we're clear - a fight doesn't HAVE to be punches thrown either. So you're wrong on every imaginable level.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fight

fight / Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fahyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, fought, fight·ing.
–noun 1. a battle or combat.
2. any contest or struggle: a fight for recovery from an illness.
3. an angry argument or disagreement: Whenever we discuss politics, we end up in a fight.
4. Boxing. a bout or contest.
5. a game or diversion in which the participants hit or pelt each other with something harmless: a pillow fight; a water fight.
6. ability, will, or inclination to fight: There was no fight left in him.
–verb (used without object) 7. to engage in battle or in single combat; attempt to defend oneself against or to subdue, defeat, or destroy an adversary.
8. to contend in any manner; strive vigorously for or against something: He fought bravely against despair.
–verb (used with object) 9. to contend with in battle or combat; war against: England fought Germany.
10. to contend with or against in any manner: to fight despair; to fight the passage of a bill.
11. to carry on (a battle, duel, etc.).
12. to maintain (a cause, quarrel, etc.) by fighting or contending.
13. to make (one's way) by fighting or striving.
14. to cause or set (a boxer, animal, etc.) to fight.
15. to manage or maneuver (troops, ships, guns, planes, etc.) in battle.
—Idioms16. fight it out, to fight until a decision is reached: Let them fight it out among themselves.
17. fight shy of. shy1 (def. 12).
18. fight with windmills. tilt1 (def. 17).

[Origin: bef. 900; (v.) ME fi(g)hten, OE fe(o)htan (c. G fechten); (n.) ME fi(g)ht, OE feohte, (ge)feoht, deriv. of the v. base]

WOW, talk about desperate....

Everything up until now is void after reading in the rules

"all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench."

GRAY AREA ALL DAY LONG.

Don't be so angry and upset because your spurs had it handed to them! :madrun

HaHaa
07-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Dear Lord, do you read the rules?? It's "immediate vicinity", and if you think that Amare stayed within the "immediate vicinity" of the bench - well then you are seriously beyond hope.

Amare broke the rule. Deal with it. Duncan did not break the rule. Deal with it.

Haha....who gives a shit if you put "immediate" in front of it.

It's still a gray area.

Nice effort though.

td4mvp21
07-21-2007, 02:26 PM

It's still a gray area.

Nice effort though.

You forgot the word "immediate", dumbass. If it just said vicinity, you'd have a point.

From dictionary.com:

3. having no object or space intervening; nearest or next: in the immediate vicinity

Do you not fucking read? Having the word immediate in front completely eliminates a gray area. "Immediate vicinity", like I stated above, should mean that there should be no "space or object between" the player and the bench, meaning the player should remain exactly on the bench. Now move on to your next stupid point.

coopdogg3
WOW, talk about desperate....

Everything up until now is void after reading in the rules

"all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench."

GRAY AREA ALL DAY LONG.

Don't be so angry and upset because your spurs had it handed to them! :madrun

You're the one who said a fight must consist of punches thrown. You were wrong.

You're the one who said the rule states a "fight" instead of an "altercation". You were wrong.

I was just quoting you and proving you wrong.

You then stated it must be within the vicinity, as opposed to immediate vicinity. Won't say you're wrong, but you stated a half-truth.

You are now claiming that Amare somehow stayed within the immediate vicinity. Hate to break this to you, but your credibility is just about zero at this point. You've been proven incorrect in every one of your weak defenses of Amare. There is no possible, credible definition of "immediate vicinity" that Amare could have fallen under.

He left the immediate vicinity of the bench. Deal with it.

Amare broke the rule. Deal with it.

Stern enforced the rule ENTIRELY keeping within the framework of the rule, the intent of the rule, and the precedent for the rule. Deal with it.

Duncan did not break the rule. Deal with it.

HaHaa

From dictionary.com:

Ok, "dumbass".

So whats the DEFINITION of immediate vicinity???

5 ft, 10 ft, 15ft

Or you just an ignorant person who would like to think they know what they're talking about

Kori Ellis
07-21-2007, 02:27 PM

It's still a gray area.

Nice effort though.

Hahaa, the most laughable thing about this thread is you just realized today - many months after the incident that the rule says "altercation" and mentions the word "vicinity." Were you living under a rock during the playoffs?

Never mind. Don't answer that.

I've grown bored with you and this thread.

:dramaquee