PDA

View Full Version : I'd be happy if Tony went to LA

phxspurfan
07-21-2007, 10:36 PM
...After his remaining three years are done here. He has done a lot for this city but I wouldn't mind trading him before the end of his contract and getting a quality PG + some picks in return.

Why? Because going to a large market team would only help his career. He would already be a legend here (esp. if he helped us win 2 more championships). He would get the chance to become a superstar (or at least be viewed as one) in LA.

Why not? Because we would be greedy to hold onto him and might as well sell high while he is in his prime and we can get some good trade value for him. He will want to leave anyway (when TD retires), and by '09 I guarantee the writing will be on the wall.

My take:

Spurs should explore trade possibilities toward the beginning of Tony's last year in SA -- to obtain a young, talented PG + some 1st rounders in return.

This move will ensure the uninhibited development of TP's career, be good for France and the NBA. It will make the Spurs look like good people, even while they reload for some more winning in the post-Big-Three era.

mikeanthony21
07-21-2007, 10:40 PM
...After his remaining three years are done here. He has done a lot for this city but I wouldn't mind trading him before the end of his contract and getting a quality PG + some picks in return.

Why? Because going to a large market team would only help his career. He would already be a legend here (esp. if he helped us win 2 more championships). He would get the chance to become a superstar (or at least be viewed as one) in LA.

Why not? Because we would be greedy to hold onto him and might as well sell high while he is in his prime and we can get some good trade value for him. He will want to leave anyway (when TD retires), and by '09 I guarantee the writing will be on the wall.

My take:

Spurs should explore trade possibilities toward the beginning of Tony's last year in SA -- to obtain a young, talented PG + some 1st rounders in return.

This move will ensure the uninhibited development of TP's career, be good for France and the NBA. It will make the Spurs look like good people, even while they reload for some more winning in the post-Big-Three era.

Just how many years are left on his contract?

E20
07-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Right now, I don't even want to think of an era where there is no Tim, Tony, Manu, and Pop. I will cry like a fucking baby and be depressed for the whole season. This will be worse than anything, except death of a family member. I will be CRUSHED, not even a Stallone movie would raise my spirits. So, let's not talk about the future right now.

dav4463
07-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Right now, I don't even want to think of an era where there is no Tim, Tony, Manu, and Pop. I will cry like a fucking baby and be depressed for the whole season. This will be worse than anything, except death of a family member. I will be CRUSHED, not even a Stallone movie would raise my spirits. So, let's not talk about the future right now.

I'm with you. I dread the day when we have to be like Hawks fans or Knicks fans with no hope of a championship. Let's just not think about that right now. Enjoy what we have!

THE SIXTH MAN
07-21-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty sure they're going to try and extend his contract the year before its up. I don't know what his contract is about, but he could probably have that clause where he can deny a trade if he doesn't want to be traded. But if you believe in what he says right now this is where he wants to be as long as Tim and Pop are here.

Anyways the Spurs will cross that bridge when they get to it. Right now I'll enjoy what we got right now.

E20
07-21-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm with you. I dread the day when we have to be like Hawks fans or Knicks fans with no hope of a championship. Let's just not think about that right now. Enjoy what we have!
Besides that, I've grown attached to these guys so fucking much, like they're relatives or brothers of mine and I would break down and cry, because my only emotional weakness is the Spurs, I've cried every big regular/playoff game losses and series losses and would hate to see them go. I'm sure there are old school fans here that felt the same way about DRob or Gervin. The day the Spurs have a new face of players I will lock myself in a dark room and put on some sad music.

dav4463
07-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Besides that, I've grown attached to these guys so fucking much, like they're relatives or brothers of mine and I would break down and cry, because my only emotional weakness is the Spurs, I've cried every big regular/playoff game losses and series losses and would hate to see them go. I'm sure there are old school fans here that felt the same way about DRob or Gervin. The day the Spurs have a new face of players I will lock myself in a dark room and put on some sad music.

It's a special organization. I was a kid, but I remember the old Spurs very well. I lived and died with each game just as I do now. New Spurs replace old Spurs, but it's all one big family. This group is the greatest ever, but I'll always have a soft spot for Gervin, Silas, Gale, Kenon, Paultz, and then later...Mitchell, Gilmore, and Edgar Jones and that group.

Slydragon
07-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Tim retires, silly you :drunk

Brutalis
07-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Either our 'rebuilding' days are ahead, or we trade up. That or land a big player next summer along with Splitter. The immediate future is good at least.

lefty
07-21-2007, 11:33 PM

But we do have a better front office...NY and Atlanta have none

DynastyBuilder
07-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Tony is signed through 2010-2011

link (http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm)

ducks
07-21-2007, 11:52 PM
who will be in la in three years?

hopefully spurs will have a good young big to play with tp in SA
tony could be the man here with no duncan
he will need another star with him to win a title

ducks
07-21-2007, 11:57 PM
But we do have a better front office...NY and Atlanta have none
true spurs hit the lottery when duncan and david are in the draft

lefty
07-22-2007, 12:00 AM
true spurs hit the lottery when duncan and david are in the draft

Ok, we've been a bit lucky

ducks
07-22-2007, 12:02 AM
true but spurs will smart enough to pick them
david some might have passed due to his navy obligations

BigBeezie
07-22-2007, 12:06 AM
We're talking multi-team-trade here. The Lakers don't have a good PG, and I don't see them drafting one. They are too stupid to land anyone worth giving up TP for.

SenorSpur
07-22-2007, 12:14 AM
It's a special organization. I was a kid, but I remember the old Spurs very well. I lived and died with each game just as I do now. New Spurs replace old Spurs, but it's all one big family. This group is the greatest ever, but I'll always have a soft spot for Gervin, Silas, Gale, Kenon, Paultz, and then later...Mitchell, Gilmore, and Edgar Jones and that group.

well said. Same with me. I've been living and dying with these guys for a while now. In fact, the '79 ECF series versus the Bullets and the Game 7 robbery was the absolute worst officiated game I've ever watched. Maybe the refs were on the take then too..? Nah!

Back to the thread, the Spurs can and will weigh their options the year before PArker's contract is up. Right now, they simply need to focus on winning as many championships as possible while Tim is here. It'll be a dark day when he goes.

lefty
07-22-2007, 12:54 AM
true but spurs will smart enough to pick them
david some might have passed due to his navy obligations

And let's not forget that TP and Manu were steals

phxspurfan
07-23-2007, 12:51 AM
We're talking multi-team-trade here. The Lakers don't have a good PG, and I don't see them drafting one. They are too stupid to land anyone worth giving up TP for.

That's exactly what I was envisioning. I'm no trade-projecting machine, but I assume the following:

a. The Spurs would undoubtedly want a quality PG or ballhandler in return for TP, at least to fill the void of letting him go.

b. The LA Lakers currently have no real PG talent that would be worth us giving up a TP to obtain;

c. The above two assumptions necessitate the involvement of a third team (with a good PG to trade -- CP3, for example) to satify SA enough to deal TP

d. What ties all these together in one scenario is the fact that TP is now married to a budding actress whose career would be best suited to develop in Hollywood, and the TP we are talking about is already nicknamed "Hollywood" by his teammates. He would be ready to leave SA for the big show.

Summary: I think TP will want to leave SA when Duncan -- and thus Pop -- retire, to go where Eva will want to go. It would also be good for him to go to a large market to gain some recognition for HOF consideration. I think SA would get something good in return and start fresh. And hey, who knows -- he would proably be welcomed back to SA at the completion of his 3 or 4 year contract in LA (to retire as a Spur).

The deal breaker here would be Duncan. He could easily not announce his retirement at the end of his contract, and thus extend everybody's stay in the Alamo city. In this case, I would easily see TP (and possibly Manu) extending their contracts and retiring as Spurs.

J.T.
07-23-2007, 01:08 AM
TP just won finals MVP and you're talking about trading him for a "quality" PG?

Did you consider TP's growth over the last two seasons and apply that to the years remaining between now and when Duncan retires (at least 5 seasons imo)?

Just because all of the hot shit young point guards like Deron Williams and Chris Paul are getting handjobs from ESPN all year doesn't mean Tony needs to be traded after Duncan retires. Or even before that in return for a "better" player.

J.T.
07-23-2007, 01:09 AM
Also Eva's family is from Texas, what makes you think she'll want to leave when the Dynasty breaks up?

stéphane
07-23-2007, 01:21 AM
This trade project is based upon the stability of a mariage...
don't be too hasty landing him in LA :)

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2007, 01:42 AM
By 2011 this could very well be TP's team. TD will have perhaps 1 or 2 seasons left in his career. Manu may be out of the picture altogether. Who knows where Tony's wife will be at with her career, or even if they will still be married. Anyways, enjoy the next 4 seasons and worry about it then.

inconvertible
07-23-2007, 02:38 AM
trade him straight up for chris paul.

Kori Ellis
07-23-2007, 03:23 AM
With Tony and Eva building a home next to Tim in San Antonio and Eva/Tony saying they want to have a few babies, who knows if she will even be in Hollywood when Tony's contract is up in four years.

Anyway, Spurs fans are weird. I've never seen so much planning about what's going to happen four years from now and I don't get why people are quick to shuffle Tony out the door. He's gotten so much better year to year that by 2011 he could be a player that is so good you'd never want to trade him. And the Spurs could have an awesome big man by then and the whole cycle of winning keep going.

Enjoy these times Spurs fans and stop sitting around planning for the 2011-12 season of destruction :lol

JPB
07-23-2007, 03:47 AM
With Tony and Eva building a home next to Tim in San Antonio and Eva/Tony saying they want to have a few babies, who knows if she will even be in Hollywood when Tony's contract is up in four years.

Anyway, Spurs fans are weird. I've never seen so much planning about what's going to happen four years from now and I don't get why people are quick to shuffle Tony out the door. He's gotten so much better year to year that by 2011 he could be a player that is so good you'd never want to trade him. And the Spurs could have an awesome big man by then and the whole cycle of winning keep going.

Enjoy these times Spurs fans and stop sitting around planning for the 2011-12 season of destruction :lol

:tu

J.T.
07-23-2007, 04:06 AM
I've never seen so much planning about what's going to happen four years from now and I don't get why people are quick to shuffle Tony out the door. He's gotten so much better year to year that by 2011 he could be a player that is so good you'd never want to trade him.

QFT

Soon we'll all be laughing that the Spurs tried to sign Jason Kidd because they didn't think Tony was ready. Hell, I'm laughing about that now.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2007, 08:57 AM

My take:

Maybe we could send Tim up to New York as well :rolleyes

Stupid post. Make the Spurs look like good people? WTF is that? They're already considered good people, now you want them to be a charity for the rest of the league?

Hey, Cleveland needs a two guard, maybe we could send Manu out to them for some nachos and a beer to be named later...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2007, 09:00 AM
d. What ties all these together in one scenario is the fact that TP is now married to a budding actress whose career would be best suited to develop in Hollywood, and the TP we are talking about is already nicknamed "Hollywood" by his teammates. He would be ready to leave SA for the big show.

What ties this together is the absurdity of you planning a trade of a guy three years from now based on assumption that he's still married to Eva at that point.

Name the last 'Hollywood' high profile wedding that didn't result in a divorce in a short period of time.

So his teammates are calling him Hollywood, bfd. Everyone on the Spurs calls Tim 'Merlin', I don't see him moving to Vegas to star in a magic show.

How old are you, 12?

samikeyp
07-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Screw that.

Spur por vida

jay014
07-23-2007, 08:27 PM

My take:

I'D BE HAPPY IF YOU WENT TO L.A.

clubalien
07-23-2007, 08:50 PM
rebound to ian, and off to tony... tony running ian trailing dunk for 2

the french connection
the future for the spurs is very bright

clubalien
07-23-2007, 08:55 PM

Anyway, Spurs fans are weird. I've never seen so much planning about what's going to happen four years from now and I don't get why people are quick to shuffle Tony out the door.

spurs fans are recting to tim is getting older

were lucky to have tim after david

if you don't plan you go from chapionsip bullls to lottery team

we don't want to be boston

justanotherspursfan
07-23-2007, 09:06 PM
http://www.sunnews.com/images/2006/0727/reilly2.jpg

Frenchy can drive.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-23-2007, 09:25 PM

My take:

c/s this 100%

trade him with an 1-2 years left, get an All Star big man or PG in return

he's going to leave SA when his tim ei sup