PDA

View Full Version : If Malone WERE to come to San Antonio...

Dex
12-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Before this thing goes up in flames, just hold on, there is a topic here!

If Malone were signed to San Antonio tonight, do you think he should be placed in the starting lineup? As things seem to currently be going, the answer would seem to be yes merely to deal with the dissapearance of one seven-foot Slovenian.

Were that the case, do you think Pop would play Karl at center or move Duncan over? Malone has never really played center before, whereas Duncan has proven he is able to do so admirably (on the National team and in Athens). However, that raises the issue of dislodging Timmy from his preffered position to include Malone, which presents immediate chemistry issues and play changes.

The only other option is to let Malone come off the bench along with Rose for Tim/Rasho, but fails to deal with an ailing Nesterovic. Granted, I doubt Pop will 'pull a Manu' with Rasho simply because he always seems to try to squeeze the potential out of these players. Regardless, throwing Malone into an already busy frontcourt would definitely provide a challenge for this team, especially in the middle of a season.

Furthermore, it all but reserves Sean Marks seat on the bench until next season. :blah

Your thoughts?

Streakyshooter08
12-09-2004, 06:15 PM
I would try to start him along with Timmy. Malik and Rasho would share the backup minutes based on matchups. But I think Pop has his own thougts about that. I don't like Malone either but it would be better to get him and keep him away from Minny or Miami.

Timmy/ Rasho
Karl/ Malik/ Horry
Bruce/ Devin
Manu/ Brent
Tony/ Beno

Looks pretty good to me. But chemistry is a big part of a successfull team so I am not sure how it would work out in reality... I think signing Malone for the minimum is not a big risk...

:spin

BigVee
12-09-2004, 06:17 PM
You start him in Rasho's spot. He would hit so many of those 15ft jumpers your head would spin.

CosmicCowboy
12-09-2004, 06:25 PM
If Malone were signed to San Antonio tonight, do you think he should be placed in the starting lineup?

he should certainly be worked into the starting lineup once he is familiar with our system...

Were that the case, do you think Pop would play Karl at center or move Duncan over?

the lines between the 4 and 5 have gotten very fuzzy in the NBA anyway...I think a frontcourt of Duncan and a healthy Malone would scare the crap out of most teams whatever you called the position they played...

Furthermore, it all but reserves Sean Marks seat on the bench until next season.

If Seans paychecks keep cashing and he gets a ring out of the deal hopefully he will understand and be patient...Malone will be a short term solution but its a business and you can't say no to an all time top 50 if he decides to play...

Useruser666
12-09-2004, 06:35 PM
5 + 4 = 9

4.5 + 4.5 = 9

johnny00
12-09-2004, 06:37 PM
You start him in Rasho's spot. He would hit so many of those 15ft jumpers your head would spin.

Great point Big Vee...besides sitting Rasho's ass down, coming off the bench maybe the motivation he needs to get his game going. Lord knows Pop has CATERED to Softo since he's been here!

Kori Ellis
12-09-2004, 06:37 PM
If Malone were really healthy, I think that he'd already be on an NBA roster. I still don't get the drama of waiting months if he is already healthy. And I don't think he'd start if he ever ended up here.

johnny00
12-09-2004, 06:41 PM
^^^ Probably not Kori but how long do you think it would take Pop to replace Rasho in the starting minutes of a game with Malone on the bench? And how many minutes would Karl end up playing?

Kori Ellis
12-09-2004, 06:42 PM
I think he would play around 15mpg.

CosmicCowboy
12-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Kori, I certainly respect your opinion but having had 4 procedures similar to Malones I can understand that he wanted to go through the FULL rehab process before getting back on the court...plus, it gave him a chance to see how all the teams and personalities were playing out and consider all the facts before he made a final decision...

CosmicCowboy
12-09-2004, 06:51 PM
The Lakers would obviously have been the easiest team for Malone to go back to but it is obvious that he had reservations about Kobe after Buss handed him the keys and wanted to wait and see how it played out...as it turns out, it looks like he made the right choice...

Kori Ellis
12-09-2004, 06:51 PM
CC -- I agree with what you are saying regarding his knee. But HE is saying he's totally 100% healthy right now, that's what I'm disagreeing with. I don't think he is healthy and ready-to-go and I think he also used this time to see if the Lakers were going to be good. And since they aren't, he made up an excuse with this "fight" with Kobe so that he wouldn't have to go to a non-contending team. In the end, I don't think he'll come back at all.

PM5K
12-09-2004, 06:56 PM
I don't know if he should or would eventually start but initially I would bring him off the bench because of his recent injury, if he gets started to quickly he might get tendinitis, especially at his age ;-)

Phenomanul
12-09-2004, 08:11 PM
If he goes to Miami, what then???

ChumpDumper
12-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Malone isn't a shot blocker. Rasho starts -- plays fewer minutes.

T Park
12-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Rasho cant start.

Hes got 9 boards and 5 blocks tonight

That totally sucks

Come on.