PDA

View Full Version : Kaman gets in first full workout with Clippers

ducks
10-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Kaman gets in first full workout with Clippers
Associated Press

PALM DESERT, Calif. (AP) _ Rookie center Chris Kaman got in a full contact workout for the first time Thursday at the Los Angeles Clippers' training camp.

The 7-foot, 268-pound center out of Central Michigan had been sidelined because of a herniated disk in his back. He rode a stationary bike and watched practices from the sidelines earlier this week.

Coach Mike Dunleavy said Kaman's recuperating faster than expected.

The Clippers first thought Kaman, their first draft pick and the sixth player taken in the draft, might be sidelined for the first exhibition game, Tuesday at Sacramento.

``That's good news that he was able to go up and down the court,'' Dunleavy said after the workout. ``He was pretty active. That's all you want.

``He was running the plays against the defense and he looked good. It's actually earlier than planned. I don't want a relapse; I'd rather take our time and make sure we get it right.''

Kaman said he was becoming increasingly frustrated just sitting on the sidelines and was eager to get on the court.

``I know I can compete and I want to get out there. I'm still a little rusty, but I know the plays. It's been a struggle, but I finally got to run up and down the court. I feel really good. It didn't bother me at all, even right now,'' he said shortly after practice.

``I'll do some stretching and yoga and hopefully prevent some of that tightness in my back. It's slowly getting better and going away and that's great news. It's helpful for me to know I can get past this.'' link (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=24273022)