View Full Version : Donaghy isn't only one with gambling addiction

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2007, 10:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/070723

Donaghy isn't only one with gambling addiction

By Scoop Jackson
Page 2
ESPN.com

So a ref got cracked. Surprised? And if the NBA thought it had problems before (conspiracy theories, image issues, fights, low television ratings, the Eastern Conference, Kobe's soap operas, Ron Artest, Mark Cuban, etc.) … we ain't seen nothin' yet.

Because isolated incident or not, at the root of the latest (and probably biggest) problem damaging the integrity of the league is not the fixing and/or controlling scores of games or the alleged connection to the mob and the Gambino family. At the root of the Tim Donaghy issue is the one thing that has plagued all sports since the day man met ball and discovered competition could be a business: gambling.

Up until this point everything we've read about how Donaghy got himself into this situation originates with him "having a gambling problem."

It happens all the time in sports. Vegas was built because of it. (Think an NBA team has a chance in hell of being in Vegas now?) Horse racing and boxing might not exist without it. Fans, athletes, coaches, owners, scouts, refs, all get trapped. Hooked. Caught up in the extracurricular circumstance of what gambling brings. They want the rush of the game inside the game, the extra incentive to make the game being played, or the race being raced, or the contest being judged worth more than what's at stake on the playing field.

In Michael Lemonick's recent cover story in Time called "How We Get Addicted," he raises the issue of dependency and writes to a certain degree that "it's the brains, not the guts" that drive people's compulsions.

"Addictions," Joseph Frascella, director of the division of clinical neuroscience at the National Institute on Drug Abuse, says in the story, "are repetitive behaviors in the face of negative consequences, the desire to continue something you know is bad for you."

The possible addiction that forced Donaghy to call some games the way that he allegedly did, which led to this story, may have began with his inability to stop gambling. If we all take a look at sports over the years, there are many incidents that have made us question "things" that have happened in all sports, made us fall out of love with our heroes in the game, and reminded us that inside of sports there are flawed human beings. It's sports' new DNA. And even with this latest scandal's being exposed, there's really nothing that can be done that's going to change or stop something like this from happening again.

And Donaghy's not alone. Not saying that other officials will come forward or get caught (although there are reports saying that when Donaghy turns himself in he might verbally bring "others" down with him), but the fact is he is not the first, only or last person directly connected to professional sports who will have his or her career destroyed because of an inability to stop that itch.

I personally know of players who have debts to people in the streets that exceed $6 million. I've had loan sharks and "collectors" who speak on behalf of "boss men" come up to me and tell me to deliver messages to certain players that I have written about.

As Tom Shine of Reebok said in a GQ article, "I know of an NBA player who got into a staggering gambling situation. The people this guy lost money to, they were not nice guys. Wes (William Wesley, the man the article was about) saved him from getting killed."

I've been at dice games, at craps tables, in basements, in alleys, at golf outings, as part of conversations. I've seen players get so over their heads in "liability" from gambling that their careers have been sacrificed because they can no longer concentrate on the game because they can't get their minds away from the money they owe and the money they are chasing.

I've learned that when it comes to gambling in professional sports: It comes with the territory.

That's why I'm not surprised at what happened with Tim Donaghy. That's why none of us should be. Sad? Yes, we should be, but not surprised. We all need to understand that gambling -- not greed, not arrogance, not ignorance, not business -- is what caused this to happen. The power that gambling has on those that compete at this level -- and that power sometimes includes those who don't just play the game -- is indefinable. Refs, when it comes to this, are just as susceptible. They are players too.

Stanley H. Teitelbaum wrote in "Sports Heroes, Fallen Idols" of athletes: "Their personal interactions are often colored by (an) inflated view of themselves. It requires great emotional maturity to maintain relationships based on equality and reciprocity when you are surrounded by people eager to anticipate your every need." Think Pete Rose, Charles Barkley, John Daly, Michael Jordan. Think of the range of innocence and illegality. Think of what's at the core of the Michael Vick dogfighting scandal.

I thought you knew.

Now think Tim Donaghy.

Every one of us has a vice. An NBA ref let his get out of control, and it got the best of him. And it might take the NBA years to gain the public's trust back after this one. But until we acknowledge that point shaving, mob ties and game fixing are not the real issue here, that someone's gambling addiction is, this ugliness will rear its ugly head again. Just the next time, none of us can act like we didn't see it coming.

Scoop Jackson is a columnist for Page 2 and a contributor to ESPN The Magazine. He's also the host of ESPN Original Entertainment's "NBA Live: Bring It Home".

clubalien
07-23-2007, 10:54 PM
is pops bad coaching fixing games?
i just don't see pop fixin games

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2007, 10:55 PM
So a ref got cracked. Surprised? And if the NBA thought it had problems before (conspiracy theories, image issues, fights, low television ratings, the Eastern Conference, Kobe's soap operas, Ron Artest, Mark Cuban, etc.) … we ain't seen nothin' yet.

No doubt. Right now in another league the most coveted record of that sport is about to be broken by a player who cheated through the use of banned performance enhancing drugs. Such use was apparently widespread among players in that league over the last couple of decades. But nothing seems to stick to America's pasttime. Meanwhile one measly ref shaved some points in the NBA and the league is about to be crucified for it.

ShoogarBear
07-24-2007, 12:05 AM
No doubt. Right now in another league the most coveted record of that sport is about to be broken by a player who cheated through the use of banned performance enhancing drugs. Such use was apparently widespread among players in that league over the last couple of decades. But nothing seems to stick to America's pasttime. Meanwhile one measly ref shaved some points in the NBA and the league is about to be crucified for it.http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74581

It's been said many times that baseball is so great a game that not even the people running it can screw it up. Or as James Earl Jones says in "Field of Dreams" a little more eloquently, "This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again." :lmao :lmao :lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-24-2007, 12:05 AM
is pops bad coaching fixing games?
i just don't see pop fixin games

Dude, where do you even come up with takes like that? WTF?

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 12:29 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74581

:lmao :lmao :lmao

I'm envisioning James Earl Jones' voice telling Barry Bonds "people will come" as he's getting a roid shot in the ass. It's time to stop drinking.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 12:34 AM
Before I forget, I think football has reached baseball's teflon status. In spite of the Bengals, Pacman, and Vick the league is stronger than ever. Then again, how formidable of a foe is PETA?

justanotherspursfan
07-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Before I forget, I think football has reached baseball's teflon status. In spite of the Bengals, Pacman, and Vick the league is stronger than ever. Then again, how formidable of a foe is PETA?
I know. WTF? I think MNF could start "Michael Vick's Dogfights sponsored by Miller Lite" as a halftime feature and they wouldn't be criticized.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-24-2007, 12:36 AM
And if the NBA thought it had problems before (conspiracy theories, image issues, fights, low television ratings, the Eastern Conference, Kobe's soap operas, Ron Artest, Mark Cuban, etc.) … we ain't seen nothin' yet.

Okay, now that was hilarious!

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Why is the NBA held to a different standard? Is it as simple as basketball is viewed as a 'black game' by Middle America while baseball and football are not?

ShoogarBear
07-24-2007, 12:40 AM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos3/2002-09-04-williams.jpg

Are you ready for some dogfights?

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Somehow Steve Howe managed to have a 17 year career in Major League Baseball. He had his demons, but 17 years?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-24-2007, 12:41 AM
I don't see how football isn't considered black either, i can count good white non qb football players on one hand.

I don't think its racism, I think its just run of the mill generic favoritism. NBA is like the problem child the media loves to thrash around once in a while.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 12:47 AM
After the MJ-PJ Bulls disbanded, the lockout, and the Knicks and Celtics becoming perennial lottery teams perhaps that was too good for 'sports journalists' to pass up.

Still, the NBA always seems to be the sport mentioned when a media type is looking to dump on the modern pro athlete. Just as much shady and criminal shit goes on with NFL and MLB players. Given that Middle America seems to have a problem distinguishing between 'black' and 'criminal', I'm not that surprised.

UV Ray
07-24-2007, 12:52 AM
My name is UV Ray and I'm a gambling addict.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 01:06 AM
UV Ray, what do you say?

UV Ray
07-24-2007, 01:09 AM
UV Ray, what do you say?

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Sorry man, I can't hear you.

UV Ray
07-24-2007, 01:12 AM
em pleh

T Park
07-24-2007, 01:16 AM
so no one sees the difference between getting bigger physically and being WWE like?

Greatness.

T Park
07-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Given that Middle America seems to have a problem distinguishing between 'black' and 'criminal', I'm not that surprised.

the NFL is mostly black and America loves it.

is middle america still stupid and racist like your hinting at?

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 01:23 AM
so no one sees the difference between getting bigger physically and being WWE like?

Greatness.

Try "getting bigger" illegally. Anyways, steroids were a banned substance in MLB.

Anyways, it's cheating. It's like corking the bat. It invalidates the game. It doesn't matter if the umpires call the game fair.

So no difference.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 01:26 AM

African-Americans do not dominate the NFL as they do the NBA. Look at who America loves in the NFL. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Brett Favre, Troy Aikman, and Joe Montana before them. Who gets all the credit? They do.

E20
07-24-2007, 01:28 AM
3 major popular ball sports: Basketball, Football, Baseball:

Baseball can never be looked down upon. The United States is the birthplace of baseball, where it has long been regarded as more than just a "major sport"; for many decades, it has been popularly referred to as the "national pastime" and Major League Baseball has been given a unique monopoly status by the Supreme Court of the United States.

Football can never be looked down upon by Americans. It's giving a big middle finger to the rest of the world and the soccer world saying: You maybe the most popular sport, but we still call it soccer and not football bitches.

That leaves Basketball to take the beating.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 01:29 AM
3 major popular ball sports: Basketball, Football, Baseball:

Baseball can never be looked down upon. The United States is the birthplace of baseball, where it has long been regarded as more than just a "major sport"; for many decades, it has been popularly referred to as the "national pastime" and Major League Baseball has been given a unique monopoly status by the Supreme Court of the United States.

Football can never be looked down upon by Americans. It's giving a big middle finger to the rest of the world and the soccer world saying: You maybe the most popular sport, but we still call it soccer and not football bitches.

That leaves Basketball to take the beating.

Did basketball originate in Argentina?

E20
07-24-2007, 01:30 AM
Did basketball originate in Argentina?
Some Canadian dude made it in upstate NY(? I think) as a winter sport for the kiddes, used a peach basket LMAO.....another reason it takes the beating

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Some Canadian dude made it in upstate NY(? I think) as a winter sport for the kiddes, used a peach basket LMAO.....another reason it takes the beating

Probably why Indiana still loves it.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 01:38 AM

Off topic, but interesting nonetheless. That "Canadian dude" was James Naismith, who coached at the University of Kansas. One of his players was Phog Allen, who eventually became coach there. Allen coached Dean Smith, who went on to coach at the University of North Carolina, where one of his players was Larry Brown. When Larry Brown coached the Spurs, Gregg Popovich was his lead assistant.

So Naismith -> Allen -> Smith -> Brown -> Popovich. Not bad.

E20
07-24-2007, 01:39 AM
About the NFL, IMO I think it's the most watched sport and popular in the US, because it alienates Americans from the rest of the world, makes USA unique. American football isn't revered around the rest of the world like Baseball and Basketball is, so it gives us Americans the sense of orginality and uniquness that we are so into it, while the rest of the world is into Soccer/Futbol. That's my opnion though.

E20
07-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Off topic, but interesting nonetheless. That "Canadian dude" was James Naismith, who coached at the University of Kansas. One of his players was Phog Allen, who eventually became coach there. Allen coached Dean Smith, who went on to coach at the University of North Carolina, where one of his players was Larry Brown. When Larry Brown coached the Spurs, Gregg Popovich was his lead assistant.

So Naismith -> Allen -> Smith -> Brown -> Popovich. Not bad.
I was being sarcastic when I said Dude....:lol I know who James Naismith is. He also has some sort of institue in Springfield. :lol

mathbzh
07-24-2007, 02:54 AM
About the NFL, IMO I think it's the most watched sport and popular in the US, because it alienates Americans from the rest of the world, makes USA unique. American football isn't revered around the rest of the world like Baseball and Basketball is, so it gives us Americans the sense of orginality and uniquness that we are so into it, while the rest of the world is into Soccer/Futbol. That's my opnion though.

Actually Baseball isn't revered around the world (at least not in France). I never saw a Baseball game on TV in france.
I would say the Football is a bit more known here (the Superbowl is on TV since a few years).
To be fair basketball is not a major sport in France (maybe Tony Parker is making things change) like it is in Greece, Lithuania, Slovenia, Serbia, Russia,...).

Here it is :
1) Soccer
2) Rugby (sort of Football)
3) Basketball and Handball (way behind)

T Park
07-24-2007, 04:29 AM
African-Americans do not dominate the NFL as they do the NBA

LT
Larry Johnson
Stephen Jackson
Reggie Wayne and a host of others would disagree.

T Park
07-24-2007, 04:32 AM
Try "getting bigger" illegally. Anyways, steroids were a banned substance in MLB.

Anyways, it's cheating. It's like corking the bat. It invalidates the game. It doesn't matter if the umpires call the game fair.

So no difference

wrong again. Steroids were never "banned" in baseball.

It is cheating I agree. It does not however "invalidate the game"

Rigging the game where there is competition is invalidation.

When the players take steroids they arent rigging the game. They still have to compete and win.

So you see zero difference between getting stronger, and a ref deciding before hand "This team won't win so I can win the parlay"

?
If not, then step back.

T Park
07-24-2007, 04:34 AM
Look at who America loves in the NFL. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Brett Favre, Troy Aikman, and Joe Montana before them. Who gets all the credit? They do.

while they are popular, the league is still dominated by african americans.

The new QB sensation in oakland is AA.

look at fantasty football drafts 1-5.

Stephen Jackson, Larry Johnson, LT, Frank Gore, Shaun Alexander.

All african american.

So wrong again.

Kori Ellis
07-24-2007, 05:59 AM

All african american.

So wrong again.

There's a big difference between which players are generally loved by America and which players are drafted high in fantasy drafts. Of course the top fantasy running backs are going to be black. You pick the players that are going to help your fantasy team the most - and there aren't any good white running backs.

Reggie Miller
07-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Probably why Indiana still loves it.

Yep, pretty much.

Also, when you live in the middle of nowhere (i.e. most of the state of Indiana), you can still shoot at the hoop at the end of the driveway all by your lonesome. You really can't do that with any other sport.

In Indiana, football was always a distant third to baseball and basketball until the Colts moved to Indy. Before the Malice at the Palace, Indianapolis was still the Pacers' town to lose. The Colts winning the Superbowl has permanently altered the balance of power, methinks...

ShoogarBear
07-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Some Canadian dude made it in upstate NY(? I think) as a winter sport for the kiddes, used a peach basket LMAO.....another reason it takes the beatingActually it wasn't in NY but a little ole burg in Massachusetts by the name of Springfield.

I think they have some kind of famous building there related to basketball.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 11:12 AM
wrong again. Steroids were never "banned" in baseball.

Yes they were.

It is cheating I agree. It does not however "invalidate the game"

Rigging the game where there is competition is invalidation.

When the players take steroids they arent rigging the game. They still have to compete and win.

So you have a situation in which some players are playing unfairly. Beyond that, the cheating directly called into question the validity of the player's performance, specifically their home run totals. And of course it was their ability to hit home runs which brought attention to the game in the 90s. So you have players cheating to break two of the most coveted records of all time (most HRs hit in a season and most career HRs).

So you see zero difference between getting stronger, and a ref deciding before hand "This team won't win so I can win the parlay"

?
If not, then step back.

Yeah, they were just "getting stronger". Yeah. It's a fake competition. And the use was widespread. So far we have maybe one ref who was shaving points.

What happened in MLB was far worse than that.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2007, 11:14 AM

All african american.

So wrong again.

Again, you missed the point. The racial composition of the NFL is far different than the NBA's. And the most popular players are white.

E20
07-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Actually Baseball isn't revered around the world (at least not in France). I never saw a Baseball game on TV in france.
I would say the Football is a bit more known here (the Superbowl is on TV since a few years).
To be fair basketball is not a major sport in France (maybe Tony Parker is making things change) like it is in Greece, Lithuania, Slovenia, Serbia, Russia,...).

Here it is :
1) Soccer
2) Rugby (sort of Football)
3) Basketball and Handball (way behind)
Not in Europe, they have the cousin sport there Cricket, but in Eastern Asia and South America baseball is pretty popular there.

@Shoog:

I was being sarcastic when I said "Dude".... I know who James Naismith is. He also has some sort of institue in Springfield.

smeagol
07-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Not in Europe, they have the cousin sport there Cricket, but in Eastern Asia and South America baseball is pretty popular there.

Nobody cares about baseball in S. America except in Venezuela.

Nevertheless, it is very popular in Mexico and Central America. I guess it has to do with the US' cultural influence over that region.

urunobili
07-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Nobody cares about baseball in S. America except in Venezuela.

Nevertheless, it is very popular in Mexico and Central America. I guess it has to do with the US' cultural influence over that region.

not entirely true... Basketball is Huge in Brazil and Argentina.. their leagues always fill the stadiums.. which size ofcourse is 10 times smaller than soccer

ShoogarBear
07-24-2007, 01:28 PM
not entirely true... Basketball is Huge in Brazil and Argentina.. their leagues always fill the stadiums.. which size ofcourse is 10 times smaller than soccerHe said BASEball.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-24-2007, 02:09 PM

The face of the NFL is Peyton and Tom Brady. 'Nuff said.

Findog
07-24-2007, 02:16 PM
The face of the NFL is Peyton and Tom Brady. 'Nuff said.

They're missing out on some amazing marketing opportunities:

"The Cincinnati Bengals...Live From Folsom Prison..."

ShoogarBear
07-24-2007, 02:36 PM
They're missing out on some amazing marketing opportunities:

"The Cincinnati Bengals...Live From Folsom Prison..."I hope you're not a Cowboy fan.

Findog
07-24-2007, 03:01 PM
I hope you're not a Cowboy fan.

Why, yes I am. Why do you ask?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/410186998_d65c4a3276.jpg

ShoogarBear
07-24-2007, 03:04 PM
:lol

The avatar fits in with the theme, too.

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 04:45 PM

True ... Vick's Nikes are still flying out of inventory. :fro

O-Factor
07-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I fucking hate Scoop Jackson. That fool thinks he is so street. He writes as if he has all this street cred, but he is the farthest thing from the ghetto and went to an Ivy league school....and he hates the Spurs.